Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

What do you guys think of the view on anti cheat

OP surfer45

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
"We felt like we had to make an anti-cheat solution that doesn’t get in the way, doesn’t root your machine, doesn’t block your legitimate applications – we want the most unobtrusive thing possible that ensures a safe way for everyone to play together."

"Our anti-cheat philosophy is to make cheating more difficult in ways that don't involve kernel drivers or background services. We've done a lot of work securing the Slipspace engine and developing novel ways to protect and change the game to slow down cheat development."

I'm no expert on anti cheat, and I've never used hacks before. But this seems like its going to backfire so hard. I understand their sentiment in not using intrusive anti cheat. I know its impossible to say there won't be hackers, to "slow-down" cheat development seems to give a slap of reality when they say they aren't using anti cheat. I dont want no slap of reality til I play.

I dont know what else they are planning, but CSGO had a pretty good way of handling it, where you had to play a certain number of games or get to certain level to play with prime players, and prime player couldnt que up with non prime (unless someone in your lobby doesn't have it). I played one non prime game instant blatant hackers (mostly just in competitive tho)

There was another game as well, maybe CSGO again, where they had a reputation system, since reporting can take a long time, someone with lots of reports would play with other reported people.
Its abusable unfortunately it could go the other way too with good reports.

I believe in the skills of the security team, but it will never be perfect, so having alternatives is nice too, whether its a reputation system, or play with other people past a certain level, so when people do inevitably hack and sneak by can hack in their own infernal playground
surfer45 wrote:
"We felt like we had to make an anti-cheat solution that doesn’t get in the way, doesn’t root your machine, doesn’t block your legitimate applications – we want the most unobtrusive thing possible that ensures a safe way for everyone to play together."

"Our anti-cheat philosophy is to make cheating more difficult in ways that don't involve kernel drivers or background services. We've done a lot of work securing the Slipspace engine and developing novel ways to protect and change the game to slow down cheat development."

I'm no expert on anti cheat, and I've never used hacks before. But this seems like its going to backfire so hard. I understand their sentiment in not using intrusive anti cheat. I know its impossible to say there won't be hackers, to "slow-down" cheat development seems to give a slap of reality when they say they aren't using anti cheat. I dont want no slap of reality til I play.

I dont know what else they are planning, but CSGO had a pretty good way of handling it, where you had to play a certain number of games or get to certain level to play with prime players, and prime player couldnt que up with non prime (unless someone in your lobby doesn't have it). I played one non prime game instant blatant hackers (mostly just in competitive tho)

There was another game as well, maybe CSGO again, where they had a reputation system, since reporting can take a long time, someone with lots of reports would play with other reported people.
Its abusable unfortunately it could go the other way too with good reports.

I believe in the skills of the security team, but it will never be perfect, so having alternatives is nice too, whether its a reputation system, or play with other people past a certain level, so when people do inevitably hack and sneak by can hack in their own infernal playground
totally agreed.
I haven't come across many hackers in MCC so far, and i hope less people will want to hack halo, and play fair
It isn’t using a third party anti cheat its gonna use anti cheat made in slip space engine. What i know for certain that its not gonna be like games like valorant where the anti cheat uses much resources and runs even when game isnt running. Other than that well have to see what will happen. I know it will never happen but it would be cool if 343 some how uses this anti cheat for mcc for sometime so we will have understanding how it will work
I don't want cheating any more than anyone else, but I hope they don't just blanket ban virtual machines like some other systems do. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to run windows in a VM that don't include cheating. This quote gives me a little hope for this: "When people do cheat, we're focused on catching them through their behavior and not from data that we've harvested from their machines"
I'm still worried so far. There weren't any real details other than that it sounds like they're going to use predictive algorithms against player performance to detect cheats.

If this is the primary solution, and they're intending on staying as "out of the way as possible" for ther rest of the anti- cheat approach, then I guess I'll probably end up turning off cross play and hoping hackers on XB aren't common.
ill believe it when i play for myself, nothing attracts cheaters more than f2p games. They should elaborate on the " catching them through their behavior and not from data" part, so what happens to really good mnk players that will carry entire teams? and does that mean spoofing hardware is overlooked? anyhow, this is crucial to infinites success on pc, if its anything like steams anticheat it wont stop a determined hacker.
I don't think they're going to go into much detail on how their system works, as that would somewhat defeat the purpose of anti-cheat. I'm fine with leaving it a mystery.
I do agree with you about the Anti-Cheat, but the fact is that not a lot of people hack on Halo. In my 7-8 years of playing Halo multiplayer, I have never seen a hacker yet. It's just due to the fact that Halo is not as competitive as others games (ex: CSGO, CoD, and others), but I am hoping this anti cheat won't kill my PC in the background, but we'll have to see.
What's wrong with the current Anti-Cheat?
As long as it keeps me save from cheater i am all for it...
I don't think they're going to go into much detail on how their system works, as that would somewhat defeat the purpose of anti-cheat. I'm fine with leaving it a mystery.
That's what everyone kept saying about BF5, and it ended up just having bad anti-cheat 😕
I honestly don't know enough about game security to have a strong opinion on it, however I'm glad that its sticking to being just in game and not slowing down my PC on launch.
Since it is assessing gameplay and not files, I anticipate its going to have a few false positives. For example, you could get stuck in the air for an unusual amount of time and get kicked for flying, or land some freakishly good headshots with the sniper which the game might think some form of dubious aim assist. Regardless, I think it will reach a point a few months after launch where it 'peaks' before a few cheaters find a way past it.

I'm curious if there is some sort of machine learning running in the background for the new anti-cheat, which is fed examples of what a hacked client runs like and detects when that occurs. Some sort of tech which automatically and consistently detects cheats which can expect the next moves hackers will make could be revolutionary in the games industry. I think that maybe it's an idea which is a little too big for what we are discussing, but not unrealistic. Somebody is gotta be playing with AI in that way somewhere.
really i think our strongest tool is going to the community. they need to have an easy way to report players, a way to review the matches.
What's wrong with the current Anti-Cheat?
Its that even with anti cheat, people find a way, so having alternate ways like I said. So for sure their methods will work, but this is some peoples living to make hacks for games.
I don't know, as long as it's efficient I guess it's not that bad but it's hard to guess without seeing how it goes when the game will be released (I'm not talking directly at launch but some time later).
I don't know much about anti-cheat and security.
Over the course of crossplay, I have seen a total of 4 hackers. They all use speed hacks, and insta kill BRs. It's not perfect, and it needs constant updating or it's gonna end up like R6S.

Let alone the tedious amount of effort just to report them to 343, and they don't even take action. (I still have those tickets submitted and nothing done).
I've never used a cheat in any game. I know PC is a lot more likely to be targeted for cheating than on Xbox. Do I have a problem with PC being targeted for aggressive anti-cheat measures? Nope, not one bit.

I play other games where pc and console play together and the cheats and bots always happen through PC. The Xbox is more secure than PC when it comes to cheating, so I think PC should have more aggressive measures against the platform. If people have a problem with it, lock out multi-player all together.
I hope the system works, cheaters and hackers are a bane to the Halo experience. I wish I knew enough about security and anyi-cehating softwares to have an actual informed opinion. I respect 343s approach of making sure they don't invent a system that lowers the experience for everyone just to root out cheaters, but I am afraid that the cheaters will take advantage of such a system and with the new crossplay era hold the potential to completely ruin the MP for infinite before its had a real chance.
suetan124 wrote:
I've never used a cheat in any game. I know PC is a lot more likely to be targeted for cheating than on Xbox. Do I have a problem with PC being targeted for aggressive anti-cheat measures? Nope, not one bit.

I play other games where pc and console play together and the cheats and bots always happen through PC. The Xbox is more secure than PC when it comes to cheating, so I think PC should have more aggressive measures against the platform. If people have a problem with it, lock out multi-player all together.
I always thought once consoles have full keyboard and mouse support I doubt esports will ever be held on PC again for at least crossplay games.
Well, I guess we wont be getting a dk mode cheat.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2