Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

What do u think will happen in Infinite (story)

OP OptimumCactus73

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hearing from you guys
Pilot: We need to run!

Chief: No, we need to fight.

Fighting and one liners, that's what's gonna happen and that's all that needs to happen.
I think that in terms of what will make the highest number of fans happy from both major sections of the fanbase is to narratively lean on the Chief/Cortana relationship, but with the twist of it being an intense adversarial relationship in this game. The history of their partnership for players of classic Halo will add weight to that dynamic, and it may even go a long ways towards correcting people's opinions on the Halo 4 campaign if Infinite contextualizes it in the right way (I think this is to make John ultimately choose duty over "humanity" and take Cortana down, because it has to be done for the sake of literal humanity.)

Cortana will try to appeal to John's sympathetic nature that we've been seeing in Halo 4-5- and the way they're seemingly going with the overall aesthetic and tone of Infinite tells me that, although it will be incredibly difficult for him, he will ultimately fulfill his duty as humanity's protector (and for those fans of Halo 4-5's narratives, his right to the Mantle of Responsibility as a Reclaimer) by going against Cortana and ultimately destroying her (or at least defeating her). This is spicy drama for the narrative because it will, to Cortana, be a deeply insulting and hurtful betrayal in Chief's part. To Chief, though, it will simply be a reinforcement to his ultimate loyalty to humanity above all else.

That may be way off base. But I think it'd be a very interesting and fulfilling way to go with the story.
I think that in terms of what will make the highest number of fans happy from both major sections of the fanbase is to narratively lean on the Chief/Cortana relationship, but with the twist of it being an intense adversarial relationship in this game. The history of their partnership for players of classic Halo will add weight to that dynamic, and it may even go a long ways towards correcting people's opinions on the Halo 4 campaign if Infinite contextualizes it in the right way (I think this is to make John ultimately choose duty over "humanity" and take Cortana down, because it has to be done for the sake of literal humanity.)Cortana will try to appeal to John's sympathetic nature that we've been seeing in Halo 4-5- and the way they're seemingly going with the overall aesthetic and tone of Infinite tells me that, although it will be incredibly difficult for him, he will ultimately fulfill his duty as humanity's protector (and for those fans of Halo 4-5's narratives, his right to the Mantle of Responsibility as a Reclaimer) by going against Cortana and ultimately destroying her (or at least defeating her). This is spicy drama for the narrative because it will, to Cortana, be a deeply insulting and hurtful betrayal in Chief's part. To Chief, though, it will simply be a reinforcement to his ultimate loyalty to humanity above all else.

That may be way off base. But I think it'd be a very interesting and fulfilling way to go with the story.
Sounds like an interesting story to me. Seeing as how the game will take place on the Halo ring, you might get some nostalgia of Halo CE, perhaps Chief would be remembering the events of CE and later try to use the past to get Cortana to stop her madness. But I suspect that Chief will very likely have to destroy her in the end if it is impossible to repair Cortana. I also think that she would try to stop Chief from getting in her way without trying to actively kill him because she, despite her corruption, still loves him too much to see him get hurt.

But in the end, I think Chief will likely force her hand or maybe she will force his hand instead, and one or the other is going to die, but I think we all know how that possible scenario will play out.
I'm quite confused with the new cortana in Halo Infinite but I'm sure it'll act as the old cortana before her death in Halo 4. Evil Crotana is going to be the main villain. I think A LOT is going to happen since its 3 years after the events of Halo 5.

Zeta Halo could be even more powerful than all the other halo rings since they lost the war already and lost a lot of people.
From a marketing perspective, the biggest and most powerful promise this game's campaign can make is almost certainly: "One lives, One Dies," on the Master Chief and Cortana front. I don't know that 343i has the guts/temerity to outright kill Cortana (and after Halo 5's reception I'm fairly confident that they wouldn't dare try to off Chief in Infinite). After all, let's not forget that the most consequential thing that occurred in the story of Halo 4 was Cortana's "death," which for all my problems with that game, would've been a resounding and impactiful event for the series if it hadn't been reversed in the first mission of Halo 5.

If they brought her back ultimately for Chief, who would've gone to the ends of the universe to save her in the first place, to have to destroy her permanently? That's good dramatic tragedy writ large.

I hope they don't edge up on the romance angle like they did in Halo 4- that's never how I've seen Chief and Cortana's relationship, and I know I'm not the only player who feels this way. In the original Halo trilogy, they had a good working dynamic that felt a lot more like police partners than it did lovers, and Halo 4 seemed to tackle their relationship in a much more overtly suggestive romantic fashion.

If anything, I can buy that Cortana became confused as a byproduct of her rampancy and "fell in love," with Chief to a much higher degree than the level of platonic respect and affection she showed him in Halo 3 by the time Halo 4 happened. I just think the Chief/Cortana shipping is way too prominent in the 343i games. It used to make more sense to me when I was brand new to the series that the two might be involved, but as soon as I realized that Cortana's basically a clone of Dr. Halsey, who is for all intents and purposes John's mother in the Halo universe? No thanks!
John and Cortana’s end could be something like X Men’s Last stand climax of Wolverine and Dark Phoenix (Sorry for quoting a terrible movie here), however that is how I think this will wrap up. Of course John will try his best to reason out or fix her. But we all know it is not going to end in a fairy tale way!
John and Cortana’s end could be something like X Men’s Last stand climax of Wolverine and Dark Phoenix (Sorry for quoting a terrible movie here), however that is how I think this will wrap up. Of course John will try his best to reason out or fix her. But we all know it is not going to end in a fairy tale way!
I kinda thought about the X-men Last Stand but got to ashamed to talk about it. But I agree with the others here. I don't think this story has investment or events enough to extend it to another game. Guess we'll have to decide who's triumphant: Chief or Cortana and it is impossible for her to get a redemption arc. Made too many bad things for now.
Corrals gets jealous as chief and arby get hitched.
Also Brohammer is best man.
Johnson: "I thought I told you never to let her go!!"
John: "I though you" .......
Johnson: "You know what they say soldier , spartans never die !"
From a marketing perspective, the biggest and most powerful promise this game's campaign can make is almost certainly: "One lives, One Dies," on the Master Chief and Cortana front. I don't know that 343i has the guts/temerity to outright kill Cortana (and after Halo 5's reception I'm fairly confident that they wouldn't dare try to off Chief in Infinite). After all, let's not forget that the most consequential thing that occurred in the story of Halo 4 was Cortana's "death," which for all my problems with that game, would've been a resounding and impactiful event for the series if it hadn't been reversed in the first mission of Halo 5.

If they brought her back ultimately for Chief, who would've gone to the ends of the universe to save her in the first place, to have to destroy her permanently? That's good dramatic tragedy writ large.

I hope they don't edge up on the romance angle like they did in Halo 4- that's never how I've seen Chief and Cortana's relationship, and I know I'm not the only player who feels this way. In the original Halo trilogy, they had a good working dynamic that felt a lot more like police partners than it did lovers, and Halo 4 seemed to tackle their relationship in a much more overtly suggestive romantic fashion.

If anything, I can buy that Cortana became confused as a byproduct of her rampancy and "fell in love," with Chief to a much higher degree than the level of platonic respect and affection she showed him in Halo 3 by the time Halo 4 happened. I just think the Chief/Cortana shipping is way too prominent in the 343i games. It used to make more sense to me when I was brand new to the series that the two might be involved, but as soon as I realized that Cortana's basically a clone of Dr. Halsey, who is for all intents and purposes John's mother in the Halo universe? No thanks!
At this point, just offing Cortana would be a bit boring IMO. She already "died" once, so even having it stick this time wouldn't have the same impact as just having her stay dead for all post-H4 games. I think it would cooler for the Chief to get a "new" Cortana (saved version of herself, just prior to going Galaxy Mom) and then deal with Rampant/Gravemind controlled Cortana. After all, 343 want to go back to Halo's roots and there is nothing more quintessentially Halo than the Chief and Cortana exploring a Halo ring and musing about caves, lakes, or the weather.

As for the core storyline motif, I could see Halo Infinite resolving the whole Created thing relatively quickly and re-introducing the Flood for one final big bad confrontation in Halo: Beyond or whatever Infinite's sequel is going to be called. Halo Wars 2 had some awesome Flood designs and I would love to see those up close and personal [with a loaded shotgun and plenty of frags).
i think the Banished are going to appear in the main Halo lore.

In Halo Wars 2 cinematics you can hear Atriox saying "Can you honnor your contract?" to an Elite
I think Atriox (or i hope at least) will join the main lore.
*Spoiler alert*

Pew pew. Good story.
I kinda thought about the X-men Last Stand but got to ashamed to talk about it. But I agree with the others here. I don't think this story has investment or events enough to extend it to another game. Guess we'll have to decide who's triumphant: Chief or Cortana and it is impossible for her to get a redemption arc. Made too many bad things for now.
That is by far my biggest concern for the story. That it'll all be about "rescuing" Cortana and making her "good" again. She's done waaaay too many super evil things at this point to deserve a shot at being forgiven, forgotten and just riding around in John's head again like the good old days. (Besides of course the fact that it would be annoying to spend yet another game saving her.)

I want to see the original Cortana destroyed completely and if 343 wants to redeem her character's name among the fanbase, then do it in the form of giving John a Cortana 2.0 model to be his new companion.
I thought it was all figured out after the E3 trailer?

Master Chief will be in it, they are going home, and they need to fight.
Halsey will give chief a new cortana or at least a copy of initial cortana.......it would be like this-remember in halo 4 when Halsey was being interrogated .....there was scene in which chief was sitting on something (like a army box) and then Halsey approached and gave him the cortana ......like this she will handover him new cortana ....its obvious chief would be in grief and Halsey is like a mother to her and a mother can do at least that much for her son
That is by far my biggest concern for the story. That it'll all be about "rescuing" Cortana and making her "good" again. She's done waaaay too many super evil things at this point to deserve a shot at being forgiven, forgotten and just riding around in John's head again like the good old days. (Besides of course the fact that it would be annoying to spend yet another game saving her.)

I want to see the original Cortana destroyed completely and if 343 wants to redeem her character's name among the fanbase, then do it in the form of giving John a Cortana 2.0 model to be his new companion.
The problem I see with this story is 343 killed Cortana in Halo 4, brought her back again, and it is likely she will get killed off again! It is a bit weird at first but it is better than her to get a redemption get "cured" and stick in Chief's head again like no problem. If that's is the case then why need to build a three game saga for things don't change at all? I'm very opposite to the "Cortana 2.0" thing, because it is probably a non-consequential saga.
343 will have to make a very good story in order to make things work in this story, because all the scenarios look not very promising in my eyes.
Halsey will give chief a new cortana or at least a copy of initial cortana.......it would be like this-remember in halo 4 when Halsey was being interrogated .....there was scene in which chief was sitting on something (like a army box) and then Halsey approached and gave him the cortana ......like this she will handover him new cortana ....its obvious chief would be in grief and Halsey is like a mother to her and a mother can do at least that much for her son
I thought about that, and while Halsey can do another Cortana, if she does this whole story loses all the reason to exist. If Chief can easily replace Cortana to a new model, Chief can kill the evil Cortana without any hesitation, emotion in a completely indifferent way. The story will fall apart and the consequences of the saga will be non-existent.
Halsey makes another Cortana to Chief, nothing changed, they did not grew up as characters the sotry becomes empty and irrelevant.
Sadly my expectations aren't very good. I think this will be structured just like CE for nostalgia, and that the few moments that won't feel like a CE rehash will be those that focus on the trainwreck that is the Cortana-Created debacle. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what the trailers are implying
This would make me lose a lot of respect for Halo’s story.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2