Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Why the name: Infinite?

OP Lanzerat

So I just thought about the name and I started to wonder what this could mean for the game.
Personally I think it will mean Infinite gameplay as in all the options we will have or that it's an open world game.

what do you guys think of why Halo 6 will have the name: Infinite?
Lanzerat wrote:
So I just thought about the name and I started to wonder what this could mean for the game.
Personally I think it will mean Infinite gameplay as in all the options we will have or that it's an open world game.

what do you guys think of why Halo 6 will have the name: Infinite?
I've been thinking about this as well. With all the other hints - RPG elements, rapid addition of content - its not outside the realm of possibility that this would be an open world game. This is something I would love to see myself.
Because it's a trendy name.
It could be anything at this point, since the only thing that we have seen so far is nothing more than a tech demonstration. My guess is that this will be a live service game of some sort, where they will keep adding new features and offer regular updates etc. This would give the game a very long life span, hence the name infinite. But it could also just be named after the ship infinity or something, or perhaps they just liked the name, who knows.
Karim wrote:
Because it's a trendy name.
Could be more to it because Halo 5 had it's name based on what we saw in the campaign: Guardians.
It's just the replacement for the number 6, but only time will tell us what it actually means.
Infinite. Never ending OR going on forever.

Halo Infinite clearly set on a Halo ring. Rings go round and round forever with no end.

Let's say Infinite is an open world game. The name would fit.
I’m sure it will have to do with some aspect of the story, similar to Halo 5 Guardians.

Bioshock is a franchise that got the subtitle “Infinite” in one of its games, but it was a reference to the story, not the gameplay. Bioshock Infinite was a linear FPS just like it’s predecessors.
I feel like it's in reference to this being an open world game. Could be wrong though, we'll have to wait and see.
Chimera30 wrote:
I’m sure it will have to do with some aspect of the story, similar to Halo 5 Guardians.

Bioshock is a franchise that got the subtitle “Infinite” in one of its games, but it was a reference to the story, not the gameplay. Bioshock Infinite was a linear FPS just like it’s predecessors.
Calling it now that in Halo Infinite MC finds a a Forerunner cloning facility where Cortana is cloning "infinite" amounts of him as a boy and try to raise him differently from Halsey. He then has to fight wave after wave of himself as a child before finally beating Cortana.
Chimera30 wrote:

Calling it now that in Halo Infinite MC finds a a Forerunner cloning facility where Cortana is cloning "infinite" amounts of him as a boy and try to raise him differently from Halsey. He then has to fight wave after wave of himself as a child before finally beating Cortana.
Wow, that's intense
Infinite. Never ending OR going on forever.

Halo Infinite clearly set on a Halo ring. Rings go round and round forever with no end.

Let's say Infinite is an open world game. The name would fit.
This was my thoughts. I hope this is the case. I would love to explore a halo ring. :D
Chimera30 wrote:

I think you’re absolutely right. Infinite will tie into the story in some way.

My insane guess? We finally get canon confirmation that the Halo Universe is one of the many many alternate universes visited in Marathon Infinity. The Cortana Letters finally fully pay off all these years later.
I figured it had something to do with Infinity. You know, the ship that's kind of important?
Infinite grind? Infinite reqs? 😉
The last halo on Xbox one hardware , so for the foreseeable future , it is infinite. The next Halo will not run on Xbox one hardware and will require Scarlet or whatever it will be called. Also seeing as this is something of a soft reboot , I believe it will be the end of Chief and Cortanas story Arc and possibly the end for both characters. Which means it will be forever remembered by Halo fans ; whether it is a good game or not ; for simply being the end of an era.

The ring theory above by JenguBlocku is quite good also.

Unfortunately , Steve (Downs , The voice of Chief) is getting up their in age and with Halo trying to branch out onto Television or movie screens they kind of need a younger actor to portray the main Protagonist. Yes i know they could get whoever to play the guy in the suit and have Steve voice him , but that effects the actors around the body double as the lines aren't delivered the same (tone , cadence , delivery) , it creates a dichotomy that can comes across in the final product. It would make far more sense if they were to follow a younger Spartan on the show/movie , and move him/her over as the games main protagonist after Infinite.
Originally I thought because of the importance of the Infinity, but why wouldn't they just call it Halo Infinity then? As of now I really can't say, not enough to go on.
Perhaps a step into "games as a service". A never ending game, persistent updates, expansions and DLC for multiplayer/campaign.

Combat Evolving into infinite possibilities.
maybe this is the end of chief's story and maybe he dies but is always there and living in the games past so he is "infinite"