Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Why it is wrong to use old designs

OP Enrico 117

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
Trick question, It's not wrong.
There's really no question at all.
Exactly, it's definitely not wrong.

Glad we could see eye to eye on this, for a moment I thought you were serious!!
I see, you like to make jokes then.
I do, but using it to make a point as well.

As much as I liked the realism of 4&5, the older art direction was better, peaked at 3.

Plus, it's what the community at large want and they're not about to change the entire art style, so really the argument is irrelevant.
That's not making your point, that just sharing your subjective opinion on what you like. It's just like saying I love pizza. I can respect the fact that you like Bungie's art style and, in some ways, I prefer it too over 343's art style, but there's instances where Halo 4 and Halo 5 have better art style hands down. Yet I'm talking about designs, the covenant in particular. This post is not supposed to change anything in the game at all, it's made to give some objective reasons on why some desings are bad, so people in the Halo community can have more tools to discuss design constructively, and not just live in the past and say "I wanna go backward because I liked it better".
Enrico 117 wrote:
I preface this by saying, even though I already made up my mind and won't buy, nor play Halo Infinite, I still have cared about Halo for the longest time. One of the many different reasons I won't play HI is the character design. I am not the biggest expert in design, but I like to think I know a thing or two, and one of the things I know quite well is storytelling is a fundamental aspect of good design. In particular, the old Covenant design was simple, purple and shiny because the religious cult of the Covenant values uniformity, rules, rigor, elegance, luxury and power (and things like that). The Banished are a high-tech, brutal, tactical coalition that uses rough edges, scrap metal and red color (if I'm not mistaken). The old design is out of place and confusing in this context. The old design tells the wrong story. This is bad design, it's fundamentally flawed. As much as you don't care about the lore, it's wrong and disrespectful to completely ignore it and tell a different story with your design. I'd like to hear from another concept artist or a character designer their take on this topic.
I disagree, cause they used the old designs on most things, so your argument doesn't make sense
You didn't quite get what I wrote, I can only say read it again and, eventually, you may not agree, but it will make sense to you too.
Fabtulle wrote:
reverting to the old design is very bad! this means that 343 does not assume halo 4 and 5! while their armor is just sublime, very well thought out (functional). making an open world is also a gross error because the rhythm of the campaign which was one of the strong points of Halo will be fragmented because of repetitive side quests and without interest! Halo should keep its identity that's what makes its strength! you should never copy bungie and their destiny, or other games like rage 2 / far cry 3/4/5 !

343 is crashing down the line !

open world
graphics dating from 10 years ago
return to armor because 2/3 fat mourners are just nostagic
shock announcements that evaporate.

343 denies their baby
343 has never lived to expectations, they never made anything good, not even an app. They made Halo Infinite look like that only for fan service, but I honestly can't see how anybody else other than those few thousands fans are gonna be pleased with how Halo Infinite looks. Comments about the graphics are almost exclusively negative or hopeful in some improvements from what I've seen so far.
It's a video game, and people like those weapons and associate them with the series.

The Banished steal all the weapons they can get their hands on.

Cortana has basically shut down production of weapons.

There's nothing wrong with using old weapons as long as they do what you need them to do.
Wait a second, there's only one old weapon in the trailer, it's the old Reach AR, every single other weapon is new, so what weapon will people associate with the series? I'd love for some old weapons to come back too because they have a distinctively Halo design, almost every new weapon in the Halo Infinite trailer hasn't got a Halo design. My point was different though: you can't disregard the Banished design and put in the wrong old design just because of fan service. You can design new enemies or new armors while still making them fit in the Halo universe.
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
Trick question, It's not wrong.
There's really no question at all.
Exactly, it's definitely not wrong.

Glad we could see eye to eye on this, for a moment I thought you were serious!!
I see, you like to make jokes then.
I do, but using it to make a point as well.

As much as I liked the realism of 4&5, the older art direction was better, peaked at 3.

Plus, it's what the community at large want and they're not about to change the entire art style, so really the argument is irrelevant.
That's not making your point, that just sharing your subjective opinion on what you like. It's just like saying I love pizza. I can respect the fact that you like Bungie's art style and, in some ways, I prefer it too over 343's art style, but there's instances where Halo 4 and Halo 5 have better art style hands down. Yet I'm talking about designs, the covenant in particular. This post is not supposed to change anything in the game at all, it's made to give some objective reasons on why some desings are bad, so people in the Halo community can have more tools to discuss design constructively, and not just live in the past and say "I wanna go backward because I liked it better".
Nobody is saying that.

I'm all for meaningful discussion but this doesn't achieve anything, save for people who don't like hailing back to the older art style in whatever way or form banding together, going around in circles and discussing the finite details of what they do and don't like - which whilat I can reapect, IS pointless.

It won't change anything, it's just expressing an opinion for the sake of it. Plus, it eats up forum space and things that I'm sure you'd prefer to discuss more than this, get buried. It happens far too often.

Add to the fact that not only is this view/ topic not new by any means, it's yet another post on top of the hundreds we've already had about graphics/ art direction. The messages have been heard, 343 have responded, now how about we use time & effort on discussing other things?

For example, the 2nd QR code from the "Become/ Step inside" trailer & gif, are still unsolved. That's just one thing we know we haven't solved, there are likely still other things out there, 343 have said as much.

Tl:Dr Discussing opinions is fine, but sometimes, it's pointless spending time going over things just for the sake of it. No offence meant, just my honest opinion.

Have a nice day.
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
I preface this by saying, even though I already made up my mind and won't buy, nor play Halo Infinite, I still have cared about Halo for the longest time. One of the many different reasons I won't play HI is the character design. I am not the biggest expert in design, but I like to think I know a thing or two, and one of the things I know quite well is storytelling is a fundamental aspect of good design. In particular, the old Covenant design was simple, purple and shiny because the religious cult of the Covenant values uniformity, rules, rigor, elegance, luxury and power (and things like that). The Banished are a high-tech, brutal, tactical coalition that uses rough edges, scrap metal and red color (if I'm not mistaken). The old design is out of place and confusing in this context. The old design tells the wrong story. This is bad design, it's fundamentally flawed. As much as you don't care about the lore, it's wrong and disrespectful to completely ignore it and tell a different story with your design. I'd like to hear from another concept artist or a character designer their take on this topic.
I disagree, cause they used the old designs on most things, so your argument doesn't make sense
You didn't quite get what I wrote, I can only say read it again and, eventually, you may not agree, but it will make sense to you too.
Still just disagree. If they went back to other older looking designs, why can't they for the pistol and shotgun? Humanity is pushed against the wall again, desperate, its a good reason to go back to the utilitarian look.
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
Trick question, It's not wrong.
There's really no question at all.
Exactly, it's definitely not wrong.

Glad we could see eye to eye on this, for a moment I thought you were serious!!
I see, you like to make jokes then.
I do, but using it to make a point as well.

As much as I liked the realism of 4&5, the older art direction was better, peaked at 3.

Plus, it's what the community at large want and they're not about to change the entire art style, so really the argument is irrelevant.
That's not making your point, that just sharing your subjective opinion on what you like. It's just like saying I love pizza. I can respect the fact that you like Bungie's art style and, in some ways, I prefer it too over 343's art style, but there's instances where Halo 4 and Halo 5 have better art style hands down. Yet I'm talking about designs, the covenant in particular. This post is not supposed to change anything in the game at all, it's made to give some objective reasons on why some desings are bad, so people in the Halo community can have more tools to discuss design constructively, and not just live in the past and say "I wanna go backward because I liked it better".
Nobody is saying that.

I'm all for meaningful discussion but this doesn't achieve anything, save for people who don't like hailing back to the older art style in whatever way or form banding together, going around in circles and discussing the finite details of what they do and don't like - which whilat I can reapect, IS pointless.

It won't change anything, it's just expressing an opinion for the sake of it. Plus, it eats up forum space and things that I'm sure you'd prefer to discuss more than this, get buried. It happens far too often.

Add to the fact that not only is this view/ topic not new by any means, it's yet another post on top of the hundreds we've already had about graphics/ art direction. The messages have been heard, 343 have responded, now how about we use time & effort on discussing other things?

For example, the 2nd QR code from the "Become/ Step inside" trailer & gif, are still unsolved. That's just one thing we know we haven't solved, there are likely still other things out there, 343 have said as much.

Tl:Dr Discussing opinions is fine, but sometimes, it's pointless spending time going over things just for the sake of it. No offence meant, just my honest opinion.

Have a nice day.
If you can't see the point of the discussion, I'm sorry for you, but that's your problem. The fact that most of the comments about the gameplay trailer are about the graphics, (including design) clearly means there still needs to be discussion around it. The hundreds of topics about this argument in this forum you mention ed are fourther proof of people willing to discusso the topic. At one point 343 changed the art style and design of Halo Infinite because of these disussions. You had it your way when the Halo community was at its lowest, it was easy then for a few hundreds of people to be called a majority and sway 343 into adopting the old art style. Which, by the way, they didn't manager to pull off at all, some design are old style, yes, but the art style is different from any Bungie's Halo. The flat color without contrast in the new trailer are a far cry from the older very contrasty art style. But the reality is: now that Halo has all this hype and this attention around it, the majority of comments from the expanded community about the art style are negative. While I think 343 would never go back on their decision of using dated design, because it would look stupid at this point, it will always worth it to point out their mistakes. Not for 343 to learn from those (343 only makes stupid decisions, always), but for the rest of the community to realize 343's mistakes.
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
I preface this by saying, even though I already made up my mind and won't buy, nor play Halo Infinite, I still have cared about Halo for the longest time. One of the many different reasons I won't play HI is the character design. I am not the biggest expert in design, but I like to think I know a thing or two, and one of the things I know quite well is storytelling is a fundamental aspect of good design. In particular, the old Covenant design was simple, purple and shiny because the religious cult of the Covenant values uniformity, rules, rigor, elegance, luxury and power (and things like that). The Banished are a high-tech, brutal, tactical coalition that uses rough edges, scrap metal and red color (if I'm not mistaken). The old design is out of place and confusing in this context. The old design tells the wrong story. This is bad design, it's fundamentally flawed. As much as you don't care about the lore, it's wrong and disrespectful to completely ignore it and tell a different story with your design. I'd like to hear from another concept artist or a character designer their take on this topic.
I disagree, cause they used the old designs on most things, so your argument doesn't make sense
You didn't quite get what I wrote, I can only say read it again and, eventually, you may not agree, but it will make sense to you too.
Still just disagree. If they went back to other older looking designs, why can't they for the pistol and shotgun? Humanity is pushed against the wall again, desperate, its a good reason to go back to the utilitarian look.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, we actually agree... The bad design is for the Covenant enemies. I'd actually like for the old pistol and the old shotgun designs to come back, I don't see any fault in those (I see many faults in the newer human weapons design instead).
At least Infinite is a free-to-play multiplayer so you can try it for free.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
At least Infinite is a free-to-play multiplayer so you can try it for free.
I have GamePass, I could have tried it anyway, but after playing Halo MCC and Halo 5 for so long, I can't see anything new that would entise me to even try the game. Mean while the graphics are so bright, bad and nauseating that actively push me away from it.
Enrico 117 wrote:
C0RRuPTT wrote:
At least Infinite is a free-to-play multiplayer so you can try it for free.
I have GamePass, I could have tried it anyway, but after playing Halo MCC and Halo 5 for so long, I can't see anything new that would entise me to even try the game. Mean while the graphics are so bright, bad and nauseating that actively push me away from it.
Fair enough, but there is still a while before the game comes out so let’s see what else 343 has to show us about Infinite. Especially regarding multiplayer.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
C0RRuPTT wrote:
At least Infinite is a free-to-play multiplayer so you can try it for free.
I have GamePass, I could have tried it anyway, but after playing Halo MCC and Halo 5 for so long, I can't see anything new that would entise me to even try the game. Mean while the graphics are so bright, bad and nauseating that actively push me away from it.
Fair enough, but there is still a while before the game comes out so let’s see what else 343 has to show us about Infinite. Especially regarding multiplayer.
Only fools never change their mind. I still might change my mind, but seeing 343 track record, I'm fairly sure it won't happen.
Fans: Please use original weapon designs

343: You got it, no problem... proceeds to change every weapon
Enrico 117 wrote:
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
C0RRuPTT wrote:
At least Infinite is a free-to-play multiplayer so you can try it for free.
I have GamePass, I could have tried it anyway, but after playing Halo MCC and Halo 5 for so long, I can't see anything new that would entise me to even try the game. Mean while the graphics are so bright, bad and nauseating that actively push me away from it.
Fair enough, but there is still a while before the game comes out so let’s see what else 343 has to show us about Infinite. Especially regarding multiplayer.
Only fools never change their mind. I still might change my mind, but seeing 343 track record, I'm fairly sure it won't happen.
I approach the 343 Halo titles with a healthy skepticism, no doubt. I will at least say I think that Infinite will be the best title from 343.
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
I preface this by saying, even though I already made up my mind and won't buy, nor play Halo Infinite, I still have cared about Halo for the longest time. One of the many different reasons I won't play HI is the character design. I am not the biggest expert in design, but I like to think I know a thing or two, and one of the things I know quite well is storytelling is a fundamental aspect of good design. In particular, the old Covenant design was simple, purple and shiny because the religious cult of the Covenant values uniformity, rules, rigor, elegance, luxury and power (and things like that). The Banished are a high-tech, brutal, tactical coalition that uses rough edges, scrap metal and red color (if I'm not mistaken). The old design is out of place and confusing in this context. The old design tells the wrong story. This is bad design, it's fundamentally flawed. As much as you don't care about the lore, it's wrong and disrespectful to completely ignore it and tell a different story with your design. I'd like to hear from another concept artist or a character designer their take on this topic.
I don’t give a -Yoink- about the lore, the game looks like it’s supposed to, and it looks fantastic and not whatever the -Yoink- the last two games were supposed to be, so I plan on buying it unless some other horrible news comes out regarding multiplayer or micro transactions
If you don't care about the lore, why do you care about the campaign at all? You should just play the multiplayer and enjoy older Halo campaigns, not hold back the new Halo for some nostalgic reasons. Imo Halo Infinite souldn't keep looking and feeling exactly like it's a game from 2006, there's already Halo MCC for that.
No, I like the spirit of the Bungie era games, and I loved the way that universe was represented through that style of art. I like their simplicity of storytelling while alluding to deeper lore, but I never wanted a -Yoink- load of deeper lore. Now it’s such a complicated multimedia presentation that you have to do a bunch of homework outside of just main campaign modes to get full context of what is happening in those stories. Furthermore, the in game reasoning for changing the art style was super lame, and a very poor cop-out explanation for things like Chief’s armor being different, etc. Going back to what the game is supposed to stylistically look like, while continuing to evolve the gameplay is exactly what should be happening. I just hope the campaign tells a complete story that you can understand with no additional novels, comic books, etc. 343’s visual reboot never should’ve happened. Instead, they should’ve continued to slowly evolve the overall formula. It’s not about “Nostalgia holding it back,” it’s about brand consistency. And I am quite frankly sick of being told to just “enjoy the older games.” There’s only so many of them, and there’s only so many times that you can play them through before you get bored of them, and then want more of that, with different little new twists or locations or characters. Reach was the last Bungie art style game, and that was TEN YEARS AGO. I’ve been playing the crap out of 1,2,3, ODST and Reach for TEN YEARS, because I don’t enjoy 4-5 at all. That’s what fans who are like me want. Some old and some new. A constant stream of the new, but also familiar. The way 4-5 look are not familiar to me—-couple that with the massive gameplay changes and it doesn’t even seem like I’m playing games in the same series. The Banished and quite frankly any other traditional species of Halo style enemy can fit in the original art style, it’s the Prometheans that will likely not fit in very well. And I’m ok with that too, because I don’t like fighting them. They are a chore and a slog to fight through in campaign, there’s no interesting or fun elements of facing them and it feels even further removed from Halo. I would MUCH rather have a new twist on something old, for example: flying suicide grunts thrown by brutes, than have some boorish new enemies.
From what I understand , the Banished use equipment they accumulated over months/years of raiding Covenant stores and recruiting Covenant commanders and crews.....so it makes some sense that they use highly modified older model Covenant equipment and vehicles. After the mass EMP at the end of Halo 5 , it makes sense that the UNSC had to revert to older equipment stores that maybe weren't as effected by it , so even lore wise a return to the old art style makes some sense. I get the graphical fidelity and some character models aren't great , but halo was never a graphical power house. It's most stunning features historically have been the sky boxes. Also , we are still 3 months from having to go gold to be ready for a November launch , which is when most of that polish work is done. I don't trust or have much faith in 343 at this point , but let's atleast wait til the game is out before judging it.
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
I preface this by saying, even though I already made up my mind and won't buy, nor play Halo Infinite, I still have cared about Halo for the longest time. One of the many different reasons I won't play HI is the character design. I am not the biggest expert in design, but I like to think I know a thing or two, and one of the things I know quite well is storytelling is a fundamental aspect of good design. In particular, the old Covenant design was simple, purple and shiny because the religious cult of the Covenant values uniformity, rules, rigor, elegance, luxury and power (and things like that). The Banished are a high-tech, brutal, tactical coalition that uses rough edges, scrap metal and red color (if I'm not mistaken). The old design is out of place and confusing in this context. The old design tells the wrong story. This is bad design, it's fundamentally flawed. As much as you don't care about the lore, it's wrong and disrespectful to completely ignore it and tell a different story with your design. I'd like to hear from another concept artist or a character designer their take on this topic.
I don’t give a -Yoink- about the lore, the game looks like it’s supposed to, and it looks fantastic and not whatever the -Yoink- the last two games were supposed to be, so I plan on buying it unless some other horrible news comes out regarding multiplayer or micro transactions
If you don't care about the lore, why do you care about the campaign at all? You should just play the multiplayer and enjoy older Halo campaigns, not hold back the new Halo for some nostalgic reasons. Imo Halo Infinite souldn't keep looking and feeling exactly like it's a game from 2006, there's already Halo MCC for that.
No, I like the spirit of the Bungie era games, and I loved the way that universe was represented through that style of art. I like their simplicity of storytelling while alluding to deeper lore, but I never wanted a -Yoink- load of deeper lore. Now it’s such a complicated multimedia presentation that you have to do a bunch of homework outside of just main campaign modes to get full context of what is happening in those stories. Furthermore, the in game reasoning for changing the art style was super lame, and a very poor cop-out explanation for things like Chief’s armor being different, etc. Going back to what the game is supposed to stylistically look like, while continuing to evolve the gameplay is exactly what should be happening. I just hope the campaign tells a complete story that you can understand with no additional novels, comic books, etc. 343’s visual reboot never should’ve happened. Instead, they should’ve continued to slowly evolve the overall formula. It’s not about “Nostalgia holding it back,” it’s about brand consistency. And I am quite frankly sick of being told to just “enjoy the older games.” There’s only so many of them, and there’s only so many times that you can play them through before you get bored of them, and then want more of that, with different little new twists or locations or characters. Reach was the last Bungie art style game, and that was TEN YEARS AGO. I’ve been playing the crap out of 1,2,3, ODST and Reach for TEN YEARS, because I don’t enjoy 4-5 at all. That’s what fans who are like me want. Some old and some new. A constant stream of the new, but also familiar. The way 4-5 look are not familiar to me—-couple that with the massive gameplay changes and it doesn’t even seem like I’m playing games in the same series. The Banished and quite frankly any other traditional species of Halo style enemy can fit in the original art style, it’s the Prometheans that will likely not fit in very well. And I’m ok with that too, because I don’t like fighting them. They are a chore and a slog to fight through in campaign, there’s no interesting or fun elements of facing them and it feels even further removed from Halo. I would MUCH rather have a new twist on something old, for example: flying suicide grunts thrown by brutes, than have some boorish new enemies.
I'm not going to argue about the gameplay with you on this thread. We may agree or not on that, but I sudgest you find another thread for gameplay. I may be objective or subjective, but I won't say "this and that is what's supposed to be right" and everyone else is wrong. Let's be clear, when I say the old design is wrong, I do not mean 343 should keep the recent designs. Nor am I saying they should keep the Halo 4 and 5 art style. Not even the recent gameplay (or maybe yes, it depends on which parts of the gameplay we're talking about). The only reason I can find, in your comment, on why you want to keep the old desings is because of brand consistency. The rest is just "because I like it" or "because I don't like the other design". You're giving really no reason at all to use the old designs. You can still have new designs and keep the brand recognition in a few other designs, but you need to do it in a good way, not like in Halo Infinite where the weapons look from CoD, the Banished are gone, replaced by the Covenant again, the environment is no alien-like at all, but just a normal forest mixed with Minecraft blcks. The old art style you like so much is not back in Halo Infinite, surfaces were already worn out in Halo CE, there was more contrast, and in Halo Reach the art style is completely different from any previous Halo game, Reach is very dull and washed out. Halo 5's art style was in some ways closer to the older art style than Halo Reach's art style. The art style shown in the new Halo Infinite trailer is very flat instead. Not only that, I'd also argue that, if they were really trying to copy the old designs of the Covenant, then they didn't pull that off either. The Elites in the trailer don't look scary and big enough, the Brutes don't look ferocious enough, Grunts are a bit less clunky and less awkward, Jakals are skinnier than the originals. To me it keeps looking like people are attached to the old art style for no good reason other than nostalgia, I really didn't read any good reason.
Sunsdune wrote:
From what I understand , the Banished use equipment they accumulated over months/years of raiding Covenant stores and recruiting Covenant commanders and crews.....so it makes some sense that they use highly modified older model Covenant equipment and vehicles. After the mass EMP at the end of Halo 5 , it makes sense that the UNSC had to revert to older equipment stores that maybe weren't as effected by it , so even lore wise a return to the old art style makes some sense. I get the graphical fidelity and some character models aren't great , but halo was never a graphical power house. It's most stunning features historically have been the sky boxes. Also , we are still 3 months from having to go gold to be ready for a November launch , which is when most of that polish work is done. I don't trust or have much faith in 343 at this point , but let's atleast wait til the game is out before judging it.
Let me explain my self a bit more, lore is cool and designs should try and reflect the stories described in the lore, and so on, right. But design can not and should not try and tell every single bit of story in the lore. I'm not asking for a design that's completely based exclusively on the lore. Design should convey a general idea and put one or two questions in your mind like: "that Elite has some big spike on his back, was he a survivor from a surprise attck by a Wild Animal on the Halo ring?" or "that suicide Grunt has some big metal plates on his chest, maybe Grunts are dumb enough to think those will be enough to save them from the explotion?" and some stupid little stuff like that. But the general idea to convey is basically who they are. In Halo Infinite enemies look like the Covenant from before the schism, they do not look anything like the Banished. The weapons should look like pistols or shotguns made in the 2560 or in the 2525 at worst, in Halo Infinite they just look like human weapons made in the '90s. This was me trying to explain what the general principale of "a good designs tell a story" means to me. I do not think I ever said the design should follow the lore in a strict and perfect way. That said, you expressed your self in the best form possible, you explained the lore very nicely, and from what I gathered of your comment, as you've so clearly put it, it makes sense even in the lore for the Banished to use heavily modifyed versions of old assets, not straight up use plain old designs. If 343 tryes to cover this bad design with some lore excuse, the design should still convey, in some way, that these enemies are a particolar group of the Banished who have some morbid fashion desires or some other lore reasons. They're still part of the Banished.
Get rid of the distracting shield recharge effect and maybe I can focus on the other visuals.
Yeah that shield recharge was so distracting and looked terrible. I don't see why they felt the need for this animation. But if they must keep it, at least lower the opacity so it doesn't take away from what you're seeing. I highly doubt the UNSC would develop a visor that limits the Spartans field of view when the armor is recharging.
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
Trick question, It's not wrong.
There's really no question at all.
Exactly, it's definitely not wrong.

Glad we could see eye to eye on this, for a moment I thought you were serious!!
I see, you like to make jokes then.
I do, but using it to make a point as well.

As much as I liked the realism of 4&5, the older art direction was better, peaked at 3.

Plus, it's what the community at large want and they're not about to change the entire art style, so really the argument is irrelevant.
That's not making your point, that just sharing your subjective opinion on what you like. It's just like saying I love pizza. I can respect the fact that you like Bungie's art style and, in some ways, I prefer it too over 343's art style, but there's instances where Halo 4 and Halo 5 have better art style hands down. Yet I'm talking about designs, the covenant in particular. This post is not supposed to change anything in the game at all, it's made to give some objective reasons on why some desings are bad, so people in the Halo community can have more tools to discuss design constructively, and not just live in the past and say "I wanna go backward because I liked it better".
Nobody is saying that.

I'm all for meaningful discussion but this doesn't achieve anything, save for people who don't like hailing back to the older art style in whatever way or form banding together, going around in circles and discussing the finite details of what they do and don't like - which whilat I can reapect, IS pointless.

It won't change anything, it's just expressing an opinion for the sake of it. Plus, it eats up forum space and things that I'm sure you'd prefer to discuss more than this, get buried. It happens far too often.

Add to the fact that not only is this view/ topic not new by any means, it's yet another post on top of the hundreds we've already had about graphics/ art direction. The messages have been heard, 343 have responded, now how about we use time & effort on discussing other things?

For example, the 2nd QR code from the "Become/ Step inside" trailer & gif, are still unsolved. That's just one thing we know we haven't solved, there are likely still other things out there, 343 have said as much.

Tl:Dr Discussing opinions is fine, but sometimes, it's pointless spending time going over things just for the sake of it. No offence meant, just my honest opinion.

Have a nice day.
If you can't see the point of the discussion, I'm sorry for you, but that's your problem. The fact that most of the comments about the gameplay trailer are about the graphics, (including design) clearly means there still needs to be discussion around it. The hundreds of topics about this argument in this forum you mention ed are fourther proof of people willing to discusso the topic. At one point 343 changed the art style and design of Halo Infinite because of these disussions. You had it your way when the Halo community was at its lowest, it was easy then for a few hundreds of people to be called a majority and sway 343 into adopting the old art style. Which, by the way, they didn't manager to pull off at all, some design are old style, yes, but the art style is different from any Bungie's Halo. The flat color without contrast in the new trailer are a far cry from the older very contrasty art style. But the reality is: now that Halo has all this hype and this attention around it, the majority of comments from the expanded community about the art style are negative. While I think 343 would never go back on their decision of using dated design, because it would look stupid at this point, it will always worth it to point out their mistakes. Not for 343 to learn from those (343 only makes stupid decisions, always), but for the rest of the community to realize 343's mistakes.
The fact that 343 felt the need to revert back to the classic style should speak volumes on how bad their ''rendition'' of Halo's art style was. Again, the art style of 4 and 5 did not feel like a natural evolution of the original art style, it felt like one second, Master Chief had this awesome, sleek, and simple armor and the next he woke up looking like he entered a Chinese knockoff of Halo. If 343 had eased us into it, over time, maybe people would have given it a chance, but you can't tell me that this armor was the same as this armor, no amount of lore is going to convince me, that was the same Mark 6 armor. The art style change was too abrupt and most if not all of it was unnecessary change. It was changed for the sake of change rather than something that needed to change. Also yes its not back 100 percent, (well at least for the grunts, the Jackels, and Elites do seem to have reverted back from what I could see) this is a very good middle ground and could have been what 343 used to ease us into their art style but they didn't. Also, I am certain it would have taken a lot more than a "Few hundred" people to have swayed 343 to finally change the art style. I mean, they did not listen to us, throughout 4 and 5, so we had to -Yoink- for years to finally get it back, and it seems a little frustrating, that there are people -Yoinking!- that the art style looks classic when that is what it should have always looked like. Also, I can agree with the issues of the pop-ins and the fact that there is no grit on the armor's or weapons, so they look shiny, but that is just the lack of detail and textures, that is not the fault of the classic art style, it has always looked brighter, that was the vibrant feel of the classic art style that 343's style lost.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6