OP CptOliver83

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Darwi wrote:
Darwi wrote:
Aiming for Gold at this point is a little ambitious.

Especially given the COVID crisis. And overall Halo probably is doing 'ok'. Not a lot of other AAA games touted for the new consoles have shown raw game play.

It's a 'significant' graphics problem for sure, but the Digital Foundry video points out that a lot of it can be salvaged with better lighting.

Fingers crossed they can keep things on track.
Better lighting is not a magical wand you can wave around to magically fix all the graphical issues of this game. Not only this but it's more then the graphics that is wrong with Halo: Infinite.
If you mean the art style... there is not a lot they will do to change that. I actually like it.

It works;
a) As a homage to the original game.
b) At a fidelity level that allows large open worlds (gritty / realistic would stress the engine / system).
c) It's a level that the older systems can keep up with.

But yes, the Digital Foundry video (it's on their YouTube channel) shows that the lighting problems tends to flatten / simplify the textures. Hopefully it is something that can be remediated before release.
Answers "A" and "C" are correct. As for "B": Wasn't Slipspace designed specifically for this game??? When the community asked for the original art style, I don't think anyone meant textures from 20 years ago.
Honestly I wonder whether the traditional concept of "gold" will stay the same for next-gen games. I see them easily exceeding 100GB in size, and major update patches to be over 50GB each, so "physical copies" are probably just going to be plastic cases (can be mass-produced regardless of development progress) with redeem codes (can be generated also regardless of development) inside. I think Infinite will be a 100% digitally distibuted game at its core so going "gold" might not apply as it used to if they don't make discs at all.
It remains to be seen how this is going to work out upon release and we get our hands on it. Not getting nor can afford a fancy Xbox X monster. Just hoping it looks good w/o all that fancy graphics power on the lower Xbox's. Just hoping that Multiplayer is not forgotten in all this. Multiplayer is the cash driver not campaign mode.
I don't know how some of you have gotten the idea that games go gold a few months before launch, but it's completely off. No modern Xbox Games Studio title (that I looked through) has gone gold more than one month before release. There is still plenty of pre-launch Dev time yet.

Edit: Just while I'm at it, I found this throwback to Half-Life 2 going gold (1 month before release)
The game needs to be delayed in my opinion. Obviously it is not even remotely close to being ready. Nor is it worth it to buy an Xbox Series X for this ugly looking game.
Yeah the graphics were pretty alarming to say the least and I would rather them just delay the release until everything is good to go. Since we're in the middle of a pandemic and they're forced to work from home they now have a reason to push the release date back.
Because of this pandemic things like shipping will be slower. So it will be interesting to see when they do go gold.
Yeah definitely. I feel they're under a lot of stress from Microsoft and Halo being a launch title for project x. I feel like they're in a Halo 2 like development where they have all this ambition and plans with the game but just with the way the world is right now they can't quite accomplish it all which sucks.
If I remember correctly, halo 2 ended up being one of the best in the series.
Yeah it was one of the best and I have countless memories of playing it with my brothers. I'm just hoping Infinite can help bring back even a fraction of that OG Halo magic.
Darwi wrote:

Especially given the COVID crisis. And overall Halo probably is doing 'ok'. Not a lot of other AAA games touted for the new consoles have shown raw game play.

It's a 'significant' graphics problem for sure, but the Digital Foundry video points out that a lot of it can be salvaged with better lighting.

Given that the game only has like only 3 ish months left they should be polishing and bug fixing not having major graphic issue. This game will look like this comes launch. They had 6 ish years to make this game ! What we seen so far is pathetic no wonder we didn’t see anything till 4 months before release. They knew this game isn’t ready. Needs to be delay.
  • Gears 5 went gold one month before release
  • Forza Horizon 4 went gold 16 days before (early) release
  • Halo 5 went gold 20 days before release
I don't know how some of you have gotten the idea that games go gold a few months before launch, but it's completely off. No modern Xbox Games Studio title (that I looked through) has gone gold more than one month before release. There is still plenty of pre-launch Dev time yet.
Cyberpunk is a few month of gold
Darwi wrote:

Given that the game only has like only 3 ish months left they should be polishing and bug fixing not having major graphic issue. This is game will look like this comes launch. They had 6 ish years to make this game ! What we seen so far is pathetic no wonder we didn’t see anything till 4 months before release. They knew this game isn’t ready. Needs to be delayed.
I can't believe there isn't time to fix the pop-in and lighting - which will go a long way to enhancing the experience.

Yes they are cutting it close... but COVID / working from home has surely cost them some time. We may need to allow for some roughness around the edges if they are to release with the new console... but thankfully the new engine is custom built for easy upgrades.

For all we know the game itself is pretty much complete... and they are just left with optimisations to do.

If you are instead referring to the artstyle... then no, you are in for some disappointment. Personally I like it... it was just the pop in (clouds / grass) and texture flatness (lighting issues?) that I found grating.
  • Gears 5 went gold one month before release
  • Forza Horizon 4 went gold 16 days before (early) release
  • Halo 5 went gold 20 days before release
Cyberpunk is a few month of gold
I cannot find anything saying Cyberpunk 2077 has gone gold. At the rate CD Projekt Red are going at, it will be released in Fall 2022 after 3 more delays.

The Witcher 3 went gold one month before release though.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3