Why it is wrong to use old designs

OP Enrico 117

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. ...
  6. 8
I wish they would use all species styles. H2, H3, and HR brutes should all be considered subspecies and be treated like how HR did Skirmishers and Jackels. Same with the Sangheili, the Bungie Elites and 343 Elites should be subspecies if Sangheili.
I'm pretty sure there are no subspecies of Brutes.

I think the best explanation for differing appearances is the simplest one: the Brutes on the front lines shave themselves so they have fewer places for the enemy to grab, and so they can better fit into their armour without pulling their hair out. These are the same reasons real-life soldiers have to wear their hair short.

The thing to keep in mind is that we never really see Halo 2's Brutes at the forefront of battle until they take the Elites' roles. Meanwhile, in ODST, all the Brutes you encounter, as in those deployed to the front lines, are mostly shaven. It's entirely possible that the Brutes that worked behind-the-scenes on High Charity and other places were not required to shave themselves, as they were not likely to see combat.

In Halo Wars 2 we see several different ways the Brutes wear their hair among the Banished. Some go partially shaven with it made up in some way (Atriox with drealocks), some going for a more natural look (Decimus going the Tartarus route) and others going for practicality and shaving themselves completely (Pavium, Voridus and various warriors).

Bottom line, I think it makes more sense for the Brutes to have style preferences, rather than sub-species.
Well they shouldn't have made these changes in third party media, if they can't explain them adequately in the games the series is based on, or make it work without bending backwards with retcons and excuses, but it's 343 we are talking about here.
I wish they would use all species styles. H2, H3, and HR brutes should all be considered subspecies and be treated like how HR did Skirmishers and Jackels. Same with the Sangheili, the Bungie Elites and 343 Elites should be subspecies if Sangheili.

I think the best explanation for differing appearances is the simplest one: the Brutes on the front lines shave themselves so they have fewer places for the enemy to grab, and so they can better fit into their armour without pulling their hair out. These are the same reasons real-life soldiers have to wear their hair short.

The thing to keep in mind is that we never really see Halo 2's Brutes at the forefront of battle until they take the Elites' roles. Meanwhile, in ODST, all the Brutes you encounter, as in those deployed to the front lines, are mostly shaven. It's entirely possible that the Brutes that worked behind-the-scenes on High Charity and other places were not required to shave themselves, as they were not likely to see combat.

In Halo Wars 2 we see several different ways the Brutes wear their hair among the Banished. Some go partially shaven with it made up in some way (Atriox with drealocks), some going for a more natural look (Decimus going the Tartarus route) and others going for practicality and shaving themselves completely (Pavium, Voridus and various warriors).

Bottom line, I think it makes more sense for the Brutes to have style preferences, rather than sub-species.
That's a creative take on it. I'm just picturing brutes scrumbling around to find a razor to trim their fur because they have a date, or shaving during Summer because it's too hot.
I think the design changes, for good or ill, are part of the "soft reboot" to give a more colorful CE-esque aesthetic; at least as far as enemy armor and weapons are concerned. It just needs to be explained in some way "that is friendly to new players" and doesn't sound like some lame cop out expository excuse for using blue and purple again ... "Why do the Banished look like the Covenant, Chief?"

"They must have raided some old Covenant gear again. Which is something they are known to do. You would know this if you played Halo Wars 2 and payed attention and if you're new to the franchise, this shouldn't be an issue, so why are we talking about it?"

"Because they don't look like the Banished."

"They look that way because it reminds me of the good old days, so shut up."

And the Brutes must be careful shaving because they shaved their snouts clean off.
Enrico 117 wrote:
I preface this by saying, even though I already made up my mind and won't buy, nor play Halo Infinite, I still have cared about Halo for the longest time. One of the many different reasons I won't play HI is the character design. I am not the biggest expert in design, but I like to think I know a thing or two, and one of the things I know quite well is storytelling is a fundamental aspect of good design. In particular, the old Covenant design was simple, purple and shiny because the religious cult of the Covenant values uniformity, rules, rigor, elegance, luxury and power (and things like that). The Banished are a high-tech, brutal, tactical coalition that uses rough edges, scrap metal and red color (if I'm not mistaken). The old design is out of place and confusing in this context. The old design tells the wrong story. This is bad design, it's fundamentally flawed. As much as you don't care about the lore, it's wrong and disrespectful to completely ignore it and tell a different story with your design. I'd like to hear from another concept artist or a character designer their take on this topic.
well said bro...
I like the return of the classic design but I want a good phantom, not a flying toy.
I like the return of the classic design but I want a good phantom, not a flying toy.
That we can destroy like in Halo 3 and Halo: Reach...

It's not just the hair. It's the body and face structures that change greatly as well. The halo 2 brutes had a stubborn face with a more humanoid jaw and were stickier built. The H3 brutes had a k9/bear like face and a slimmer build. The H:R brute were just... weird... the looked like a vampire body builder with covie tattoos.
It's difficult to pass judgement on a game without actually playing it first OP. If you're going to openly announce that you won't be playing 343's game, what incentive does 343 have to listen to your suggestions about how to improve their game?
I think this is also a good thing for 343 to look at. A lot of success comes from your showings for first impressions are important
For example Spiderman PS4 grabbed a lot of people and I personally know 25 people who picked up a PS4 just for that game, before the game even came out.
Gamers love gameplay and what they are visually looking at. Halo Infinite's display turned a lot of gamers off, myself included and I've been playing Halo all my life since CE. So if you not a Halo fan and saw this game you are going to laugh and keep it moving.
I think the design changes, for good or ill, are part of the "soft reboot" to give a more colorful CE-esque aesthetic; at least as far as enemy armor and weapons are concerned. It just needs to be explained in some way "that is friendly to new players" and doesn't sound like some lame cop out expository excuse for using blue and purple again ... "Why do the Banished look like the Covenant, Chief?"

"They must have raided some old Covenant gear again. Which is something they are known to do. You would know this if you played Halo Wars 2 and payed attention and if you're new to the franchise, this shouldn't be an issue, so why are we talking about it?"

And the Brutes must be careful shaving because they shaved their snouts clean off.
To me, if they need a lore excuse for those designs to make sense (even if it's as good and makes perfect logical sense as the dialogue you wrote), it's already a bad design philosophy.

It's not just the hair. It's the body and face structures that change greatly as well. The halo 2 brutes had a stubborn face with a more humanoid jaw and were stickier built. The H3 brutes had a k9/bear like face and a slimmer build. The H:R brute were just... weird... the looked like a vampire body builder with covie tattoos.
XD "a vampire body builder with covie tattoos". Yeah, I find Halo Reach's brutes to be odd too.

That would have made sense if they were an unorganized faction but that doesn't look like the case for me. If the Banished did raided some old Covenant gears, they would have made some changes and upgrades. So lore-wise, no I don't think design makes any sense. :/
Enrico 117 wrote:

XD "a vampire body builder with covie tattoos". Yeah, I find Halo Reach's brutes to be odd too.
They are the weirdest art choice in all of halo imo
themanss22 wrote:

That would have made sense if they were an unorganized faction but that doesn't look like the case for me. If the Banished did raided some old Covenant gears, they would have made some changes and upgrades. So lore-wise, no I don't think design makes any sense. :/
I know. They at least would have painted the stuff. I was mostly just making a joke about bad expository dialogue in video games. Especially if it's there to explain unnecessary changes.

If the game is meant for new players--hence the soft reboot--the insistence on a CE aesthetic to the extent of making the Banished look like the OG Covenant for the sake of nostalgia seems ... well, weird. New players didn't play CE and old players are us, trying to figure out why the Banished are wearing the wrong colors.

It's another artstyle>lore situation where the explanation is never going to be satisfactory because the motivation isn't story driven. It'll be like Halo 4 when Chief's armor changed for the sake of the new artstyle. Nanobots.
Unless they have a good reason we've yet to hear.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. ...
  6. 8