Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

What do you think caused the Halo ring explosion?

OP mlove114

I saw a theory that the UNSC Infinity exploded and caused the damage seen on the Halo ring during the E3 2019 trailer, but I don't think that's the case. In Combat Evolved, the Pillar of Autumn's reactors going critical caused an explosion that completely destroyed the ring; yet in Infinite, only a small section of the Halo is missing. What do you think caused it? I'm honestly not sure.
If the UNSC Infinity did that the ring would be gone, Infinity is way larger and had much more powerful engines than the Autumn. A UNSC ship hasn't been destroyed yet in the FOrerunner series so who knows maybe the Infinite will be destroyed.
I think the Guardians most likely. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else could be powerful enough to do that. The only other thing I can imagine is a ship's engine blowing up on the ring (like the Pillar of Autumn in CE).
I also think maybe a Monitor or Cortana launched a section of the ring into Space. They've done it before.
I also think maybe a Monitor or Cortana launched a section of the ring into Space. They've done it before.
This would be my guess and the blue dust or what have ya, is the ring already self repairing itself.
Cortana did it
Chief was doing a thing on the Ring that cortana didnt like so she through that section of the ring into space.
Cortana: I'll detonate ‘insert ships name here’ reactor just like we did the Autumn's. The blast will destroy the ring. Not a very original plan, but we know it'll work.
I hope it has to do with the rings monitor jettisoning a section of the ring into space, mostly because I want monitors to have a big role again.
I kind of think it has something to do with the Infinity since it seems like it's the UNSC's last warship that is in action. The Pilot in the trailer said "We lost" or something meaning there had to be a battle of some kind between the UNSC and Cortana's forces. It could have been a detonated explosion similar to the Autumn but a Guardian caught the explosion or it tried to do a last ditch effort slam into the ring. There's a bunch of theories that could be said what could have happened. I don't think it was the ring's section being launched since the hologram at the end of the trailer has it seemed like it wasn't an organized section launch but more of an aggressive break apart, but that's just me.
Interestingly, if you look at the trailer when the hologram of the ring explosion happens, you can see it looks an outward exploration rather than inward. Curious to learn what this means.
Interestingly, if you look at the trailer when the hologram of the ring explosion happens, you can see it looks an outward exploration rather than inward. Curious to learn what this means.
I was going to point out the same thing. It appears as though something rammed the installation rather than a section of it getting jettisoned. The thing is, the Infinity isn't large enough to ram a Halo and cause that kind of damage. So maybe it's a combination of both. Like the Infinity crashed into Installation 07. Then because the Infinity is so massive, it forced the ring to jettison a portion as it made impact. Other than that, I'm really not sure what caused the damage.
The explosion would have had to be small, remote, and have blown outward so there would be no damage to the rest of the ring. Maybe there was an attempt to do what was done in CE that failed, possibly because of the threat of its activation. Cortana has said that AI think much longer term, in the span of tens of thousands of years, so if they want to make her character even more of a psychopath she or The Created's plan could be to wipe out life and start anew to raise "better" generations of life.

What's odd is that such a large event will have happened before the campaign even starts in the gap period, so maybe it was more of an aesthetic choice than a story-critical event, just to mix up a piece of iconography we have seen many times before.
What's odd is that such a large event will have happened before the campaign even starts in the gap period, so maybe it was more of an aesthetic choice than a story-critical event, just to mix up a piece of iconography we have seen many times before.
I'm guess that if this really is the beginning then they'll probably have some flashback missions. Maybe as soon as the pilot wipes the screen and shows Master Chief and the screen fades it'll say "sometime earlier" or something and we'll have missions that lead to the destruction of the ring segment (presumably launching Chief into space) and then the game will continue with the rest of the cutscene. Or, this gap will be filled in with terminals because the events leading up to this point in the story will be for old Halo fans while the game itself will be the "soft reboot" for newcomers 343's been marketing the game as. Or, maybe none of these and it is an aesthetic choice as you said and maybe a book will explain what happened to it at some point.
I've got some ideas, though with no real evidence to back it up. My favorite idea is that because the Forerunner AI Mendicant Bias was housed in a series of massive data crystals on Installation 07, those crystals were repurposed. The UNSC has a presence here, so maybe the idea was to lure Cortana there and trap her in the data crystals. Something goes wrong and the ring is damaged as a result. Again, no evidence to support it, but that's where I'd take it.
The Gravemind.
This was my thought. The cover art definitely suggests a large aspect of Infinite's story (and potentially gameplay) will be about segmenting and dislodging parts of the ring as was done in Halo Wars 2.