Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

When bad graphics impact gameplay.

OP darknikolas

I have several problem with the graphics to be honest. Of course gameplay is king, but a game is a combination of factors. Gameplay, visuals, audio, storytelling. It all matters. We have talked a lot about the visuals and since 343 said that they put extra effort and resources to make this area look as good as possible I dont think that the visual quality will improve much from here to release. However, there are two problems from the visuals that impact gameplay that need to be fixed.

-First, even close to the player objects such as grass dissapear at the edge of the camera. This is not only a problem of looking nice, it's also a gameplay problem. Since people detect objects based on movement it's very distracting having objects appear and dissapear at close range since it gives the illusion of movement to objects that should be static. This is really bad since you then focus on this objects (even if involuntary) instead of on the enemies.

-Second, the recharging shield golden exagons. Also a gameplay problem steeming from a bad visual choise. It is fair to say that your shield recharge a lot during gameplay, so your camera will be obscured by golden exagons a good portion of the game, which of course affects gameplay since it reduces your FoV. If this was a mechanic to punish players for loosing their shield then it should punish them only for the conplete loss of shields. Not for small damage.

Even if the game doesn't look the way I expected I hope at least these two things are changes since they directly affect gameplay.
I have several problem with the graphics to be honest. Of course gameplay is king, but a game is a combination of factors. Gameplay, visuals, audio, storytelling. It all matters. We have talked a lot about the visuals and since 343 said that they put extra effort and resources to make this area look as good as possible I dont think that the visual quality will improve much from here to release. However, there are two problems from the visuals that impact gameplay that need to be fixed.

-First, even close to the player objects such as grass dissapear at the edge of the camera. This is not only a problem of looking nice, it's also a gameplay problem. Since people detect objects based on movement it's very distracting having objects appear and dissapear at close range since it gives the illusion of movement to objects that should be static. This is really bad since you then focus on this objects (even if involuntary) instead of on the enemies.

-Second, the recharging shield golden exagons. Also a gameplay problem steeming from a bad visual choise. It is fair to say that your shield recharge a lot during gameplay, so your camera will be obscured by golden exagons a good portion of the game, which of course affects gameplay since it reduces your FoV. If this was a mechanic to punish players for loosing their shield then it should punish them only for the conplete loss of shields. Not for small damage.

Even if the game doesn't look the way I expected I hope at least these two things are changes since they directly affect gameplay.
I agree with this and think that 343 will fix things popping in and out. I'm more worried about the yellow hexagons since that seems to be a stylistic choice and more impactful to gameplay since it obscures vision so much.
Really hoping they revisit this one. This will get old really quick, especially on legendary,

Did anyone else think the on screen recharging hexagons was odd given the change to Chief's helmet? In Halo 4 and 5 his helmet's visor has that hexagon motif on the exterior (see image link below). In Infinite, his new helmet's visor no longer has these (rightfully opting for a more classic look).

What gives? Did they move the hexagons to inside his helmet?!? haha

H5 visor: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vCVYE5b2b_A/maxresdefault.jpg
Infinite visor: https://content.halocdn.com/media/Default/community/InfiniteCoverArt/halo-infinite-2020_ascension_demo_campaign_02_4k-99b4ad5b75f34732a871ba3929923744.png
I don't think bad graphics impact gameplay, but when you're releasing a behemoth of a franchise as a launch title for a next generation of consoles that multiple people are claiming give so much more graphical horsepower, your previous teasers looked absolutely gorgeous, and what you display looks like a tweaked version of a game engine that has been gutted and reworked numerous times over literally almost two decades, it really hurts the point you're trying to make by toting things like "the most powerful console ever" when one of your biggest launch titles looks like an early last gen release. What's worse is the complacency from both fans and people in the industry that claim "things can/will get better". This game had almost five years to "get better" and honestly it looked better in the other trailers/teasers we got beforehand. So much for the in-engine demonstration we got a couple of years back. The demo we got yesterday looks like a massive downgrade.
The fact of the matter is that it's 2020 and that demo looks marginally better, if not identical, to what games looked like at the beginning of the generation.

Graphics don't matter until they do, but I, personally, would be lying if I said I don't play video games in order to enjoy a gorgeous or appealing visual presentation and I want to see games look better and achieve new heights.

There's nothing in this demo that I hadn't seen in other games, and in many cases, I've seen the same spirit of what this game is trying to achieve done with a more impressive visual presentation. It breaks, as much as I hate the word, the "immersion" of the game when things look bland, dull, featureless, with significant pop in and a substantial lack of shadows and lighting effects that make the game feel like a natural, holistic, and cohesive world.
Phaaze wrote:
This game had almost five years to "get better" and honestly it looked better in the other trailers/teasers we got beforehand. So much for the in-engine demonstration we got a couple of years back. The demo we got yesterday looks like a massive downgrade.
This is what gives me Anthem vibes, no way I'm touching this game until its been out for a week or two at least.