Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

What will you do when Infinite releases?

OP BloodHunterX020

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Assuming the multiplayer will be at least as good as H5's, I will probably be playing the -Yoink- out of it and once again fall in to my Halo addiction while forsaking my enormous sp game backlog that never shrinks.
If it's not classic gameplay I'll get it on gamepass, beat the campaign on heroic and never touch it again. If it is classic, get the legendary edition, take 2 weeks off work and have the absolute time of my life.
  • Buy it
  • Play campaign
  • Hop on MP
  • More MP
  • play favorite campaign levels
  • long break
  • MP
  • MP
  • Campaign
Seems like no one here gives a Yoink about the story. I wonder if anyone ever did, or is multiplayer now where it's at?

Then again, it seems to be these days.
Hopefully pick it up at midnight and then probably take the next day off work and grind multiplayer. Learning all the maps.
buy it lol
Kind of.. you know.

Buy it.
Buy it lol.
Seems like no one here gives a Yoink about the story. I wonder if anyone ever did, or is multiplayer now where it's at?

I value campaign and story over anything else in Halo. H5 was less than stellar of course, but I'm willing to put a little more faith in 343 that they can still pull off an amazing game in H6. H4 was one of the most in depth and complex campaigns in the series, so at least for me I have seen that 343 can make a very impactful gaming experience.

As far as MP, it seems to be a big focus for the gaming industry these days. This is only natural since MP generally keeps people interested in a game long after they have played the campaign over and over again. Also, despite a great deal of criticism, MP offers developers more revenue through req packs and expansions. At the end of the day, gaming is a business. I'd rather developers be more altruistic, but that's just not economically feasible.
I’m planning to get a couple of days off to play it. I’ll preorder digitally to play at midnight, but probably also pick up a physical copy for my shelf. Load up on snacks and drinks and do co-op with my wife or son before diving into the multiplayer.
First thing I always do when a new halo comes out is play the campaign. I don’t touch multiplayer until I finish it.
Buy it lol.

I value campaign and story over anything else in Halo. H5 was less than stellar of course, but I'm willing to put a little more faith in 343 that they can still pull off an amazing game in H6. H4 was one of the most in depth and complex campaigns in the series, so at least for me I have seen that 343 can make a very impactful gaming experience.

As far as MP, it seems to be a big focus for the gaming industry these days. This is only natural since MP generally keeps people interested in a game long after they have played the campaign over and over again. Also, despite a great deal of criticism, MP offers developers more revenue through req packs and expansions. At the end of the day, gaming is a business. I'd rather developers be more altruistic, but that's just not economically feasible.
I'm a Campaign only player, so I'll be buying it and playing the Campaign over and over again.

OP's thought that few care about the story probably comes from the previous posts here, which clearly seems to be more heavily multi-player oriented (mostly MP or only MP players). But the vast majority of the Halo Community worldwide only play the Campaign and are into it's Lore (books, comics, videos, etc), but aren't that well represented on this Forum.

In a survey on this forum, over 90% played the previous Halo Campaigns at least once, even if the rest of their time is on MP. Even in the "glory days" of Halo 3 when it's claimed there were up to a million online players, Halo 3 had sold 12M copies - so the other 11M must have only played the Campaign! That's 92% Campaign players only, and only 8% multiplayer (with or without playing the Campaign). This also explains why Halo books so often get on the NY Times Bestseller list - that's all those Campaign/Lore fans, whether they're in the smaller group who play the MP or not!

Meanwhile, Halo 3 had an extra 2M sales spike in that 12M sales, due to some extra temporary Halo players coming in mainly from COD - but Halo 3 was the game that also took Halo to a stable 10M long-term fans. Some natural shrinkage back to 9M was then offset by 1M Noobs coming in with Reach, 4 and 5, which each sold around 10M copies. So, Halo game sales have been stable at 10M/game for eight years. Halo Campaign interest might not be growing much, but it certainly isn't shrinking.

So, it really is just the Multiplayer Community that's tailed off over the years. Alas some then wrongly assume that "the whole of Halo is in decline", when it's just the MP that is - the MP is still pretty healthy and sustainable, it's just not as popular as it used to be, for whatever reasons. Whether 343i can find the "special sauce" that revives Halo MP interest with Halo Infinite, we can only wait and see!

Meanwhile, as the Campaigns and Lore of Halo has a huge following, it gives 343i income from many sources on top of the game sales (books, comics, merchandise). REQ Packs really don't generate that much income or profit for 343i, and as stated, it's spent on funding the HWC and it's prizemoney and some side-projects. This is the reason 343i don't need to go the way of other games Devs with "intrusive" microtransactions, but also demonstrates why Halo won't become an all MP-only game like COD:BO4.

These stats are always worth remembering when seeing so much about multiplayer on these forums, else it might give the wrong impression that OP picks up on. MP players are only "the tip of the iceberg" of the vast worldwide Halo Community, and at over 10M strong, only 9 States in America have a larger population, and we even outnumber the populations of some entire countries! So, if we were all Americans, we could form our own state, and if us Halo players then voted as a block, we could easily change the outcome of an American Election - so to win, candidates might have to start canvassing the Halo Community Vote with a pro-Halo Manifesto! Cool, huh? "Master Chief for President!" :-D
I’ll buy it after reviews or if they confirm the following beforehand:
  1. Has NO micro transactions
  2. Has classic gameplay
If these two things don’t happen then I will stick to the MCC. If they confirm both of these things before launch, I’ll preorder the Legendary edition.
Vlaiquela wrote:
Has NO micro transactions
Already confirmed to have microtransactions, just not payed lootboxes. It all boils down to if it's pay2win or not.
Vlaiquela wrote:
Already confirmed to have microtransactions, just not payed lootboxes. It all boils down to if it's pay2win or not.
It doesn’t matter if it’s pay to win or not, it’s filthy business practice and I won’t have any part of it. It’s sad that people accept this degradation of games. Remember when you could buy a game that gave you ALL the content for 60$? I don’t mind DLC but come on. But core gamers don’t have a voice because casuals are the majority and money talks. There was a time when we didn’t bother to wait for reviews, we preordered the game right away, but now every game is shady and controversial with its micro transactions. The only confirmation I heard of was the business position that was listed with micro transactions in mind. So it’s not completely confirmed unless I missed something.
I'm not gonna watch anything more than the teaser we've got. I wanna be surprised with content.
Vlaiquela wrote:
Vlaiquela wrote:
It doesn’t matter if it’s pay to win or not, it’s filthy business practice and I won’t have any part of it. It’s sad that people accept this degradation of games. Remember when you could buy a game that gave you ALL the content for 60$? I don’t mind DLC but come on. But core gamers don’t have a voice because casuals are the majority and money talks. There was a time when we didn’t bother to wait for reviews, we preordered the game right away, but now every game is shady and controversial with its micro transactions. The only confirmation I heard of was the business position that was listed with micro transactions in mind. So it’s not completely confirmed unless I missed something.
I agree with what you said. Still, I would rather have microtransactions in a good game than a bad game altogether. As long as they have a good campaign and multiplayer and don't pull P2W tactics and lootboxes I can atleast forgive and ignore them to some extent.
Vlaiquela wrote:
Vlaiquela wrote:
Relative to my post above, do you only play the Online Multiplayer and never the campaign? If so, I can understand you wanting to make sure you're going to be happy with it before buying the game - or if in doubt, maybe try it on Gamepass first?

As a Campaign-player only, I've got 2.5 years of fun, challenges and interest out of Halo 5 Campaign after buying it at full price, the same price of seeing only six movies (plus snacks) at the cinema in the same 2.5 year time period. Shows how Gaming can be great value for money... :-)

As for the bigger picture, look at it this way. The game funding model issue is partly due to the Recession, and alas, a Pre-Recession funding model from 2007 (like Halo 3) won't work in Post-Recession 2018. Aside from any attempted "money grabbing" tactics by some corporations, part of the reason for other Microtransactions is more Gamers are actually poorer than before the Recession, and so more people are waiting longer and buying AAA games at half-price - even as AAA games are becoming more expensive to make. For some studios who are struggling, lower income vs. higher costs means they have to make up the shortfall somehow, unless they get "blockbuster" sales figures. You can't put up the game base price either, because more people will just wait longer for a sale at "over half-price"! Further, due to Mobile Gaming influences, more people now expect their software (e.g. browsers, even OS) and games to be very cheap or even Free (!), and accept paying some MT's towards the cost of making it. That's curreny the reality of Post-Recession 2018 and it's effect of the Gaming Industry, and isn't likely to change soon...

For my part, out of the ~15 Xbox One games I own, I've only ever paid full-price for four (incl. H5, so be grateful you're "one of the lucky few" 343i, LOL!), the rest I've often bought at "2 for 1" prices. I've never paid for MT's either - though I have paid once for extra DLC Campaign content in one game. Not bad for nearly 40 years of console and PC gaming since the 1980's, huh? ;-)
I'll probably be at work.

What?

Oh you meant in game... Probably a weapon test in forge followed by heroic solo or legendary co-op followed by MM
Buy it lol.

I'm a Campaign only player, so I'll be buying it and playing the Campaign over and over again.

I'm in the campaign camp too, I do play multiplayer, however the Halo campaigns have always been the reason for buying the games, but after the Halo 5 campaign I'll be waiting, it was terrible imo. I'll wait for reviews and feedback from friends. I've pre ordered every Halo to date except Halo Wars 2, I'm not interested in it. Halo 5 changed that, I'll never pre order another Halo game, if Halo Infinite does not have a great campaign I might just drop Halo entirely.
Campaign.Heroic. Forge. Multiplayer. Hoping classic forge controls return. Also hoping the multiplayer isn't like 5. Imo.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4