Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

What if Infinite is not a massive success?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Let me start off by saying that I do believe that Infinite will be a success, so do not worry. This is just on the crazy unlikely off chance that it may not be a massive success. Let's say that if Infinite isn't a huge seller (and it's budget is $500 mil like rumored), and doesn't have have a big online presence, what do you think will happen? These are a few ideas I think could be possible, and would be interested in seeing what you have to say. 1st possibility I see happening is that either 343 is completely reorganized, basically a totally reshuffling of the entire studio. Another possibility with this is having 1 of the other Xbox studios assume development of Halo. Another option I could also see them doing is deciding to sell the IP to another company. Finally, the last option I could see possibly happening is that they decide to cancel the games altogether, and continuing the story in the books. In the end, I don't think we'll have any of these options as I suspect it'll be a big success.
I don’t doubt that the game is gonna be successful either, but in the event it’s not, 343’s current upper management is gone. Even though that $500 million budget is just a rumor, the game is still likely very expensive and not making a return would be a huge blow to the Xbox brand. Phil Spencer says he has faith in 343, but after all the number distortion Microsoft had to do to claim Halo 5 was the ‘biggest launch ever’, there’s probably still doubt. A full studio rework would be in order if the game fails to succeed, but Microsoft would never sell the IP off. Again, like you said, this is all just hypothetical.
I largely expect this was a major driving force behind the “10 year plan” decision. Love it or hate it, many AAA releases aren’t released as the ‘complete experience’ anymore. Obviously both 343 and Microsoft would love for the game to be a success right out of the gate, but by committing to a 10 year long plan they’re able to give themselves some breathing room if it isn’t met with high praise initially. Just look at Star Wars Battlefront 2, Elder Scrolls Online, No Man’s Sky, or even the MCC. Games these days have a bit more leniency in the court of public opinion to get it right in the long run. I’m not saying whether that’s a good or bad thing, just how it goes now. So even if it flops on release, plenty of other games have proven that it’s possible to make a comeback.
I think the most likely option out of all of those is a restructuring of 343i. The only studio within Microsoft that I think would do a better job is maybe id Software, but MS didn't buy Zenimax to have them take over other franchises. The other options I don't think would ever happen.
With how low Halo Infinite's reputation is right now I can imagine the game going dead quite early. 343 would really need to turn things around to ensure Infinite's success.

If this game isn't successful then Halo is most likely gonna stay a dead franchise that MS is gonna try to milk every last penny out of.
I largely expect this was a major driving force behind the “10 year plan” decision. Love it or hate it, many AAA releases aren’t released as the ‘complete experience’ anymore. Obviously both 343 and Microsoft would love for the game to be a success right out of the gate, but by committing to a 10 year long plan they’re able to give themselves some breathing room if it isn’t met with high praise initially. Just look at Star Wars Battlefront 2, Elder Scrolls Online, No Man’s Sky, or even the MCC. Games these days have a bit more leniency in the court of public opinion to get it right in the long run. I’m not saying whether that’s a good or bad thing, just how it goes now. So even if it flops on release, plenty of other games have proven that it’s possible to make a comeback.
I wish this weren't true, but you're right. I hope Infinite doesn't start off as bad as BF2 did because it will drive away almost the entire population immediately considering how gross the H5 REQ system was and is.
Highly doubt Halo Infinite will burn. But if by some crazy twist-of-fate it happened, alot will change in 343 Industries (both inside and outside) and Microsoft will definitely intervene even more in their endeavors, like when Don Mattrick was running Xbox and Microsoft's subsidiaries to the ground.
I'm a little worried that it might be. Considering the asinine choices they are making with the coating system. I'm really afraid that it'll be another broken mess like halo 5 was at launch.
Dude, if things keep going like they are right now, the chances Halo Infinite fails are sky-high. Didn't you guys see how much negative press is surrounding Halo Infinite already? Every big Halo influencer is leaving Halo. The gameplay looks already old and outdated. The technical side is garbage. People are getting fired and are abandoning ship left and right. If for a miracle, Halo Infinite doesn't fail at launch, the bad gameplay will kill it soon after. The only hope Halo Infinite has got, is that the cartoony graphics and the free to play aspect might bring in a lot of kids, who wouldn't even really understand how bad the game is, they wouldn't care because it's free and is a cartoon.

I think 343 will be reshuffled, people in management roles will be fired and replaced, rightfully, the game won't survive more than 2 or 3 years, and a new Halo will be developed in the span of 3 or 4 more years. Problem is that we'll need to wait another 6 - 7 years, give or take. I'll be too old for that.

I realized a few days after the release of the gameplay reveal in July that Halo 5 is the last good (good enough) Halo game I'll ever play in my life. That's so depressing, but it's time you realize it too: Halo is ____.

(I'll get banned if I write my opinion, but, if you can't guess which 4 lettered word goes in the space, then PM me for a clue).
Well, the first thing to happen would be the firing of most of, if not all of 343's upper management, as well as a bunch other employees jumping ship while they can. The MCC team likely wouldn't suffer much, but the main development team would be a shadow of its former self, if not disbanded entirely.

The Halo brand would continue, with books, toys and other merch being made, but game-wise it'd probably be dormant for quite a few years, something like what happened to Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. The Master Chief Collection would continue chugging along for a while, adding and fixing whatever they can, maybe a spin-off game gets released a few years later, but main series games go into limbo, with Infinite likely getting some kind of ending to close it out.

After all that, either 343 or another studio are put in charge of the franchise and an attempt at a revival is made. If it succeeds, the franchise comes back swinging. If it fails, the franchise likely gets relegated to books and merch.
I'm not so high on infinite considering H5 really didn't have great player retention and they never outright said how much it sold, typically a company releases that information if they're pleased with a game. Then as another poster said, infinite has pretty much had bad press for most of it's development and 343 has been so quiet on trying to quell it.

I'm actually of the mindset that if infinite doesn't do well, then Microsoft will restructure 343 as they've already been doing it in infinites development as is. I think the game has to do more than break even to even be considered a "success" just by the expectations. There's this 10 year plan they want to do, and if infinite ends up like say Anthem where player retention becomes an issue, then it's dead on arrival when it comes to that 10 year plan🤷 . I don't see microsoft ever selling the halo IP, it's not the flagship franchise it used to be but it can still have value. At worst they stop making halo games for a while and give it a break, some franchises that got stale have benefited from a good decade long break.

II als won't be buying infinite unless it looks appealing after launch, after reach, H4 and H5, I've little interest in the modern halo games really :/ and infinites demo and gameplay really didn't help persuade me
Ah man, the last option makes me scared. I’m sure Infinite will be a success. But not a massive one.
Let’s be honest with ourselves, Infinite won’t be a great success. Since it’s reveal no one is excited for Halo: Infinite outside of the hardcore Halo fans like us. It will sell okay at launch, but unless 343 shows us some great information that will build a strong community Infinite is dead on arrival.
Infinite’s success is banking almost entirely on the free-to-play multiplayer. If 343 pulls another Halo 5 and includes nothing at launch to pad out their ‘ten-year plan’, the game is dead. Not to mention how all the negative press surrounding Infinite has turned the game into a laughingstock on pretty much every social media platform.
Let's be realistic here. The game is going to be a success. How much of one I don't know, but it will be a success. If Halo 5 which is largely considered to be the worst Halo game in the franchise can sell decently well, then I don't see why infinite in spite of poor PR management would do any worse. Now in the worst case doomer scenario, say Infinite does somehow manage to be a commercial failure, the most likely thing that would happen is the company being reshuffled and heads would roll. The second option is that MS decides to take a risk and hands the Halo IP to another game dev to try and experiment with it and see what sticks. Halo isn't being canceled though even if Infinite fails. The Halo brand may not be as strong as it use to be, but MS knows Halo still has the potential to be a money maker for them so they'll try every option they have before the thought of canning it outright comes up.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Let’s be honest with ourselves, Infinite won’t be a great success. Since it’s reveal no one is excited for Halo: Infinite outside of the hardcore Halo fans like us. It will sell okay at launch, but unless 343 shows us some great information that will build a strong community Infinite is dead on arrival.
I hate to agree with you on this. I'm looking forward to playing a new and fresh Halo experience, but where is the hype? We literally have almost nothing to be excited about other than what is in our imaginations, and that certainly wont bring success to the game. Microsoft is a massive company that knows how to advertise and bring the hype. So I'm worried that Infinite is currently in a state that they cannot show any of it to us for fear that it would do more damage than good. Which is very disquieting considering the game was slated to be released already. I don't have a problem with the delay, but the radio silence.
If Halo 5 which is largely considered to be the worst Halo game in the franchise can sell decently well, then I don't see why infinite in spite of poor PR management would do any worse.
Because Infinite's multiplayer is F2P, meaning you don't have to pay anything if you want to play that. And you don't have to pay them (almost) anything for the campaign either, as Infinite will be included within Game Pass from launch day. With H5G, Microsoft still made money off the people who tried the game once, but abandoned it because they didn't like it. With Infinite, they won't.
Regardless of quality (or lack thereof), the odds are stacked against Infinite in terms of actual sales. And I don't see Game Pass being able to remedy that, at 10 bucks per month, which is less than the MSRP of a brand-new game. Infinite needs to incentivize people to subscribe for six months to make the same amount of money that previous titles would have made on release. Nevermind that you get Game Pass Trial Codes for half that amount or less (sometimes even free), and you don't need an entire month to finish a game.
At this point there are more bad halo games than good. Don't see that changing any time soon.
GRNT WRK wrote:
At this point there are more bad halo games than good. Don't see that changing any time soon.
1-3 and Reach = good
4 and 5 = bad
?????
GRNT WRK wrote:
Reach = good
?????
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3