Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] What is this, 2007?

OP RomanHoliday666

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
I suspect it's a simple matter of the rapid decline in popularity of the franchise over the past several years causing them to (a) backpedal to what Halo looked & sounded like when it was on top and (b) listening to fan complaints & criticisms of the recent ... shall we say, underwhelming performing titles.

Everyone knows Chief looked amazing in Halo 4. But Halo 4 wasn't well received. So we're in old school mode to see how well that goes. Remember when Star Wars changed how it looked for the prequels and everyone hated it? Halo 4 was The Phantom Menace in that regard ... only Halo 4 had a good story. Part of me wonders if people would have been more forgiving of Halo 4's multiplayer as well if it had looked the part ... I mean look how quickly Reach was forgiven of its sins.

Now don't get me wrong, I rather like the new artstyle. But the people have spoken. And the more I see the old artstyle updated graphically (H2A, HW2, Infinite), the more I want it back. So I am all on board with what we've seen so far (maybe except for the Reach AR, I was never a fan of the look of that thing ... but I suppose I could welcome it back for old time sake.)

I think this is the right track. At least I hope so.
Nadesicle wrote:
This is what majority of the Halo community has wanted. If you weren't around during the original games I'm sorry, but this is Halo.
I have to agree with this statement.

A return to core halo in a familiar and yet completely renewed level of visual fidelity. Four and five moved away from the core militaristic approach of Halo and more into fantasy in some areas.

The level of detail in the latest trailer has underscored what Halo can be moving forward into a future generation of gaming technology.
is this game set just before or during halo 3?! What happened to your vision for halo chief’s armor and the design choices and reason for your mjolnir armor in 4 and 5. I remember the vidoc explaining why these choices were made. More militaristic design. Tank like architecture. Little details like 117 in Braille. A visor that picked up the elements in the room. Etc etc.

now chief looks like a stiff sluggish wood board. That pelican scene is proof. This armor is so stiff it be better used as a ladder.

i hope these cinematics are all just deflection till gameplay and real story comes into play. Or all I see is a catering to cry babies who didn’t put time and hard work into halo 4 and 5. Or else what was the point Bonnie Ross?! What happened to the reclaimer trilogy? Do those games matter or is this truly a hard reboot that asks players to forget your first two iterations?
I think the game will ultimately be good, though I am saddened the reclaimer plot went to nothing. As for his armor, the main beef people had was that it was not the same due to Cortana somehow changing it with nanobots, which was never shown to be a previous feature. Had he gotten it on say, the Infinity to replace his old armor, it would likely have been accepted far more. As for the "hard time and effort" of halo 4-5, some people just disliked it and didn't want to waste money on something they would not enjoy.

I didn't bother with either due to the now canon multiplayer which took away sangheili, depriving me of the immersion I got from that since days of halo 2. Why would I want to play as a random spartan in multiplayer for the next two games after that? As for plot, in my eyes halo 4 had a wonderful story with an excellent ending. Halo 5, on the other hand brought in guardians, something not hinted at existing in the forerunner novels, the Warden who has literally no backstory, and of course Cortana.

Plus from what I have seen, you can't forge or do anything decent offline, you have to be online for those, unlike halo 3 and Reach. People are not really being crybabies, just pointing out with various flaws or saying their thoughts.
Nadesicle wrote:
This is what majority of the Halo community has wanted. If you weren't around during the original games I'm sorry, but this is Halo.
As someone who has been around since Halo: CE; it's not what I wanted. I'm pro-change, and pro-new. Nostalgia is nice and all, but Halo needs something new unless it wants to stagnate. Halo 5 is by far my least played Halo game, Warzone is nice and it's a good start for change; but if we're being real, Halo can't ride on waves of nostalgia forever.

Even Nintendo got that hint with Zelda and we wound up with Breath of the Wild.
I agree. But the art style does not implicate how the game is played.

Nostalgia and change don't have to be separate, and I think Halo Infinite will hit it on the head.
all I see is a catering to cry babies who didn’t put time and hard work into halo 4 and 5.
Do you not realise how you're sounding right now? The irony is almost humorous.

Quote:
As they say, you can't please everyone.
I am thrilled with the way the Chief is looking now. Just earlier, I flicked back and forward between the Discover Hope armour and images of the Master Chief from classic Halo 2, 3 and 4. This is definitely one of my favourite iterations of the Master Chief I've ever seen. They've taken the classic MJOLNIR Mark VI and enhanced it to fit a new Halo moving forward. Not even Halo 2 Anniversary did as good of a job as being faithful to the Chief while also improving his armour. I'll probably always like Halo 3's the most, but I am absolutely loving the way they are moving the visuals forward based on this trailer. Halo 4 or 5 didn't pull it off for me. H2A didn't pull it off for me. But Infinite is looking amazing! Love the Pelican interior as well. Reminds me of classic Halo CE and 2. Considering it's all rendered in-engine and not simply CGI, I can't wait to see more!
To be honest I think Chiefs Halo 4 and 5 look was still pretty decent. In fact I hated pretty much every element of Halo 4 and 5's artstyle EXCEPT Chiefs Armour. But i think his classic look is better. Judging by all positive responses from the infinite trailers, I'd say the vast majority of the community prefers his Halo 2/3 look.

While 343s artstyle wasn't necessarily bad, it was far more generic looking. Now that they're revisiting the old art style with new technology, and some elements of their own style, it actually looks like a Halo game again.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Well that's the pot calling the kettle black. I'm sorry you aren't happy with the new direction, but this is what the community has been asking for since H4.
It’s kinda a joke when you say the community. One, because you don’t know who all of the community consists of. It’s like a cult of personality, “community asked for it” so we’ll listen to that to pull the most money instead of sticking to our new design because bungie owns the previous design. That’s why it’s not exactly the halo 3 design. It’s the suit they used in forward unto dawn. If it were me I would of stuck with the design we came up with because if this were all true. Suspend your disbelief, if you can. chief would be a -Yoinking!- tank.
Well that's the pot calling the kettle black. I'm sorry you aren't happy with the new direction, but this is what the community has been asking for since H4.
You mean some of the community. Sure, the guys who started with Halo 2 and 3 can be quite vocal, but what about those of us that started with CE? I actually liked the Chief's H4 armor. This variant looks copy/pasted out of 2004 aesthetics.
No, the community. You guys are the minority here. 343 is finally listening to their base instead of the people who whine and complain whenever the base brings up how bad H4 and H5 are.
Roman, that's all hyperbole on your part, but here's a fact, Bungie does not own Halo, or any of it's assets. Microsoft does, and since 343 is a Microsoft studio, they have access to all the assets, including H3 armor.

Also, Sentinel, I and many others who like the "new" direction 343 seems to be taking starting with CE as well, it's silly to complain about the armor in yet another engine demo, it's not the final product.
Nostalgia pandering at it worst a total mess this whole e3 show was lackluster excepted for flight simulator im so pissed. Halo died today cause of what the vocal minority of mass delusional sycophants has halo 5 bad ??????????? Not all of it the story yes but the way it played was in my mine prefect. #NOBUYYOUNOSTAGICCLOWNCANHAVEIT
Halo 5's multiplayer was good? There were some good things multiplayer-wise but people were annoyed with how fast-paced it became, the micro-transactions, the countless weapon/armor skins and the lack of playable sangheili. If I recall, it lacked forge on launch, which had to be added later and then could only be used online. There likely are other things, but the lousy plot, combined with those flaws made halo 5 unpopular.
Nadesicle wrote:
This is what majority of the Halo community has wanted. If you weren't around during the original games I'm sorry, but this is Halo.
As someone who has been around since Halo: CE; it's not what I wanted. I'm pro-change, and pro-new. Nostalgia is nice and all, but Halo needs something new unless it wants to stagnate. Halo 5 is by far my least played Halo game, Warzone is nice and it's a good start for change; but if we're being real, Halo can't ride on waves of nostalgia forever.

Even Nintendo got that hint with Zelda and we wound up with Breath of the Wild.
I totally agree.

I just hope their trying to bring it back to the original days for the fans won't translate into rehashing many themes. The cinematic fell short for me because it felt like they were trying desperately to say "hey we're basically giving you halo 1 again. look! look! look! we listened look at that door! Halo 1! look at those sparks! look at chief floating there all typical like!".

I half expected the ODST to say "sorry for the quick thaw master chief", thinking it was almost a re-make of CE. That makes me feel wary about them pushing the envelope while *also* keeping the spirit of halo that we know and love. But I suppose we'll see.

At this point my only hope is they don't erase the themes between Cortana and Chief in Halo 4. That was some beautiful heart wrenching more complex writing that i really enjoyed that the original trilogy never really gave too much attention to.

Also maybe not popular opinion, but I loved the armour in Halo 4. It worked with the modernization of the gaming world and of course given the promethean tech we were seeing. I do miss it. Welcome back crotch plate.
I haven't been that critical of Chief's armor in any of the games but I will say the Halo 2/3 version was my favorite. I don't agree with him looking like a "stiff sluggish wood board" sentiment but its understandable… Actually, this is looking to be favorite take on his armor yet!

I definitely agree all variations of Chief's armor should be available to other players spartans in customization.
It still annoys me to this day in halo 4 how you wake up in a new suit of armour randomly with no explanation, yes I know its nano tech that changed his suit but the lack of explanation in the game is infuriating. ( A small rant I just have to get out there)

His suit in Halo 2 and 3 was iconic and I honestly don't know why it was changed so drastically besides his helmet holding on to some elements of his old look. I know it was for a fresh new look that 343 wanted to try and that's fine it is a good look but it could never compare to the old.

If I saw him in his H4 + 5 suit in the new trailer I'd be like yaaay! But seeing him in an older style looking closer to the iconic look and I'm like YYYYYEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🙌

the new/old look is a definite nod from me
Nostalgia pandering at it worst a total mess this whole e3 show was lackluster excepted for flight simulator im so pissed. Halo died today cause of what the vocal minority of mass delusional sycophants has halo 5 bad ??????????? Not all of it the story yes but the way it played was in my mine prefect. #NOBUYYOUNOSTAGICCLOWNCANHAVEIT
So Halo died because you couldn’t get your Halo 5 clone and you’re blaming us fans who wanted this since 4 years pretty self-entitled aren’t you

You go play your Halo 5 while us true fans enjoy the next Instalment
Nostalgia-based decisions only end is disaster. Look at the Star Wars sequel trilogy. People demanded movies like the original trilogy. When TFA ended essentially being an ANH remake, people became angry. My fear is that, while people want Halo to "return to it's roots", when it finally does, they will be angry because it's "too much like the old games" and demand "something new". This always happens with beloved franchises, and it always ends the same way.

Either way I'm sure that *I* will enjoy it though. I've never disliked a Halo game before.
The failings of Halo 5 had nothing to do with the art style but the fact that too much focus was placed on Americans on when they only account for less 5% of the world's population where only they could have good ping as well as poor handling in marketing and storyline. If anything American was the reason why Halo 5 didn't do so well.
All I see here is a vocal minority calling for a return to the past when there's a silent majority that doesn't necessarily speak English as their main language enjoy the science fiction direction of Halo 5. We need an importance of addressing the ping issue with better servers because to offer competitive gameplay when most of the population can't even be competitive made arena barely better than Halo 4. Why you think Warzone is the best game mode, because it caters to everyone around the world including Australians like me.

This is Halo's niche, to be as believable as possible as something said in the future with realistic physics and space travelling story telling unlike Star Wars which is just scientific fantasy with huge plot holes.
One of my favourite past times is reading the Halo lore on wiki websites, studying and scrutinising every detail so that its makes sense. Halo as a franchise is more than a game and if we go backwards we will lose the thing that sets us apart and our competitors will overwhelm us and its not just FPS, but third person shooters, MOBAs, whatever Overwatch is and things like Fortnite or PUBG.
Nadesicle wrote:
Well that's the pot calling the kettle black. I'm sorry you aren't happy with the new direction, but this is what the community has been asking for since H4.
You mean some of the community. Sure, the guys who started with Halo 2 and 3 can be quite vocal, but what about those of us that started with CE? I actually liked the Chief's H4 armor. This variant looks copy/pasted out of 2004 aesthetics.
Well that's the pot calling the kettle black. I'm sorry you aren't happy with the new direction, but this is what the community has been asking for since H4.
You mean some of the community. Sure, the guys who started with Halo 2 and 3 can be quite vocal, but what about those of us that started with CE? I actually liked the Chief's H4 armor. This variant looks copy/pasted out of 2004 aesthetics.
seriously dude. It’s like CE-3 is the only time frame halo is allowed to take place with these people. After that time isn’t allowed to progress. Halsey or the unsc can’t make progress and allow humanities greatest warriors to get the upper hand with technology and weapon systems. cortana can’t upgrade cheifs armor because she just an AI that has ever tool at her fingertips while plugged into a unsc frigate. Some we might even know because we don’t have clearence to know so. ;)
I’ve put in hundreds of hours playing every entry into the main storyline.
Your profile says otherwise..
Lol.
*Claims hundreds of hours*
*Has less than 2 days in each game*

But I'm sure you know more about the art style, narrative, gameplay, ranking system, weapon balance, customization, UI, etc. than the rest of us that have been complaining about it since 2010.
Nadesicle wrote:
Well that's the pot calling the kettle black. I'm sorry you aren't happy with the new direction, but this is what the community has been asking for since H4.
You mean some of the community. Sure, the guys who started with Halo 2 and 3 can be quite vocal, but what about those of us that started with CE? I actually liked the Chief's H4 armor. This variant looks copy/pasted out of 2004 aesthetics.
Well that's the pot calling the kettle black. I'm sorry you aren't happy with the new direction, but this is what the community has been asking for since H4.
You mean some of the community. Sure, the guys who started with Halo 2 and 3 can be quite vocal, but what about those of us that started with CE? I actually liked the Chief's H4 armor. This variant looks copy/pasted out of 2004 aesthetics.
seriously dude. It’s like CE-3 is the only time frame halo is allowed to take place with these people. After that time isn’t allowed to progress. Halsey or the unsc can’t make progress and allow humanities greatest warriors to get the upper hand with technology and weapon systems. cortana can’t upgrade cheifs armor because she just an AI that has ever tool at her fingertips while plugged into a unsc frigate. Some we might even know because we don’t have clearence to know so. ;)
I’ve put in hundreds of hours playing every entry into the main storyline.
Your profile says otherwise..
Lol.
*Claims hundreds of hours*
*Has less than 2 days in each game*

But I'm sure you know more about the art style, narrative, gameplay, ranking system, weapon balance, customization, UI, etc. than the rest of us that have been complaining about it since 2010.
Ikr? This dude claiming to be an expert on all things halo and it's quite obvious he didn't show up until 343 was getting the torch for things.
Don't get me wrong, I like reach but.. Jesus... This guy probably hasn't played Halo 1 even.
Well, I respect everyone's right to their opinion.

But, if this is 2007 again... 2007 was the height of Halo's popularity. Seems to me like that wouldn't be a bad thing if it's 2007 again. ;)
JohnDang55 wrote:
The failings of Halo 5 had nothing to do with the art style but the fact that too much focus was placed on Americans on when they only account for less 5% of the world's population where only they could have good ping as well as poor handling in marketing and storyline. If anything American was the reason why Halo 5 didn't do so well.
All I see here is a vocal minority calling for a return to the past when there's a silent majority that doesn't necessarily speak English as their main language enjoy the science fiction direction of Halo 5. We need an importance of addressing the ping issue with better servers because to offer competitive gameplay when most of the population can't even be competitive made arena barely better than Halo 4. Why you think Warzone is the best game mode, because it caters to everyone around the world including Australians like me.

This is Halo's niche, to be as believable as possible as something said in the future with realistic physics and space travelling story telling unlike Star Wars which is just scientific fantasy with huge plot holes.
One of my favourite past times is reading the Halo lore on wiki websites, studying and scrutinising every detail so that its makes sense. Halo as a franchise is more than a game and if we go backwards we will lose the thing that sets us apart and our competitors will overwhelm us and its not just FPS, but third person shooters, MOBAs, whatever Overwatch is and things like Fortnite or PUBG.
Sales numbers put your argument to shame. Just going off wiki:

Halo CE (Xbox): 5.5m
Halo 2 (Xbox): 8m
Halo 3: 14.5m
Halo reach: 9.8m
Halo 4: 9.7m
Halo 5: 5m

It is no secret that halo peaked in 07-10, and that the people complaining are a "vocal minority". Now, if Microsoft wants to try and sanitize their halo to try and sell it in China then they can certainly try, but the franchise will most probably NOT be halo.
Halo returning to it's more successful roots is the financially smart thing to do, and should infinity fail to garner the sales it needs then we might end up seeing the halo franchise shelved considering they have gone into the negative from where the series started.
JohnDang55 wrote:
The failings of Halo 5 had nothing to do with the art style but the fact that too much focus was placed on Americans on when they only account for less 5% of the world's population where only they could have good ping as well as poor handling in marketing and storyline. If anything American was the reason why Halo 5 didn't do so well.
All I see here is a vocal minority calling for a return to the past when there's a silent majority that doesn't necessarily speak English as their main language enjoy the science fiction direction of Halo 5. We need an importance of addressing the ping issue with better servers because to offer competitive gameplay when most of the population can't even be competitive made arena barely better than Halo 4. Why you think Warzone is the best game mode, because it caters to everyone around the world including Australians like me.

This is Halo's niche, to be as believable as possible as something said in the future with realistic physics and space travelling story telling unlike Star Wars which is just scientific fantasy with huge plot holes.
One of my favourite past times is reading the Halo lore on wiki websites, studying and scrutinising every detail so that its makes sense. Halo as a franchise is more than a game and if we go backwards we will lose the thing that sets us apart and our competitors will overwhelm us and its not just FPS, but third person shooters, MOBAs, whatever Overwatch is and things like Fortnite or PUBG.
Sales numbers put your argument to shame. Just going off wiki:

Halo CE (Xbox): 5.5m
Halo 2 (Xbox): 8m
Halo 3: 14.5m
Halo reach: 9.8m
Halo 4: 9.7m
Halo 5: 5m

It is no secret that halo peaked in 07-10, and that the people complaining are a "vocal minority". Now, if Microsoft wants to try and sanitize their halo to try and sell it in China then they can certainly try, but the franchise will most probably NOT be halo.
Halo returning to it's more successful roots is the financially smart thing to do, and should infinity fail to garner the sales it needs then we might end up seeing the halo franchise shelved considering they have gone into the negative from where the series started.
It was easy for Halo to peak back then especially Halo 3 because it was one of the few games worth buying, there was barely any competition back then. Call of Duty didn’t start getting prominence till COD4 which was 2008. Also back then Xbox 360 was superior to the ps4 and more popular too compared to now where Xbox didn’t regain superiority with the one s and the one x and is still less popular.
We cannot go back there and think we will triple our sales because of new artsyle, we have address actual problems in the game and fix them so everyone in the world can enjoy it and I’m talking more dedicated servers. There is too much competition splitting the possible gamer base.

As long as we have a good story that follows on from Halo 5 and good gameplay mechanics, and having the 2017 requisition system with the free req packs from firefight as oppose to the 2015 requisition system we should be good. And as long as Microsoft keeps up with promotions with Xbox live and game pass we should be good standing and no need to revert back, we will have the back up of PC support. What we absolutely cannot have is a game marketed and designed with just Americans in mind.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6