Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Where do you want Infinite to take the story?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

Where do you hope Infinite takes the story?
We know really nothing about the plot of Infinite aside from that opening cutscene we got back at E3. However, aside from that, there’s a lot of theorizing and speculation as to where the story could be headed? Where do you hope Infinite takes the plot and Universe forward for future games and other media? Let’s have fun 😃
Oh buddy... there are a few directions I would be interested to see the story going:
  1. The Didact returns and is revealed to be the "man behind the curtain" controlling Cortana. In fact, Cortana never survived H4. The Cortana we see in H5 and beyond is just a tool of the Didact's to reassert the power of the Forerunners over the galaxy
  2. The Gravemind returns and is revealed to be the "man behind the curtain" controlling Cortana. This is similar to the above option. Cortana died in H4, but the Gravemind is using her likeness to take control of the galaxy. With the Guardians under his control, he can divide and conquer the galaxy one system at a time
  3. A fragment of Cortana is recovered and used to fight Evil Cortana, who is just a rampant fragment that was spun off during the final fight in H4. I don't like this option very much, but felt it should be included
  4. Cortana is Evil and there's no justification for it. What we see is what we get, and Infinite will see the Chief overcoming his intense devotion to her to finally do what needs to be done and end Cortana. This one is relatively straight forward and not all that creatively interesting though.
Overall I really want the Flood to return, so I'm hoping the Gravemind is the one pulling Cortana's strings.
Chief does his best work when he is running around in someone else's war.

Didact and Gravemind forced to team up vs evil Cortana.

Both teams trying to manipulate MC to help them.

Curtain finally draws back to show it was Sgt Johnson all this time.
Oh buddy... there are a few directions I would be interested to see the story going:
  1. The Didact returns and is revealed to be the "man behind the curtain" controlling Cortana. In fact, Cortana never survived H4. The Cortana we see in H5 and beyond is just a tool of the Didact's to reassert the power of the Forerunners over the galaxy
  2. The Gravemind returns and is revealed to be the "man behind the curtain" controlling Cortana. This is similar to the above option. Cortana died in H4, but the Gravemind is using her likeness to take control of the galaxy. With the Guardians under his control, he can divide and conquer the galaxy one system at a time
  3. A fragment of Cortana is recovered and used to fight Evil Cortana, who is just a rampant fragment that was spun off during the final fight in H4. I don't like this option very much, but felt it should be included
  4. Cortana is Evil and there's no justification for it. What we see is what we get, and Infinite will see the Chief overcoming his intense devotion to her to finally do what needs to be done and end Cortana. This one is relatively straight forward and not all that creatively interesting though.
Overall I really want the Flood to return, so I'm hoping the Gravemind is the one pulling Cortana's strings.
Interesting you bring up it being either the Didact or Gravemind. In Tales from Slipspace, we get the short story titled Dominion Splinter, which details what happened to Cortana right after the events of Halo 4. Unfortunately it’s revealed that what we saw is indeed Cortana, not somebody else using the hologram and voice of Cortana. So I think they’re gonna go with the good copy fragment to stop her idea. Not a fan of it either.
Interesting you bring up it being either the Didact or Gravemind. In Tales from Slipspace, we get the short story titled Dominion Splinter, which details what happened to Cortana right after the events of Halo 4. Unfortunately it’s revealed that what we saw is indeed Cortana, not somebody else using the hologram and voice of Cortana. So I think they’re gonna go with the good copy fragment to stop her idea. Not a fan of it either.
Yeah I didn't much care for that short story.. it was little more than a justification for her appearance in H5.. But I think the Gravemind angle could still work with that story. Like the Gravemind knew he'd need to trick the Warden Eternal before taking full control, so he played along and acted like he was the real Cortana entering the Domain. Otherwise the Warden Eternal would have caught on and done something to stop the Gravemind from entering.
Yeah I didn't much care for that short story.. it was little more than a justification for her appearance in H5.. But I think the Gravemind angle could still work with that story. Like the Gravemind knew he'd need to trick the Warden Eternal before taking full control, so he played along and acted like he was the real Cortana entering the Domain. Otherwise the Warden Eternal would have caught on and done something to stop the Gravemind from entering.
While that'd be cool. However, the Gravemind wouldn't need a fake visage/identity to trick Warden as to access the Domain, as the Gravemind is actually the Primordial.
I'm not so much worried about it's direction, as much as I am about it's execution. Halo Infinite needs to cover a lot of flags, more than one might think at a first glance, let me explain.

Firstly, a lot, and I mean a LOT of players will be returning players. from the massive player drop from Reach to 4, to MCC, to 5, and so on, a lot of old fans took a look at the E3 trailer and are going to be jumping back in (hopefully). And with that, Halo Infinite can't rely on predetermined lore like 5 did. Halo Infinite's story need to be easily understood by anyone who plays. Even I had a hard time following Halo 5's story at times. If Halo Infinite can tackle this, I won't have any doubt in my mind that they will be able to deliver in other places of the campaign.

Secondly, Halo Infinite need to have a worthwhile campaign. If Infinite launches with a story that doesn't have high stakes, it wont be a story worth playing. Every halo game that I think of always has high stakes in every moment of the play through. If Halo Infinite drops and the highest point is Master Chief reuniting with his high school crush (Cortana) the story will end off with a feeling I get from other video game campaigns, a feeling of "was that it?" I really don't want this feeling to come up upon the completion of Infinite. However, 343i and Halo in general has yet to fail me on that end, so no worry here at the moment.

Thirdly, exploration, exploration, exploration. This point doesn't need to be hammered home as hard as the other points I've listed, but I feel as though it still need brought up. Having open levels to explore comes with many advantages; It allows the devs to put in more secrets, and it let's the world feel alive in a way that the usual linear level can't.
Profesnol wrote:
Firstly, a lot, and I mean a LOT of players will be returning players. from the massive player drop from Reach to 4, to MCC, to 5, and so on, a lot of old fans took a look at the E3 trailer and are going to be jumping back in (hopefully). And with that, Halo Infinite can't rely on predetermined lore like 5 did. Halo Infinite's story need to be easily understood by anyone who plays. Even I had a hard time following Halo 5's story at times. If Halo Infinite can tackle this, I won't have any doubt in my mind that they will be able to deliver in other places of the campaign.
They did emphasize that this game will be a good place for newcomers to start in their E3 2019 blog post so I think we're good on that front.

Being a "spiritual reboot" I see something akin to Halo CE happening here. Start off in the middle of a war, game takes place on a Halo ring, etc. Those who've played the series since the beginning will know what led to that point but newcomers will basically go through what we did with CE, with all the previous games being like Reach was to CE.

This leading to the point that I don't think we'll see anything crazy in this campaign. Just a cash in on CE's nostalgia to restore good will with the community (not to say that it will literally be CE plot wise, just that the game will be very limited story wise, just like CE was when compared to 2). As much as I'd love to see Tom and Lucy, the Spirit of Fire crew, Grey team, Blue Team, Osiris, Jun, the crew of the Infinity, and everyone else I'm missing team up Avengers style, I really don't think we'll see any of those characters until later games (if at all).

Edit to add where I hope the campaign will go since that is OP's question after all. Basically two things. First, everybody from the extended lore makes an appearance, particularly the Spirit of Fire Crew, Chakas, the Librarian, and other stuff from the Forerunner trilogy given that's my favorite area of the lore (Maethrillian appearance anyone? It is home of the Domain after all...) However, I realize this is not newcomer friendly at all and won't happen. Second, NO FLOOD. Seriously. I don't know why everyone wants the Flood back so much. I'd be fine with a very limited role like in Halo Wars 2 however if they become a galactic threat again then it renders the ending of Halo 3 pointless similar to how the Star Wars sequels and Terminator: Dark Fate rendered their classic predecessors pointless. I think were the Flood to return in a major way it would actually anger fans for the same reasons fans are (rightfully) upset with the two franchises I mentioned above.
I saw a few posts using a good Cortana to stop evil Cortana and god does that seem lame

I would like the story to go in a different direction. We know the chip chief had was a weapon containment device. I want chief to find Cortana and put her in the chip and destroy her. Or take her back to Halsey for possible repairs. Or keep Cortana trapped in the chip for study because she could have an infinite lifespan now like forerunner ancilla and they could use her for research especially with her being able to project herself in a human solid figure and the unsc could gain a lot and learn how the forerunners made such long lasting ancilla
All of these have so many theories that could support their probability and lore reasoning. Most of the community is speculating why Cortana is the way she is and 2-3 of your reasons give a reason with as I said PLENTY of reasonable explanation for that. I did a youtube video concerning the possibility of Halo Infinite's story similar to your idea with #3.
I am predicting this.

The fragmented Cortana witnessed in Halo 5: Guardians is CTN 0452-9 by all measurable evaluations; they're the fragment of the greater form, one that has suffered the limitations of an AI's lifespan, rampancy. The rampancy is essentially physcological brain damage and this is why I believe the "puppet master" behind the curtain is actually the Flood Gravemind (The Primordial) who had set this plan in motion during 2552, where he implanted the seeds of the logic plague and those seeds lay dormant till she connected to the domain. With the power of the Ecumene in thrall and the greatest weapon the Flood has ever known contained, the Halo Array, the Flood can truly go on the offensive and test Humanity.

The fight will be to avoid the Guardians and repair CTN 0452-9, using the new model CTN 0453-0, which when contained will use her to get insight on the Floods true intentions for Humanity; much like with Offensive Bias and Mendicant Bias. The horrors and discoveries along the way may shock the player and lead them to make their own conclusions (Palace of Pain anyone???)... who knows?
I want Infinite to start the way Avengers Infinity War started. Dark. Deaths. Seemingly a losing battle. I know the opening cut scene is what we saw at E3, but a prelude like this would be great. I want this game to feel like all hope is lost, with a huge cliffhanger at the end that will lead to the next game with a feeling of hopelessness
MEDICVS wrote:
I want Infinite to start the way Avengers Infinity War started. Dark. Deaths. Seemingly a losing battle. I know the opening cut scene is what we saw at E3, but a prelude like this would be great. I want this game to feel like all hope is lost, with a huge cliffhanger at the end that will lead to the next game with a feeling of hopelessness
I wouldnt mind seeing a prelude that includes the battle myself, but I'd bet that we wont see that. 343 has said that a large part of the storytelling in this game will be told through witnessing the aftermath of events, rather than witnessing the actual event take place. I believe the example they gave was having the player show up to an area to find a fire's embers and some trash left behind, rather than having them show up to the live fire with someone sitting around it.

I think the opening cutscene is an example of that kind of storytelling. That is to say, witnessing the aftermath and effects of the battle, rather than the battle itself.
I just want the story to be good and make sense. I want it to continue the halo story and tie up all loose ends before moving on to a different story/plot.
Humans need to get hold of some important Forerunner technology to reach some higher tier of evolution,so the Halo Universe becomes more interesting in the future.