Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Will Infinite perform better on PC or Series X?

OP HolyRecord87096

Will Halo infinite perform better on PC or Xbox Series X?

We know the series X is going to be 120 fps (I think halo infinite will be able to be played on that correct?), so I just want to know if it is even worth getting a PC anymore if that's the case. The only other advantage a PC has that I can think of is FOV, but the FPS is no longer an advantage right? What else am I missing?

Also will MCC perform better on the series X as well than on xb1?
If they do a good optimization job obviously PC. The better experience however also comes with a heavier entry price.

We know the series X is going to be 120 fps, so I just want to know if it is even worth getting a PC anymore if that's the case.

It depends what YOU want. If it's just for gaming XSX might be enough, especially because it is a really nice setup for the price they offer and it's still in the realm of high end gaming! But it can't compete with better CPU, more RAM, RTX 3000 series and so on... That's a given mate. XSX can go up to 120fps (Hi for now is planned to reach that target as well), with better hardware you can can above that with more complex geometries, higher res, better raytracing and faster loading time.

To beat this gen consoles in 2020/21 you need to spend relatively a lot though, especially this time - because XSX is actually a good starting point contrary to Xone/PS4 FAT back in the day. Once paid that "heavy" entry price though, services and software will cost a hell lot less, you get a much better multimedia station, you get access to mods and have a much bigger pool of games than any other platform - all for less than on a console. So in the (very) long run you might safe a buck or two. So "heavy" it's relative to how much you play and if you only use for gaming or more. It's a lot more work though! Especially if you want to make the tower comfortable for living room and 4k TV ready set-up!

Personally I travel a fair bit, draw a lot, work in the architecture/3D field and consume a lot of YT/Netflix. So I'm better off with a laptop! 🤷🏻‍♀️ I even got a Quadro over a GeForce, because I don't care much for framerate in single-player, it's much better for everything else I do and I still get enough out of it to play well R6S. I did spend more for an awesome IPS screen though, because colors for me are important in everything! See what I mean? So if you want a better answer to your question you should also provide more infos about your your preferences! :) XSX is not the best hardware you can play games on objectively speaking, but it gets close enough! So if you don't care for mods and would use the rig for gaming and nothing else, XSX is still the best choice for multiplats imho!

Long story short (again): it depends what YOU want. There is no right answer!

Yes, better framerate at the very least!^^
I mean it obviously depends on the PC in question. You could get a PC that barely runs 720p 30. You could get a PC that runs 1440p 144+

We know the series X is going to be 120 fps (I think halo infinite will be able to be played on that correct?), so I just want to know if it is even worth getting a PC anymore if that's the case. The only other advantage a PC has that I can think of is FOV, but the FPS is no longer an advantage right? What else am I missing?

I think it will be nitpicky differences at best. The base game has to be able to perform on the xbox one. Nothing mind boggling that a pc can do over the series x would be able to happen on the one imo...but idk.

As far as mcc. Since there hasnt been much word. I speculate that the series x will upgrade xbox one titles to xbox one x status. So I guess if you never upgraded to an xbox one x you'll see a noticeable improvement from game to game. I hear halo 5 is very noticeable between the one and the one x
Outside of technical stuff I don't know but I know MnK is better than Controllers. Unfortunately I think PC is where there best experience will be and I'll always stay with Console/controller gaming. Pc will never have the releases of OG Halo Legacy titles so there's the advantage with consoles but perhaps playing 10 year old games is something you can do without but for the sake at least console has these games.
Run 4W wrote:
Pc will never have the releases of OG Halo Legacy titles so there's the advantage with consoles but perhaps playing 10 year old games is something you can do without but for the sake at least console has these games.
Ummm Halo CE and Halo 2 are on PC and MCC is on PC. Only game left is Halo 4 after Tuesday, Minus Halo 5 but we don't talk about that game.

buut going to answer the OP. Go with the system you have the most friends on.
I meant for H3, ODST, Reach & 4 and if you wanna add Halo 5, Xbox has all the halo FPS releases something PC doesn't (OG releases not including MCC a compilation), playing 10 year old games modded online by other gamers on OG titles might not be your thing, it's not mine. PC beats console for MnK easier and better aiming but Xbox has more Halo releases, you could always save you Xbox and move onto PC.. I think is the best move. I'll be staying on console because I'm used to it and prefer gaming with controller. Edit, I read my previous post now and thought I made sense. This post was an answer to my quoted post. This was mainly about technical stuff which I can't answer but choice of platform this is how I think of it.
PC 10000% because you can custom build a PC to be wayyy more powerful than the xbox
Will Halo infinite perform better on PC or Xbox Series X?If they do a good optimization job obviously PC. The better experience however also comes with a heavier entry price.

We know the series X is going to be 120 fps, so I just want to know if it is even worth getting a PC anymore if that's the case. It depends what YOU want. If it's just for gaming XSX might be enough, especially because it is a really nice setup for the price they offer and it's still in the realm of high end gaming! But it can't compete with better CPU, more RAM, RTX 3000 series and so on... That's a given mate. XSX can go up to 120fps (Hi for now is planned to reach that target as well), with better hardware you can can above that with more complex geometries, higher res, better raytracing and faster loading time.

To beat this gen consoles in 2020/21 you need to spend relatively a lot though, especially this time - because XSX is actually a good starting point contrary to Xone/PS4 FAT back in the day. Once paid that "heavy" entry price though, services and software will cost a hell lot less, you get a much better multimedia station, you get access to mods and have a much bigger pool of games than any other platform - all for less than on a console. So in the (very) long run you might safe a buck or two. So "heavy" it's relative to how much you play and if you only use for gaming or more. It's a lot more work though! Especially if you want to make the tower comfortable for living room and 4k TV ready set-up!

Personally I travel a fair bit, draw a lot, work in the architecture/3D field and consume a lot of YT/Netflix. So I'm better off with a laptop! 🤷🏻‍♀️ I even got a Quadro over a GeForce, because I don't care much for framerate in single-player, it's much better for everything else I do and I still get enough out of it to play well R6S. I did spend more for an awesome IPS screen though, because colors for me are important in everything! See what I mean? So if you want a better answer to your question you should also provide more infos about your your preferences! :) XSX is not the best hardware you can play games on objectively speaking, but it gets close enough! So if you don't care for mods and would use the rig for gaming and nothing else, XSX is still the best choice for multiplats imho!

Long story short (again): it depends what YOU want. There is no right answer!

Also will MCC perform better on the series X as well than on xb1?Yes, better framerate at the very least!^^
I agree. Then there's the cost. I doubt you'll be able to build a PC as powerful as Xbox Series X for £449.99. I'm clueless, and without googling I'll bet you'll be over £1K minimum.
If you want a PC that plays it as well as the xsx the price is very high.
Even the xss for 300$ will play it like a really good pc.
All about your budget.
From my understanding of PC gaming, the PC system has always had more powerful capabilities than any gaming system. That being said, good luck finding a nice gaming PC for the prices which the Xbox series is at.
PC has practically no performance ceiling, so a monster gaming rig fitted with ridiculous parts like an i9 or AMD ThreadRipper processor and the upcoming Nvidia 3000 series graphics cards should absolutely pack enough power to dramatically outpace the Series X in terms of raw frames and fidelity. That's assuming that 343i has designed Infinite to be scalable in a way that's friendly to PC's (games designed only for console and then ported to PC often aren't optimized to take advantage of PC hardware very well and sometimes take dramatically outsized amounts of power to operate at even regular fidelity), which is likely since MS has been steadily improving their PC support for years.

With regards to most AAA games, the right question to ask is almost never "Will it run better on PC or X Console," because on the high end console gaming hasn't ever been able to compete with PC and isn't likely to in the future. The real question is, how much are you willing to pay and at what fidelity of gaming will you be satisfied? The answer to that question is dramatically different based on who you ask it to.

The Series X (and even moreso the Series S) represent a very nice balance of value/performance. Building a PC (let alone buying a pre-built) that can compete with the raw specs for these units (on paper, we haven't seen the real world performance yet), is almost impossible for the price they cost. If you throw $300 dollars into a rig trying to match the performance of the Series S, you'll likely fall well short. Same thing if you try to build a Series X killer for $500. In fact, you'll need to well above the tag price of either of these to really match them for performance.

If you want the best possible experience for Halo: Infinite (Or practically anything else), drop a few grand on a peerless Gaming PC. If you want a very well optimized experience for an incredible value, pick up one of the Series models. I'm not trying to demean either option, it's entirely a matter of personal preference. It's just a situation (like pretty much anything else) wherein the best value and the best possible quality are not at all the same thing. You'll have to choose what's most important and makes the most sense for you.
That is based on how much you are willing to spend on a PC vs Xbox Series X benchmarks. With no real world testing with the xbox series X, its hard to say. Hopefully it is strongly optimized. I believe it will run great, but again we need actual testing. On PC, your mileage may very. If you got the new 3000 RTX nVidia cards (after such a disaster launch) and as long your CPU is not a bottleneck, meaning you are running a 3000 series AMD chip or you wait for the 4000 series AMD CPUs. As for Intel, I haven't seen any benchmarks if you are using a chip like the 7000 or 8000 series, but if you have a 9000 series or 10000, you are good to go. You will be pushing a good amount of power. Keep in mind, try getting the higher ends for the CPUs.
PC has practically no performance ceiling, so a monster gaming rig fitted with ridiculous parts like an i9 or AMD ThreadRipper processor and the upcoming Nvidia 3000 series graphics cards should absolutely pack enough power to dramatically outpace the Series X in terms of raw frames and fidelity. That's assuming that 343i has designed Infinite to be scalable in a way that's friendly to PC's (games designed only for console and then ported to PC often aren't optimized to take advantage of PC hardware very well and sometimes take dramatically outsized amounts of power to operate at even regular fidelity), which is likely since MS has been steadily improving their PC support for years.

With regards to most AAA games, the right question to ask is almost never "Will it run better on PC or X Console," because on the high end console gaming hasn't ever been able to compete with PC and isn't likely to in the future. The real question is, how much are you willing to pay and at what fidelity of gaming will you be satisfied? The answer to that question is dramatically different based on who you ask it to.

The Series X (and even moreso the Series S) represent a very nice balance of value/performance. Building a PC (let alone buying a pre-built) that can compete with the raw specs for these units (on paper, we haven't seen the real world performance yet), is almost impossible for the price they cost. If you throw $300 dollars into a rig trying to match the performance of the Series S, you'll likely fall well short. Same thing if you try to build a Series X killer for $500. In fact, you'll need to well above the tag price of either of these to really match them for performance.

If you want the best possible experience for Halo: Infinite (Or practically anything else), drop a few grand on a peerless Gaming PC. If you want a very well optimized experience for an incredible value, pick up one of the Series models. I'm not trying to demean either option, it's entirely a matter of personal preference. It's just a situation (like pretty much anything else) wherein the best value and the best possible quality are not at all the same thing. You'll have to choose what's most important and makes the most sense for you.
^ This is great information. Thanks for explaining to a layman!!!
@Brutal Vengence happy to share what I know! I'm no PC expert, but have worked selling computers before, keep up with a lot of technological advances for PC's, and have many friends who are diehard "PCMR."

I personally prefer the value and ease of console gaming to PC, but I don't begrudge anyone who feels different, because PC's do afford an incredible experience on the high end. They just cost a lot more than I want to spend when I can get a pretty great experience optimized on console for a ton less. I just wish PC and Console diehard fans could get along better in general and understand that the biggest difference between them is just a matter of priorities.