3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 35
So, let me get this straight.

Emblems became unlockables in Halo 4. You had to earn them though gameplay.
First version of the emblems in Halo 5, they're unlockables, and before an update you chose color background and a selection of three different colors for the emblem itself, limited to what i343 implemented. Or am I not remembering this properly?

I even think I "jokingly" claimed that colors may become something we buy or unlock in future titles with how customization went for halo 5 back in the day.
I feel ashamed.

Now with Infinite, we get skins and normal color customization is gone?
The same thing as with Halo 5's first emblem versions? Which got so much backlash that they patched it to be like it was before?
What a shame. The game was shaping up to look fantastic. Finding out about coatings makes me feel less excitement for the game. Micro transactions have ruined the best of games, as the entire system is designed around the purchasing model.

I’m no longer looking forward to customization.
Naqser wrote:

First version of the emblems in Halo 5, they're unlockables, and before an update you chose color background and a selection of three different colors for the emblem itself, limited to what i343 implemented. Or am I not remembering this properly?

The same thing as with Halo 5's first emblem versions? Which got so much backlash that they patched it to be like it was before?
2 steps forward. 4 steps backward, down a hole, and into a fiery inferno.
Delta5931 wrote:
Naqser wrote:

That made me think about this. There are some similarities, no?
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
This is an example of a system that would have been an objective improvement over Reach-level customization:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jgptvd/with_infinites_coating_system_something_like_this/
I saw this, I love it too. I really would hope they'd leave behind the windows theme though lol
This is a better version:
https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jhbs4v/343_are_being_ridiculous_and_completely/
Naqser wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Naqser wrote:

That made me think about this. There are some similarities, no?
Wow is that accurate for Halo.

But honestly, this is par for the course for 343. Halo 4 was fairly controversial for the additions and changes made to multiplayer to make it more like Call of Duty. Halo MCC was busted for at least two years post launch. Halo 5 had a frankly misleading and disgustingly false advertising campaign and more multiplayer problems (like missing modes) than you can poke a stick at. Every single thing 343 has done since they took over the franchise has had some degree of controversy attached to it, even the good stuff like putting Halo on PC has had problems with the bugs that haven't been stomped yet.

343 screwing everything up and making mistakes that send the community into an uproar is just how they work as a company. Not sure why anyone would expect anything different from 343 for the fourth game in a row (five if counting Halo Wars 2 Blitz) they've managed to royally screw up.
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
This is an example of a system that would have been an objective improvement over Reach-level customization:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jgptvd/with_infinites_coating_system_something_like_this/
I saw this, I love it too. I really would hope they'd leave behind the windows theme though lol
https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/jhbs4v/343_are_being_ridiculous_and_completely/
If Infinite was made by 2007 Bungie, this is exactly how it would be.
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:

If Infinite was made by 2020 Bungie, we'd be in an even worse spot than we are now
Naqser wrote:
I even think I "jokingly" claimed that colors may become something we buy or unlock in future titles with how customization went for halo 5 back in the day.I feel ashamed.

"There are those who said this day would never come... what have they to say now?"
Coating as it is currently clarified is a terrible idea and strips away the most basic customization we've had for nearly two decades in favor of curated shaders that lack player personality

This is not okay and I really hope to see 343 reconsider this terrible, backwards choice.
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:
sniper945 wrote:
znazanz777 wrote:

If Infinite was made by 2020 Bungie, we'd be in an even worse spot than we are now
Agreed. Honestly I’ve probably got more faith in id producing a proper Halo game these days now that they’re under Microsoft. Look how Doom 2016 handled armor wear with sliders, it obviously works.
Zak Ras 32 wrote:
Naqser wrote:
I even think I "jokingly" claimed that colors may become something we buy or unlock in future titles with how customization went for halo 5 back in the day.I feel ashamed.

"There are those who said this day would never come... what have they to say now?"
You know, I actually found the post I recall.
Not exactly this, but I don't think I'm too much off target.

Link:
Quote:
Having emblems as unlockables was a low blow, and now just waiting for the inevitable colors being locked behind hours of grind just to pad the amount of cosmetics in the item pool. Better yet, separate armor and emblem colors.
[putting this here because my OP got locked, and was told to only go here...?]

"Armor and Customization"

It's a fairly beaten dead horse at this point that people were less than pleased with Halo 5's implementation of customization, so I won't wax on about that. After reading the recent community update, revealing the Gamestop exclusive "armor coating," I just wanted to give my two cents.The wording used, talking about how Infinite will have a huge "breadth, and scope" of options, makes me worried that it will end up with hundreds of options (going for quantity over quality, like Halo 5), and/or it will lead multiplayer to end up looking like a clown fest of crazy colors, designs, and immersion-breaking decals. Kind of like how Modern Warfare has monetized itself out the wazoo. (I'm looking at you, red spandex/crop-top operator and hot pink anime gun skins...) Anyway, I hope they go for what fits within the world of the game (and, re-staking a claim where Halo belongs in the greater gaming landscape), as opposed to feeling like you gotta copy every other micro-transaction-ridden 'fortnite' out there.Also, this was said in that post: "including items that will be earned in-game and some that will be earned as special rewards (i.e. the Halo 5 152 legacy reward we’ve mentioned in the past)." Which sounds fantastic, especially if they allow at least 2-3 top-tier items (I'm looking at you Halo 3 Recon, and Reach Haunted helmet) to be earn-able exclusively in-game (i.e., achievement-based, kinda like Halo 3's Scout).....but that they don't later obliterate, like Helioskrill.......rip.(Oh also, please make sure the Halo 5, 152 reward is actually pretty decent. I am definitely not even close to getting it, but it'd be nice to see that it's respected and not just a 'meh' emblem. Doesn't have to be insane or over the top, but something that stands out enough for anyone that sees it at launch, and years later, understands that it's unique (something that doesn't get buried under a sea of similar looking RNG unlocks.) In other words, not just a random visor color. More like a unique whole "coating," maybe with matching ones for warthog and pistol, that stand out (which I don't think is a lot to ask, since some people will get that just for drinking a few energy drinks.)Thanks!
Keep it civil, and respect everyone here. Forum rules are in full effect (as always). If you feel heated about this, come back to it to share your opinion when you're calm.The former thread for this was located at https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/29568daf8cd14083bd1b70a810bf3581/topics/armor-color-customization-in-big-jeopardy/26843d6e-d2c3-48fb-8c24-5cf8c28c5f77/posts and the comments are still there for perusal.
I think it is rather funny that this issue is being completely glossed over, yet the monitor has to make notes like this to keep the discussion civil. I feel like 343 should definitely have made a statement by now if they are not only currently receiving this backlash but also expected this backlash as was suggested by their waypoint post...
Hot take: Even if we can't mix and match, like even if we only can do one general coating for our ENTIRE character, that's still better than the current system.

I'm getting torn apart on Reddit, but seriously, I feel like people just aren't aware of how Halo even works to begin with. In both categories you can only pick ONE color. And that's the thing as well, I see all these mockups of color selectors, but you're still only allowing people to pick only ONE color. It's not like I can pick Blue, Red AND white all for my Primary color, if that was the case that'd be a different story, but it's not the case.

I made a collage of my Halo 3, 4, & 5 characters (https://imgur.com/a/W958GF7), can you honestly look at them and tell me that you're good with the current Primary/Secondary system? In every Halo I rock white for my Secondary but you wouldn't even know unless I told you because it's so unnoticeable. I mean look at my Halo 5 character, that doesn't even look like white, it looks black, but I have white selected. This system isn't good and everybody acts like it's the best thing since sliced bread. It doesn't offer ANY customization at all. People talk about customization, are you seeing something that I'm not? What customization? These games don't have customization.

Edit: I just wanna also point out that, even Destiny 2, (a game I heavily play) the game that everyone is comparing this new system to, has shaders that can be unlocked by playing the game. In my Shaders tab there's a "Activities" section where it shows me Shaders and what activities they come from: https://imgur.com/a/dXjym52. Yes, Destiny 2 also has Shaders that can be bought, but my point is even if you can buy Shaders there are still others that can only be earned from playing the game.
summon wrote:
Hot take: Even if we can't mix and match, like even if we only can do one general coating for our ENTIRE character, that's still better than the current system.

I'm getting torn apart on Reddit, but seriously, I feel like people just aren't aware of how Halo even works to begin with. In both categories you can only pick ONE color. And that's the thing as well, I see all these mockups of color selectors, but you're still only allowing people to pick only ONE color. It's not like I can pick Blue, Red AND white all for my Primary color, if that was the case that'd be a different story, but it's not the case.

I made a collage of my Halo 3, 4, & 5 characters (https://imgur.com/a/W958GF7), can you honestly look at them and tell me that you're good with the current Primary/Secondary system? In every Halo I rock white for my Secondary but you wouldn't even know unless I told you because it's so unnoticeable. I mean look at my Halo 5 character, that doesn't even look like white, it looks black, but I have white selected. This system isn't good and everybody acts like it's the best thing since sliced bread. It doesn't offer ANY customization at all. People talk about customization, are you seeing something that I'm not? What customization? These games don't have customization.
I definitely think Halo needs to move to a per piece color system, shaders or not. I think the best compromise could be letting us pick what shader goes on each piece of armor. The main issue though is the that some have different patterns and weathering so things may not match. If we could pick a coating and change the colors I think people would be ok. But we should really move to a per piece system.
summon wrote:

Freedom is better than external curation, no matter the dept of the options involved.

We don't care that a 343 artist has a lot of new options, that's not better than our classic 2.5 armor color options - because freedom supersedes external curation.
So just yesterday I heard that halo infinite will not be sporting secondary armor colors for the multiplayer, and other game modes that may appear. This might be a small complaint, but let's rewind back to pre release of guardians when 343 said split screen was not going to be included. It was small but took away a drastic element to the game. Armor colors "in my opinion" is a way to express yourself, as if your Spartan or odst was a art piece. It makes your Spartan have more attitude, more freedom, etc. When 343 does this they'll be taking away that freedom. I'm not opposed to them implementing it later like how they've been doing the progress on MCC, but make it a early update. I don't wish to wait 4 to 6 years for this because it's a small improvement. This choice effects halo on so many levels as it has been a feature since halo 2 and forward. Don't take my words lightly when I say that either because, I'm sure everyone else is as super upset as I am.
Freedom is better than external curation, no matter the dept of the options involved.

We don't care that a 343 artist has a lot of new options, that's not better than our classic 2.5 armor color options - because freedom supersedes external curation.
But what freedom? Seriously, do you guys see something that I don't? In both categories you can only pick ONE color. Right now if I go to my colors in my each category I can only pick either Red, Blue, White, etc, I can't combine them all. So again, what freedom?
I just want to know if we can make custom coatings or not alongside preset coatings. If this is the case, then I want to know if I can apply layers from multiple coatings into one custom coating.

Tbh I think a lot of people jumped the gun like crazy. We really need to just wait for more info.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 35