Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

What's so wrong about the hexagon pillars?

OP RockPumpkin5931

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I don't care about infinite anyway but I'm curious as to why everyone hated the pillars. The only reason I can imagine is they look way too simple, they remind me about hang'em high, but then you see the remade map in Reach and OMG... So it would seem they forgot all the progress.
Nothing wrong with the design of them at all. People are putting way too much time and effort into critiquing every minuscule detail of this game
I thought they were cool. No problems from me. A lot of people feel that being critical makes them smart or something. Rotten Tomatoes/Yelp/Google has created a monster.
I'll make a case for the other side here :

Visually they aren't very stimulating, plus they tend to detract away from the vista that is the inviornment. The argument stands that they look a bit too much like unrefined geometry sitting in the middle of the map. It also dosen't help that we don't know their function (albeit the imagination can suspend the functionality.)

They just don't really look right as the first inviornment piece we see after 5 years. They may have an invested following, but they just don't satisfy compared to even 343's traditional Forerunner design (which personally I do not prefer.)
They're too monotonous. I think a great way to see the problem is to contrast the Halo Infinite demo with the final mission of Halo 3, and in particular the Warthog run section. In that Halo 3 mission, you have lots of different kinds of structures serving different roles. You have the rectangular grid of plates on which you drive the Warthog acting as the basis on which terrain is built. There are pylons connecting the upper layers to beams running horizontally, leaving room for underground structures and passageways which the rings are known to be full of. Below that, and in the distance, you can see even more massive foundations. You have these distinct structures at larger and larger scales that eventually make up the whole ring. There is variety, everything has a clear purpose, and it all tells a really convincing and compelling story of how a Halo ring is made, what it looks like on the inside, and what kind of considerations went into it.

In Halo Infinite, all you have are hexagons. There is no purpose, no story being told, just hexagons. No sign that any kind of engineering went into the structure, just hexagons. Underground spaces? No, just hexagons. It's too artificial even for being artificial. Simplicity can be nice, but taking simplicity too far leads to monotony. And when you have monotony, you have nothing interesting to tell because the monotony can be completely described in a single word: hexagons.
I like them... makes it look like an explosion ripped apart some of the ring. The only things is they look a little under detailed from afar. maybe some varying shades, explosion marks and pieces missing, possibly some plants beginning to grown down the sides.

I also think it's missing some other layers. There used to be tunnels inside the rings as shown in CE and 3, but these look solid all the way around. Maybe it needs some flat plates that serve as land foundations?
sniper945 wrote:
I'll make a case for the other side here :

Visually they aren't very stimulating, plus they tend to detract away from the vista that is the inviornment. The argument stands that they look a bit to much like unrefined geometry sitting in the middle of the map. It also dosen't help that we don't know their function (albeit the imagination can suspend the functionality.)They just don't really look right as the first inviornment peice we see after 5 years. They may have an invested following, but they just don't satisfy compared to even 343's traditional Forerunner design (which personally I do not prefer.)
My initial interpretation was that they were essentially elevated platforms for the terrain to lay upon. The ring isn't completely made up of dirt and rocks. The pillars raise the land to create hills and valleys. It may be that they are permanently like that or they could be positioned temporarily during terraforming procedures. We see them in this trailer, because this section of the Halo is being repaired. The blocks hold up what remains until the rest can be replaced.

I agree that they aren't quite the prettiest thing to put in our first real view of gameplay. It could have been better received as an off-hand comment during a mission.

EDIT: They may even be made of raw material similar to the artificial moon at the center of the Ark.
I am guessing they are meant to be like building blocks that would be much easier to stack and move etc. when terraforming the Halorings. I don't know much about the forerunners' ability to move large amounts of matter, but logistically It makes since to me.
Aestheticly speaking they look too clean like much of infinite's visuals. The pillars need more irregularity such as cracks, moss, and aging.
That being said, it's not a big deal in comparison with the other problems in the game.
Let's be honest. There probably isn't much lore associated with them, maybe a justification after-the-fact. Someone at 343 visited Scotland (or was watching Nat Geo) and got some inspiration from The Isle of Staffa. They thought "That looks cool, let's put that in the game!"
I like them Aesthetically.
They're hideous, featureless wastes of scenery? Even some of the larger blander structures in CE and Halo 2 had some engravings to give them some extra depth.

There is basically no good way to fix them. 343 took the question of "What lies beneath the thin façade of nature in a broken Halo ring?" and the answer they came up with was "I dunno, some flat silver hexagons I guess." Just riveting visual design.
I like them. They're kind of a way more sensible version of the flat squares during H3's final run.

Both are used to show the Halo's landscape "under construction", but the hexagons add volume underneath the surface.
  • I don't find anything appealing or interesting about them.They lack detail and without context look like something from Minecraft. Perhaps that's what the designers intended? Maybe catch the eye of the younger audience? I could be completely wrong, but that's kinda what I drew from the hexagons after looking them over for a while.
  • I understand the point about them being parts of the ring's structure, but this seems more like an art style choice than lore.( I wanna be clear that I'm nowhere near a lore expert at all.)
  • They are just too clean and flat colored to convince me they are part of a Halo ring. Visit the Halo 3 warthog run and them look at the hexagons. The hexagons are kinda boring. Like, you have this rugged and natural looking landscape and then BOOM, a bunch of gray hexagons...
  • These are my opinions. I'm not trying to be nitpicky. I don't mind them really at the end of the day, but I certainly don't like them.
A traditional open world doesn't work well with Halo's established level design, no matter how much someone can pull up about Halo originally being a third-person Far Cry in it's inception. They seem to provide verticallity in a matter that don't require the player to spend tedious amounts of hours skyimming their way up a mountain.
I don't care about infinite anyway but I'm curious as to why everyone hated the pillars. The only reason I can imagine is they look way too simple, they remind me about hang'em high, but then you see the remade map in Reach and OMG... So it would seem they forgot all the progress.
I know this might sound weird but the problem for me is it looks rushed and unfinished. I really hope they improve the designs since it just feels like the pillar don't fit well with the environment. As for Hang'em High it's an ok remake map but the remake in Reach had more detail and personally feel like that helped make the map seem more interesting than what it originally was.
The hexagons have no visual interest in my opinion. Even for structures of a Halo ring they look way too clean, with sharp cuts and repeated patterns every meter that it looks like the world is a miniature built in mega blocks, lego or whatever. I think 343 made an impressive job with redesigning forerrunner stuff, that I just can't believe they downgraded the visuals at this point. And that extends to the overall look of pretty much everything this demo showed. The elites look a lot like toys, the phantom is hilariously oversimplified that it looks like it was taken directly from a mega blocks toy. And I think 343 misunderstood the thing about the art style change. Things look way too simple and with no detail and design effort. They just can't go with a middle ground. They have to go on the extreme opposite of the ideas.
i like the level design and great use of elevation, they look like castles that you have to infiltrate. they did go crazy with it

however, gameplay > graphics.
Aesthetically they just need some weathering etc.

Narratively we just need some context. See them dynamically moving as the Halo is formed...
They're overused and are eye sores.
I think it's how flat the texture looks. You have all this nice natural scenery out of a Bob Ross painting and then you see these giant chunks of solid light grey pillars that just look so out of place and kinda ruins it. I think it's a cool concept because you're on a broken ring and seeing the foundation, the pillars themselves just need to look like they belong more and don't break up the rest of the beautiful scenery so much. Give them some texture. They literally look unfinished in the demo like when you sometimes see dev updates on games and there's geometry that hasn't been textured/colored in yet, that's what they look like to me.

TL;DR: cool concept, poor execution
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2