Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Why are the brutes bald?

OP HaloMaster E

Basically this is my biggest concern with the demo, I want the brutes to look like Tarter sauce from halo 2 or Atriox with that awesome man beard. I don't want them to look like Rufus the naked mole rat from Kim Possible.
They were bald in Halo Reach, and bald in Halo 3, outside of a goatee, and sometimes a mohawk.

But, I do think they should give them beards at the very least, or some hair as well. Maybe have a few different models for facial hair and what not.
Seconded. Halo 2A wookies are a bit much, but plz give the brutes some hair so they're not all like Craig. I've never liked the hairless aesthetic in Reach or HW2 (Except for Atriox) and I don't like it now. Feels like so far brutes are only allowed facial hair if they're a big bad named villain and that feels really silly. How are you supposed to have a big dumb aggressive ape if you know they wake up every morning at 7am to go shave before work.
Because of practicality.
Because Halo 2 brutes were possibly of a different phenotype, sub species of Jiralhanae. They seemed more savage, didnt give a flying fang if they went all fur with some armored bits and pieces alongside a bandolier.
Halo 3 Brutes, I guess were another phenotype, more likely a jiralhanae subspecies. Think humans and neandethal differences here.
Halo Reach brutes might be the same as Halo Wars 2 and Infinites, still they hadd awesome tattos on their faces, especially on even lower ranking brutes.
HW 2 and Infinite, try to get across that only high ranking brutes, like chieftains are "allowed" to have facial hair and tattos as part of a ranking system.
Kinda makes sense.

The same thing can be explained regarding the differences between the other races species etc. Grunts, elites, jackals. I see all the different looks as canon/ lore but have reasons behind them why only those types of species appear here and there in game. Would be awesome to see for example HW2/ Infinite brutes command the more savage H2A/ 3 brutes or say the more aquatic, less armored sangheili elites come to terms with the classic looking elites from H2A, 3, HW2. The much more agile and seemingly intelligent, but eye color lacking elites from Reach could either be simply explained due to overall change in art style OR a rarer breed of Sangheili.
Brutes should have hair. I mean, they're literally giant death monkeys. No hair seems weird...
I liked the Halo 3 representation of Brutes the best. They need snouts to look more like a unique creature than just another simian. They look too similar to humans in that regard.

I find it weird how every Halo game makes the Brutes look completely different, at least in the face. 2's were just wookiees, 3's were rhino-bears, Reach's were straight up gorillas.
Brutes should have hair. I mean, they're literally giant death monkeys. No hair seems weird...
The banished are smart. They are shaven so their hair doesn't catches fire when being hit by plasma :p
The banished are smart. They are shaven so their hair doesn't catches fire when being hit by plasma :p
If the banished were really smart, they would make their armor fire-proof
Because of practicality.
Because Halo 2 brutes were possibly of a different phenotype, sub species of Jiralhanae. They seemed more savage, didnt give a flying fang if they went all fur with some armored bits and pieces alongside a bandolier.
Halo 3 Brutes, I guess were another phenotype, more likely a jiralhanae subspecies. Think humans and neandethal differences here.
Halo Reach brutes might be the same as Halo Wars 2 and Infinites, still they hadd awesome tattos on their faces, especially on even lower ranking brutes.
HW 2 and Infinite, try to get across that only high ranking brutes, like chieftains are "allowed" to have facial hair and tattos as part of a ranking system.
Kinda makes sense.

The same thing can be explained regarding the differences between the other races species etc. Grunts, elites, jackals. I see all the different looks as canon/ lore but have reasons behind them why only those types of species appear here and there in game. Would be awesome to see for example HW2/ Infinite brutes command the more savage H2A/ 3 brutes or say the more aquatic, less armored sangheili elites come to terms with the classic looking elites from H2A, 3, HW2. The much more agile and seemingly intelligent, but eye color lacking elites from Reach could either be simply explained due to overall change in art style OR a rarer breed of Sangheili.
Suuuree but we all know that and the point of the post isn't "Why do enemies look different every game?", that's been answered 1000 times before. Plus the whole phenotype thing is a meaningless piece of lore purely fabricated to explain away art style changes just like the nanobots thing from Chief's armor in Halo 4. It's not something art style choices are based on, it exists specifically to allow the developers to ignore previous stylistic choices and have the freedom to make their character models to look however they want them to. The only time that lore has been genuinely relevant is in the differences between Reach's Jackals & Skirmishers.
I think some hair should be added. I think variations would be cool. Anywhere from completely bald to a full beard, maybe some tattoos like the brutes from reach, perhaps even the occasional scar or missing eye. Just minor stuff to make the game feel more real
Basically this is my biggest concern with the demo, I want the brutes to look like Tarter sauce from halo 2 or Atriox with that awesome man beard. I don't want them to look like Rufus the naked mole rat from Kim Possible.
wuUt? how DARE you not like Craig! https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IcXPrun6ytU/maxresdefault.jpg XD
If you look at them the right way their facial hair pops in.
I always imagined that the Banished just shaved their hair, just like the other Brutes. It's not uncommon for military personnel to shave bald, more hair means heat and potentially something the enemy could grab.
That's what I'm saying!!!
Craig needs his fur! He looks cold. Gregory too.
Completely agree. Having some brutes with mohawks and beards while others are bald keeps them from looking like clones.
Bonus points if they get visible tusks as well. Just watched the Halo Canon video on it and he pointed out that both were kinda a big part of the Halo 2/3 brutes that is annoyingly missing these days. Don't have to be quite as horrifyingly toothy as Halo 3 but at the very least let them shout at you and open their mouth up to see those gnashers every so often.
They seem to have tried to make them look like Orcs, especially the main guy from the demo.

Brutes having some fur is what set them apart visually. They're best when they're hairy.
Because of practicality.
Kinda makes sense.

Please can we stop with the lore excuses for poor game design. It is getting really tiring at this point.

I still remember when 343 gave the "nanobots" excuse for completely changing Chief's armour in Halo 4.
They were bald in Halo Reach, and bald in Halo 3, outside of a goatee, and sometimes a mohawk.

But, I do think they should give them beards at the very least, or some hair as well. Maybe have a few different models for facial hair and what not.
Here’s what I was hoping as well. Was never really a fan of the Reach brute models. They look like shrek. I would like to see different kinds of brutes in Infinite. I think I seen different grunt models during the gameplay so here’s to hoping the same applies to the brutes. I miss the furry bullet sponges tbh.