Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Why Halo Infinite isn’t Gold yet?

OP CptOliver83

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Games usually go gold about a month before release. Unless you know something I don’t, we still have 3 or so months before release.
2-3 months is when games go Gold. Because that's when the physical copies get made and start getting shipped out to stores. Anything under 2 months means logistics nightmare.
This is incorrect. You think stores get physical copies of games 2-3 months in advance?
They get manufactured. Packaged and then ready to be shipped. Very hard to do all that within 1 month. Definitely when shipping worldwide. Two to three months is the standard for going gold. As soon as you go gold manufacturing commences.

Just curious. Have you ever worked in retail? Lol
That’s just false. Two examples:

Ghosts of Tsushima went gold on June 22nd and released on July 17th. Under 4 weeks...

Borderlands 3 went gold last year on July 31st and released on September 13th. Under 6 weeks...

There’s not much in the way of “manufacturing”. They write the game on premade discs and package them in premade boxes.
Metro Exodus went gold 13 December 2018 and released 15 Feb 2019.
Okay? Your premise was that Halo should be gold right now, which is clearly not a requirement.
A little early for gold. Taking a quick look:

Halo 4 = September 26, 2012 (gold) / November 6, 2012 (release)
Halo MCC = October 17, 2014 (gold) / November 11, 2014 (release)
Halo 5 = October 7, 2015 (gold) / October 27, 2015 (release)

Also, I expect there will be a large day one patch to be downloaded.

Edit:

Halo 2 = October 11, 2004 (gold) / November 9, 2004 (release)
Halo 3 = August 29, 2007 (gold) / September 25, 2007 (release)
Halo Reach = August 6, 2010 (gold) / September 14, 2010 (release)
Halo: CE Anniversary = October 15, 2011 (gold) / November 15, 2011 (release)

Halo 5 went gold the latest and was the worse Halo game. Maybe there's a pattern.

Halo 5 went gold the latest and was the worse Halo game. Maybe there's a pattern.
One instance does not make a pattern. Another example is the witcher 3 https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/news/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-goes-gold/ Arguably one of the biggest games this gen and that went gold one month before release. There does not seem to be any specific pattern to when a game goes gold and should not be used as a factor to doubt the game's progress.

One instance does not make a pattern. Another example is the witcher 3 https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/news/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-goes-gold/Arguably one of the biggest games this gen and that went gold one month before release. There does not seem to be any specific pattern to when a game goes gold and should not be used as a factor to doubt the game's progress.
I remember The Witcher 3 release. The launch was a mess and it took three or more months for them to fix some serious bugs and improve the graphics that they had downgraded from their gameplay reveal at E3.

It seems like games that go gold extremely close to launch date have issues upon release.

One instance does not make a pattern. Another example is the witcher 3 https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/news/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-goes-gold/Arguably one of the biggest games this gen and that went gold one month before release. There does not seem to be any specific pattern to when a game goes gold and should not be used as a factor to doubt the game's progress.
I remember The Witcher 3 release. The launch was a mess and it took three or more months for them to fix some serious bugs and improve the graphics that they had downgraded from their gameplay reveal at E3.
I remember it differently and if it did launch in such a poor state, it not seem to affect the critical or commercial success of the game.
The game needs to be delayed in my opinion. Obviously it is not even remotely close to being ready. Nor is it worth it to buy an Xbox Series X for this ugly looking game.
Yeah the graphics were pretty alarming to say the least and I would rather them just delay the release until everything is good to go. Since we're in the middle of a pandemic and they're forced to work from home they now have a reason to push the release date back.

I remember it differently and if it did launch in such a poor state, it not seem to affect the critical or commercial success of the game.
Because the graphics even though downgraded still looked great. And the bugs did not happen to everyone.

However there was a downgrade in comparison to the E3 gameplay presentation.

Do you think Halo Infinite will look much better then what has been shown. Personally I highly doubt it.
The game needs to be delayed in my opinion. Obviously it is not even remotely close to being ready. Nor is it worth it to buy an Xbox Series X for this ugly looking game.
Yeah the graphics were pretty alarming to say the least and I would rather them just delay the release until everything is good to go. Since we're in the middle of a pandemic and they're forced to work from home they now have a reason to push the release date back.
Because of this pandemic things like shipping will be slower. So it will be interesting to see when they do go gold.

Because the graphics even though downgraded still looked great. And the bugs did not happen to everyone.

However there was a downgrade in comparison to the E3 gameplay presentation.

Do you think Halo Infinite will look much better then what has been shown. Personally I highly doubt it.
There are plenty of games that have been clearly downgraded from their E3 showcases. The only point i'm making here is the one counter to the OP's topic. Using when a game goes gold as a metric for the quality of a game is not reasonable and there does not seem to be any evidence to support the case otherwise. Your opinion that the game won't look better at launch is valid. For me personally, I would rather not be lied to about how the game will look graphically and I hope they prove you wrong come launch.

Pretty bold of you to come in these forums with truth & facts. I respect that.
Because of this pandemic things like shipping will be slower. So it will be interesting to see when they do go gold.
Yeah definitely. I feel they're under a lot of stress from Microsoft and Halo being a launch title for project x. I feel like they're in a Halo 2 like development where they have all this ambition and plans with the game but just with the way the world is right now they can't quite accomplish it all which sucks.
Darwi wrote:
Aiming for Gold at this point is a little ambitious.

Especially given the COVID crisis. And overall Halo probably is doing 'ok'. Not a lot of other AAA games touted for the new consoles have shown raw game play.

It's a 'significant' graphics problem for sure, but the Digital Foundry video points out that a lot of it can be salvaged with better lighting.

Fingers crossed they can keep things on track.
Better lighting is not a magical wand you can wave around to magically fix all the graphical issues of this game. Not only this but it's more then the graphics that is wrong with Halo: Infinite.
And what would that be? Gameplay looks very solid, i also like little details like the Warthogs tire blowing up due to the plasma grenade, thats actually something we never seen in a past Halo, or shooting enemies in the foot to make them stumble.

And it seems like people ignore that Halo was NEVER known for hyper-realistic graphics, it ALWAYS had a "Cartoony" look and that what i like about Halo because it makes places like a HALO somewhat magical due to its colors etc. And those pop-ups? Again, people forget that this is an early build, early builds have these things, have you seen Cyberpunk2077? Pop-ups everywhere and much heavier than in Infinite.

Why are people so fixated on graphics these days? Go play Order 1886, a shallow Engine Demo.
Games usually go gold about a month before release. Unless you know something I don’t, we still have 3 or so months before release.
2-3 months is when games go Gold. Because that's when the physical copies get made and start getting shipped out to stores. Anything under 2 months means logistics nightmare.
This is incorrect. You think stores get physical copies of games 2-3 months in advance?
They get manufactured. Packaged and then ready to be shipped. Very hard to do all that within 1 month. Definitely when shipping worldwide. Two to three months is the standard for going gold. As soon as you go gold manufacturing commences.

Ghosts of Tsushima went gold on June 22nd and released on July 17th. Under 4 weeks...

Borderlands 3 went gold last year on July 31st and released on September 13th. Under 6 weeks...

There’s not much in the way of “manufacturing”. They write the game on premade discs and package them in premade boxes.
Huh?

As far as I know discs are pressed not writed. There's a Press Model and a Stamper does press them.
At this point, after many years in development, Halo Infinite should have been Gold by now and Xbox should focusing on marketing and creating hype around the game until launch day.

Instead, they are now dealing with a MAJOR graphic problem. We don’t know what happen durring development, but we know the Halo Infinite presentation has damaged both Halo and Xbox brand.

Worse, Halo Infinite was supposed to be a Xbox Gamepass seller, but it’s doing the exact opposite at the moment.

We, THE FANS, would appreciate CLEAR explanations of your vision and what’s the state of the rest of the game and what we should expect for the future of Halo Infinite.

Please set expectations 343i

Best Regards
Game's rarely go gold four months before launch. I wont expect to see that till October.

Halo doesn't really have a "MAJOR" graphical problem. We have to remember development on this games began before development on XSX. Infinite is basically a Xbox One title optimized for XSX. With that said the demo we saw was unfinished demo build originally for E3. Which is why it was running on a mid-spec dev computer designed for debugging rather then an actually XSX. Because of when states started implementing stay at home orders it would not surprises me at all if the demo didn't get worked on at all from basically March to June.

There is still three solid months of development. Graphics are an easy polish and don't take very long to upgrade. We'll also receive ray tracing post launch. I'm personally okay with getting graphical updates after launch as long as Infinite has solid gameplay, fun story, working multiplayer severs day one, and runs smooth 4k at 60fps.

Huh?

As far as I know discs are pressed not writed. There's a Press Model and a Stamper does press them.
Okay, they are pressed onto premade discs. The point was that there’s not a lot of manufacturing going on and it’s mostly automated.
At this point, after many years in development, Halo Infinite should have been Gold by now and Xbox should focusing on marketing and creating hype around the game until launch day.

Instead, they are now dealing with a MAJOR graphic problem. We don’t know what happen durring development, but we know the Halo Infinite presentation has damaged both Halo and Xbox brand.

Worse, Halo Infinite was supposed to be a Xbox Gamepass seller, but it’s doing the exact opposite at the moment.

We, THE FANS, would appreciate CLEAR explanations of your vision and what’s the state of the rest of the game and what we should expect for the future of Halo Infinite.

Best Regards
Game's rarely go gold four months before launch. I wont expect to see that till October.

Halo doesn't really have a "MAJOR" graphical problem. We have to remember development on this games began before development on XSX. Infinite is basically a Xbox One title optimized for XSX. With that said the demo we saw was unfinished demo build originally for E3. Which is why it was running on a mid-spec dev computer designed for debugging rather then an actually XSX. Because of when states started implementing stay at home orders it would not surprises me at all if the demo didn't get worked on at all from basically March to June.

There is still three solid months of development. Graphics are an easy polish and don't take very long to upgrade. We'll also receive ray tracing post launch. I'm personally okay with getting graphical updates after launch as long as Infinite has solid gameplay, fun story, working multiplayer severs day one, and runs smooth 4k at 60fps.
I just hope they talk sooner than later. These posts of people losing their minds is getting unbearable.

Best Regards
Bro the demo was an old build.
Theres a good few months til the game even releases so the game still has time to go gold. Also this is the first time any developer has had to go through a pandemic and have their entire studio work from home for months and months. That slows progress.

You've really blown everything out of proportion massively.

One instance does not make a pattern. Another example is the witcher 3 https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/news/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-goes-gold/ Arguably one of the biggest games this gen and that went gold one month before release. There does not seem to be any specific pattern to when a game goes gold and should not be used as a factor to doubt the game's progress.
I agree. If infinite goes gold one, or one and a half months, before launch and flops terribly then sparhawk 122 will have a point.
Yeah definitely. I feel they're under a lot of stress from Microsoft and Halo being a launch title for project x. I feel like they're in a Halo 2 like development where they have all this ambition and plans with the game but just with the way the world is right now they can't quite accomplish it all which sucks.
If I remember correctly, halo 2 ended up being one of the best in the series.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3