Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Will armor coatings even matter in Team Games?

OP Matoro Zeliph

It got me thinking, how is custom armor coatings going to matter if more than half of the game modes we play is team slayer, meaning (assuming) it will default your spartan's armor coating your team's colors (to plain blue or red) anyway?

Are we going to have 3 sets of armor coatings to choose from, similar to Mordhau or Rocket League? Or even Rooster Teeth Red vs Blue? Like:
Red shades of customization for red team
Blue shades of customization for blue team
Various color shades of customization for ffa

Or will we determine our opponents by their red shades of light coming off of the Spartan's armor light shafts and visor, like from Titanfall 2?

Because if it's going to be like the classic Halo games where your armor defaults to plain red or blue, then what's the point of custom armor coatings?
I wouldn't mind if the colours if the shades are overwritten by the team colour. Halo always was like that. Also - this is not Titanfall or Gears of War.

Better to stay in the own traditional way than follow the mainstream.
I've thought about this too. So many people crying about no primary/secondary but you almost never see your colours in game anyway unless you play a lot of FFA. My H5 spartan is brown but 99% of the time I'm red or blue because I don't really play FFA lol

I hope you can choose from different shades within red and blue team or even patterns, that would be cool. Maybe your coating pattern will show through but replaced with the team colours?
I hope it is like Rocket League and For Honor.

You can choose your blue shade, your red shade (orange in For Honor) and your free for all shade.
In team games, I don't see how they could matter that much either. I'm thinking that the emphasis on armor coatings in multiplayer might be indicative of a "Battle Royale" -type mode that may be a big part of the game. I don't see 343 overhauling the entire cosmetic system just for a FFA playlist imo.
Will armour coatings matter in team games? Perhaps not, but then again, there are a number of Free For All game modes/types, and even outside of FFA there are modes like Infection* and Firefight which also use your own colours.

In my opinion, this "we will only see red or blue, so armour coatings are pointless" is nonsense as "we" only applies to those who only ever play Team Slayer and/or team objective modes, which certainly isn't the entirety of the player base. Furthermore, by that logic, wouldn't the old colour system in the older games be pointless too? After all, it just "defaults to red or blue" and nobody sees their own colours.

* = Survivors in Halo 5's Infection use the player's own colours. I don't know if it is the case in the older games.
* = Survivors in Halo 5's Infection use the player's own colours. I don't know if it is the case in the older games.
This is the case in older games, too, with the exception of Halo 2's Zombies mode where the survivors are a team colour.
It's part of the reason why I can't quite get behind the whole hating armor coatings thing. Like, brother you're either candy color red or candy color blue in most gameplay.
Unfortunately yes your armor coating will become all red or blue when playing team games. I hope they keep that your armor set stays the same but just the color of it turns red or blue. For example if I have the SR152 armor set, it will just turn red or blue depending on my team, but the style stays the same.
I've thought about this too. So many people crying about no primary/secondary but you almost never see your colours in game anyway unless you play a lot of FFA. My H5 spartan is brown but 99% of the time I'm red or blue because I don't really play FFA lol

I hope you can choose from different shades within red and blue team or even patterns, that would be cool. Maybe your coating pattern will show through but replaced with the team colours?
Tbf a lot of people also do customs and wanna see their characters fabulousness in that.
Maybe the patterns will show but the base color is red or blue
Armor coatings won’t matter much if the team gameplay remains red versus blue. We would most like see the coatings appear in free-for-all game types and firefight, etc.
I hope in reams armor coatings stay in red v blue gameodes. Maybe the arm and left leg has a stripe like how Halo 3 has the VI stripes. They would be the color of the team your on and your outlined with a blue or red color. Of course green cross hair and red cross hair would be a indicator as well as the radar
I think armor coatings are more than just the color/shade of color. I thought 343 said somewhere that you can change your armor coating to make it look old and worn out or new and shiny, as well as the standard color. So even if it defaults to team colors, different Spartans will still have noticeable distinctions.
I've always hated forced colors. People who argue that you cant identify other teammates if you arent all the same color have never played a game like COD or Battlefront.

Remove forced colors for every mode besides competitive.

There is Firefight to consider, that is a place where many spend time in and aren't restricted by a team colour.
My guess is armor coatings from a technical perspective will make that process easier, any coating area with 'primary' colour would be recoloured for team games while any secondary pattern areas can remain and it will all still have the same material effect as the original.

I get that the no more direct primary/secondary colour choice is a shock to people's systems (I mean I'm doomed because my colours have been Orange and Green since Reach) but as others have said, the main time you see that is on the main menu. Yes coatings will be different, but I see them like armour sets. Yes some will be MTX but others will need to be earned and will mean something