Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

What pace do we want for multiplayer

OP BigWinkyy69

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
E3 is right around the corner. I have noticed that the pace of play for Halo 5 is extremely fast, while Halo 3 has a moderately paced gameplay. Reach is a little slower on BTB. Do we want something slower, or really fast like Halo 5? Personally I do not like the GO GO GO gameplay. It makes everything so stressful to play. What do you guys think?
Happy 3 is too slow. Slower than even H2 IMO. I'm basing this entirely off of movement speed and map traversal. I like the speed of Halo 4 and Halo 5 the most.

My opinion, keep it where it is. Don't speed it up. I hate Call of Duty and Destiny PvP mostly because there's not much of a health system. You're pretty much dead if you're shot first and literally no time to react. I prefer my games as "engagements" rather than I shot first so you die for 90% of fights.
Happy 3 is too slow. Slower than even H2 IMO. I'm basing this entirely off of movement speed and map traversal. I like the speed of Halo 4 and Halo 5 the most.
FYI, Halo 2 and 3 have the same movement speed. Halo 3 feels slower because the smaller field of view makes it look that way. Halo 4 and 5 have sprint, but the maps have been scaled accordingly such that the traversal times remain about the same as in Halo 2 and 3.

If we're talking about "pace" or "speed" of gameplay we're talking about, we should be careful to specify what we're referring to, because there are many different metrics that aren't necessarily compatible (as in, one game may be faster than another in one, but slower in another): maximum movement speed, average time to encounter, average time to death. The first is the easiest to get data on, and the second roughly corresponds to map traversal times (and hence depends on average map size).
In my opinion, halo infinite need to be belanced. Speed like halo 5 (wich is perfect) but a bit slower.
Keep sprint, evade and clambering abilities. Remove shoulder bash and ground pound. Halo don't need any other abilities than the first 3 mentioned. Also hopefully they don't go the halo 4 route, making it like call of duty and adding classes and perks. This isn't cod.

Also id love to see the power weapons not on timers for all to see. Older halo games added that extra bit of skill of having to always keep an eye on the clock and knowing about when its going to respawn.
tsassi wrote:
Happy 3 is too slow. Slower than even H2 IMO. I'm basing this entirely off of movement speed and map traversal. I like the speed of Halo 4 and Halo 5 the most.
FYI, Halo 2 and 3 have the same movement speed. Halo 3 feels slower because the smaller field of view makes it look that way. Halo 4 and 5 have sprint, but the maps have been scaled accordingly such that the traversal times remain about the same as in Halo 2 and 3.

If we're talking about "pace" or "speed" of gameplay we're talking about, we should be careful to specify what we're referring to, because there are many different metrics that aren't necessarily compatible (as in, one game may be faster than another in one, but slower in another): maximum movement speed, average time to encounter, average time to death. The first is the easiest to get data on, and the second roughly corresponds to map traversal times (and hence depends on average map size).
Yeah I was basing it loosely on kill times and most on physical movement. Halo 3 had seemingly more "open" maps that were bigger visually, so it SEEMED like it took forever getting from Point A to B. This is why H3 feels slower to me than any of the games. Kill times are give or take minute milli/tenths of seconds, mere fractions between games. H4 and H5 physically are faster and kill times quicker than previous iterations. I prefer this because it's warranted for the speeds we move. If gunplay slowed down with how we can move around maps, games would be more drawn out and encounters escaped from easier if on the losing end, which I don't like.
Keep sprint, evade and clambering abilities. Remove shoulder bash and ground pound. Halo don't need any other abilities than the first 3 mentioned. Also hopefully they don't go the halo 4 route, making it like call of duty and adding classes and perks. This isn't cod.

Also id love to see the power weapons not on timers for all to see. Older halo games added that extra bit of skill of having to always keep an eye on the clock and knowing about when its going to respawn.
I agree with what you say about the weapon timers, however I think all spartan abilities should go.
tsassi wrote:
Happy 3 is too slow. Slower than even H2 IMO. I'm basing this entirely off of movement speed and map traversal. I like the speed of Halo 4 and Halo 5 the most.
FYI, Halo 2 and 3 have the same movement speed. Halo 3 feels slower because the smaller field of view makes it look that way. Halo 4 and 5 have sprint, but the maps have been scaled accordingly such that the traversal times remain about the same as in Halo 2 and 3.

If we're talking about "pace" or "speed" of gameplay we're talking about, we should be careful to specify what we're referring to, because there are many different metrics that aren't necessarily compatible (as in, one game may be faster than another in one, but slower in another): maximum movement speed, average time to encounter, average time to death. The first is the easiest to get data on, and the second roughly corresponds to map traversal times (and hence depends on average map size).
I am referring to average time of encounter. Halo 3 was perfect because it didnt have so much going on that it makes you annoyed. In H5 you cant turn a corner without thinking of someone ground pounding you, or someone clambering behind you.
A mixture for me. Classic Halo is too slow, it gets boring fast. H5 is too hectic, flying around the map, I get my fill of that after a few matches lol
I'm in the boat of, if you take sprint out then you should increase the base movement speed and acceleration. Maybe keep it at 1.25x-1.4x the movement speed of Halo 2-3. This would allow good strafe mechanics so that landing shots isn't too easy. I get both sides of the argument on why sprint should stay, honestly, I can't make up mind on sprint. But I do think the base movement speed should be higher than in Halo 2-3, those games do feel a little slow now that I've gotten used to Halo 5.
I'm in the boat of, if you take sprint out then you should increase the base movement speed and acceleration. Maybe keep it at 1.25x-1.4x the movement speed of Halo 2-3. This would allow good strafe mechanics so that landing shots isn't too easy. I get both sides of the argument on why sprint should stay, honestly, I can't make up mind on sprint. But I do think the base movement speed should be higher than in Halo 2-3, those games do feel a little slow now that I've gotten used to Halo 5.
Halo 3 feels slow because of it's terrible field of view. I'm ok with increased base movement but I feel we also need FoV sliders in all games.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts. Do not flame/attack others
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
eviltedi wrote:
I'm in the boat of, if you take sprint out then you should increase the base movement speed and acceleration. Maybe keep it at 1.25x-1.4x the movement speed of Halo 2-3. This would allow good strafe mechanics so that landing shots isn't too easy. I get both sides of the argument on why sprint should stay, honestly, I can't make up mind on sprint. But I do think the base movement speed should be higher than in Halo 2-3, those games do feel a little slow now that I've gotten used to Halo 5.
Halo 3 feels slow because of it's terrible field of view. I'm ok with increased base movement but I feel we also need FoV sliders in all games.
Yea I know about the FOV, i'm just referring to sprint and thruster got me used to higher speed. Like if we don't have sprint then I'd like slightly higher base speed and acceleration. And if we don't have thruster then I wouldn't mind more control of jumps (mid-air strafe control to an extent).

I'm going to be playing on PC anyway, so I'm assuming FOV sliders will be one of the many options on PC including FPS caps and stuff.
Keep sprint, evade and clambering abilities. Remove shoulder bash and ground pound. Halo don't need any other abilities than the first 3 mentioned. Also hopefully they don't go the halo 4 route, making it like call of duty and adding classes and perks. This isn't cod.

Also id love to see the power weapons not on timers for all to see. Older halo games added that extra bit of skill of having to always keep an eye on the clock and knowing about when its going to respawn.
yeah im behind this 100%. also no grenade hit markers like in the classic halos.
Theee JD wrote:
Keep sprint, evade and clambering abilities. Remove shoulder bash and ground pound. Halo don't need any other abilities than the first 3 mentioned. Also hopefully they don't go the halo 4 route, making it like call of duty and adding classes and perks. This isn't cod.

Also id love to see the power weapons not on timers for all to see. Older halo games added that extra bit of skill of having to always keep an eye on the clock and knowing about when its going to respawn.
yeah im behind this 100%. also no grenade hit markers like in the classic halos.
Definitely, id vote for no hit markers period. You can visually see when you pop somebody's shields and call out a one shot.
The H3 fanbois need to shut up, they have the MCC they can play H3 all they want, we do not need another H3. The H5 fanbois, it was not a critical success. Sure it was a financial success but that could be contributed to other things that did not necessarily increased the overall enjoyment of the game. We don't know what we want but we got a good idea of what we won't like.
How about we don't need another Halo 5 ? The game has not graphically aged at all and will still be very playable for the next few years. Halo 3, on the other hand, has quite a bit. A classic driven-game seems totally fair at this point.

We don't want the exact same game that we bought 12 years ago. We want a reasonable evolution of the excellent formula it had - but not so drastic like Halo 5
The H3 fanbois need to shut up, they have the MCC they can play H3 all they want, we do not need another H3. The H5 fanbois, it was not a critical success. Sure it was a financial success but that could be contributed to other things that did not necessarily increased the overall enjoyment of the game. We don't know what we want but we got a good idea of what we won't like.
How about we don't need another Halo 5 ? The game has not graphically aged at all and will still be very playable for the next few years. Halo 3, on the other hand, has quite a bit. A classic driven-game seems totally fair at this point.
No duh, I mean what part of not a critical success did you not understand? Of course we do not need another Halo 5, nor do we need another Halo 4, 3, 2, Reach, or CE. Yeah I get it, people still play Halo 3 because it is still on the PC, People also still play the classic doom, but that doesn't make the new doom any worse. So yes you can improve on classic mechanics, you can also mess them up.
The H3 fanbois need to shut up, they have the MCC they can play H3 all they want, we do not need another H3. The H5 fanbois, it was not a critical success. Sure it was a financial success but that could be contributed to other things that did not necessarily increased the overall enjoyment of the game. We don't know what we want but we got a good idea of what we won't like.
How about we don't need another Halo 5 ? The game has not graphically aged at all and will still be very playable for the next few years. Halo 3, on the other hand, has quite a bit. A classic driven-game seems totally fair at this point.
No duh, I mean what part of not a critical success did you not understand? Of course we do not need another Halo 5, nor do we need another Halo 4, 3, 2, Reach, or CE. Yeah I get it, people still play Halo 3 because it is still on the PC, People also still play the classic doom, but that doesn't make the new doom any worse. So yes you can improve on classic mechanics, you can also mess them up.
Halo 3 has never been on PC ... at least not officially. It will be after MCC finally makes it to PC this year though.
And yeah Halo 4 and Halo 5 are great examples of messing up classic mechanics. And also, the new Doom was a success with critics?

Halo 3 was the literal peak of the franchise financially, critically, the community was nowhere near as split, the list goes on. We do need another success that can match what Halo 3 did.
I think you rushed your response and broke your own defending argument
Didn't mind the pace bt prefer if the maps were bigger for btb like how past halo games had for vehicles
Theee JD wrote:
Keep sprint, evade and clambering abilities. Remove shoulder bash and ground pound. Halo don't need any other abilities than the first 3 mentioned. Also hopefully they don't go the halo 4 route, making it like call of duty and adding classes and perks. This isn't cod.

Also id love to see the power weapons not on timers for all to see. Older halo games added that extra bit of skill of having to always keep an eye on the clock and knowing about when its going to respawn.
yeah im behind this 100%. also no grenade hit markers like in the classic halos.
In my opinion, I prefer granade marker like halo 4 and 2 anniversary
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2