Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

What are we paying $60 for in the full game?

OP spirlol

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
If the multiplayer component of Infinite is F2P, then what would make the rest of the base game unique/good enough to justify a regular price tag for it? Would it be similar to how Microsoft sort of “justified“ ODST’s price tag by giving buyers access to parts of the multiplayer not accessible by those who buy Halo 3, or by some other means?
Nothing can really be said until they give us a full run down of what is included in the base game, and how much of it there is, in comparison to the multiplayer, and what is and isn’t included in the F2P.

Them we can start asking if it’s worth it.
If you don’t want to play $60 then Game Pass is always an option. Arguably the better choice, getting access to the game and hundreds of others for a fraction of the price
Or wait 5 years when its on sale for 15 bucks like what Ubisoft doing rn. ;P
What if Firefight comes with the £60 package? I’d have that.
What I wanna see and I think we all deserve is a FULL Game on release with the following features included Without any additional charges

Campaign - Must be decently length and not a rush job (No less than 4 hour for Normal completion times on the first play through). it must also keep to the point of a chief focus story while also not feeling that we need to read up on expanded lore (this is supposed to be a point where everyone can jump in old and new if the statements are correct)
Multiplayer - Online Ranked and Social playlists included with a vide array of maps (not just forged ones or rehashes of the same map but with different theme). Battle Royale/Warzone/Invasion/Firefight or what ever mode they decide to put in should also be included here.
Custom Games - This should also be ready from the get go with all game-types available and options to customise game-types for online parties and other gameplay which brings us to...
Forge - Pretty much this could just be a copy of the existing setup but with more objects in the library and we'd be fine. But again like custom and social games...MUST BE IN THE GAME ON LAUNCH; NOT 3 MONTHS LATER. That really was annoying about H5G.
Armour Customisation - Players will be able to customise their appearance such as colours, emblems etc from the start. All Armour Variants to be unlocked through Achievements or Progression milestones, not random chance lootboxes via microtransactions. I am aware that the "Coatings" will be handled by micro transactions and as long as this is just Weapon/ alt armour skins, then that is fine. as long as players can customise without a paywall blocking their creativity.

This is what I expect from a AAA game from a Franchise that has lasted for well over a Decade and also base this on previous titles in the series (Halos 3, Reach and 4) to decide on and support these points.
As for Special/ Limited Editions and Legendary Editions...I have my own scale on working that out based on the series' handling of such things as a whole. Bare in mind this is based on UK Prices at the time...

Halo 3 (2007) - Standard Game was £40 - Legendary at £100
Halo 3 ODST (2009) - Standard game £40 - Limited Edition (Controller) package £60 - Pre-ordering got you Sgt Johnson for Firefight
Reach (2010) - Base game at £40 - Limited at £60 (included Game with the solid case with Halsey's Diary) - Legendary at £100 (Included the Limited edition package and Noble Statue)
Halo 4 (2012) - Base Game £40 - Limited Edition £70 (Included Metal Game Case and Intel Package with early access battle pass)
Halo 5 Guardians (2015)- Base Game £50 - Limited Edition £80 (Included base Game with the Warzone Req Pass, Metal Intel Case and build-it-yourself 7cm Metal Guardian) - Legendary £200 (Included Limited Edition Package and John 117 and Spartan Locke Statue).

Personally I think the Bungie Era for handling of additional Memorabilia content was the better time with it's highest point obviously being Reach; as each edition gave you something physical from the world of halo. In 343's Cases there has been more focus on in game content which people either pay receive exclusively or access early which I feel is a misstep that they really should correct.
Again I hate to keep harping on about this but if 343 are such big reach fans WHY aren't they taking ques from this...
Reach was a complete game where everything available to everyone and was unlockable through progression. the extra editions were simply Merch for more dedicated fans and collectors.

Anyways Sorry for this long winded one...who agrees with what I said for the Base game at least and who agrees that any other editions should scrap the in game early/exclusive access crap.
DG TKO157 wrote:
What I wanna see and I think we all deserve is a FULL Game on release with the following features included Without any additional charges

Etc.
This is the base expectation yes. Imo this should be the base for all full price retail games these days (not this games as a service, half complete at launch nonsense).

I don't think that answers the question of value proposition for this game though, since presumably all of MP (both matchmade & customs) is free, which is what the vast majority of the time people spend playing Halo games is based on.

So the real question isn't neccesarily what the game should have at launch to justify the 60$, but what justifies a 60$ investment into a game who's majority of gameplay time is already free?

So far I agree that this hasn't been answered and for the casual, non-campaign obsessed player I don't think I could justify recommending someone to purchase this game, but this is largely because we don't know a damn thing about it (infact we've not even seen multiplayer atall yet anyway!).

On the other hand, I wholeheartedly recommend gamepass to anyone who can access it and given that will give access to Halo Infinite anyway this is a nice bonus. But personally even as a long term HALO fan and as a gamepass subscriber, so far I can't see myself putting a single £/$ towards this game specifically.
I think the $60 will be for campaign, forge and the PvE firefight mode (if one exists outside of BR). I think forge will be hidden behind this since so much goes into it and it will also help sway decisions in purchasing the game from those who want to build their own mp map from the F2P side of things.
I'm fully expecting the free component to just be customs and the obvious Battle Royale mode with the occasional free weekend. For the record I don't think a Halo Battle Royale would be *that* bad. Halo is already designed around map control and find weapons across the map. It's one of the few fps games out there that would suit a Battle Royale being added with it's longer ttk and movement based gameplay. I don't think hiding with a sniper would be that cancerous either with Halo style map design.
We have very little knowledge about this subject so far. All we really know of what to expect will appear in Halo Infinite are the following:

Campaign
Arena (Matchmaking/Custom Games)
Forge
Theater
"New multiplayer mode" (Heavily rumored and implied to be Halo's take on Battle Royale, but it will not be called Battle Royale in the game, much like how Deathmatches are called Slayer)

As far as what is included in the $60 package it will at least include Campaign, but it really depends on how much multiplayer content is included in the free to play version. For all we know the Free to Play version could just be the Battle Royale mode, or just the Arena but with missing elements like armor customization, or big team maps/gametype access, or even custom games.

We also don't know whether or not to expect other modes to make it in the game, such as Firefight, Spartan Ops, or Warzone. We will have to wait and see for more information. That said, even if only the Campaign is included in the $60 price tag I'm still going to buy it.
Fos Kuvol wrote:
We have very little knowledge about this subject so far. All we really know of what to expect will appear in Halo Infinite are the following:

Campaign
Forge
Theater
"New multiplayer mode" (Heavily rumored and implied to be Halo's take on Battle Royale, but it will not be called Battle Royale in the game, much like how Deathmatches are called Slayer)

As far as what is included in the $60 package it will at least include Campaign, but it really depends on how much multiplayer content is included in the free to play version. For all we know the Free to Play version could just be the Battle Royale mode, or just the Arena but with missing elements like armor customization, or big team maps/gametype access, or even custom games.

We also don't know whether or not to expect other modes to make it in the game, such as Firefight, Spartan Ops, or Warzone. We will have to wait and see for more information. That said, even if only the Campaign is included in the $60 price tag I'm still going to buy it.
according to a mega blocks leak the battle royale mode is called Last Spartan Standing. If this is true it also confirms no playable elites
Kabuskini wrote:
Fos Kuvol wrote:

Campaign
Forge
Theater

according to a mega blocks leak the battle royale mode is called Last Spartan Standing. If this is true it also confirms no playable elites
That would be so frustrating. You'd think after a thread about it that pre-dates the release of Halo 4 became the longest thread on the entire forum, that remains relatively active to this day 8-9 years later they would get the hint. Whenever you see generic "what do you want in infinite?" threads pop up every other post opens with "Playable Elites" and every non-pro circuit focused content creator on youtube acknowledges the community outcry for their return to the series. Like Elites were added to multiplayer in the same game that added secondary color and emblems. They pre-date armor permutation customization. And there's a fairly large chunk of players in the community who didn't migrate from Reach until they either tapered off the franchise or MCC became playable just because it was the last game to have them playable in some capacity.

Elites in multiplayer is one of the golden eggs that would bring it's own community of players into Infinite and keep them from migrating back to MCC, or dropping the franchise again once they feel they've had their fill. Like the group who's interests were peaked when the art style was revealed, or who still main Halo 3 on MCC because they want more classic movement mechanics, like the fairly large thread that's always on the Halo Infinite section's front page. I always hear people say something along the lines of "Well the forum is just a loud vocal minority of the community" and that's true, but the Forum can also be seen as a 'sample' of the community as well, as it's full of people with varying viewpoints. So it can be reasonably assumed that the most popular points of view in the Forum fall in line with the most popular points of view of the player base as a whole.
I haven't paid anything yet.
I could see infinite being 60$, there have been quite a few multiplayer only games from 2010-2020 that were full price. It could be the inverse with Infinite, though that's an outcome that I'm skeptical of myself.
Hopefully, a $60 Halo Infinite will at least include the Campaign, a Firefight mode (or some kind of hybridized Warzone Firefight mode), and Forge. I think Arena Multiplayer and whatever this rumored Battle Royale mode stuff everyone's talking about will be free-to-play. The 10-year plan stuff with possible campaign content added down the line after launch will probably be included with the $60 Campaign.
ViperfistX wrote:
Hopefully, a $60 Halo Infinite will at least include the Campaign, a Firefight mode (or some kind of hybridized Warzone Firefight mode), and Forge. I think Arena Multiplayer and whatever this rumored Battle Royale mode stuff everyone's talking about will be free-to-play. The 10-year plan stuff with possible campaign content added down the line after launch will probably be included with the $60 Campaign.
Exactly my thought process as well. Let the F2P aspect feed a constant flow of campaign additions that the people who purchased the full game will receive for free in the introductory price.
Kabuskini wrote:
Fos Kuvol wrote:

Campaign
Forge
Theater

The MCX Last Spartan Standing leak is just Infection, you can tell from the infected spartans armor and energy sword, both sharing similarities with halo 5's take on the infected player design. Plus, every time there's only one spartan left in an infection match, the announcer says "last spartan standing".
If 343 Industries are being honest (which, after Halo 5: Guardians, there's good reason for skepticism), Halo Infinite should be longer than previous campaigns while also featuring more to do. As long as the campaign is good, as long as it lasts, as long as it has a lot of replay value, and as long as it tells a satisfying story (which, again, skeptical), $80.00 (CAD) for just the campaign is better than a campaign + multiplayer package where the campaign is an afterthought. If it has those things, it'll be more worth the price to me than Halo 5: Guardians was.
spirlol wrote:
If the multiplayer component of Infinite is F2P, then what would make the rest of the base game unique/good enough to justify a regular price tag for it? Would it be similar to how Microsoft sort of “justified“ ODST’s price tag by giving buyers access to parts of the multiplayer not accessible by those who buy Halo 3, or by some other means?
Just a thought but the price hasn't actually been confirmed yet, as far as I can tell some sites are just putting up placeholder prices and placeholder release dates.
ronnie42 wrote:
spirlol wrote:
Just a thought but the price hasn't actually been confirmed yet, as far as I can tell some sites are just putting up placeholder prices and placeholder release dates.
Yup, good point. I'm in the UK and my local game shop does not even have it listed yet. Also, I just checked the Xbox store on my console and it has Halo Infinite but no price. It might be more or less than $60 / £55.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2