Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] why do people want a Battleroyal mode in infinite?

OP HomebredAbyss27

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I'm not sure that a battle royal mode in halo infinite could help the game.
it seems like a cool idea but it does have a fair few issues and takes a lot of space
People want it in Infinite because it's a growing trend in the FPS genre. Games like COD, Apex, and Fortnite have seen a lot of success capitalizing on that particular market. I'm not a fan of it being in Halo because I see it as Halo just chasing another trend rather than setting the trend. I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to stuff like this though, so don't take my opinion as gospel.
here is a video that descibes a couple of issues
https://www.yotube.com/watch?v=dzf4FjMTy3l
why there should not be a battle royal mode in halo infinite - YouTube
I have absolutely no clue. A battle royale mode would be a stupid, cheap cashgrab that'd be there exclusively because it's a current fad. Like seriously what is this community thinking, ENCOURAGING 343i to chase trends? What the hell guys?
I rather have big scale BTB game or an improve version of warzone with bigger map more player yeah with a variety of map I don't see my self play on the same map for years and the only map damn that's just ridiculous for me
I think the idea of Halo BR can certainly be fun, engaging, and different in the BR space. People clearly like playing this game type these days and if 343 can create their version of BR that contributes positively to the genre and also enhances the overall experience for Halo players (and brings in a new generation), that would be a good thing IMO.
It's really quite simple, because a lot of people find them fun.
Because of how popular they are and people (including me) think Halo could fit a BR very well. I think if they did make a BR it should be separate from the main series.
Battle royale modes are fun, but get boring after a while because you drop in, fight people, die or win, and do it again. There's no skill in Battle Royale, as it mainly just depends on RNG and where the other people are. It completely takes away the small team basis of Halo, so it just wouldn't fit. However, they have leaked some stuff about them making a Big Team Battle 2.0, which I've heard should accommodate up to 40 players.
The question of whether Halo should or should not have a BR is not really a big issue to me. The bigger issue to me is how much resources would it take for 343 to build, run, and maintain BR, and would it take away from the other aspect of Halo that makes Halo, Halo? Personally, I think 343 should step back and encourage the community to make it in Forge. Let the community work it out and figure it out, use the huge maps that hopefully will come out as test runs, let the community playtest it for free over probably thousands of combined hours knowing Halo fans. Infection, Grifball, how many other modes were made in Forge by the community? BR should be no different, with minimal input by 343 until the very end when the actual logistics are worked out by the community and then expanded to a larger gamemode by 343.

The community making a BR mode in Forge would be the ULTIMATE Halo move. It's the only way it will be successful.
The question of whether Halo should or should not have a BR is not really a big issue to me. The bigger issue to me is how much resources would it take for 343 to build, run, and maintain BR, and would it take away from the other aspect of Halo that makes Halo, Halo? Personally, I think 343 should step back and encourage the community to make it in Forge. Let the community work it out and figure it out, use the huge maps that hopefully will come out as test runs, let the community playtest it for free over probably thousands of combined hours knowing Halo fans. Infection, Grifball, how many other modes were made in Forge by the community? BR should be no different, with minimal input by 343 until the very end when the actual logistics are worked out by the community and then expanded to a larger gamemode by 343.

The community making a BR mode in Forge would be the ULTIMATE Halo move. It's the only way it will be successful.
I agree, it would be great.
I liked it when games are good but also give their community the possibility to create things or get involve in the way Forge let Halo players get involve in making Halo a better experience and game.
I really want to see the forge mode of this game and hope it will be a lot better than Halo 5 Forge. (maybe at E3, who knows)
I will simp for a br in halo till the day I die. Having an odst style drop in every match would be -Yoinking!- awesome, Droppoding onto a section of the ring and fighting to the death for a W in the halo based universe sounds so -Yoinking!- satisfying
They should bring 30 vs 30 Castle Wars from Halo 5.
Porbably that will be more funnier and chaotic than Battle Royale.
People will call BR a fad, but honestly most of the gametypes in Halo were taken from other games that did them first. Video games generally are very iterative where you take what works , and then apply it with your own improvements to make it different/better. (which is pretty much exactly what has happened in the BR space.)

I do understand that there is a concern that a BR would take away from other parts of the game, but the honest truth is that a standalone BR would also pay for itself almost immediately if done well.

If they pushed a Halo BR that was just a reskinned PUBG/Apex with Halo cosmetics, yeah, that would be bad. If they pushed a Halo style version of a BR with its own twist, then it wouldn't been copying. The truth is, most of the reasons for or against it are irrelevant because we have no idea what it would look like if they did it.
I think a lot of people forget this game has a 10 year cycle planned. Yeah it might see good numbers at launch but the hype around BRs is already dwindling to just another game type so do we really expect a new Halo one to hold attention for a decade? I know I don’t. This is the whole thing behind setting trends and chasing them. If you chase trends there’s always the chance you miss the hype train for it and completely waster your time. Granted, with setting the trend you’re running the risk of it being a total flop from the get go. Personally I’d rather they roll the dice and try to make a new mode that grabs attention the way BRs did when they first started popping up.
Mongerty wrote:
People will call BR a fad, but honestly most of the gametypes in Halo were taken from other games that did them first. Video games generally are very iterative where you take what works , and then apply it with your own improvements to make it different/better. (which is pretty much exactly what has happened in the BR space.)

I do understand that there is a concern that a BR would take away from other parts of the game, but the honest truth is that a standalone BR would also pay for itself almost immediately if done well.

If they pushed a Halo BR that was just a reskinned PUBG/Apex with Halo cosmetics, yeah, that would be bad. If they pushed a Halo style version of a BR with its own twist, then it wouldn't been copying. The truth is, most of the reasons for or against it are irrelevant because we have no idea what it would look like if they did it.
There are some interesting things to think about if we look at what a Halo BR would be like. Halo's TTK is great, longer than CoD and shorter than Apex and Fortnite. However it's still a relatively low TTK, so you would have to make a choice that will fundamentally change how the entire game is designed.

1) Increase TTK with tiered shields (Apex and Fortnite). This would make firefights last longer, but this would mean that if you die you probably won't get respawned quickly unless you team buys you back or brings you back whatever. This also would change the entire dynamic of the game, and the 4 shot BR feel that we all love would be gone.

2) Keep TTK feeling "Halo" but then introduce some sort of respawn mechanism (Warzone). This would be my choice, but then 343/Forge maker would need to figure out what sort of respawn mechanism is there? Does each squad have X amount of lifes and can just ODST in? Will it rip from Warzone and have dead people do 1v1's to come back? Could having a big FFA match going on in the background and something like 5 kills = you come back 5 deaths = you don't? Etc.

The answer to this question above would make or break a Halo BR mode, and we haven't even mentioned vehicles that can 1 shot ppl. With how fluid and quick Halo can be, it would suck to just spawn in, get overkilled by a sniper, lose your FFA or whatever, and then just reload back in. I know that's how BRs work, but I don't find sitting in menues and lobby queues more than playing the actual game fun.

Keeping the thing that makes BR exciting (last man standing, shrinking map, no-minimap squad based fighting) while keeping things that make Halo "Halo" (TTK, weapons, etc.) and making something new for BR like Warzone did is the right move here, I think. Apex feels like Titanfall, Warzone feels like CoD, so whatever Halo BR is if it's made needs to feel like Halo.
Mongerty wrote:

There are some interesting things to think about if we look at what a Halo BR would be like. Halo's TTK is great, longer than CoD and shorter than Apex and Fortnite. However it's still a relatively low TTK, so you would have to make a choice that will fundamentally change how the entire game is designed.

1) Increase TTK with tiered shields (Apex and Fortnite). This would make firefights last longer, but this would mean that if you die you probably won't get respawned quickly unless you team buys you back or brings you back whatever. This also would change the entire dynamic of the game, and the 4 shot BR feel that we all love would be gone.

2) Keep TTK feeling "Halo" but then introduce some sort of respawn mechanism (Warzone). This would be my choice, but then 343/Forge maker would need to figure out what sort of respawn mechanism is there? Does each squad have X amount of lifes and can just ODST in? Will it rip from Warzone and have dead people do 1v1's to come back? Could having a big FFA match going on in the background and something like 5 kills = you come back 5 deaths = you don't? Etc.

The answer to this question above would make or break a Halo BR mode, and we haven't even mentioned vehicles that can 1 shot ppl. With how fluid and quick Halo can be, it would suck to just spawn in, get overkilled by a sniper, lose your FFA or whatever, and then just reload back in. I know that's how BRs work, but I don't find sitting in menues and lobby queues more than playing the actual game fun.

Keeping the thing that makes BR exciting (last man standing, shrinking map, no-minimap squad based fighting) while keeping things that make Halo "Halo" (TTK, weapons, etc.) and making something new for BR like Warzone did is the right move here, I think.
I think TTK would be very easy to get around. First of all, things like Gauss Hogs, Tanks, etc..... would need to be extremely rare or even absent completely. Power Weapons can be balanced either through map design or rarity.

Second, Halo has always had tiered shields in the form of power-ups. Nobody should be 4 shotting in a BR mode, and I think that goes without saying that a shield system would require adjustment. Diving into that, I don't believe a Halo BR needs to stick to the original Arena formula as gospel and there are many creative ways to get around with it without completely scrapping the Halo feel.

Having players become ODSTs that start with no shields (but keep pretty much everything else the same with regards to movement) would work fine. Have Active Camo and stackable over shields on the map, and bring back a Halo Reach style health bar and med kits as equipment.

If you want to keep players as Spartans, simply put a black eye skull on to prevent shield recharge (Except for after a melee) and keep a small shield power up on the loot table. I don't think it breaks the Halo feel to allow players to increase their shields over the 100% mark.

These are all things I would expect a development team to tackle day 1 of planning a BR, and constantly work to improve via testing. Maybe all of my ideas are bad and wouldn't work, but all it takes is some creativity to get around. That is just what I came up with in 5 minutes off the top of my head. Respawns would work too, or maybe even just making it a much faster paced BR than what others have tried.
A Halo BR sounds like a good idea thanks to the Sandbox, but I don’t think it needs one to be successful
Mongerty wrote:
Mongerty wrote:

Keeping the thing that makes BR exciting (last man standing, shrinking map, no-minimap squad based fighting) while keeping things that make Halo "Halo" (TTK, weapons, etc.) and making something new for BR like Warzone did is the right move here, I think.
I think TTK would be very easy to get around. First of all, things like Gauss Hogs, Tanks, etc..... would need to be extremely rare or even absent completely. Power Weapons can be balanced either through map design or rarity.

Second, Halo has always had tiered shields in the form of power-ups. Nobody should be 4 shotting in a BR mode, and I think that goes without saying that a shield system would require adjustment. Diving into that, I don't believe a Halo BR needs to stick to the original Arena formula as gospel and there are many creative ways to get around with it without completely scrapping the Halo feel.

Having players become ODSTs that start with no shields (but keep pretty much everything else the same with regards to movement) would work fine. Have Active Camo and stackable over shields on the map, and bring back a Halo Reach style health bar and med kits as equipment.

If you want to keep players as Spartans, simply put a black eye skull on to prevent shield recharge (Except for after a melee) and keep a small shield power up on the loot table. I don't think it breaks the Halo feel to allow players to increase their shields over the 100% mark.

These are all things I would expect a development team to tackle day 1 of planning a BR, and constantly work to improve via testing. Maybe all of my ideas are bad and wouldn't work, but all it takes is some creativity to get around. That is just what I came up with in 5 minutes off the top of my head. Respawns would work too, or maybe even just making it a much faster paced BR than what others have tried.
You say that a 4 shot shouldn't be in a BR, but Warzone's TTK is not much longer than their other games, and in the recent meta the AUG could 3 burst kill someone so it could work and still be fun. This goes back to my original point that making a Halo BR will involve making a decision to either keep the game feeling like Halo or to increase TTK and changing up how the game fundamentally plays. There isn't a wrong answer, but people are going to be annoyed/mad either way chosen. If Warzone can make CoD BR feel like CoD, then Halo can make a Halo BR feel like Halo.

So I see you are talking about having a Reach style health meter, but does Halo Infinite have health meters? Now it's like an entirely different game, can't be built in Forge that way, and would probably require a ton of time and resources to program and balance out now, meaning the default halo multiplayer modes will NOT be getting that time and resources.

The more I even think and type about this the more I think that Halo actually wouldn't be that great as a BR the way it currently is as a genre. I think that 343 should approach anything like this similar to how they are approaching their single player. Campaign will be a Halo game with open-world elements. Halo BR should be a Halo multiplayer mode with BR elements. What those elements are can be anything, but picking your drop point, finding weapons and upgrades, shrinking map, not knowing where enemy is, and having some sort of interesting respawn method, last team/man standing are pretty staple and that's all that really needs to be in to make it a "BR" mode.
Mongerty wrote:
Mongerty wrote:

You say that a 4 shot shouldn't be in a BR, but Warzone's TTK is not much longer than their other games, and in the recent meta the AUG could 3 burst kill someone so it could work and still be fun. This goes back to my original point that making a Halo BR will involve making a decision to either keep the game feeling like Halo or to increase TTK and changing up how the game fundamentally plays. There isn't a wrong answer, but people are going to be annoyed/mad either way chosen. If Warzone can make CoD BR feel like CoD, then Halo can make a Halo BR feel like Halo.

So I see you are talking about having a Reach style health meter, but does Halo Infinite have health meters? Now it's like an entirely different game, can't be built in Forge that way, and would probably require a ton of time and resources to program and balance out now, meaning the default halo multiplayer modes will NOT be getting that time and resources.

The more I even think and type about this the more I think that Halo actually wouldn't be that great as a BR the way it currently is as a genre. I think that 343 should approach anything like this similar to how they are approaching their single player. Campaign will be a Halo game with open-world elements. Halo BR should be a Halo multiplayer mode with BR elements. What those elements are can be anything, but picking your drop point, finding weapons and upgrades, shrinking map, not knowing where enemy is, and having some sort of interesting respawn method, last team/man standing are pretty staple and that's all that really needs to be in to make it a "BR" mode.
For your 1st point, the reason Warzone can get away with shorter TTK is because it relies more on player stealth. You can also lay down, lean, and are almost always in cover in COD. However, we can discuss what we think should or shouldn't be in a hypothetical game until we are blue in the face, it won't really matter.

The overall point I am making is that a Battle Royale game for Halo SHOULDN'T be tied to Infinite and whatever gameplay style they come up with.
For a BR game like that to flourish, it needs to be its own thing that can grow and change outside of the meta for the arena gameplay of Halo (much like literally every Halo game has fundamentally changed aspects of the multiplayer ). If you want a really big map with the exact same gameplay and FFA, really all that we need is the ability to forge random weapon spawns, map deployment and a shrinking kill zone. It's pretty close to doable now in Halo 5 even.

It shouldn't take away Infinite resources because it would deserve to be its own thing with its own team if done right. That team should be able to make decisions based on what would be best for the experience they are going for without worrying about impacting 4v4 CTF matches in another part of the game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2