Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Why was chief floating?

OP Prophet of Cava

Can anyone explain to me why Master Chief was seen floating outside the pelican in the trailer? The ending of 5 is the reunion between chief and Halsey. Am i missing something?
There's a gap between the ending of 5 and this. I doubt it'll be covered in Infinite since events after five are already covered in Bad Blood.
I’m sensing 0 continuity here. Between 5, wars 2, and now infinite
It’s a time skip, clearly. Often used in stories when the middle ground isn’t too exciting or distracts from the story being told. E.g. chief getting on a plane from sanghelios to a new sector of the galaxy with a halo ring, it’ll be about as exciting to watch as a car ride. The whole destruction and UNSC forces in trouble around the halo ring is set up more so like an epilogue and I suspect that knowing what truly happened could ruin any major spoilers or surprises later down in infinite. Overall it’s a writing technique to make things seem more interesting.
I’m fairly convinced that floating in space is just him getting downtime before his next adventure really kicks into gear. Also, he just likes dramatic entrances
“Soon Halo’s reclamation will begin, but when it does, the weight of your denial will stay your feet, and you shall be left behind ”
Can anyone explain to me why Master Chief was seen floating outside the pelican in the trailer? The ending of 5 is the reunion between chief and Halsey. Am i missing something?
"We lost! We lost everything".....quote from the guy on the trailer. Pretty sure that means Infinity was most likely destroyed. I suspect Cortana's new Covenant completely wrecked the Infinity, didn't stand a chance. At least I hope so since that ship was way too overpowered.
In the bootup sequence you can see that it states GEN III mk VI last modified by Dr. Halsey in 2561 (three years after halo 5)

Def a timeskip.
In the bootup sequence you can see that it states GEN III mk VI last modified by Dr. Halsey in 2561 (three years after halo 5)

Def a timeskip.
Interesting, didn't notice that before. Makes me wonder if things have changed with Halsey since they didn't seem to respect her much in 4,5 and I suspect they maybe treating her a bit differently because now they need all the help they can get, with the destruction....makes me wonder where she is.
Probably got blown off the halo ring when it broke.
Given what we know, we can't say why he was floating. The trailer seems to imply something bad happened and that's why he was floating and this mysterious pilot is also kind of wandering around alone. I'm sure it will be a quick exposition point in Halo Infinite.
There's a lot of things going on that's unexplained and also too early to tell what is happening. I mean, what can we gather from chief floating in space next to a blown up halo ring? And who shut the pelican down? There's hundreds of theories.
He iN sPaCe.
I was wondering the same thing. Might be time to look into the books a bit and see if there's any sort of bridge between gaps between the end of Halo 5: Guardians and what we witnessed in the E3 2019 Halo Infinite trailer.
I was wondering the same thing. Might be time to look into the books a bit and see if there's any sort of bridge between gaps between the end of Halo 5: Guardians and what we witnessed in the E3 2019 Halo Infinite trailer.
Save your time, because there isn't.
Currently there aren't any master chief-related post-h5g stories in any of the current books.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
Currently there aren't anymaster chief-related post-h5g stories in any of the current books.
Halo: Bad Blood takes place right after the events of Halo 5: Guardians. Holiday 2020 is a long way off, I'm sure we'll see something between now and then.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
Currently there aren't anymaster chief-related post-h5g stories in any of the current books.
Halo: Bad Blood takes place right after the events of Halo 5: Guardians. Holiday 2020 is a long way off, I'm sure we'll see something between now and then.
I know about bad blood, it was a good read but it focused on Buck and Alpha Nine
and didn't tell anything related to the Chief and his whereabouts.

Furthermore, I doubt we'll see much story-related intel about HI after H5G's story-marketing, lol
and I can't say I'd dislike it if they would keep most the story for themselves until release.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
SMOK69KMK wrote:
I know about bad blood, it was a good read but it focused on Buck and Alpha Nine and didn't tell anything related to the Chief and his whereabouts.
That's fair but at least it's something. I'm sure there will be another book or something that will be released that will link the events between Halo 5: Guardians and Halo infinite. There's not a ton of Halo fans who take the time to read the books so if I had to guess, we'll probably see something like promo clips or terminal videos similar to what Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary did with each terminal having a clip leading up to Halo 5's release.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
SMOK69KMK wrote:
I know about bad blood, it was a good read but it focused on Buck and Alpha Nine and didn't tell anything related to the Chief and his whereabouts.
That's fair but at least it's something. I'm sure there will be another book or something that will be released that will link the events between Halo 5: Guardians and Halo infinite. There's not a ton of Halo fans who take the time to read the books so if I had to guess, we'll probably see something like promo clips or terminal videos similar to what Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary did with each terminal having a clip leading up to Halo 5's release.
I think you could be very right with the terminals, because I also doubt that 343 will explain Chiefs journey during the timegap
in external media but rather in-game which would make indeed the most sense, keeping in mind that HI will be a "spiritual reboot" and supposedly easy accessible for new players as 343 keeps saying.

Altough I can imagine that maybe a novel or a comic series could explain the greater events in the galaxy
as well as the fate of other people, like Blue Team, Arbiter, the people on the Infinity, and so on.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
SMOK69KMK wrote:
SMOK69KMK wrote:
I think you could be very right with the terminals, because I also doubt that 343 will explain Chiefs journey during the timegap
in external media but rather in-game which would make indeed the most sense, keeping in mind that HI will be a "spiritual reboot" and supposedly easy accessible for new players as 343 keeps saying.

Altough I can imagine that maybe a novel or a comic series could explain the greater events in the galaxy
as well as the fate of other people, like Blue Team, Arbiter, the people on the Infinity, and so on.
The possibilities are endless with how they could handle things. Something else I just thought of was a Spartan Ops type DLC where 343 could release new campaign missions based different characters and story lines.