Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Will Infinite be better?

OP SturdySpy707456

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Do you guys think Halo Infinite will be as good as Halo 2? Halo 2 was simply amazing and you have to take into consideration that Halo 2 never had Forge, Firefight, Theater, Warzone, etc.. My point is that Halo 2 was so fun and the gameplay was just amazing that it didn't need 80 different modes to make it great.

I feel like 343 is making Infinite by just throwing in modes and expectations that everyone thinks should be best. If Halo Infinite can master that 30 seconds of fun in every interaction like Halo 1, 2 & 3 then the game will be amazing.

Fortnite, COD, Apex: Monthly Player Base is 40 Million
Active Halo fanbase: 200,000 estimated..

We as a community are nothing and I think that's why we haven't gotten any gameplay, screenshots, etc. over the years.. I think 343 doesn't want to spend all this money on marketing for a community that is so small. That's why they are waiting and then probably have all these (Fortnite, COD, Apex) streamers and YouTube creators to market the game for way less. They already know we are going to buy the game, so Microsoft is really focusing on selling the game to (Fortnite, COD, Apex) players. Now if Halo had 40 million players monthly we would have seen so much more. But hey this is just my thoughts coming from a OG halo fan.
No. With 343 Industries' track record, important people leaving the project, and almost no information after so many years suggesting serious problems with the game, the best I can hope for is another 343 Industries Halo game.

Halo 2 was the biggest piece of entertainment in history upon release, revolutionized online gaming in general, and is likely the biggest reason online gaming took off on consoles. Maybe the series could reach those heights again under a different developer, but 343 Industries has always made the poor man's version of better games. You can never make an amazing game by doing that.
They’ve reverted back to a more classic oriented art style, and brought back the marines/army troopers, so it’s already off to a better start then halo 5.
I don't know. The art style looks better than 4,5 in the trailer but I remember when I was excited about Halo 4's graphics at E3 because of the Promethean's and forest graphics from one of the levels then later realising it was mostly misleading then things got worse with Halo 5 in every possible way. I really do want to get excited for Infinite but 4,5 have me doubtful for any new Halo to be good but anyway HW2 was a nice surprise for me since loved it, I just hope Infinite find it's footing because want to be able to enjoy a modern Halo game without it making me want to rant all the time like H5 did. All I know is Infinite strangely gives me hope, that's what I'm hanging onto for now.

Thing is there's lots I want to be in Infinite but I'm worried that 343i may pull some shady stuff like what happened with 'loot boxs', live services that tend to force modes like 'Warzone' into awful online only modes that were poorly balanced plus I'm concerned that base content might not exist at all, I just think after H5 it's lead to me having trust issues with the future Halo games. I just want a good Halo game with a fair amount of content at launch, even it means delaying the game to avoid things being patched in later because I want to be able my Halo games in 10+ and not have to worry about missing content due to 'servers'.
First, asking if it will compete with Halo 2 is like hoping a game will compete with Half-Life 2. It was one of the most influential and important games of the past 20 years which largely helped create the entire competitive console gaming industry.

It's an impossibly high bar to shoot for. I do think it will be a good game but "OMG REVOLUTIONARY"...I'm not sure.

I'd like for Infinite to be a Doom 2016 or God of War 2018 for the franchise but considering we still know literally nothing about the game, it's impossible to even speculate.

Active daily users isn't also a great metric to measure how successful or popular a Halo game is. Those games you listed are basically multi-player exclusive games or at best, have a forgettable campaign that people play once and then forget.

Halo is the only FPS that I can think of where the community is equally expectant, and excited for, the singleplayer AND multiplayer. Every other FPS focuses on one or the other. As such, a large percentage of the fanbase will judge Infinite not on if they played 1000s of hours of multiplayer, but if the campaign was amazing and maybe Firefight was enjoyable.
Funny you mention three free-to-play games. Let's make a comparison to GTA V. With 130 million copies sold, and still in the weekly top selling charts, it's crazy.

I'm saying what if Halo multiplayer went free-to-play... That would do some good for active player numbers.
It isn't ideal but why not release the single and co-op experience as a half priced game and make the multiplayer a free to play model. I'm from NZ so currency is different, if games usually cost $100-110 NZD, then $60. monetize the multiplayer, hopefully in a way better than the REQ system (over half the games content in 1 playlist and was a clustertruck in-game and for the user interface).

The single player aspect: campaign, firefight any other side modes (like a spartan ops that is good) needs to be ambitious, replayable, fun.

the multiplayer aspect: multiplayer, theatre, forge, customs needs to have content, more data and tools available to the player, not buggy, replayable and fun. BUT most importantly it needs to have an active playerbase. This is something that differentiates the single and multiplayer aspects of the game. 4, MCC and 5 all had the first 6 months (or more) of the game buggy and/or incomplete. No matter how good the game is, a failed launch is a death sentence for multiplayer as an active playerbase is the most important aspect of a multiplayer game.

Before anything ambitious happens i think
- a line-up of good maps that are fit for purpose
- a good selection of gametypes and gametype customisability
- a well rounded weapon and item sandbox with little redundancy or duplicates
- a varied and stable selection of playlists
- (this is not as important as others) an effective ranked system (relies on playerbase)
are needed. I would argue 4 and 5 didn't truly tick any of these boxes, especially not at launch or 6 months later, where it counts most.
Except for the artstyle change (which was a great decision), we haven't seen enough to make that judgement yet. We have no idea how the game is going to play half a year out.
People really be here thinking a simple art style change means anything to the end quality of the game... The artstyle should never have been retconned in the first place, neither should the music or anything for that matter as it was all key to halos identity. All we have seen of infinite really is a teaser for the slipspace engine (which actually looked pretty good) and the awful first cutscene where the classic armour was revealed. I say it was awful due to the forced emotional pandering with the creepy hologram wife that missed the mark and the obvious nostalgia bating with the halo ring we've all seen time and time again... And that was it, I mean masterchief looked better but that was literally it. That's all they had to show. I also found the pilot character pretty annoying but that's my personal opinion. For a first cutscene I am just assured we are going to get a classic 343 story as I believe it sets the tone for the whole game.

A Halo game even if made by Bungie could not compete with Halo 2 as Halo 2 could not exist today, the market has simply moved past Halo even without 343 damaging the franchises reputation. You mention games like Apex, Fortnite and COD to a lesser extent so I know you are implying 343 should market to a battle royalle audience but this is just brand suicide and will be the final nail in the coffin for this franchise if 343 goes down that route. I swear if I see a pelican battle buss I am turning my back on this game for good.

All in all I am predicting another flop, as mentioned above the amount of employees dropping out of the project and no gameplay being shown for ages does not bode well for this being a success. The state MCC patches have been releasing at also does not bode well for a future release. All this being said I will gladly sing the praises of 343 if they do ever deliver a product worthy in comparison to the original trilogy however I doubt.
343 Industries has always made the poor man's version of better games. You can never make an amazing game by doing that.
Sums it up really.
Do you guys think Halo Infinite will be as good as Halo 2? Halo 2 was simply amazing and you have to take into consideration that Halo 2 never had Forge, Firefight, Theater, Warzone, etc.. My point is that Halo 2 was so fun and the gameplay was just amazing that it didn't need 80 different modes to make it great.

I feel like 343 is making Infinite by just throwing in modes and expectations that everyone thinks should be best. If Halo Infinite can master that 30 seconds of fun in every interaction like Halo 1, 2 & 3 then the game will be amazing.

We as a community are nothing and I think that's why we haven't gotten any gameplay, screenshots, etc. over the years.. I think 343 doesn't want to spend all this money on marketing for a community that is so small.That's why they are waiting and then probably have all these (Fortnite, COD, Apex) streamers and YouTube creators to market the game for way less. They already know we are going to buy the game, so Microsoft is really focusing on selling the game to (Fortnite, COD, Apex) players. Now if Halo had 40 million players monthly we would have seen so much more. But hey this is just my thoughts coming from a OG halo fan.
This makes no sense, they will market the game for everybody when they're ready, even if they choose streamers to show off the game why is that a problem? why is that not marketing to us exactly? doesn't mean that they're not marketing for everybody.. Look I'm also very impatient and disappointed that we haven't seen anything since last E3, I'd be happy with a screenshot of the game right now but they did say that we weren't going to hear from them until this year's E3, which unfortunately we won't get this june due to current events, we will get to see the game on july, so let's just wait and see.

This game will be without a doubt the game they will market the most this year, you can bet they will spend millions of dollars marketing this game this fall, there's a simple reason why they haven't shown anything and it's the same reason why MS hasn't shown any of their other big 1st party games, they want to show off this game on a big event hyping up their next console, it's very simple, we will get gameplay soon, we've waited this long, 2 more months is not much.

I also think it's unfair to compare Halo to those 3 franchises, they're clearly bigger than Halo and 2 of those seem to be the new big thing, even if Halo wasn't disappointing fans for over a decade now you still shouldn't expect Halo to be that big, even when it was at the pick it wasn't as big as those, those franchises also are available to a huge player base that Halo can't have due to being exclusive, at least until Halo infinite, Halo Infinite will release on Xb1, XSX, PC + GP day one so it will be available to a lot more of people than ever before, let's wait and see how that goes.
I hope so. With no info at all minus the two cinematic trailers its hard to say. All we can do is wait until July.
XxDr2394xX wrote:

We as a community are nothing and I think that's why we haven't gotten any gameplay, screenshots, etc. over the years.. I think 343 doesn't want to spend all this money on marketing for a community that is so small.That's why they are waiting and then probably have all these (Fortnite, COD, Apex) streamers and YouTube creators to market the game for way less. They already know we are going to buy the game, so Microsoft is really focusing on selling the game to (Fortnite, COD, Apex) players. Now if Halo had 40 million players monthly we would have seen so much more. But hey this is just my thoughts coming from a OG halo fan.
even if they choose streamers to show off the game why is that a problem? why is that not marketing to us exactly?
I obviously don't speak for everyone, but watching Ninja dab does nothing to increase my interest in purchasing a video game. I only care about in-depth information from the developers.
I'm sure it will. All Halo titles are good in my opinion. And I admire how 343 Industries listens to the fans while still experimenting with new concepts.
Better? Was Halo 3 better than Halo 2?
For me high point was 3 with reach being a start to a wanna be cod game play, I stooped in 4 cus lets be honest. if I wanted cod style load outs I would have bought cod, I would love to see the stuff from 4 and 5 in a 3 or 2 style game play no built in power ups no load outs, that would have me hooked and playing none stop like I did in high school.

forgot to add Rank Like 3 where you earn it because I'm real sick of it be handed to me in every game just for playing. Skilled players sould be match with skilled players so they can get better.
Funny you mention three free-to-play games. Let's make a comparison to GTA V. With 130 million copies sold, and still in the weekly top selling charts, it's crazy.

I'm saying what if Halo multiplayer went free-to-play... That would do some good for active player numbers.
How exactly? How many non-halo fans do you think a free to play multiplayer would attract? Fans will buy the game no matter what. Why would a non-halo fan decide to purchase the game based on the multiplayer? Chances are, he probably doesn't give a -Yoink- about the story, so why bother buying the actual game? Halo Infinite going free to play could increase the player base temporarily, but it could also ruin the Halo franchise forever by starting a mobile game trend that will open the door for heavy monetization. Free to play is the worst thing that could happen to Halo.
XxDr2394xX wrote:

even if they choose streamers to show off the game why is that a problem? why is that not marketing to us exactly?
I obviously don't speak for everyone, but watching Ninja dab does nothing to increase my interest in purchasing a video game. I only care about in-depth information from the developers.
I understand but Idk where the OP got that they will use streamers to show off the game, they will most likely show off the game themselves on july.
I have been very excited for the upcoming Halo Infinite especially coming off from the success of the Halo Master Chief Collection, Halo Wars Definitive Edition, Halo Spartan Strike and Halo Spartan Assault on Steam. I am hoping that the new Halo video game will be great.
Halo 2 is way overrated. It was rushed and had a weird self-uninvolved vibe to it, for lack of better terminology. Like it was a little too aware that it was a video game phenomenon and was a little more blunt and direct in terms of its presentation to the audience. It had a lot of the same problems most "2s" have after their first game was a breakout hit. It was a "victory dance" of sorts, y'know? Plus a lot of its hype was owed to simply being the biggest multiplayer game at the dawn of online console gaming. You're never going to replicate that, and it has little to do with the game itself.

Halo 3 was peak Halo IMO. It improved upon basically everything from Halo 2 and had one of the most emotionally engrossing atmospheres in gaming history.
Let hope its Halo Infinite will be like the Super Bowl of all Halos, but one can hope tho.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2