Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

What can Infinite take away from Doom Eternal?

OP BitBowmanator

Having played and beaten Doom Eternal over the weekend, it got me thinking of some features in the game that could fit the halo universe. A lot of this is wishful thinking, but I think Halo could benefit from these features.

-Real time armor degradation on enemy models. Doom has a gore system where the more you shoot an enemy the more meat flies off of them exposing their innards. Halo could implement this into enemy armor as I don't think actual gore would be appropriate in halo. Its already a thing on vehicles, why not use it more broadly on enemies.

-Meaningful weapon upgrades. Halo's sandbox usually has a delicate balance so this would be more aimed at campaign than the multiplayer. Doom offers a weapon upgrade system where once you purchase a mod you get a challenge to complete that unlocks the full potential of the weapon. The way I could see this working in the Halo universe canonically, is you are performing in the field weapon research. Take the sniper as an example. You are tasked with getting 20 headshots with the standard sniper. After hitting 20 the weapons research department on the infinite informs you that they have developed a better version. You can work your way up tiers of snipers until eventually you unlock nornfang to use in the campaign.

-Collectibles! Halo always has a bunch of cool collectibles to discover during the missions. Doom turns it up to 11 by including soundtracks to find over their entire game library, figurines of the demons you fight, cheat codes (skulls), to find and a ton of easter eggs throughout the whole campaign. I know Halo has a history of doing something similar, but Halo 5 was a let down in this regard. It would also be nice to have a space to view all of your unlocked collectibles like the Doom Slayer Base. I can see the infinite serving as a base of operations in this regard, I would like it to be more lively however as the Doom slayer base is kind of barren.

These are just a few of the things I thought would be nice touches to infinite obviously with a Halo universe twist. Lemme know what you guys think and if you haven't done so already play Doom Eternal!
What I get from it is that as far as Real time armor degradation, it would be good to maybe see these following cosmetics using an elite as an example.

Elite: 1st stage is shield cracking, 2nd stage is smoking shield generators and armor pieces, 3rd stage is breaking armor pieces, 4th stage is slight amounts of bleeding, and 5th stage is medium amounts of bleeding(not that much just some blood trails on arms and torso and maybe a tiny bit on the forehead) and then death.

As far as weapon upgrades go I am not a fan, keeping a chestful of upgraded weapons is a Doom thing, not a Halo thing. 343 has said that they will not buckle under peer pressure, this is one of those times.

And for Collectibles, I would like to see something akin to HW2. With something akin to Phoenix logs and vehicle, species, faction, character, timeline archives, keeps people happy for a while(and a tad bit obsessed).

However, I would love to see the Doom Eternal movement system minus the weird pole swinging thing(this isn't a circus) if they wanted to mix the two movement systems. With dashes from 343's games, and classic movement from the majority of Bungie's games.

And I would love, Love, LOVE to see an energy sword like the Doom Saber(not sure if this is the right name but you can't change my mind) so that instead of the 10 or so slashes that you get, I want you to get maybe 4 insta-kills, but you HAVE to be point blank range, no Halo 2 Jedi Jumps. As far as the animations, I wouldn't want much gore or any severing involved, just a quick slash that goes from different angles for different targets that simply makes a glowing blue gash in their armor.

Example: You attack an elite who angles his needler at you, but not fast enough to prevent you from doing an upper-cut slash to his mid-section, creating a visible glowing gash in his armor that smokes as he flies 5 feet backwards dead. This all happened in less than 2 seconds.

Similar systems would go in place for the Gravity Hammer.

This would basically replace assassinations, but each map would only spawn one energy sword in a known location on the map, this has many people fighting over it like the good old CE days.

Anyways what do you think of that proposal.
I think being able to shoot off armor would be fine, for brutes at least as one example as they have physical armor without shields & possibly relatively high healthpool, pretty much just add more shootable parts akin to Halo 2 brute helmets or Halo 3 grunt gas masks.

As for weapon upgrades, no thanks, really. Halo is more sandbox weapon oriented game where player picks up weapons to replace the empty ones & having every pickupable weapon be upgraded wouldn't really make sense whereas not having dropped weapons be the basic ones would decrease their value. Weapon upgrades fit DOOM better as in DOOM you can carry all weapons simultaneously with variation becoming from ammo distribution in level.
Basically, the very core of Halo & DOOM weapons gameplay is vastly different & I don't think weapon upgrades would add much if any value to more sandbox type weapons gameplay of Halo, even taking away from it through some aspects.

Various collectables are fine but lately games have gone a bit overboard with them, especially any sort of open world games have grinding amount of them, & Halo already has terminals, possibly skulls & I think thats enough for under 10 hours game (likely) though surely they could add some form of codex that fills up as you progress in the game, for example, you kill an enemy, it gets added in the codex, you visit a place, sit on a vehicle or encounter a friendly, they get added to codex, no need for that extra step of scouring the level for something that you can pick up.
At least it's not my idea of an FPS to circle around in maps looking for some certain place to push A button in rather than focusing on the ongoing events themselves.
If I would want to collect a bunch of meaningless garbage around the map that Im only going to check out once, I would pick Trashman simulator instead of an FPS.
And if there is codex, then please no any of that HCEA "Analyze" BS.
I'll echo what others have said here.

I definitely don't want weapon upgrades of any sort in any mode. I already think Halo needs to shrink its weapon sandbox, not add more.

I'm ok with armour damage and such, as long as it's cosmetic only. I'm also cool with stuff like dirt, water, and whatnot to be shown on the armor as well.

I'm all for collectibles, but too a degree. I actually don't like a lot of collectible stuff in first person shooters. I find it gets old and tedious. I'd rather have fewer collectibles but make them really hard to find, like the Halo 2 skulls, even Halo 3 and such. I just find things like that are so much more satisfying when you actually do find them.

I think the other thing Halo can take away from Doom is, you don't need a sprint animation or ADS style zooming for a FPS to be good or popular.
I don’t know if the enemy degradation thing you’re referring to is for campaign or multiplayer, but I’ll assume it’s for campaign, as I don’t see how the armor could realistically repair itself if you survive an encounter where you got pretty beat up. Anyway, enemy degradation already exists in halo, to some extent. Promethean knights and soldiers both have stages of degradation, with layers of their bodies getting chipped off as more damage is dealt to them. Hunters behave in a similar way: damage them enough and their back armor breaks off, exposing a weak spot. Generally, though, I think it would be cool for more visual cues to be added to weakened enemies.
I don’t know if the enemy degradation thing you’re referring to is for campaign or multiplayer, but I’ll assume it’s for campaign, as I don’t see how the armor could realistically repair itself if you survive an encounter where you got pretty beat up. Anyway, enemy degradation already exists in halo, to some extent. Promethean knights and soldiers both have stages of degradation, with layers of their bodies getting chipped off as more damage is dealt to them. Hunters behave in a similar way: damage them enough and their back armor breaks off, exposing a weak spot. Generally, though, I think it would be cool for more visual cues to be added to weakened enemies.
It would only be used for AI in my view. Maybe we could see a similar system with every decently powerful AI unit as the Hunter. Hit it enough with the required firepower and multiple pieces of armor become damaged, creating small weak-spots, rather that the Hunter's one major weak-spot.
DISCLAIMER: I don't talk about DOOM Eternal specifically. My points fit both DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal, but my focus is 2016, not only due to more experience and time played, but also because it did most things better than Eternal.

Hard to really say. DOOM and Halo follow different philosophies. As such:

Weapon Upgrades does not suit, because each weapon is tuned to a role, and upgrading them could influence that role, maybe even changing it completely (kinda like the REQ weapons in Halo 5). In DOOM, no weapon has a set role, so upgrading them has no impact on the weapon's functionality. You can kill a Baron of Hell with a Pistol, you can even kill a Possessed with a Rocket Launcher, but in the end, it's reaches the same result. What influences your choice is which kind of demon is your target, rather than the encounter as a whole. Is it a Mancubus? A Burst Rocket Launcher suits just fine. A Cacodemon? A Siege Gauss Rifle clears it no problem. A Baron of Hell? It'll be tough, but a Turret Chaingun will rip it to shreds. Part of this is also because you have all weapons readily available to you at all times, whereas in Halo, you have a limit of 2, forcing you to be strategic.

Now, the Damage system? Yup, it could work, but I can only see that working on Hunters since the other enemies are killed a bit too fast for such damage to be meaningful.

Map Exploration and Collectibles are a plus side that Halo could expand. Halo maps are straightforward and the rewards for the barebones exploration is a powerful gun that'll help you get through the following encounter. I say barebones because you usually don't have much to explore nor much to do to get there. Just walking up a hill and that's it. But including open maps and expanding on Exploration with rewards that give you items for your MP Spartan is not only an incentive for people to play the Campaign, but encourages replayability and is perfect to find marvels and easter eggs you'd, otherwise, miss.

I don't know what else can Halo take from DOOM, but I hope it turns out to be one of the best Halo games, on par to Halo 3's popularity and love.
And I would love, Love, LOVE to see an energy sword like the Doom Saber(not sure if this is the right name but you can't change my mind) so that instead of the 10 or so slashes that you get, I want you to get maybe 4 insta-kills, but you HAVE to be point blank range, no Halo 2 Jedi Jumps. As far as the animations, I wouldn't want much gore or any severing involved, just a quick slash that goes from different angles for different targets that simply makes a glowing blue gash in their armor.
The Crucible does have a lock-on, although it's a point-blank. But still... the Sword is still an insta-kill, and the lunge mechanic is not only a mechanic that defines a weapon, but is necessary to work as well as it does. If you had to be at the enemy's face with such low ammo, it'd be one of, if not, THE most useless weapon, and it'd be avidly avoided by everyone. It works in DOOM because it's a Power Weapon like the BFG and Unmaykr, and kills every target in one swing, no matter who (maybe except the Marauder... and the Cyber-Demon esque Demon). You're also one of the fastest entities in the game, beaten at least by Pinky.
Keeping in mind that H:I is supposed to be released in like, 6/7/8 months and it's production nearing the end,
it is unlikely that it could incorporate anything that late in its development cycle.
Being able to unlock alternet armors for chief would be cool. Just armors from his past though not every armor in MP. Mark 4, 5, 6, and gen 2. That way anyone who liked those armors on chief more can use them. You could either find the armors as collectables or unlock them through challenges.

Like others have said more collectable would be great but dont make them as obvious as they are in Eternal. Giant floating question marks dont real work in halo.

I also wouldnt mind weapon and suit upgrades. Though I'm not sure how they would do weapon upgrades as most weapons you will use are found around the maps or taken from dead enemies. Perhaps they could be more like the req weapon that you choose and they get drop by that pelican at different points during each mission.

Having an ingame codex is a must from me, I think most games that are set in a extensive universe should have a codex.
I've wanted that armour destruction for a while like the brutes have. Maybe with the new engine and console they could even have accurate destruction. For example if you hit an Elites shoulder, there will be damage in that exact area, or at least close.
I would love to see higher ranking enemies have wear and tear on their armor, or seeing blood again in Halo. Vehicles wear and tear, the Banished definitely have scratches and tears on their vehicles. Show that these enemies are Battle Hardened, it's even a trait in the Halo Wars series. Master Chief's armor is scarred and scratched. I don't think it needs to be super violent but it would be nice to just see some of the damage mentioned in the books.
I think being able to shoot off armor would be fine, for brutes at least as one example as they have physical armor without shields & possibly relatively high healthpool, pretty much just add more shootable parts akin to Halo 2 brute helmets or Halo 3 grunt gas masks.

As for weapon upgrades, no thanks, really. Halo is more sandbox weapon oriented game where player picks up weapons to replace the empty ones & having every pickupable weapon be upgraded wouldn't really make sense whereas not having dropped weapons be the basic ones would decrease their value. Weapon upgrades fit DOOM better as in DOOM you can carry all weapons simultaneously with variation becoming from ammo distribution in level.
Basically, the very core of Halo & DOOM weapons gameplay is vastly different & I don't think weapon upgrades would add much if any value to more sandbox type weapons gameplay of Halo, even taking away from it through some aspects.

Various collectables are fine but lately games have gone a bit overboard with them, especially any sort of open world games have grinding amount of them, & Halo already has terminals, possibly skulls & I think thats enough for under 10 hours game (likely) though surely they could add some form of codex that fills up as you progress in the game, for example, you kill an enemy, it gets added in the codex, you visit a place, sit on a vehicle or encounter a friendly, they get added to codex, no need for that extra step of scouring the level for something that you can pick up.
At least it's not my idea of an FPS to circle around in maps looking for some certain place to push A button in rather than focusing on the ongoing events themselves.
If I would want to collect a bunch of meaningless garbage around the map that Im only going to check out once, I would pick Trashman simulator instead of an FPS.
I envisioned the weapon upgrades as not something you would have access to all the time. Having requisitions dropped by a pelican is how I think it could work. I in no way want the the reqs to interrupt the regular flow of combat, just to add other fun options that would be akin to finding a rocket launcher or sniper rifle on the battle field. Only the reqs would have some other special effects. And once the ammo is gone you move on. Maybe if it is true that halo infinite is more open than past halos you have the occasional ability to dictate when those pelican drops happen. Like the barrage in reach, you couldn't spam it but it was available a couple times through the mission. I also think this addresses your pointless collectible concerns which I also find issue with. Collecting these weapons offers an actual fun gameplay reward. A lot of the reqs in Halo 5 also had backstories attached to them which creates another incentive to earn them. As others have pointed out in this thread a codex for Halo at this point is essential, but I do agree that having to analyze everything is tiresome.

I envisioned the weapon upgrades as not something you would have access to all the time. Having requisitions dropped by a pelican is how I think it could work. I in no way want the the reqs to interrupt the regular flow of combat, just to add other fun options that would be akin to finding a rocket launcher or sniper rifle on the battle field. Only the reqs would have some other special effects. And once the ammo is gone you move on. Maybe if it is true that halo infinite is more open than past halos you have the occasional ability to dictate when those pelican drops happen. Like the barrage in reach, you couldn't spam it but it was available a couple times through the mission. I also think this addresses your pointless collectible concerns which I also find issue with. Collecting these weapons offers an actual fun gameplay reward. A lot of the reqs in Halo 5 also had backstories attached to them which creates another incentive to earn them. As others have pointed out in this thread a codex for Halo at this point is essential, but I do agree that having to analyze everything is tiresome.
So something that resembles Battlefield bad company 2 weapon box drop system more than DOOM weapon mod system that was used as an example?
If you are not familiar with the system, you collected (Though with this as difference you seem to seek earning method) weapon parts that were added to a custom weapon pool which could be accessed from boxes dropped on the field to get access to custom weapons.
Though with other seeming variable being that you seem to suggest some static upgrade system where apparently stronger weapons are upgraded through a form of challenges.

But in any case they could be utilized in Halo weapon system I don't see custom weapons being either in noticeable role or make much sense in it's relation to story.
As in, I don't see a known weapon with slight variation being better variation to entirely new type of power weapon drop, like the target locator you mentioned. The so called power weapons already are in rather special roles & can be utilized in sections to create a specialized section, at least a temptation for it.
So in a game that creates variation through sandbox weapons, would micromanaging small portion of those weapons add much to it?
Obviously it's subjective but I simply don't see such feature being a strongsuit in a type of game Halo represents.
And for me, it wouldn't really make sense storywise given the setting, I just imagine a person would ask Chief through radio along the lines of "So yeah, our known galaxy has been put hold through giant EMP that pretty much put civilizations on standby mode & you have that mission to stop the whole chokehold but would you find time to test out this weapon by headshotting 20 Promethean knights with it so I can see bullets to head kill enemies, I'll be sending said custom weapons through Pelicans that I can spare during this galaxy wide crisis to send you a rifle with a new scope."
But whether the challenges would be fun is yet again, subjective. Usually I end up trying to fullfill them on the cost of battlefield tactic variation.
But such games like Halo 2 & even H5g had hidden special variation weapons in them, H5g had multiplayer weapons hidden around in campaign, which I found to be a brief "meh" type of thing, much like what I like to refer as brute carbine in Halo 2 which had more than max amount of ammo when picked up.
However, Im in favor of Halo 2 scarab gun like hidden weapons, might be a bit of a chore to get, brief in appearance but more fun than having slight variation to existing weapons in my mind.