Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Will Halo Infinite bring back the magic?

OP TanEugene94

If the upcoming Halo Infinite is a huge success, will it bring back the magic especially getting people excited for Halo again?
Well I think the reason 343 put MCC on PC is to build up the hype and give Halo back that magic touch. Everyone is skeptical, with good reason, but I do have faith that 343 CAN deliver, it’s just a case of if they will.
Well I think the reason 343 put MCC on PC is to build up the hype and give Halo back that magic touch. Everyone is skeptical, with good reason, but I do have faith that 343 CAN deliver, it’s just a case of if they will.
I hope you're right. I really want 343 Industries to give us an awesome Halo Infinite.
maybe 343 wil bring back the magic,and olso make xbox 360 disc.
I'm very hopeful for infinite but I still am prepared for it to be disappointing. We won't know until it comes out.
I sincerely hope so, after everything 343 have done to fix Reach I do believe that they will deliver an amazing game and story.
Yes it will.

343 are not amateurs anymore. They have made two Halo games which I LOVED. They know what they need to do to make a better game from the fans and they know their fans will support them.
343 IS the future of Halo.
Bungie gave up on us, let us all support 343 in the utmost.
Yes it will.

343 are not amateurs anymore. They have made two Halo games which I LOVED. They know what they need to do to make a better game from the fans and they know their fans will support them.
343 have so far made two halo games that the majority of the fan base have hated. (I enjoyed h4 campain) and also bungie didn't give up on anybody they told all they wanted to within the universe they created. I hope infinite does bring back the magic but i'll reserve my judgement until i see actual gameplay.
jay3008 wrote:
Yes it will.

343 have so far made two halo games that the majority of the fan base have hated. (I enjoyed h4 campain) and also bungie didn't give up on anybody they told all they wanted to within the universe they created. I hope infinite does bring back the magic but i'll reserve my judgement until i see actual gameplay.
I don't know about "majority" really. Halo 4's multiplayer certainly leaned more on the negative sure, but Halo 5 felt more like a Mixed-to-Positive bag and less of a 'majority negative'. There's also Halo Wars 2 which they had at least a hand in, even if Certain Affinity probably did most of it. (And yeah, I loved the H4 campaign too!)As for will it bring the 'magic' back? Hmm, hard to tell really. My best bet is that it'll draw in a lot of returning people and make them happy to varying extents, but not EVERYONE. There'll be someone who'll call it 343's "Third Strike" regardless of how well Infinite's received overall.

For me the magic so to speak only really left in 5, and it was kinda zig-zagged. Blue Team finally making a physical presence had me ecstatic, but then the whole Evil Cortana and stuff happened... Gameplaywise though, Halo 5's my #1 (No, it wasn't my first Halo game. CE was.) with Halo 2 Anniversary and Reach being a close runner-up. If Infinite's like either of those though, I'll be happy as a clam multiplayer-wise.
Sylxeria wrote:
jay3008 wrote:
Yes it will.

I don't know about "majority" really. Halo 4's multiplayer certainly leaned more on the negative sure, but Halo 5 felt more like a Mixed-to-Positive bag and less of a 'majority negative'. There's also Halo Wars 2 which they had at least a hand in, even if Certain Affinity probably did most of it. (And yeah, I loved the H4 campaign too!)As for will it bring the 'magic' back? Hmm, hard to tell really. My best bet is that it'll draw in a lot of returning people and make them happy to varying extents, but not EVERYONE. There'll be someone who'll call it 343's "Third Strike" regardless of how well Infinite's received overall.

For me the magic so to speak only really left in 5, and it was kinda zig-zagged. Blue Team finally making a physical presence had me ecstatic, but then the whole Evil Cortana and stuff happened... Gameplaywise though, Halo 5's my #1 (No, it wasn't my first Halo game. CE was.) with Halo 2 Anniversary and Reach being a close runner-up. If Infinite's like either of those though, I'll be happy as a clam multiplayer-wise.
I would definitely say it was closer to the majority then not. Just look at the Halo 4 population alone. It fell like a stone very quickly. I do agree hate might be a bit strong, but overall Halo 4 was not liked. Everything from the art direction, to AAs being brought back and expand, lack of even starts, loadouts being brought in, kilkcams and kill streaks being put in, no one really liked the Prometheans, massive lack of features, terrible UI, the music, weapon balancing and sounds (remember the BR when it first came out LOL) amongst just a few things.

People were mixed on the actual story but I would agree that more seemed to like it then not, but even then, a lot of people have problems with HOW it was told/delivered, with good reason. Having to go to outsides sources (waypoint) or finding things in game to fully understand the story was an absolutely terrible idea.

Halo 5 on the other hand I would say was definitely mixed overall. Online population dropped definitely, but not nearly as fast as Halo 4 and seemed to maintain at least a respectable population considering the state of what Halo has become. Multiplayer wise was definitely mixed with the whole spartan abilities and sprint animation being in but received WAY better then Halo 4. Things like ADS style zooming was definitely not received well and is seen as a we put it in just because that's what other games look like. On the other hand, going back to even starts, eliminating loadouts, getting back to more of a map control style as older Halo's with things like power ups and power weapons being put back on the maps were pretty much universally praised. As well as most of the weapons for balance. The ranking system being brought back (though people are mixed on placement matches and seasons) and actually having social and ranked playlists (though that took a while to have...) Was also very well received.

Story wise pretty much no liked or how it was told. Blue team just shows up and unless you read the books, you'd have no idea who they are. Most fans felt 343I misled them on the story big time, team Osiris wasn't received well, the whole squad mechanic definitely wasn't received well, majority wasn't big on the music but overall did like it better then 4 I'd say, majority still not loving the art direction, and so on...

Other things, warzone was a mix bag for most. If you didn't like, half the game wasn't playable for you, REQs were pretty much universally hated. The piles and piles of unnecessary cosmetics, massive lack of content at launch, absolutely TERRIBLE UI, lack of developer made
MP maps and people not being impressed with remix MP maps, the game being pretty much online only, no split screen or LAN and the list goes on...

So yeah...overall Halo 4 wasn't liked by most and Halo 5 overall was definitely received better then 4, but still not great...

As for will Halo infinite bring back the Halo magic... Well, as someone who was there from the beginning (yup I'm older lol) and saw it all, I don't think so... but there is hope. If Halo infinite is a solid game and is universally liked, then I think it could be the first step in bringing Halo back to being relevant because let's face facts here, Halo isn't relevant at the moment unfortunately 😞 ....but so far 343I is definitely giving reason to hope as they are changing their art style, have announce that the game will have a split screen and LAN (though we don't know if LAN will be truly offline yet) said that armor customization will be something similar to Reach which most considered to be the pinnacle of Halo customization, the music will be a mix of new/old (which hopefully means we will get some of the classic themes back which should have never left) and so on.

So we'll see 🙃
jay3008 wrote:
Yes it will.

I hear you. I just find it weird that Bungie leaves Microsoft and their biggest IP in the history of the company and perhaps even Microsoft to go make a RPGMMO for Activision.
I mean the ended their ENTIRE franchise with Reach which was was the beginning
of Halo storylines.

They saw the check and ran with it.
Sylxeria wrote:
jay3008 wrote:
Yes it will.

<Snip>
Honestly, sometimes I wonder if the Halo community doesn't just have some aversion to anything that's new. Not saying that dislike isn't unfounded at times (COUGH COUGH ARMOR LOCK, PROMETHEAN VISION, PERKS, KILLSTREAKS, SPARTAN CHARGE...) but then something that could genuinely be interesting comes up and it's still gunned down as being "It's Not Halo! Get rid of it!"

The Squad system in the campaign was probably a good example for me personally, since it was something that technically could be turned on or off as the mission demands (As in Reach, where Noble Team wasn't ALWAYS with you, but it'd be useful for when they ARE) but thr very concept was bad so it 'has to go'. Blue Team might not mean much to people who never read the books or dug into Terminals and things, but they're huge for everyone else - and it's terribly unfair to people like myself who love Blue Team (Linda ftw) to bits to consider the fact they might be cut out of the next game just to make things simpler for people who only play the games.

They could just give a brief recap on them in-game in some way (Some NPC gawking over them e.g.) or put in the Black Boxes / Campaign Logs from Halo Wars to describe them, etc.

Back on the previous topic though... For a long time I keet hearing people insist that Halo "innovate" and be a leader again, but how can it innovate if any new suggestion or feature is gunned down as being "Not Halo"? Even if it's not explicitly parodying another game's mechanic to some degree or another, what can Halo do that no other game isn't already doing in some way AND still "Be Halo"? Even if no game around is doing a certain thing, 343 could add it and still have it be shot down for being "Not Halo". But I digress.
Sylxeria wrote:
Honestly, sometimes I wonder if the Halo community doesn't just have some aversion to anything that's new. Not saying that dislike isn't unfounded at times (COUGH COUGH ARMOR LOCK, PROMETHEAN VISION, PERKS, KILLSTREAKS, SPARTAN CHARGE...) but then something that could genuinely be interesting comes up and it's still gunned down as being "It's Not Halo! Get rid of it!"

The Squad system in the campaign was probably a good example for me personally, since it was something that technically could be turned on or off as the mission demands (As in Reach, where Noble Team wasn't ALWAYS with you, but it'd be useful for when they ARE) but thr very concept was bad so it 'has to go'. Blue Team might not mean much to people who never read the books or dug into Terminals and things, but they're huge for everyone else - and it's terribly unfair to people like myself who love Blue Team (Linda ftw) to bits to consider the fact they might be cut out of the next game just to make things simpler for people who only play the games.

They could just give a brief recap on them in-game in some way (Some NPC gawking over them e.g.) or put in the Black Boxes / Campaign Logs from Halo Wars to describe them, etc.

Back on the previous topic though... For a long time I keet hearing people insist that Halo "innovate" and be a leader again, but how can it innovate if any new suggestion or feature is gunned down as being "Not Halo"? Even if it's not explicitly parodying another game's mechanic to some degree or another, what can Halo do that no other game isn't already doing in some way AND still "Be Halo"? Even if no game around is doing a certain thing, 343 could add it and still have it be shot down for being "Not Halo". But I digress.
343 is the only one to blame if Blue team and the squad system gets the axe. A dual perspective story is fine, a squad based story with assorted systems also would have been fine. Smashing them both together into a 5-6 hour campaign with 6 new(to the wider audience) characters was never going to end well. In and of itself I doubt many players would have had a problem with a properly implemented squad system, but like many things 343 has introduced/expanded upon, the implementation in both story and gameplay left much to be desired.

I'll be annoyed if 343 sweeps Blue Team and Osiris to the side too, but that isn't the fault of the playerbase that they didn't care for 343's botched attempt or didn't read enough EU content. Don't blame them for 343's own inability to learn the right lessons from a narrative or gameplay perspective.

Innovation isn't just about adding new mechanics to existing gameplay, its also about adding raising the bar in terms of features and content. I would argue that Halo 3 is easily the least innovative main Halo game in terms of core mechanics, but what it did do was massively raise the bar in terms of what the game brings to the table. In campaign we got 4 player co-op with scoring, skulls, and terminals. In multiplayer we got more expansive custom options than ever before, plus Forge, theater, and file share.

Many shooters released today still struggle to compete with a game released in 2007 and that was before Forge was massively expanded and Firefight was added. There is so much room to innovate with how players interact with Halo that I honestly can't fathom why folks are so fixated with changing what Halo is. You are never going bring back any magic playing follow the leader and you are not going to bring the community together by changing what the game is every release.

Players are also not obligated to like a certain number of changes for the sake of being reasonable. A consistent rejection of "new" things from a certain source suggests a failure to understand their audience, not that their audience is especially stubborn.
WerepyreND wrote:
Sylxeria wrote:

Innovation isn't just about adding new mechanics to existing gameplay, its also about adding raising the bar in terms of features and content. I would argue that Halo 3 is easily the least innovative main Halo game in terms of core mechanics, but what it did do was massively raise the bar in terms of what the game brings to the table. In campaign we got 4 player co-op with scoring, skulls, and terminals. In multiplayer we got more expansive custom options than ever before, plus Forge, theater, and file share.

Many shooters released today still struggle to compete with a game released in 2007 and that was before Forge was massively expanded and Firefight was added. There is so much room to innovate with how players interact with Halo that I honestly can't fathom why folks are so fixated with changing what Halo is. You are never going bring back any magic playing follow the leader and you are not going to bring the community together by changing what the game is every release.

Players are also not obligated to like a certain number of changes for the sake of being reasonable. A consistent rejection of "new" things from a certain source suggests a failure to understand their audience, not that their audience is especially stubborn.
Very true, I guess that didn't really cross my mind when thinking about this earlier.

Honestly, I'd love to see what Infinite's Forge brings to the table when it arrives. I know many people didn't like how many Forge maps ended up featuring in 5's matchmaking, but I still found many to be quite impressive. The sheer fact of such maps actually being made and sometimes even looking almost "official"... With the tools and new stuff it gave us to play with, it just... Well, it was amazing! More than once I thought to myself "How will they top this next time?" after seeing grouping, saving and loading of groups, mirroring, improved welding and scripting, audio and music, more atmospheres, multiple lightboxes, WEATHER.... Like, how can they top that? Spawnable bots and pathfinding tools? Adding Firefight onto Forge maps?
Sylxeria wrote:
The squad-system in H5G was bad not because it was there, but because it was half--Yoinked!-. I wanted a squad-system (or at least minimal options for giving your teammates orders) ever since the first marine ran into my line of fire back in Halo CE. But what we got was laughable.
The friendly AI is easily the worst it's been in the history of the franchise (yes, I'd argue even worse than Kat in Reach, but definitely worse than Arbiter in Halo 3) and the extent to which you were able to order your teammates was barely existent; you could tell them to go to a certain spot which they would either ignore outright or take the most stupid path getting there, ususally leading them directly through enemy fire. You could order them to take a certain weapon on the ground, which they would then drop a minute later, also while completeley removing the option of swapping weapons with them. Lastly, reviving doesn't work at all, most of the time they run up to you, then stand there doing nothing, and in the rare cases where they do try to heal the player, the have absolute zero sense of doing it from cover.
The only thing that was needed was mapping several key commands to the D-pad, like "Move to this position", "Reassemble at my position", "Stay behind" and "Charge" or something, then leave everything else how it was. Instead they tried to reinvent the wheel, broke some spikes and trying to fix it we ended up with a triangle instead.
If 343 wants to do a squad system, they better do it right or they drop it altogether, that would be better than the joke we got. Then again, what was I expecting from Tim Longo?