We want more info on "armor coating".

OP Zakspeeeed

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 39
  4. 40
  5. ...
  6. 41
So I had to copy and paste my whole topic from the Halo Infinite thread and put it here since it was locked because I mentioned armor coatings.. even though it's about a lot more than armor coatings..

So, I'm all for innovation, but for what reason did they have to get rid of color customization in favor of these armor coatings? It's not like they'll ever really tell us the reason, but I doubt it's due to hardware limitations.. my guess? You can sell them out the yin yang, and if the direction of gaming has showed me anything, it's that if they can probably make money off of it.. they will. I'm sorry to sound jaded, and I'm not trying to kill anyone's vibe here, but why take something away that has been a part of the series from the very beginning? This may not seem as big of a deal compared to when they tried to kill off split screen with Halo 5 so they can sell you another xbox and copy of the game, but it's up there.. it's beginning to look more like they're willing to sell us features rather than let us have them as a feature to have the freedom of messing around with to our heart's content, and it's a direction that scares me for the future of the franchise. I'm asking for major transparency.. at least more than we've gotten, like, if they really want this game to succeed.. no, if they want Halo as a franchise to succeed, they should probably quit being so hush hush about it.. hype isn't a tool devs should rely on to build interest in their games, it's been proven to backfire just as bad as it can work out (Cyberpunk).. but transparency and communication with the fans? That's a good way to ensure you know what they want and is way less likely to crash and burn. And it's not like we're asking for a tell all or anything, we just want more details on a more frequent basis.. for a lot of us, halo has been a stable of our lives.. for me, there wasn't anything better than all those sleepless night playing halo split screen with my friends, from dressing the same and jumping into matches together, building whatever we wanted, or playing the latest goofy custom game we could come across. When it comes down to it, all we want is for Halo to succeed, it hasn't been living up to it's name over the years and 343 needs to get it together, they can't afford to continue launching their games as bug riddled messes devoid of features.. I doubt microsoft will get rid of them if it doesn't work out, but how long can they continue to count on that?
Making things even worse - people would love coatings if it increased cosmetic options. Imagine a per-armor coating system. I want a hot rod left arm and an animal print right art.
I'm happy to see this thread up top again. It's an important feature for many and I think 343i need to announce in detail how it all works. Can entire sets be earned without spending, can we earn sets across multiplayer and campaign or not, why can't we colour them, how many are there or what's the projected number, etc etc. There are countless questions, answers or explanations are required.
A lot of people don't seem to realize the implications of armor coatings and what it could escalate into. But to be honest its always like that. Microtransactions start slow and evolve into something predatory because gaming communities are naïve. I'm not sure if I'm more angry at Microsoft for pushing those practices or at all these players who keep downplaying the issue and purchasing microtransactions. Many fans realize the dangerous precedent that armor coatings is setting, many look at the promotional codes on cookies and monster cans and realize that Halo is slowly going to -Yoink-. But many others will continue to pretend its not a big deal, just like they did with Halo 5 and requisitions. If Halo becomes a monetization fest, players will be just as responsible as Microsoft for allowing it to happen. If 10 years ago, someone would have told me that Bungie is going to monetize armor colors, I would have laughed at their face. But now the joke is becoming reality.... Yeah.... that's how low the gaming industry has gotten... and perhaps the gaming community as well.
The "Joke" has been festering for a while... unfortunately it shows no sign of stopping cause it keeps working. While downplaying the problem definitely is not the right thing to do, people are correct when they say it really comes down to the wallet game. If the wallet game doesn't work then that probably means that the game and its devs enjoy the audience they've gained and you either accept the change or accept the fact that there's a good chance the past will never return. It's a sad time.
I was reminded of my thread while playing an earlier title, I went to the forums and searched "Coatings". I only found many locked threads, with the reminder that feedback is being congregated here. And that's perfectly fine.
Except the thread where we're supposed to leave feedback (namely this one) is never specified. The moderators behind the locked threads don't specify its topic name, nor a link, or any info on where to provide feedback, just that it's being done wrong. Furthermore, it's not specified in any of the rules, nor is it pinned for people to access. Has this rule been changed? If not, please provide this information in the forum rules or please pin this topic so it's accessible to the user. Moderators and Community Managers struggle enough as it is, it's none of your fault that the Coating system is in place and you guys have to deal with the damage control, but unofficial rules that aren't written down are shady business.
Unless I'm mistaken, I could have very easily missed it, please, either lift the restriction, or have the moderators specify the restriction in rules, by pinning the topic, and/. I understand that forum management with a community this large is difficult, but hiding a source of major critique is incredibly shady.

Regarding the reason I was brought here - I was playing Halo 3 and admiring how I've customized my armor, the MCC team has absolutely blown it out of the park with the options... But my color palette so specific, white, red, and subtle orange, they all tie together incredibly for a bright warm tone, but I know I'm not going to see it in Halo Infinite, and it just makes me feel sad, a game I'm able to look forward to taking away such a major piece of the franchise's identity. Halo 4 and Halo Reach put extra effort for the player to see their own design in Campaign, Firefight, and Spartan Ops, and even integrated its color system in its engine. All leading up to a "since everyone plays team games, it's not needed" ideology, taking away a unique element of personalization.

I'm open to the idea - but only if it expands on previous customization. If you allowed per-armor coating, that'd be incredible and better than any prior color system. That's not what's being offered though, and is a drastic regression from prior games.
yeah, looking back 3 months later, i still agree with what i said before.

i haven't thought of a better option since then, and i did think about it a couple times, but not constantly.
wonder if they've worked on improving the system since their announcement, i haven't noticed any sort of reaction to feedback.
Quote:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/29568daf8cd14083bd1b70a810bf3581/topics/we-want-more-info-on-armor-coating/2f93be94-b416-4ee3-88b7-e963a7618194/posts?page=40#post787

12/11/2020
IzzyTH I51

i had a comment earlier, a few pages back, but its been a few days now and I've been puzzling on the idea of monetization for a live experience vs a halo and warframe model.just to cover what i said before, warframe has a lot better economy for a live service, but aside from the economy, they also have multiple characters that people often customize through monetization, and as it has become my longest played game... i can say i don't really mind spending money on it either, its one of the only free games that i do.and then we take halo, halo has one character, the player, and once its customized thats normally it, as soon as it reaches a close enough approximation to what the player wants, they no longer feel the need to customize. just as an average, I'm sure there's plenty of people that like to change up their armor every so often.so, only in the vain of infinite being a live service that can support the continued employment of its studio, this makes the most sense to me in a halo model, where you have one character.take your seven layered asset (whether or not its easy, you guys have a year now.) and break it up into seven layers of paid for customization just like warframe. warframe, though it doesn't sell "coating effects" like scratches and mud, etc. they do sell straight up color palettes, you have a few under saturated default colors, and you even have to buy the full default color set.this idea seems like it makes the most money to me, given how players give up once they reach a customization approximation. sell the colors, sell color palettes, sell visor colors, sell scratchs, sell mud, sell those details separately.oooh, their coming out with plasma burned armor coating, I'm gonna buy that. oooh their coming out with camo pattern primary and secondary, gonna buy that, etc.it makes more money, and its not taking away player control, its taking our money, but its doing it in such a way that a lot more people would be onboard.now... separately from that... when i first saw that one coating, with the single red arm, i was excited that we would have "per piece coloring" not no coloring at all... monetizing color is something i can agree with, its better to sell hats than to sell guns... but there's to big of a difference between selling color and not letting players buy color.listen... this multi-layer thing, its great, really, i mean, its extremely terrible if you can't back peddle on this and give players access to each layer for money, cause we'd be more than happy to buy it... and with this being a "live game for the next 10 years" spiel, i not only want you to do that correctly, and actually give us customization properly, i also assume that you will eventually do just that, cause live games like warframe require you to have the ability to edit anything in the game you want at any time barring certifying with the publisher.just, take my money -blam- -blamite- separate the layers, let me customize them how i choose, and let me buy every piece of those layers, the color, the scratches, everything, it'll sell more, because it will be more. its, "i buy one armor coating i like and never buy anything again", or "i buy an entire coatings worth of stuff and maybe some more down the road."and c'mon, you guys have done more difficult stuff, split screen local co-op at 60 fps with ray-tracing and multiplayer networking while working from home? and you can't break up some paint and add a UI to sell -blam- to me?

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 39
  4. 40
  5. ...
  6. 41