Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Why the Beam Rifle should not be in Infinite

OP RegentTitan453

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Ever since Halo 2, the Beam Rifle has been an iconic addition to the Covenant arsenal. This worthy weapon has been used countless times by the most dreaded of all adversaries: THE JACKAL SNIPER!!!!!!!!!! D: (scream in background)

As most Halo players know, the Beam Rifle and the Sniper Rifle have been at each others necks for years. The UNSC Sniper Rifle has 4 bullets per stock and the Covenant Beam Rifle has 2 bullets(really beams but I will go with this) before over heating. If the Beam Rifle delays its second shot, it's heat resets and it can fire more rounds without reloading. While the Sniper Rifle needs no delay, it just outright has 4 shots till reload. Another cute little detail, the Beam Rifle cannot refill on shots once it runs out, once your done, your done. While the Sniper Rifle has the option to refill on ammo.

I know what you are thinking: "THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU! WHYYOU BULLYDEBEAMRIFLE WASN'TTHE BR ENOUGH? I'M GON-" .......Okaaay.....So before you tear my head off, throw it out the window, feed it to some brutes, stick it with a plasma grenade, and throw the remaining ashes into the Gravemind's mouth, hear me out.

My problem does not lie with the ammo differences, because I believe that this is not enough. My problem is that the ammo differences is IT! There are almost zero differences between the Sniper Rifle and the Beam Rifle other than cosmetically and cooling/reload differences. When it comes to kill rate, they kill the EXACT SAME! One head-shot or two body-shots. The Beam Rifle simply overheats from two body-shots. While the Sniper Rifle could do it twice. So another problem that I have with the Beam Rifle is that it pretty much is simply the worse gun. If the weapon designers had been more ambitious, the Beam Rifle would have enough differences to make it more unique to the Sniper Rifle. But since they did not, we are stuck with a gun that in most situations is simply worse. While the Beam Rifle simply needs to wait a split second for that extra shot to cool. That split second is something that you may not have, but that the SR gives you.

My solution is rather simple: revive an old, worn, forgotten gun that replaced it a decade ago. That's right, the Focus Rifle. By all accounts, the Focus Rifle could be made into a unique sniper rifle that with a tiny buff, could become a loved and popular gun. It's prolonged laser effect makes it a rather unique gun, only the Sentinel Beam has ever shown any similarity. But there are key differences, (A) the Sentinel Beam is really just a laser turret without the speed decrease effect, while the Focus Rifle is an accuracy, long range weapon. and (B) the Sentinel Beam is a pretty rare weapon, found...well....on sentinels, while the Focus Rifle could be found on Elites and Jackals, two very common enemies. In multiplayer, it would allow more differences to the Sniper Rifle and fill a unique slot in the weapons sandbox.

In my opinion, many weapons introduced in Halo 2 were unneeded and unbalanced. The Beam Rifle was one of these. While it is very iconic, it's not as needed for the sandbox as many other weapons. From a lore perspective, the Focus Rifle would make just as much sense.

So, will I be executed for heresy("Take care Arbiter. What you speak is heresy!"), or do you see my viewpoints and concede that the Beam Rifle can either (A) go soak it's head and leave the game completely, or (B) transform into something else and fill a different role.
what about a charge up effect instead like a rail gun.so have it has the option to fire like the og one or have a charged up burst
My biggest issue with weapons in Halo... is the ammo capacity, its too low. It forces me to change weapons more frequently then I'd like.
The Halo beam rifle is one example of my issues... ten shots and done. I wish they could balance these games around the campaign
and not the multiplayer. What's my proof of this... look at the gameplay styles when you play multiplayer.. its also about empowerment and making you feel like badass... while forcing you to quire new weapons quickly to keep things interesting.
Shepard761 wrote:
My biggest issue with weapons in Halo... is the ammo capacity, its too low. It forces me to change weapons more frequently then I'd like.
The Halo beam rifle is one example of my issues... ten shots and done. I wish they could balance these games around the campaign
and not the multiplayer. What's my proof of this... look at the gameplay styles when you play multiplayer.. its also about empowerment and making you feel like badass... while forcing you to quire new weapons quickly to keep things interesting.
One of the beautiful, defining characteristics of Halo that separates it from COD and Battlefield is that no single weapon can carry you safely out of a battle. Halo has always enforced that you have to switch weapons in order to achieve the fastest kills possible. For example, the infamous Noob Combo, is a pair of weapons that, while alone they can only do so much, yet together they pretty much become a straight up CHEAT! This weapon combo is made up of a full charge of the Plasma Pistol, a quick weapon switch, and then a single shot with the Magnum. The Plasma shot completely destroys the shield, while the Magnum headshot finishes the job. Halo expects you to do this, yet if you split a task between two weapons, both have less ammo taken from a kill which preserves both guns for further firefights. Another reason is BALANCE. Another defining characteristic that separates Halo from COD and Battlefield is that Halo takes weapon balance very seriously. If you think about it, most Halo weapons can't fight back against the Sniper Rifle and the Beam Rifle until they get within close range. So a guy that knows how to shoot and gets his hands on a Sniper Rifle has two limitations. Other snipers, and ammo. The Sniper Rifle can refill on ammo, while the Beam Rifle cannot. This is the key feature that makes the Beam Rifle a worse weapon. One of the reasons that I feel it should be replaced. Yet if you gave it more shots, then you would be in danger of releasing trouble for anyone without a long range weapon. I feel that any two weapons that share a role should differ in three characteristics. (A) Shots needed to kill. (B) Shots given before reload or cooldown. And (C) Weird ability's and functions to make the weapon feel unique. The Beam Rifle failed in two of these. (A) and (C). The Beam Rifle killed in the same amount of time, so (A) is busted. And the Beam Rifle has no strange effects or functions that make it feel very different from the Sniper Rifle. The Focus Rifle would fill in every single one of these.
what about a charge up effect instead like a rail gun.so have it has the option to fire like the og one or have a charged up burst
My problem with this is that it would feel like a weird long range Plasma Pistol. Not unique enough for my tastes. But the idea has merit if it was tweaked into something new. :)
I honestly can't imagine the Beam Rifle has that big a fan base outside of just looks. I know some folks coming off of Reach complained that the Focus Rifle wasn't as good as the sniper rifle, but I feel like they were missing the point. The various factions don't need 1:1 equivalents to build a sandbox full of useful weapons.

The Focus Rifle is just a better, more interesting option. The more asymmetry the better. Forgetting the Beam Rifle for a second imagine if the plasma pistol was just a green Magnum with the 2x scope, was headshots capable, etc, would folks be fine with that? How much less interesting would the Halo sandbox be if just about every Covenant weapon was little more than a battery based version of its UNSC counterpart? But that is exactly what the Beam Rifle is.

Otherwise in order to fix the Beam Rifle properly you would have to change it so much that it might as well not be the beam rifle anymore(which would be fine by me.)

The only wrinkle that comes to mind is what to do with the Sentinel Beam if we also have the Focus Rifle, but I think someone in this thread already has an solution we could use.
I don't think you were talking about the Sentinel Beam, but I do think your suggestion would be a good fit all the same making the sentinel beam a charge based weapon ala railgun.
The thing for me is that yes functionally they are the same but that was also the point. Since H2 the weapons were designed to fill roles that the UNSC and the covenant would have. For example:
Primary rifle - AR and plasma rifle. The of course the repeater and storm rifle took over for the covenant.
Close quarters - shotgun, sword and hammer
Mid range - BR and carbine. DMR and needle rifle.

I understand where you're coming from but I feel the beam rifle still holds a place. Ever since it appeared its had the higher fire rate of the two so, imagine two players, one with the sniper and one with the beam rifle. Both have imense range and can 2 shot. Now imagine they both get the first shot on each other at the same time. The beam rifle can fire off first and win but, should hthe user miss then he overheats and is vulnerable to 3 sniper rounds. The brief pause a beam rifle can take to safely fire more leaves the user vulnerable to the second sniper round.
So the beam rifle has a risk reward factor to it whereas the sniper is just a normal 4 round sniper. That's where it differs and that subtle difference can make or break a long range fight.

So to conclude this point. Should the Beam rifle appear along side the UNSC sniper? Well to say it should is down to opinion, I feel it could sit comfortably as an alternative.

The focus rifle however. I think it shouldn't be a true laser. It's a plasma stream right? It should have a small delay in the speed making it so you have to lead your target ever so slightly. You know the scarab beam or the hunter cannons (not the fuel rod one the other one) it should function like that but fast enough for it to be long range capable
But what about the sentinel beam I hear you ask? How would it differ to the focus rifle? Well that can be a true laser as the forerunners technology is much more refined than the covies. It would lack the scope and require more precision as the laser would be thinner but have a higher damage as the energy is focused more on a smaller point. Or lower damage as you don't need to lead your target and the laser is smaller I'll let you decide that.
I don't really see an issue with different factions having weapons filling similar roles when it comes to dispatching infantry, beam rifle just seems better suited to campaign which has more various infantry targets where the damage variation would have bigger difference, though beam rifle could get added boost to shielded vehicle damage, or to something that has certain type of plating.
I think the Beam Rifle is just different enough to be worth keeping. Maybe it could have some more tweaks to make it even more unique but I really don't think its necessary.
The Focus Rifle could come back too but I personally would like to see some tweaks for it. Maybe like Banana InATux77 was saying.
Another difference between the beam and sniper rifle is you can get off two shots quicker than a sniper rifle but then it overheats, so you can actually kill faster with it if you're not hitting the head.

Personally the differences are big enough for me that's it's not just a reskin gun, I'd rather it stay. It's a covenant sniper I don't want it to function drastically different from the UNSC sniper. Just different enough that it's not the same gun and then we have the variety with UNSC and Covenant which I really like.

I think the Promethean sniper kinda servers as your focus rifle, I'm forgetting what it's called. You know the one that shoots a stream for a bit instead of an instant single "bullet".
Another difference between the beam and sniper rifle is you can get off two shots quicker than a sniper rifle but then it overheats, so you can actually kill faster with it if you're not hitting the head.

Personally the differences are big enough for me that's it's not just a reskin gun, I'd rather it stay. It's a covenant sniper I don't want it to function drastically different from the UNSC sniper. Just different enough that it's not the same game and then we have the variety with UNSC and Covenant which I really like.

I think the Promethean sniper kinda servers as your focus rifle, I'm forgetting what it's called. You know the one that shoots a stream for a bit instead of an instant single "bullet".
A slightly different rate of fire doesn't change how you use the weapon to any serious degree. Anyone who can use the Sniper Rifle can use the Beam Rifle just as effectively and vise-versa. For the life of me I don't understand why you would want the Covenant sniper to function so similarly to the UNSC Sniper.

Would it be fine then if the plasma pistol had a 2x scope, fast projectiles, and was headshot capable instead of what we usually get? I mean it could have a higher rate of fire and would be battery based so that makes it different enough from the Pistol right?

Imagine now if the sword and hammer were replaced by Covenant shotguns, how much less interesting would the Covenant be?
I'm not sure replacing the Beam Rifle with the Focus RIfle is a controversial idea, unless I'm totally out of touch with the community. As WerepyreND said, the Focus Rifle is the more interesting weapon of the two. If we want a more richer, more varied weapon sandox that minimizes redundancy, the Focus Rifle should absolutely be the Covenant sniper weapon if there is one.
WerepyreND wrote:

Personally the differences are big enough for me that's it's not just a reskin gun, I'd rather it stay. It's a covenant sniper I don't want it to function drastically different from the UNSC sniper. Just different enough that it's not the same game and then we have the variety with UNSC and Covenant which I really like.

A slightly different rate of fire doesn't change how you use the weapon to any serious degree. Anyone who can use the Sniper Rifle can use the Beam Rifle just as effectively and vise-versa. For the life of me I don't understand why you would want the Covenant sniper to function so similarly to the UNSC Sniper.

Would it be fine then if the plasma pistol had a 2x scope, fast projectiles, and was headshot capable instead of what we usually get? I mean it could have a higher rate of fire and would be battery based so that makes it different enough from the Pistol right?

Imagine now if the sword and hammer were replaced by Covenant shotguns, how much less interesting would the Covenant be?
Nope I wouldn't like any of those changes. I just like the Beam Rifle the way it is, not every gun has to have a drastically different function for me to enjoy them. I'm fine with multiple guns occupying the same roles like the sniper and beam as long as they're at least slightly different and from different factions. Then they can add new weapons on top of that like the Focus Rifle. I wouldn't want the focus rifle to completely replace the beam rifle just because it's similar to the sniper.
WerepyreND wrote:

Nope I wouldn't like any of those changes. I just like the Beam Rifle the way it is, not every gun has to have a drastically different function for me to enjoy them. I'm fine with multiple guns occupying the same roles like the sniper and beam as long as they're at least slightly different and from different factions. Then they can add new weapons on top of that like the Focus Rifle. I wouldn't want the focus rifle to completely replace the beam rifle just because it's similar to the sniper.
They aren't "slightly different" they are virtually identical. Its effectively a purple sniper rifle. There are only so many spaces in the sandbox that 343 can realistically fill with the time and resources they have and I don't see much value in having reskins taking up space that could be otherwise be filled by weapons that have unique mechanics and still fill the same role in the narrative. The Beam Rifle isn't the only problem area.

If we are not going to leverage our fantastic sci-fi setting to create weapons that play as different as they look then why bother with it at all.
WerepyreND wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:

They aren't "slightly different" they are virtually identical. Its effectively a purple sniper rifle. There are only so many spaces in the sandbox that 343 can realistically fill with the time and resources they have and I don't see much value in having reskins taking up space that could be otherwise be filled by weapons that have unique mechanics and still fill the same role in the narrative. The Beam Rifle isn't the only problem area.

If we are not going to leverage our fantastic sci-fi setting to create weapons that play as different as they look then why bother with it at all.
Agree to disagree. I've stated my opinion on it and I'd just be continously repeating myself. It's obvious we just think about it differently and have different opinions on the matter, that's fine.
Well i actually think the idea should be that they balance each other in role.. but vary differently in functionality... the covanant and unsc weapons.
So we have close quarters: sword and Shotgun, they function very very differently , and fill similar roles. An engagement of the two requires some planning in engagement for the sword, and keeping a bit of distance if you have the shotgun... and carefully utilizing timing.
We have light arms: plasma pistol and magnum... the same thing... one is very effective against shields at close range, the other is effective against no sheilds at longer ranges.
We have heavy anti armor arms: The rocket launcher... and uhh... well yea... this one needs change imo. The fuel rod doesnt function that differently to the rocket launcher... unless... it was more bombardment based... like the wraith motar. Or perhaps if they had the halo 2 hunter weapon... assault beam cannon.... that id think is better fitting for a difference. the plasma cannon (i think that wat it was called) from halo reach also is sufficiently different.
And we have ranged: the sniper rifle and... well ye... the focus rifle is a more welcome addition for diversity in my opinion.

BUT we have to also think about other weapons in the sandbox and other factions... Like brutes... and sentinels... and promethean...
this makes things a hell of alot more complicated... cuz
A sentinel beam is just like a focus rifle...
An smg and assault rifle arent that different to begin with .. throw in the suppressor , plasma rifle/storm rifle.. and spiker.... you get a very diluted and cluttered sanbox there.

SO ... what it comes down to I believe is to think about how these factions function in their own reality, and how they probably would overcome their challenges in their world... inspiring their weapon designs and roles to be unique to those factions, and having them function as true to their own cultures and technological advancements as possible.

Id say prometheans/sentinels use light technologies... as in hardlight and beams... maybe even some space warping. Direct energy weapons. They are instantanious... unlike the plasma of the covanant, and the lead of humans... however their leathality is over time unless charged in a burst. These have the longest range. Because of their ranged weaponry, they dont have to worry as much in the department of defense... their armor is weak, and their reaction in combat isnt the best. In encountering these enemies, its good to close the distance. Their weapons are indiscriminate towards sheilds and armor, and health. Charged bursts and constant beams are how we have seen them

The covanant have plasma weaponry which have high damage output but at close range rather quickly... however they overheat. They may reach long range, but their projectiles take longer to reach. They overcome the problem of distance with heavy armor, speed, and stealth technologies. Encountering these enemies, its good to keep the distance. Iconic uses of their weapons include plasma beams, plasma motars, and plasma bolts, plasma swords... etc
Their weapons excell against sheilds

Brutes, brutes have their own unique weapons and vehicles , suited for close range combat especially up close and personal. Their bodies suited for the rough... and their attitude as thick as their fur.... thier weapons are excel in the department of health ... how ever they are significantly less effective at shields... and while their range isnt the worse... their accuracy certainly is the worst. Explosives and sharpnel and gravity weaponry are iconic to them .

Unsc lies somewhere in the middle of all this. Rockets, bullets, and shells. Their weaponry excels in almost every way on average. The shotgun is arguable the best close range. The sniper is arguably the best long range. the rocket launcher is arguably best anti armor. Each weapon excelling in its niche, but in other situations will most likely lose a confrontation. rocket launcher versus a sentinel beam at long range... you know who wins.
The focus rifle sucked. The beam rifle works well in it's intended space for it's intended purpose. Keep it.
I fail to see the reason why having a Covenant equivalent of what the UNSC had as being a bad thing??? The Beam Rifle was always my favorite over the UNSC Sniper, though I do like both. And if you want a laser sniper we already have one thanks to 343i changing it; the Binary Rifle. Sniper lasers are annoying imo, so no, no Focus Rifle from me. The Beam Rifle is fine just the way it is and should not be replaced.
I fail to see the reason why having a Covenant equivalent of what the UNSC had as being a bad thing??? The Beam Rifle was always my favorite over the UNSC Sniper, though I do like both. And if you want a laser sniper we already have one thanks to 343i changing it; the Binary Rifle. Sniper lasers are annoying imo, so no, no Focus Rifle from me. The Beam Rifle is fine just the way it is and should not be replaced.
Because its boring and we could fill that slot with something more unique? Fair enough if you don't like the focus rifle specifically, but keeping the beam rifle unchanged just leaves us with a shallower sandbox than we could have otherwise had.

Personally I want the different weapons in the sandbox to be more than just window dressing for the other factions.
WerepyreND wrote:
Because its boring and we could fill that slot with something more unique? Fair enough if you don't like the focus rifle specifically, but keeping the beam rifle unchanged just leaves us with a shallower sandbox than we could have otherwise had.

Personally I want the different weapons in the sandbox to be more than just window dressing for the other factions.
That's fine if it's what you want, but no matter what we want at the end of the day if it's not needed it won't happen. We've been fine with the Beam Rifle for this long and from what I've seen the Focus Rifle wasn't exactly given a positive response back in Reach days.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2