Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Why isn't there friendly fire?

OP AgingUnicorn

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo is supposed to have friendly fire. Players should be punished for poor shooting and grenades. I'm sure it would be a toggle in the final game, but it should be default for matchmaking.

Additionally, not having friendly fire creates a more isolated playing experience. You can just shoot and spam grenades into chokepoints without consideration for teammates. Historically, we've always had to be mindful of where our teammates are. You need to be able to 'feel' your teammates presence in the games. That's halo.
Because they think little kids can’t handle it
Because this game was made to appeal to the COD, Apex, Fortnite crowd.
Game theory? Having it off makes the worst situations (friendlies teamkilling you, friendlies abusing the system, friendlies being malicious) not happen despite also negatively adjusting the balance.

Friendly grenades look the same as enemy grenades, so I still hide from them and it can be a mess when both come into a room. I'm also confident that friendly fire will be a thing in some modes in the final game, so I've been avoiding blowing up my own teammates. Grenades will still affect shield placements for both teams.

Right now friendlies can still block your own bullets so they can still get in your way but I don't know about grenades.
It's just disabled. It can be enabled in customs and it's safe to assume it'll be in ranked.
I agree with this as well. I think friendly fire should be turned on.

Everything you said I agree with:
Poor shooting should not be rewarded
Poor grenades throwing should not be rewarded

Same thing with hammer or rocket splash damage as well!
Maybe it will be off for social and on for ranked, would actually make a bunch more sense to be like that actually.
HeaIey wrote:
I agree with this as well. I think friendly fire should be turned on.

Everything you said I agree with:
Poor shooting should not be rewarded
Poor grenades throwing should not be rewarded

Same thing with hammer or rocket splash damage as well!
I second this.
I know what's it "supposed to have" but this game will draw a lot of players in, a lot of new players, I just remember the mess that was in Rainbow Six Siege with friendly fire. So I am guessing they picked the lesser of two evils, the consequences of not having it just means some people will complain that it used to have friendly fire and it feels wrong without it, but they will eventually get used to it and move, however the consequences of having it on are more grave considering the game is free-to-play someone who never even played Halo doesn't care about it, might just get into matches and start shooting their own team just to troll. Such behavior might cause players to leave, play the game less, and considering the game is free it relies on people sticking around. On top of that friendly fire would need a dedicated report and ban system for repeat offenders, seeing how the game is just getting up on it's feet maybe it's not something they want to spend time. Anyway between friendly fire or not, it's easy to see why would they leave it out.
It’s social and social doesn’t have friendly fire.
Ken2379 wrote:
Maybe it will be off for social and on for ranked, would actually make a bunch more sense to be like that actually.
I can get on board with that I guess. Still just feels weird.
Freeland7 wrote:
Since when? Which halo? I didn't play halo 5 too much so i don't remember but every other halo has always had friendly fire in all modes.
Game theory? Having it off makes the worst situations (friendlies teamkilling you, friendlies abusing the system, friendlies being malicious) not happen despite also negatively adjusting the balance.

Friendly grenades look the same as enemy grenades, so I still hide from them and it can be a mess when both come into a room. I'm also confident that friendly fire will be a thing in some modes in the final game, so I've been avoiding blowing up my own teammates. Grenades will still affect shield placements for both teams.

Right now friendlies can still block your own bullets so they can still get in your way but I don't know about grenades.
Friendlies who want to screw up the game for their team will still be able to do so via suiciding or being generally useless. For those who betray, the booting system has always been pretty good in my opinion. Or perhaps we could have a sophisticated boot system where if all other players elect to kick then they can.

As far as "friendly grenades look the same as enemy grenades", yeah dude... it's a grenade. It should be lethal to everyone.
Friendly fire has a lot of consequence and I understand why they don't activate it for a beta. It’s too easy to betray you’re allies in Halo. You can do it many times before the exclusion’s option is available. And even there, you just have to kill those wounded by the enemy, that won’t be considerate as a betray. You can even hurts your allies and wait the enemy to finish them.

People betray their allies for the special weapons and vehicles and steal the flag to score themselves. Of course, there is the toxic players who betrayal allies for the fun.
As for crashes, they are most often involuntary, because barely a vehicle touches an ally that it loses all his shields !

So, the betray problem isn’t omnipresent in the game, but when it happens, it’s very annoying. Delete entirely the friendly fire would be too much, it’s an important part of the Halo gameplay. However, I think there are a lot of solution for the betray problem :

- Increase the reappearance time for each betrayal (5second, 10second, 15second ...)
- Reduce the score to -1 for each betrayal
- Propose the exclusion option sooner
- Prevent a betrayer to pick up a weapon/flag from his teammate
- Reduce friendly fire for the vehicles to avoid crash
- Remove friendly fire for melee attack (a player can’t hit an ally by accident)

I also make a betray compilation video to show how it’s easy to betray allies : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ahVyGp6oU&t=5s&ab_channel=STiger
I strongly believe that friendly fire should be turned on as well as friendly player collision. It rewards crappy behavior such as just randomly throwing grenades or firing rockets. When going into ranked, that will become bad habits. But if anything, ranked MUST have friendly fire. It's supposed to be more competitive and should be much less forgiving. The betrayal boot system has worked great in past Halo games. No need to start changing things just to try to appeal to newer gamers. This is a basic fundamental aspect of Halo. EVERYONE can identify Halo with the betrayal announcer. It's something that has been a part of Halo for many years. Just played a game where I had someone dead but he shot rockets on the ground near his teammate and killed me but his teammate of course survived. If it were any other Halo game, you know your choices can negatively affect others. Meaning, a betrayal would result in a negative point for your team. So him killing me would have resulted in 0 points because of poor choices to kill me. Let's not dumb down certain aspects just to enable those who can't hack it. This isn't Call of Duty...
I know what's it "supposed to have" but this game will draw a lot of players in, a lot of new players, I just remember the mess that was in Rainbow Six Siege with friendly fire. So I am guessing they picked the lesser of two evils, the consequences of not having it just means some people will complain that it used to have friendly fire and it feels wrong without it, but they will eventually get used to it and move, however the consequences of having it on are more grave considering the game is free-to-play someone who never even played Halo doesn't care about it, might just get into matches and start shooting their own team just to troll. Such behavior might cause players to leave, play the game less, and considering the game is free it relies on people sticking around. On top of that friendly fire would need a dedicated report and ban system for repeat offenders, seeing how the game is just getting up on it's feet maybe it's not something they want to spend time. Anyway between friendly fire or not, it's easy to see why would they leave it out.
So cater and change a setting for potential new players that may or may not stick around?

You mentioned it yourself, veterans of Halo games could just get used to it…or the opposite…the new players could get used to not shooting there own teammates.

Others have mentioned it here. If someone wants to troll or sabotage, they can still do so by committing suicide or running to the middle of the map to let the other team kill them constantly. Just as annoying.
just release a hardcore slayer
Freeland7 wrote:
Since when? Which halo? I didn't play halo 5 too much so i don't remember but every other halo has always had friendly fire in all modes.
I think it’s been a thing since Halo Reach
They need to add player collision or turn friendly fire on. I have had teammates phase through me and block my sniper/rocket shots way more than a handful of times and it’s gotten really annoying.
Friendly fire has a lot of consequence and I understand why they don't activate it for a beta. It’s too easy to betray you’re allies in Halo. You can do it many times before the exclusion’s option is available. And even there, you just have to kill those wounded by the enemy, that won’t be considerate as a betray. You can even hurts your allies and wait the enemy to finish them.
People betray their allies for the special weapons and vehicles and steal the flag to score themselves. Of course, there is the toxic players who betrayal allies for the fun.
As for crashes, they are most often involuntary, because barely a vehicle touches an ally that it loses all his shields !
So, the betray problem isn’t omnipresent in the game, but when it happens, it’s very annoying. Delete entirely the friendly fire would be too much, it’s an important part of the Halo gameplay. However, I think there are a lot of solution for the betray problem :
- Increase the reappearance time for each betrayal (5second, 10second, 15second ...)
- Reduce the score to -1 for each betrayal
- Propose the exclusion option sooner
- Prevent a betrayer to pick up a weapon/flag from his teammate
- Reduce friendly fire for the vehicles to avoid crash
- Remove friendly fire for melee attack (a player can’t hit an ally by accident)

I also make a betray compilation video to show how it’s easy to betray allies : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ahVyGp6oU&t=5s&ab_channel=STiger
Your use of omnipresent should be replaced with another synonym as it doesn't fit well with the atmosphere of your post.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2