Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] who else is not bothered by micro-transactions?

OP DynamiteIce207

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
MT bothers me because they are just excuses to get more money to people, but DLCs are additional content that contributes to the development of the game, be it extra missions, extra characters, etc. but obviously the DLCs must also justify their price, I will not pay a DLC that only brings skins and does not contribute anything to the development of the game, although there are people who buy everything without thinking
if the people who do buy micro transactions are perfectly fine with it, then what difference does it make to the people who don't wanna pay?
The people who do not want to pay, I'd imagine, aren't happy with the direction the game featuring these MTs have taken, and the lengths developers/publishers will go to incentivise as many purchases of MTs as possible, which the non-payers see as negatively impacting their experience, regardless of what free stuff the developers dangle infront of the players.
I'm ok with microtransactions as long it's for only cosmetic items.I hate req packs because of the randomness and the fact that there are just pointless reskins of armor and warthogs

Also free DLC is kind of a ploy imo.Halo 5 is a big sinner when it comes to this.Free dlc with an incomplete game at launch and they had forgers make most of the maps instead of dev making them.Happy to charge for req packs but dont have btb or forge at launch and dont make a big portion of the maps.
yet throw a fit about OPTIONAL in game purchases that don't even affect gameplay

So I have to ask, if you hate mtx, why?
In Halo 5 the reqs and the way they're connected to the progression system do affect gameplay. The rng nature of them make the game a tedious grind and they're connected to micro transactions to encourage players to buy them. Do you have to buy ? No. However that does not make them ok imo. I stopped playing Halo 5 because of the invasive nature of the system. It's rammed down your throat everytime you boot the game up.

I have no issue with additional buy what you see cosmetics. I will not support any game that uses micro transactions to unlock, or buy the chance to unlock base game content. It's nothing more than an egregious cash grab, and the fact 343i added weapons to it adds insult to injury. I don't know any gamer that does not expect to have to pay for additional DLC, but in Halo 5's case it could have been handled better.

A lot of what we got as so called free DLC were things other games had at launch. We had no BTB because they tried to strong arm us into Warzone and the invasive gambling req system, FireFight was another thing missing despite it being in ODST and Reach, and 343i used forge for many of the maps which is not good imo. Overall, I think micro transactions have a place and purpose, but current systems are just greed based from what I've seen.
Lets not pretend one of the most populated multiplayer games of its hayday ever had its community broken. There was always games in every playlist. Every did agree they were overpriced too.
I have never had an issue with micro transactions. The company needs to keep funding future projects, so as long as the stuff we're getting isn't keeping me from playing with my friends who do/don't have (x) item while I do/don't, then I honestly don't care.

Halo Wars 2 did this pretty nicely I think and even Halo 5 did it pretty well (though I'm sure I'll get ONE person who replies with this telling me I'm wrong). Halo Wars 2 added payable DLC, which, yes, you can't play with someone who doesn't have it but ONLY on the DLC. You can play with them everywhere else. The DLC was pretty cheap though and added some nice content extending the story to what else was going on under the Spirit of Fire's watch after the game ended. And they added buyable heroes, but that didn't stop you from playing with people that chose those heroes.

Halo 5 did it well because the only mtx's you could purchase were Req packs. The only need you'd ever have for them is to have a burst in fire power for a short while. You can honestly earn them in batches each day just playing for a few hours. So they're not even required for you to dig your credit card out. (I also came along AFTER the Halo 3 DLC bundles became free for everyone in 2008, so I don't know about that. Yes, I was a PS player before 2007, so I can't really speak about older Halo's histories dealing with mtx's).
I care to an extent. If it's cosmetic only and the unlocking system isn't so brutal that you almost feel it's hopeless unless you flat out buy it, I can tolerate them. I personally would rather have free DLC with MTX than paid DLC packs with no MTX.
MTs don't bother me as long as they are not random and I know what I'm buying. It's a bonus if I can still unlock things in game as well.
Yeah, I agree with this. Titanfall 2 is a good example.
MTs don't bother me as long as they are not random and I know what I'm buying. It's a bonus if I can still unlock things in game as well.
Yeah, I agree with this. Titanfall 2 is a good example.
Titanfall 2 I think is the gold standard for DLC and MT format. Free maps, no random paid unlocks - you get what you see and there is no uncertainty as to what you are buying. Warframe is another example - now I don't agree with their pricing model but since the game is free and anything paid isn't necessarily game breaking or necessary to succeed in the game, I can't complain to much. Warframe though is the same as there is nothing random about your purchases and you get what you are buying.
ive never liked micro transactions. and theyre always getting worse
I’m bothered, Microtransactions are getting worse every year and it needs to stop
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I'm thinkin' back to when Yong Yea made two 10+ min long videos about some 343 job listing that said one phrase "microtransactions" and monetized those vids and probably made a few hundred bucks in the process (ironic) Then everyone got all up in arms about it like it was the end of the world.

Honestly, I've never cared at all about micro-transactions being in the game unless it was map packs which separated communities and stuff. Kinda like *cough cough* Halo 3 had, but nobody seemed to care about that back then.

I could go on and on about the hypocrisy of the gaming communities who were fine with paying $30 or more on map packs yet throw a fit about OPTIONAL in game purchases that don't even affect gameplay in modern day titles that essentially yielded free DLC for everyone.

So I have to ask, if you hate mtx, why? Were you there for the days of map packs and their ever dampening affect on gaming communities? Does it bother you that someone, somewhere else is spending their own money on things they want and eventually you will get free DLC because of it?
because you can buy mythic certifications, and too much content like armor and emblems were hidden behind a gambling system. Not to mention the "free DLC" they gave us as a benefit of implementing MTX was all content was was there are launch with almost every other halo game
are you able to get the DLC without paying for a single req pack? yes.
were you ever able to get map packs in the past without paying money? no.

Everyone who rages about mtx makes the argument that players should not pay more money for more content, yet they support the map pack model that literally forces you to pay money for the content? lmao

I think it's clear which is the better model. Also, it's really not even gambling since you only get stuff that you could also get otherwise with in game currency. Count in all the booster cards and a person would have to either be lazy or just have a lot of extra money to actually buy req packs.

If you go to a slot machine, there is only one currency accepted, and the "gamble" comes from the chance of you getting more money in return. Req packs or loot boxes are not anywhere near that concept, especially since you can just grind in the game if you really want the pack that badly. The system isn't perfect, but it is a lot better than dividing communities with map packs and stuff like that.
um no I'm sorry but paid dlc is quite literally paying for new maps, whereas the new "DLC" was baseline content that should've been there from the beginning that they tacked on later. The community was never severely damaged by maps packs being introduced. Neither are the best possible models but the way micro transactions are implemented have absolutely no place in halo whatsoever.
that sounds like a subjective opinion. You could argue that Halo 3, COD MW, and Lucas Arts BF2 should have had all that content in the beginning of their launch's also. Nobody has the right to dictate what should and shouldn't be in the game at launch. If it wasn't for microtransactions in Halo 5, this entire Halo Infinite forum probably wouldn't even exist.
Forge, infection, BTB, Grifball just to name a few. All staples since Halo 3. Not included in halo 5's launch. You're telling me that that is subjective??
what you're talking about has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I'm saying that micro transactions are no big deal, especially in comparison to overpriced map packs of the past.

what does Halo 5's launch state have anything to do with it? Also, you can just create grifball and infection in custom games if you want to play it so badly. I mean, that's how those modes were created in the first place.

Also, what you consider a "staple" in Halo is only your opinion. I believe that a staple in Halo is the old style of movement and weapon balance, but do you see me making claims of the game being incomplete just because I think it is ? No.
Man I agree with you about classic movement and weapon balance. I just think its better to have paid DLC because you can still play the game without buying it, while the way MTX implemented things you had to download the update to play the game. Microtransactions and giving us back old content felt cheap in comparison to past halo games.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
Spoiler:
Show
People keep saying microtransactions are getting worse by the year with other games but that has nothing to do with what 343i intends to do.

They already figured out that free DLC is the way to keep the playerbase together and that the MTX can't affect the outcome of games. There is no reason to believe they would backtrack on either of these principles.

Also, the market determines the value of a MTX. If nobody buys it because it is lame then they need to rethink their designs or lower the price. If it is selling according to their estimates then it doesn't matter that you think the people who are buying it are clueless idiots; the consumer weighs the actual cost against their personal value of the MTX and makes their decision.

I called out YongYea for his hypocrisy over a year ago; all of his videos mention Patreon and give a list (in order of amount given) of those who hand over their cash. Talk about invasive...
Naqser wrote:
The people who do not want to pay, I'd imagine, aren't happy with the direction the game featuring these MTs have taken, and the lengths developers/publishers will go to incentivise as many purchases of MTs as possible, which the non-payers see as negatively impacting their experience, regardless of what free stuff the developers dangle infront of the players.
so the people who do not want to pay for an optional way of getting things in game are making outrageous remarks and hateful statements about developers expect to be catered to?
You know, to me that question makes me believe you think everyone who's against microtransaction is a hateful person who'll use whatever foul vocabulary they can in order to spread bile and toxic waste comments. Which is a very broad generalisation.

If you actually want an answer, then I'd assume they do expect to get catered to, but that goes for any group which resort to the behaviour you're describing.

As for the question itself, I don't see the relevancy of it in relation to what I wrote.

here's the thing, if they're making money on mtx and the data shows that people actually like them based off sales numbers, it doesn't matter at all that people who aren't buying them are making a big stink about them.
Of course they are going to continue with them.
We've seen that since Oblivion's horse armor, 2006.
However, considering that they are continuing with them, and trying to get as much money as possible, they always seek new methods which directly impacts on you as a player in order to incentivice you to buy stuff for real money.
Here's John talking about reloading.
Here's a game with a long grind for the true ending, which can be skipped with real money.
Activision's MatchMaking patent.

It's fine if you like them, but as with many things here in life, what you like, may not always be good for you.
I'm just hoping that this isn't going to be a reality in the gaming world.
While things do look great considering the loot boxes, I don't have my hopes up that much.

Lets say I own a taco stand and you and some people who say my tacos suck so bad that nobody should buy them. You and a bunch of other people protest on the other side of the street and start shouting at everyone who passes buy not to buy my tacos. However, I continue to make a profit on my tacos regardless of how loud you and the other's protest about them and I'm making a steady income on my tacos.

do you actually think I'm going to stop selling my tacos just because you and a few others are protesting about them, especially since you and the people are not even buying my tacos? No. I'm gonna keep selling them because they continue to make me money.
Inevitable unrelated food analogy which isn't actually applicable on the situation.
But let's test it out.
What exactly is the "game" in this scenario?
I understand the Taco's are meant to symbolise the MTs, but what exactly symbolise the game?
What outside of the food at a food stand is there to experience, which a Taco would "contribute" to, in the same way an MTx "contribute" to the game?

It's the same exact thing with video games. People can make youtube videos, long rant posts, and all this other hubba about how much they hate mtx, but there are still millions of people who buy them, so devs could care less what the vocal minority is saying about them because they continue to make money on them. That's just reality
So? You really don't think I know this?
That's supposed to make me like microtransactions, or stop what I'm doing?
It's good to know developers (who I actually do suspect aren't really that fond of microtransactions, unlike the publishers ) could care less.
The best thing is to give the full game at lunch, no Microtransictions please. Personalize your spartan must be a fun part of the game not only for who can pay. I have already spent the full price of the game, let me play as i like to!
The Halo 3 DLCs were really new content for the times they went... the Halo 5 DLCs are simple forged maps, you can do for your own!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
1.) The MTX in Halo 5 are invasive. They directly affect Warzone gameplay making it a pay to win game type.

2.) A huge amount of resources were allocated to Warzone and the MTX system. They had people designing 50 of the same armor sets, vehicle and weapon variants instead of working on playlists and creating quality dev made maps for launch (looking at you BTB).

3.) No armor unlocks based on achievements.

Just because you don't pay money for MTX doesnt mean it doesnt affect you. It affects all of us. We didn't get quality armor sets because they preferred quantity. We got a bare bones launch with a terrible campaign. It's obvious what they sunk their time into and was to the detriment of the rest of the game.
If you're going to charge me $60 for a game, and then turn around and claim you need more money from microtransactions to operate, then there's something wrong with your business model. And that's also not my problem. I'll buy DLC expansions, but they have to have some substance and be fairly priced.

Free-to-play with MTX, or full price with no MTX. Pick one, and only one.
People keep saying microtransactions are getting worse by the year with other games but that has nothing to do with what 343i intends to do.

They already figured out that free DLC is the way to keep the playerbase together and that the MTX can't affect the outcome of games. There is no reason to believe they would backtrack on either of these principles.

Also, the market determines the value of a MTX. If nobody buys it because it is lame then they need to rethink their designs or lower the price. If it is selling according to their estimates then it doesn't matter that you think the people who are buying it are clueless idiots; the consumer weighs the actual cost against their personal value of the MTX and makes their decision.

I called out YongYea for his hypocrisy over a year ago; all of his videos mention Patreon and give a list (in order of amount given) of those who hand over their cash. Talk about invasive...
The free dlc they gave us are forged maps you can do by yourself... that is fooling people who pays for microtransactions!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4