Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Why it's called halo infinite

OP WhoLikesChicken

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I've seen so many posts in the past month or so speedball why H6 is called Halo Infinite.

"It's campaign will be online only."
"It's going to feature everything that's been in halo."
"It's going to be open world."
Etc.

H5:
Spoiler:
Show
Its called Infinite cause it will be Infinitely fun.
A reason is that 343i did not want to go on with numeration, unlike, for example, final fantasy: after Halo Infinite ( 6 ), there will maybe be another chapter, but it would be ridiculous call it Halo 7. And then Halo 8, and so on.
’Infinite’ could be a reference to Infinity, which seems to be greatest stand against the Created, but it may also be ( and this is my opinion ) that the actual story never ends ( not in a bad way ): we see Cortana having the key to active Halo ring and also in Halo Wars 2 ending
Spoiler:
Show
"There are a million million worlds. All different. All similar."
If it is about Infinity (which I'm sure will be a major focus) you'd think they'd just call it Halo Infinity, not Infinite.
because halo 6 sounds to mainstream
Because it feels like something "spectacular", "epic", "The Grand Finale" of the Reclaimer Trilogy, etc.

'nuff said
Because it feels like something "spectacular", "epic", "The Grand Finale" of the Reclaimer Trilogy, etc.

'nuff said
Not nuff said, its called the Reclaimer SAGA, meaning it will get more then 3 games. 'nuff said
I never understood Bonnie Ross' excuse for dropping numbered titles because they dont want to be like Final Fantasy or because it sounds "ridiculous". People using that excuse obviously never played the series.

Them dropping the numbers makes it exactly that, and the naming convention now feels more like Call of Duty, Battle Field, Assassins Creed, AND Final Fantasy making the series more susceptible to memes and such. The thing that separates these games from Halo is that they're a "compendium" of different stories within alternate timelines or universes. Halo is not. Halo is one long continuity and I am of the opinion that they need the numbers (keep subtitles if they want) for the sake of limiting confusion among the casual audience and to keep that continuity in check. But they could also be doing this to soft or hard reboot the series, scrapping everything once again for a new story which us not a pleasant idea for me.

I cant tell you the amount of people who already think Halo 5 is a spinoff from the fact that the game had a subtitle alone. And the story in that game might as well have been a spinoff from how aweful and shallow it was.

Plus I don't think really think the title "Infinite" really has anything to do with the "Infinity" I honestly think 343 and Bonnie Ross were just looking to have a catchy name hence why they want to drop numbers in favor for subtitles. They admit they wouldn't have called Halo 4 what it is in favor of having a, "super kewl subtitle!" Looking back at Halo 5, did that game truly have anything to do with Guardians? No. And I feel like it'll be the same with Infinite, it's just something that rolls off the tongue and sounds "cool" like Black Ops or World at War.

If worse comes to worse though and the title does have a significance to the story than I pray to god it has nothing to do with time travel, alternate dimensions, and such. Otherwise it WILL become like Final Fantasy, Cod, Asscreed or whatever.

Personally I say stop with using pointless buzz words as naming conventions. Psychologically people dont really like this type of naming because it breaks continuity for people and decreases interest in the next film or game within a long running series. Take Alien "Covenant" or Terminator "Genisys" for example. It's like buying different volumes of an atlas without volume numbers to help direct continuity and starting from volume 1 is "The Modern Age", "Modern Age 2", "Neolithic Age", "Modern Age 3: Advanced Battles", "Modern Age 4: Dawn of Infinite Future", "Before the Modern Age: Stone Ages", "Modern Age: WW2: Combat Evolved. Blitzkrieg Edition", "Stone Ages 2: Sticks and Stones, Breaking Bones! Bonanza! Confusing mess right, this type of naming conventions started out as parody and now making it's way into normality and its personally annoying for me, and I'm sure most everyone else dont care or think it's cool, and that's totally fine. In the end it doesn't effect me, just something I find aggrevating nowadays.
Plus I don't think really think the title "Infinite" really has anything to do with the "Infinity"
I could at least partially agree with a lot of what your said until right here.

We may have to agree to disagree, but I think the probability of "infinite" as a title being connected to the Infinity is WAY higher, than "Infinite" just having nothing to do with the ship that has been a major part of the last two games story's.

Give game designers purposefulness a little more credit is all I'm saying...
It's called ‘Infinite’ because Bonnie Ross doesn't like numbers. Can't fault the logic; they intend to pump out as many of these things as possible, so it makes sense that they wouldn't want a constant reminder of how oversaturated the series is attached to the box. I'm sure the name also ties into the TV series in some capacity. They're really pushing the Infinity as their own personal version of the Enterprise.
I think they're going to build an entire Halo ring as an in-game asset. That's what I would do.
I don't have any proof, or any real reason to think so. Still, I've been expecting it since before Reach came out.
Canine252 wrote:
And infinite map!
I think it is not yet confirmed that the game will be called Halo Infinite when it comes out,read somewhere before that the name could change.But i would get the number 6 up front since it will be still focused on Master Chief.
Id rather it be called H6. Sounds more official. Infinity makes it sound like a spin off game. If they really want Infinity in the title then call it H6: Infinity.
I've always got the feeling as if they're mimicking Bungie's pre-Halo Marathon-Trilogy.

Marathon
Marathon 2: Durandal
Marathon Infinity

Halo (4)
Halo 5: Guardians
Halo Infinite

The only difference is that they couldn't just call their first game plain "Halo", because that one already existed, so they had to go with the number four. Then again, they could've, just like Doom...
Celestis wrote:
The only difference is that they couldn't just call their first game plain "Halo", because that one already existed, so they had to go with the number four. Then again, they could've, just like Doom...
Technically there is no game called simply "Halo". Halo 1 is officially "Halo: Combat Evolved". Colloquially it's referred to as Halo, Halo 1, and "the first Halo", but "Halo" alone hasn't been officially used.

DOOM (2016) can share it's name with the original Doom because it's a reboot of the franchise. There are some lore bits in the game that connect it to the original Doom games, but officially it's a reboot. If the Halo franchise ever gets a reboot, I would expect the first game of that series to be titled simply "Halo". But as Halo 4 was a direct sequel, going back to simply just "Halo" probably would have caused unnecessary confusion.
Dema343 wrote:
Canine252 wrote:
And infinite map!
Huh?
One thing I think no one is considering is that Halo Infinite could, potentially, be the last Halo title. And I mean that as, the last separate Halo game. It's called "Infinite" because it never actually ends. Multiplayer maps are constantly released and the gameplay constantly tweaked, and while the game has a complete story, more story will continuously be added as time goes on, replacing the need for a Halo 7, or treating it more like an MMO where you get free content drops that add smaller story beats, and then one big paid expansion that encompasses the story of Halo 7, rinse and repeat as long as you want. Basically think of Halo Infinite as an ever growing platform. It's not like Destiny, which is an MMO-lite. Not like that. It's not shared world, not an MMO, not an RPG, not open world, but it takes cues from MMO's on how to deliver content to players, a service game. And like some MMO's, the Xbox One version might eventually be dropped if they decide to try and do something the Xbox One can't handle.
One thing I think no one is considering is that Halo Infinite could, potentially, be the last Halo title. And I mean that as, the last separate Halo game. It's called "Infinite" because it never actually ends. Multiplayer maps are constantly released and the gameplay constantly tweaked, and while the game has a complete story, more story will continuously be added as time goes on, replacing the need for a Halo 7, or treating it more like an MMO where you get free content drops that add smaller story beats, and then one big paid expansion that encompasses the story of Halo 7, rinse and repeat as long as you want. Basically think of Halo Infinite as an ever growing platform. It's not like Destiny, which is an MMO-lite. Not like that. It's not shared world, not an MMO, not an RPG, not open world, but it takes cues from MMO's on how to deliver content to players, a service game. And like some MMO's, the Xbox One version might eventually be dropped if they decide to try and do something the Xbox One can't handle.
Yup, you are WAAAY over thinking this.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2