3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 8
surfer45 wrote:
Well if we actually look at HW2 the only things that were given the banished look were the brutes an
their vehicles/weapons and structures (which infinite could do better on structures) The elites and grunts still sported their original look just with shades of red and grey, and some art even depicted them as blue. Elites in the banished were just hired mercenaries with the shipmaster dude as their leader. So technically did they really have to follow the looks? I like the colors its easy to tell the ranks again and know when you are about to get dead.
Yeah, not to mention, most of the color scheme in that game, was due to keep things consistent, and to keep from confusing the player as to which units they can control. You can't just take a design in an RTS and bring it into the game, that was the only mistake (so far) I can see 343 doing by bringing in the Banished Phantom. You kind of have to( to a degree) redesign some things to get them to fit better in an fps setting. So the armor from that game was never going to be a point by point recreation.
There could be multiple versions of each design. IE, we saw a Banished phantom but we could also see a Covenant Phantom, Harbinger cruiser, etc. There is more than likely much more to this game than what was shown.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
surfer45 wrote:
Well if we actually look at HW2 the only things that were given the banished look were the brutes an
their vehicles/weapons and structures (which infinite could do better on structures) The elites and grunts still sported their original look just with shades of red and grey, and some art even depicted them as blue. Elites in the banished were just hired mercenaries with the shipmaster dude as their leader. So technically did they really have to follow the looks? I like the colors its easy to tell the ranks again and know when you are about to get dead.
Yeah, not to mention, most of the color scheme in that game, was due to keep things consistent, and to keep from confusing the player as to which units they can control. You can't just take a design in an RTS and bring it into the game, that was the only mistake (so far) I can see 343 doing by bringing in the Banished Phantom. You kind of have to( to a degree) redesign some things to get them to fit better in an fps setting. So the armor from that game was never going to be a point by point recreation.
There could be multiple versions of each design. IE, we saw a Banished phantom but we could also see a Covenant Phantom, Harbinger cruiser, etc. There is more than likely much more to this game than what was shown.
Oh, most definitely there is more we have not seen yet, which is why I wish this community would wait and let more be revealed, before, making final judgments. Its possible, the Brutes we saw, were more of the Infantry level Banished, and maybe the higher ones will will have the more spiky, gruesome armor. I mean we still need to see chieftains with the Hammer, Atriox's Chosen, and others, as well I I am certain Shipmaster has Elite Honour Guards, would be awesome to see those return.
Enrico 117 wrote:
I preface this by saying, even though I already made up my mind and won't buy, nor play Halo Infinite, I still have cared about Halo for the longest time. One of the many different reasons I won't play HI is the character design. I am not the biggest expert in design, but I like to think I know a thing or two, and one of the things I know quite well is storytelling is a fundamental aspect of good design. In particular, the old Covenant design was simple, purple and shiny because the religious cult of the Covenant values uniformity, rules, rigor, elegance, luxury and power (and things like that). The Banished are a high-tech, brutal, tactical coalition that uses rough edges, scrap metal and red color (if I'm not mistaken). The old design is out of place and confusing in this context. The old design tells the wrong story. This is bad design, it's fundamentally flawed. As much as you don't care about the lore, it's wrong and disrespectful to completely ignore it and tell a different story with your design. I'd like to hear from another concept artist or a character designer their take on this topic.
Does anyone else find it funny that there are people on here acting like they "won't buy, nor play Halo Infinite"? Can we stop kidding ourselves or lying to other people for someone unknown reason? Firstly, if you have Gamepass, you get the campaign. Secondly, multiplayer is confirmed to be free-to-play. There is no barrier to entry. Yes, those two things don't mean everyone is going to play Infinite, but you are posting on a Halo Infinite forum for Effs sake. You will play this game. See you on the battlefield, Spartan.

Love,
Maxammo365
C0RRuPTT wrote:
surfer45 wrote:
Oh, most definitely there is more we have not seen yet, which is why I wish this community would wait and let more be revealed, before, making final judgments. Its possible, the Brutes we saw, were more of the Infantry level Banished, and maybe the higher ones will will have the more spiky, gruesome armor. I mean we still need to see chieftains with the Hammer, Atriox's Chosen, and others, as well I I am certain Shipmaster has Elite Honour Guards, would be awesome to see those return.
Agreed. The fact that we have so much information before launch can cause argument among fans. I will never forget the first time I played The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I didn’t know anything about the game, but fell in love with the game as I spent more time learning about it in-game.
I genuinely dont understand why they didnt take the communities favorite race designs and put them into infinite. People HATED H4 & H5s elites and here we are. However, I do got to give credit where credits due, adding every variation of grunt (besides heretic) to infinite is pretty cool of them.
Infinite seems to be a mixture of old and new, truly. Just look at the enemy models. Grunts and elite minor, the red brute looks Halo 3 esque. You can’t win them all bro, this isn’t your game and you have to also keep in mind that creative people must express their creative liberties
That's my battle, creative people at 343 wanted the art style they created in H4 and H5 before they were forced by fans to revert to the old art style.
maxammo365 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
I preface this by saying, even though I already made up my mind and won't buy, nor play Halo Infinite, I still have cared about Halo for the longest time. One of the many different reasons I won't play HI is the character design. I am not the biggest expert in design, but I like to think I know a thing or two, and one of the things I know quite well is storytelling is a fundamental aspect of good design. In particular, the old Covenant design was simple, purple and shiny because the religious cult of the Covenant values uniformity, rules, rigor, elegance, luxury and power (and things like that). The Banished are a high-tech, brutal, tactical coalition that uses rough edges, scrap metal and red color (if I'm not mistaken). The old design is out of place and confusing in this context. The old design tells the wrong story. This is bad design, it's fundamentally flawed. As much as you don't care about the lore, it's wrong and disrespectful to completely ignore it and tell a different story with your design. I'd like to hear from another concept artist or a character designer their take on this topic.
Does anyone else find it funny that there are people on here acting like they "won't buy, nor play Halo Infinite"? Can we stop kidding ourselves or lying to other people for someone unknown reason? Firstly, if you have Gamepass, you get the campaign. Secondly, multiplayer is confirmed to be free-to-play. There is no barrier to entry. Yes, those two things don't mean everyone is going to play Infinite, but you are posting on a Halo Infinite forum for Effs sake. You will play this game. See you on the battlefield, Spartan.

Love,
Maxammo365
So many major changes there need to be in this game for me to try it, even for free. Moreover my HDD in my Xbox is full, I would need to delete some other game before trying Halo Infinite. If Halo Infinite is not better than the other games I have installed (like it isn't right now), feel free to check my service record this fall because I won't even bother.
Enrico 117 wrote:
Infinite seems to be a mixture of old and new, truly. Just look at the enemy models. Grunts and elite minor, the red brute looks Halo 3 esque. You can’t win them all bro, this isn’t your game and you have to also keep in mind that creative people must express their creative liberties
That's my battle, creative people at 343 wanted the art style they created in H4 and H5 before they were forced by fans to revert to the old art style.
For very good reasons, as I stated before. I am sorry if you preferred 343's version, but it just was not "Halo''. The art style tried to ''modernize'' Halo's look, and it failed. Everything was too clunky, slow, Spartan's felt like they should not even be able to move in most of the armor variants. The colors made most of the armor ''bleed'' together, making most armors blend in with the undersuit making it hard to really recognize the armors from a glance. It took away that individual look people could make for themselves and instead, just made most armors blend in, to the point, you might as well all be wearing the same armor. Just because it made the 4 and 5 look better (graphically) with fidelity, does not mean, the designs, and style we all grew up with should have been thrown to the wayside.
WSerg wrote:
It's difficult to pass judgement on a game without actually playing it first OP. If you're going to openly announce that you won't be playing 343's game, what incentive does 343 have to listen to your suggestions about how to improve their game?
this goes both ways... why would the developer listen to feedback of people who already announced they will buy the product regardless or even have already preorderd
i agree, that games (and movies/books etc.) shouldn't be judged before being released.

but i do believe, that by watching trailers and or listening to reviewers, who have similar taste, people can get enough information to make a good decision to buy or not. but that isn't before release... and with todays "culture" of changing games after release, it is still a gamble
I disagree. Games, Books, movies and so on should definitely be judged before launch. Thats entirely what trailers and flighting programs are used for.think back to the Sonic movie and his original design and compare it to the one we got come release day. That happened because of criticism and feedback from fans who didnt like what they saw from a beloved character. And no it does not go both ways. The developer entirely has incentive to listen to the fan that said they preordered the game because that is the audience he or she is trying to please. That is how they make sales. BY listening to the fans who are actually going to purchase your product instead of hearing out those who wont and never will. You make an active fanbase of people who will stick around after week 1 of launch is over. By listening to the non buyer side you end up with Halo 5. Remember that the buyer can always cancel a pre order but the person who says they arent buying it never had the pre order in the first place. thats the incentive for developers to listen to those who actually care about the game they are making.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
surfer45 wrote:
I would be happy if that was the case.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
surfer45 wrote:
You think 343 could manage to put all those things and design in one game? I don't know, you're giving them way more credi than I do. I don't trust them enough to think they would be capable of that.
Enrico 117 wrote:
For very good reasons, as I stated before. I am sorry if you preferred 343's version, but it just was not "Halo''. The art style tried to ''modernize'' Halo's look, and it failed. Everything was too clunky, slow, Spartan's felt like they should not even be able to move in most of the armor variants. The colors made most of the armor ''bleed'' together, making most armors blend in with the undersuit making it hard to really recognize the armors from a glance. It took away that individual look people could make for themselves and instead, just made most armors blend in, to the point, you might as well all be wearing the same armor. Just because it made the 4 and 5 look better (graphically) with fidelity, does not mean, the designs, and style we all grew up with should have been thrown to the wayside.
Dude you keep misunderstanding what I write. I wrote like 4 or 5 times I don't prefer 343's art style over the classic art style. Halo 4 and 5 have flawed designs. But the solution is not to go back indiscrimantely.
UgandaSan wrote:
WSerg wrote:
It's difficult to pass judgement on a game without actually playing it first OP. If you're going to openly announce that you won't be playing 343's game, what incentive does 343 have to listen to your suggestions about how to improve their game?
this goes both ways... why would the developer listen to feedback of people who already announced they will buy the product regardless or even have already preorderd
i agree, that games (and movies/books etc.) shouldn't be judged before being released.

but i do believe, that by watching trailers and or listening to reviewers, who have similar taste, people can get enough information to make a good decision to buy or not. but that isn't before release... and with todays "culture" of changing games after release, it is still a gamble
I disagree. Games, Books, movies and so on should definitely be judged before launch. Thats entirely what trailers and flighting programs are used for.think back to the Sonic movie and his original design and compare it to the one we got come release day. That happened because of criticism and feedback from fans who didnt like what they saw from a beloved character. And no it does not go both ways. The developer entirely has incentive to listen to the fan that said they preordered the game because that is the audience he or she is trying to please. That is how they make sales. BY listening to the fans who are actually going to purchase your product instead of hearing out those who wont and never will. You make an active fanbase of people who will stick around after week 1 of launch is over. By listening to the non buyer side you end up with Halo 5. Remember that the buyer can always cancel a pre order but the person who says they arent buying it never had the pre order in the first place. thats the incentive for developers to listen to those who actually care about the game they are making.
I'm fine with 343 not listening to my feedback, I gave up on them, they lost all my respect and I don't care about their opinion or their game anymore. I still didn't give up in the community tho.
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
I don’t give a -Yoink- about the lore, the game looks like it’s supposed to, and it looks fantastic and not whatever the -Yoink- the last two games were supposed to be, so I plan on buying it unless some other horrible news comes out regarding multiplayer or micro transactions
If you don't care about the lore, why do you care about the campaign at all? You should just play the multiplayer and enjoy older Halo campaigns, not hold back the new Halo for some nostalgic reasons. Imo Halo Infinite souldn't keep looking and feeling exactly like it's a game from 2006, there's already Halo MCC for that.
Instead of the approach I’ve been taking, which is defending my position, let me try to communicate the idea to you by instead asking you a question, which is : Why change anything or stray too far from the Bungie era designs in the first place? 343 picked up a continuation of a series but treated the art, gameplay, music, and story almost as if it were a reboot, which it’s not. I can’t think of a any reason anything should’ve been that drastically overhauled in the first place. And it would seem 343s only reasoning was “they didn’t want to be Bungie,” but that’s a rather conceited way to enter into a project where you are carrying on with what some other studio started.
Well, from "why change anything? " to "why stray too far?" there's quite the difference. It is a mater of interpretation, many fans see the old Halo games and see a cartoony game, but when I see the old Halo games I see an attempt to make a realistic game holded back by dated hardware. With the exception of Halo 3, it looks like to me that all Bungie's Halo got progressively darker and darker, and always more detailed and complex in art style. That may likely have been caused by advancements in console technology and game development. If you interpret Bungie's path in that way, it's almost expected to make the seequels darker, more detailed and realistic. (Halo 4 was not darker than Reach and that's a very good choice imo) . With the more realistic art style, the designs had to be more realistic too, so 343 tryed to design things in a more grounded way, almost like if those designs were taken from what they would looks like if they were present in real life. Did they take it too far? Yeah, a bit imo, but the direction was good. The biggest mistep was the design of the Prometheans. By the way Halo Reach designs were already quite different from classic designs. Change is always needed in some capacity unless you want the new game to be a copy of the previous one. A 19 years old design, held back by technology, kind of begs for some innovation.
I understand your logical progression but Bungie never let the cartoonish element go. They just got better at stylizing it and adding grit to appeal to both younger and older audiences. I don’t think they were ever held back, I think that CE and 2 looked exactly how they intended and ODST, 3 and Reach just improved on the formula.

If you want an example, and just imo what I think Halo should look like, let me point to Forge World on Halo Reach, along with that style for the covenant and UNSC. I think that is the ideal Halo look. And I don’t think I am alone in that regard at all.

I think to start there and take it forward with small details in Infinite would be the ideal. Brutes need details like skulls hanging from their armor, broken or dirty armor pieces. Beards, goatees, Mohawks, etc.

I think the classic style was intentional and it’s evolution was great all the way up until 4, at which point I think it completely jumped the shark. If you took Halo off the box art and title, and took out the characters of Master Chief and Cortana I don’t know if I’d even recognize it as Halo, I would probably think it was a fan made knock off in a call of duty engine.
WSerg wrote:
It actually does not go both ways if you want people to continue to play your games. 343i has a 10 year plan for this game, so keeping their loyal players involved in the game along with new players is a priority. If they didn't listen to their loyal players then they risk losing the players that actually care and would stick around more likely than new players. Losing a loyal person hurts them more than someone not ever playing their game.
Enrico 117 wrote:
una yp wrote:
wow all i can say op is you really stick to your guns huh. Just because you dont like something you wont play infinite at all? damn lol
I get where you are going, but we know nxt to nothing about halo infinite story yet. its set quite abit after halo 5 so we just don't know what has happened since. I'll play it b4 i give up on halo after an 8min videol lol
Those designs are just one of the many things I didn't like about the trailer, but those other things are my personal opinion and would be meaningless to most of you, I only pointed out what I feel is one of the most "objective" flaws. As I replied to another user before, only fools never change their mind and I will change my mind if something major changes, but given 343 track record I don't have any hope it will happen.
fair enough man. i personally have liked what 343i has done with halo bar h5. so with that in mind i feel they can deliver. I read all the books, comics ext and althouh i feel those things are important when it comes to being 100% to all that law going ito the games i've never really been to fussed as long as it stays roughly on those lines. but thats just me ofc everyone is different. bungie never linked all the law stuff from cannon outside of the games anyway.
Ezio Wolf wrote:
WSerg wrote:
It actually does not go both ways if you want people to continue to play your games. 343i has a 10 year plan for this game, so keeping their loyal players involved in the game along with new players is a priority. If they didn't listen to their loyal players then they risk losing the players that actually care and would stick around more likely than new players. Losing a loyal person hurts them more than someone not ever playing their game.
Loyal players have been around for 20 years almost, more and more of them are leaving. How long will they keep playing this game that looks and feels like a mix of the same old Halos they've been playing for so long? Surely is not the campaign that will make this game survive for 10 years. If this game really want to survive 10 years, then it needs to bring in new fans every day, like Fortnite, Rainbow Six, Apex, Destiny and other games as a service do. All those games brought in some innovation at least, what's innovative in the new Halo Infinite trailer they showed? I see Halo Infinite and I think: "well, I can see a better Halo design in Halo MCC, I can see a more cartoony design in Fortnite, I can see a more realistic art style in hundreds of other games, what's this design sopposed to appeal to? If I want to play a strategic shooter with pick-ups and map control I can play Halo 3, if I want to play a more frenetic shooter I can play Halo 5, if I want to use a grapling gun Apex, Ovewatch and Doom do it way better, who's this weird in between for? Where sprint and slides look quite useles and the grapling hook is a pick-up."
Dang you take this very seriously, I respect it. Personally though, i just think it looks good so I like it lol To be fair to Infinite though, there might be good reasoning there is a mix of different styles, we'll have to wait and see. If it does turn out that there is a good lore explanation for it, would you play it?
Enrico 117 wrote:
C0RRuPTT wrote:
surfer45 wrote:
You think 343 could manager to put all those things and design in one game? I don't know, you're giving them way more credi than I do. I don't trust them enough to think they would be capable of that.
Then what is the point of your criticisms? If you really don't want something to fail, because you care about it, then giving some trust to the developer is the only way, otherwise, any criticism is just pointless rants. Do you want Halo to fail? If not, then 343 has to be given some faith, otherwise their is no point in giving them criticism.
Enrico 117 wrote:
Enrico 117 wrote:
Dude you keep misunderstanding what I write. I wrote like 4 or 5 times I don't prefer 343's art style over the classic art style. Halo 4 and 5 have flawed designs. But the solution is not to go back indiscrimantely.
Then what would be the solution? The couldn't stick to ''their'' art style, as that is one of the main issues people had with their games, and going with another ''New'' art style would just cause the same issues to appear that their art style already caused. Going back to the more recognizable and beloved art style was a much more safer choice than keeping the art style, or creating another unrecognizable art style.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 8