Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

What is 343 doing with Halo's story?

OP Savage5078

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Given the fact that Halo Reach ended on July 7, 2589. There is a little problem that 343 is gonna have to deal with, with Halo Infinite being one of the last halo games, they have to make the story be connected all again, since Halo Reach's ending concludes that the war is over at July 7, 2589, and the UNSC won.
That is a little bit worrying, since it all needs to be connected, and I think its correct for 343 to have 10 years after Halo Infinite's release, since they have to think how's the story is gonna, since it all ends on July 7 2589.
And I think the Halo Reach community is not gonna be happy about that.
Savage5078 wrote:
Given the fact that Halo Reach ended on July 7, 2589. There is a little problem that 343 is gonna have to deal with, with Halo Infinite being one of the last halo games, they have to make the story be connected all again, since Halo Reach's ending concludes that the war is over at July 7, 2589, and the UNSC won.
That is a little bit worrying, since it all needs to be connected, and I think its correct for 343 to have 10 years after Halo Infinite's release, since they have to think how's the story is gonna, since it all ends on July 7 2589.
Maybe I’m misinterpreting your post but canonically Reach was before any of the other Halo games.

Meaning that Infinite’s Story doesn’t need to worry about lining up with Reach’s story all that much considering Infinite will be the latest game in the timeline of events.

Are you able to clarify what you mean?
TheDonCJG wrote:
Savage5078 wrote:
Maybe I’m misinterpreting your post but canonically Reach was before any of the other Halo games.

Meaning that Infinite’s Story doesn’t need to worry about lining up with Reach’s story all that much considering Infinite will be the latest game in the timeline of events.

Do you not remember that reach's ending where Dr. Halsey was making a voice over on July 7, 2589 ?
That the war was over?
TheDonCJG wrote:
Savage5078 wrote:

Halo Reach’s epilougue cutscene is set on July 7, 2589. Almost 30 years after Halo Infinite.

To answer OP, I don’t think Infinite is one of the last Halo games. Halo will stick around as long as MS wants it to. Reach’s epilogue doesn’t necessarely mean that whole of Halo’s story ends there. I do
think that MC is either dead or fully retired by then. All we know is that Halsey is still alive and that Reach is habitable again.
As the post above me mentioned Reach’s epilogue only implys that Humanity is reclaiming Reach. The Human-Covenant war has been many years concluded since the events of H3, which is probably the only war Halsey was referencing. Reach’s epilogue has very little consequence on continuing the story past 2589. Additionally H6 takes place in 2559-2560ish, they have about 30 years of wiggle room still.
Savage5078 wrote:
Considering Halo: Reach itself did a lot of damage to Halo: The Fall of Reach's story and required 343 to do a lot of tweaking and retconning to make it make sense, maybe they should hold off the torches and pitchforks for a minute.

Ultimately, they could have Halsey say that voiceover at any point or not at all and the story would be just fine.
Technically we don't know that Halsey's voice over quote was spoken in 2589, just that there is a human ship on Reach in 2589. Halsey's quote can be from any point in the post-war timeline
CrazeTurk wrote:
All we know is that Halsey is still alive and that Reach is habitable again.
We actually don't even know that. We don't see halsey actually there speaking, and her wording is vague enough to apply to any time post covenant war.
Obviously the impact of Reach's epilogue was going to be significantly reduced with the release of each new installment in the franchise, but they have ample in-universe time to make it work. If I remember correctly, Halsey is specifically mentioning the Human-Covenant War anyway (and not the Created crisis nor the post-war antics), so the epilogue makes sense in that Halsey is revisiting the events of the Human-Covenant War and Noble Six's heroism during that- even if a ton of crazy -Yoink- happened afterward.

In fact, the story might run right up into the epilogue and end there- I think a good idea (plausibility aside) would be for them to include the shot from the end of Reach and the epilogue, then expand the original epilogue to include the rest of the events that happened since Reach to sort of conclude the series as a whole on their final game. As you can see, they have plenty of options to pursue, and just because the Universe has moved way past Reach that doesn't mean they can't wrap things up nicely.
There's no reason for the reach epilogue scene to be considered 'the end'. Its just there to show the UNSC resettling the planet. Books/Hunt the truth have already shown the UNSC claiming glassed worlds, so its not like they have to wait for some ultimate peace time.

Honestly I like Reach and its Epilogue, but I feel like people put too much weight on it.
The only problem I see with having a follow up to the end of reach would be the age of everything. In halo 5 chief is around 40 years old and that end cutscene of reach takes place 30 years after halo 5. So they could make a game, they would just need a new character to take chiefs place.
If the master chief is still alive to that point he would be too old to continue being a spartan, I thought that everything would end in Halo infinite but as the story goes it seems that they want to continue squeezing him to the fullest, just like Assassin's Creed
If the master chief is still alive to that point he would be too old to continue being a spartan, I thought that everything would end in Halo infinite but as the story goes it seems that they want to continue squeezing him to the fullest, just like Assassin's Creed
Given how the community went bonkers over Locke, the community pretty much told them to milk chief to the fullest.
I will say I am worried at their use of “spiritual reboot” and telling people that any new person to halo could jump in to Infinite and not be missing too much. It could be an Infinite amount of things, however I hope they address the plot holes. I can deal with anyone being able to jump in to halo and love it and hopefully this is the case but I really hope they address all the things that have happened so far.
Savage5078 wrote:
In one of Halo 3 Believe trailers a retired LT in 2573 talks about Master Chief's funeral being held 5 years ago.So that would mean Chief dies in 2568.
But like with Reach epilogue,that stuff was made a long time ago by Bungie.So i don't think that 343 is sticking to those timelines.
Given how the community went bonkers over Locke, the community pretty much told them to milk chief to the fullest.
Jerome from halo wars would be a better a remplacement, not a random spartan IV who thinks is over spartans II
Is not the community fault, 343 have been trying to do spartans IV look greater than a spartan II since Halo 4, and that's his fault.
Also jerome is not the only spartan II on service.
Jerome from halo wars would be a better a remplacement, not a random spartan IV who thinks is over spartans IIIs not the community fault, 343 have been trying to do spartans IV look greater than a spartan II since Halo 4, and that's his fault.
Also jerome is not the only spartan II on service.
Being obsessed over spartan generation is entirely the community's fault. You are assigning ill will to both the characters and 343 because they dared not be a spartan II.

343 has done nothing to say SIV's are better. Locke did not say he was better than chief. He got an assignment and he performed it to the best of his ability. 343 isn't the one starting a million threads about "Which spartan generation is best" or "who beats who in 1v1 fight" that's entirely the community. 343 has generally gone with an approach that they are all spartans, but anything resembling equality is not tolerated by the community.

Spirit of Fire should be lost in space for over a century, and only got brought back into the setting due to more plot shenanigans than anything the S-IV's have pulled. I don't really see what makes Jerome so special beyond being effectively the same character.
To be honest I have an idea that could appease the community by having maybe some spartan Vs a new generation of Spartans that are just essentially IIs. Or we could maybe see a clone of the chief if cloning technology is advanced enough by the time a clone becomes necessary. I feel like that would be interesting.
This has nothing to do with good writing and story telling. If a date from a 2010 game is all you think they should focus on when writing infinite, then thats the real issue.
To be honest I have an idea that could appease the community by having maybe some spartan Vs a new generation of Spartans that are just essentially IIs. Or we could maybe see a clone of the chief if cloning technology is advanced enough by the time a clone becomes necessary. I feel like that would be interesting.
Why make a new Spartan generation when the IVs are the expected end result? Only way you’d possibly get some on par with IIs is with kidnapping and indoctrinating kids again and that’s not happening.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2