Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Weapons' sound design seems a bit homogenous

OP Halo 117 Chief

Does anyone else feel a bit underwhelmed with the weapons' sound design? It seems the audio file of each bullet firing is quickly being muted the instant it starts playing; there's no space or room for the gunshots to blare. And, they all sound like suppressed/muted guns. There should be more variety in the sound design: CE style blaring of the assault rifle, a more 'spread out' sound for shotguns, etc.

Compared to the sounds in MCC, everything sounds suppressed, and as a result everything sounds similar to each other and boring.
Yeah. The AR and pistol just sound like generic punchy gunshots without any character. The mangler is a handheld shotgun but it sounds like a laser (why???). The plasma pistol also sounds like a laser beam. I don't know what's going on over at the audio department.
Does anyone else feel a bit underwhelmed with the weapons' sound design? It seems the audio file of each bullet firing is quickly being muted the instant it starts playing; there's no space or room for the gunshots to blare. And, they all sound like suppressed/muted guns. There should be more variety in the sound design: CE style blaring of the assault rifle, a more 'spread out' sound for shotguns, etc.

Compared to the sounds in MCC, everything sounds suppressed, and as a result everything sounds similar to each other and boring.
That's how guns sound in real life. I'm assuming you've never shot one before. The sound of the previous bullet firing is drowned out by the next bullet firing. You won't get that lasting echoing reverb when you're constantly shooting. The last bullet is really the only one you hear fully. Headsets and in-game options always let you tweak the sound design and amplify or dampen bass and treble sounds. When chief throws the shield wall up the guns sound louder as the sound bounces back. The game is next gen and appears to have good sound design so it will react to objects and properly echo and reverb. We have yet to see a sniper rifle fired inside a small room. Until that time I wouldn't judge the sound's loudness, personally, this is the next level sound design that I've been waiting to see in video games.
Sir Rinder wrote:

That's how guns sound in real life. I'm assuming you've never shot one before. The sound of the previous bullet firing is drowned out by the next bullet firing. You won't get that lasting echoing reverb when you're constantly shooting. The last bullet is really the only one you hear fully. Headsets and in-game options always let you tweak the sound design and amplify or dampen bass and treble sounds. When chief throws the shield wall up the guns sound louder as the sound bounces back. The game is next gen and appears to have good sound design so it will react to objects and properly echo and reverb. We have yet to see a sniper rifle fired inside a small room. Until that time I wouldn't judge the sound's loudness, personally, this is the next level sound design that I've been waiting to see in video games.
You're right, I've never shot one before. I understand what you're saying. I'm speaking strictly in terms of gameplay UX design, of what makes it more satisfying to shoot while playing. I'm not a big fan of strict realism if it means less satisfying sound design (for me, anyway).
Sir Rinder wrote:

Agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again (especially since everyone complains about H4, 5 and HI not living up to their predecessors hype) the weapon sound design is awesome, much better than the weakspot in Halo 3. Fire that Halo 3 AR and it's like your playing with a toys r us toy. Stupidly dumb. Much better since 343 took over in that regard.
Sir Rinder wrote:

Agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again (especially since everyone complains about H4, 5 and HI not living up to their predecessors hype) the weapon sound design is awesome, much better than the weakspot in Halo 3. Fire that Halo 3 AR and it's like your playing with a toys r us toy. Stupidly dumb. Much better since 343 took over in that regard.
I'm mainly referring to the sounds of CE. Perhaps adding realism makes all weapons sound more similar to each other? CE's sounds much more distinct to me than what I've heard from Infinite so far.
Sir Rinder wrote:

I'm mainly referring to the sounds of CE. Perhaps adding realism makes all weapons sound more similar to each other? CE's sounds much more distinct to me than what I've heard from Infinite so far.
Sound recording. Ultimately this is what they should sound like but since chief was firing in an open environment the sound doesn't echo as loud and the sound is lost behind louder sounds. It does sound like they intentionally raised the dialogue volume for the grunts so you can hear their funny quips but I imagine if you tweak the audio settings right you can get the sounds out of this video to play just like this in game.
Sir Rinder wrote:
Sir Rinder wrote:

Sound recording. Ultimately this is what they should sound like but since chief was firing in an open environment the sound doesn't echo as loud and the sound is lost behind louder sounds. It does sound like they intentionally raised the dialogue volume for the grunts so you can hear their funny quips but I imagine if you tweak the audio settings right you can get the sounds out of this video to play just like this in game.
The guns in the sound recording video sound much more satisfying to me than in the gameplay demo. I think they should tweak some settings so they have more oomph in all kinds of environments for most/all players, even if that might be less realistic.
I was kinda disappointed by the guns in general honestly. A lot of the guns shown didn't look like they belonged in Halo to me personally. The Assault rifle looked fine but the others ones just kinda looked like generic modern firearms. I guess that's the direction 343 has been going with their gun designs though.

Yes thank you for pointing this out. Ive been complaining about this since Halo 4. Many don’t understand bc the thought process is “Guns sound more realistic and thats always good”. But like so many other things, style comes first and this is especially the case in halo. I dont want my futuristic assault rifles and dmr and shotguns to sound like my friends ar15 i want an iconic sound and Halo CE-Reach provided that and did it so well. It added so much character to the weapons. This goes for the designs of the guns now too, they are all generic and have no character. The only ones that are still good are the ones 343 literally cant change like the iconic Assault rifle. I really wish 343 would respect Bungies vision for the sound and style of the game.
I find this post very odd. After playing H4 and H5 with a really nice set of headphones, the sound design was a highlight for me. I think H5 has some of the best sound design of any game I've ever played tbh...

And have you been checking out any of the audio teams field recordings? I think Infinite's sound design is going to bring the thunder 😀