Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Will master chief die

OP OptimumCactus73

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo infinite still have a year to have some rest.....until then we can only run on theories..... So from a long time I have been debating with big pizza party as if chief may die.......dont quote me
Cant see it happening. He is the face of the series.. kill him and you might lose a big chunk of the fan base.
Yes absolutely both he and cortana will die at the end of infinite. no question about it in my mind.
DecBot wrote:
He is the face of the series.
Which is a bit ironic given that we never actually see his face.

But anyway. Microsoft/343 have put too much into this reboot of the franchise (including building a brand new game engine) to risk it one game in.
No, he won't die. If he did, who would they honestly replace him with? Locke? lol. No, he's not going anywhere.
I don’t think he’s gonna die in this game. But I do think he will die or retire within the next 10 years. Sad to say it, but Steve Downes is currently 68 years old. I think he’ll likely do only 2 more games after this. So I don’t think they’ll want to replace Steve with a new VA, would be too much backlash. I think Chief will exit the franchise within the next 10 years, just not yet.
Halo infinite still have a year to have some rest.....until then we can only run on theories..... So from a long time I have been debating with big pizza party as if chief may die.......dont quote me
Absolutly NOT Master Chief is Infinite and Beyond…..
343/Micro seems to want Halo as an IP to move forward for a decade plus at this point. With HI being a "spiritual reboot" they are essentially setting up for a long term future and I would be hard pressed to entertain the thought of the Master Chief dying in Halo Infinite, or in any Halo game soon. I just don't see it. MC is in the top 5 or so most recognizable video game characters ever; he is an icon and just won't go away anytime soon.

Now, what I could see (though doubt it would be noticeable if/when) is a voice actor change at some point with the help of technology to make his voice sound the same. Steve Downs is in his 70s I believe. While he will probably continue as the VO for as long as he wants (which I assume will be years still) he won't do it forever so at some point a transition plan has to come. I don't think that means the removal of the MC but changes like a VO change could occur.

I also think we will see more Halo game that include playing as other Spartans. Say Jerome from Red Team or heck (puts on flame suit) even double down on Spartan Locke and grow his character more. Maybe even see an Alpha Nine based game where we play as Buck again (credit goes to Viper Skills for these thoughts, they are not just my own) but something to that effect where the player base gets comfortable playing as other Spartans so if someday 343i decided to begin to phase the Chief out we are somewhat prepared.

Regardless, the Chief won't die anytime soon imo.
He won't die he will live on because spartans never die! Halo ends when chief ends and chief ends when halo ends!
No, he won't die. If he did, who would they honestly replace him with? Locke? lol. No, he's not going anywhere.
Replace chief no one will if his character dies mc is done as a character but you have to remember over 7 titles thusfar we have played as chief, rookie, arbitor, noble 6 and Locke, so it's would hardly be a surprise if 343i wanted tell more diverse halo universe stories using other lead characters on the slipspace engine moving into the future
Star wars it moved on without Luke Skywalker and has certainly prospered star trek moved on from captain kirk. halo will soon need to as well
Replace chief no one will if his character dies mc is done as a character but you have to remember over 7 titles thusfar we have played as chief, rookie, arbitor, noble 6 and Locke, so it's would hardly be a surprise if 343i wanted tell more diverse halo universe stories using other lead characters on the slipspace engine moving into the future
Star wars it moved on without Luke Skywalker and has certainly prospered star trek moved on from captain kirk. halo will soon need to as well
Eeeeeehh, yeah. Star Wars is not really prospering. A lot of people (including Mark Hamill himself) are upset about what went down with Luke. I'm not a Star Trek fan so I have no idea about that.

For Halo, we saw stories from Noble Six because Reach was before CE. It was always going to lead right into Chief's story. You deliver Cortana to Captain Keyes and the events of CE happen shortly after. Rookies story in ODST was during the events between Halo 2 and Halo 3. Master Chief's story. It connects to him. Same with Arbiter. He was the Elite who faced him in battle in CE and lost, thus paying the price for it. We later see what happens to him ALONG SIDE Master Chief and seeing their points of view during Halo 2 weave together. Halo 3 was all Chief. Halo 4 was all Chief (obvious issues with 4 aside) Halo 5 wasn't all Chief and nobody liked it. Nobody enjoyed Locke. The story couldn't even manage to make one person enjoy him or any of the other Spartans as characters at all. Why do you think 343i made so many blog posts saying " we hear you " and " Halo Infinite follows Halo 5's story and is all about the Master Chief. It's his journey. " cause they goofed. They couldn't pull off an additional character like Bungie did with Arbiter. They made us like Arbiter and they couldn't make us like Locke. Besides, Arbiter was there to stand next to Chief, not take over. They won't be moving on from the Master Chief any time soon and that's a good thing. It's not Halo without him. Chief's only what, in his 40's? And as a super soldier, his body basically feels much younger than that, especially with all the cryo-sleep he's been having through out the games?

Ask yourself this: Why would they go through the trouble to give the fans a "spiritual reboot" trying to recapture Halo's glory days to kill off the Master Chief in Infinite or even have a road map where they replace him or have main games where he's not the focus (again, Halo 5 for reference. Didn't go so well)? By all means, please. Make cool side stories like Reach and ODST. Hell, I don't play them but Halo Wars 1 and 2 are cool side stories, red team is pretty badass, no? That's why they're successful, though. They're side stories, not the main story. That's reserved for the Master Chief and we all know it.

People pick up Halo for Master Chief. It's as simple as that.
Eeeeeehh, yeah. Star Wars is not really prospering. A lot of people (including Mark Hamill himself) are upset about what went down with Luke. I'm not a Star Trek fan so I have no idea about that.

For Halo, we saw stories from Noble Six because Reach was before CE. It was always going to lead right into Chief's story. You deliver Cortana to Captain Keyes and the events of CE happen shortly after. Rookies story in ODST was during the events between Halo 2 and Halo 3. Master Chief's story. It connects to him. Same with Arbiter. He was the Elite who faced him in battle in CE and lost, thus paying the price for it. We later see what happens to him ALONG SIDE Master Chief and seeing their points of view during Halo 2 weave together. Halo 3 was all Chief. Halo 4 was all Chief (obvious issues with 4 aside) Halo 5 wasn't all Chief and nobody liked it. Nobody enjoyed Locke. The story couldn't even manage to make one person enjoy him or any of the other Spartans as characters at all. Why do you think 343i made so many blog posts saying " we hear you " and " Halo Infinite follows Halo 5's story and is all about the Master Chief. It's his journey. " cause they goofed. They couldn't pull off an additional character like Bungie did with Arbiter. They made us like Arbiter and they couldn't make us like Locke. Besides, Arbiter was there to stand next to Chief, not take over. They won't be moving on from the Master Chief any time soon and that's a good thing. It's not Halo without him. Chief's only what, in his 40's? And as a super soldier, his body basically feels much younger than that, especially with all the cryo-sleep he's been having through out the games?

Ask yourself this: Why would they go through the trouble to give the fans a "spiritual reboot" trying to recapture Halo's glory days to kill off the Master Chief in Infinite or even have a road map where they replace him or have main games where he's not the focus (again, Halo 5 for reference. Didn't go so well)? By all means, please. Make cool side stories like Reach and ODST. Hell, I don't play them but Halo Wars 1 and 2 are cool side stories, red team is pretty badass, no? That's why they're successful, though. They're side stories, not the main story. That's reserved for the Master Chief and we all know it.

I disagree but frankly it matter either way as we are all just speculating,
I'm convinced MC and Cortona will die at infinites conclusion .
Now I might be completely wrong or bang on the money in around 18 months time we will all know.

Now I might be completely wrong or bang on the money in around 18 months time we will all know.
After 2 main entry flops (not counting MCC), you legitimately believe you're convinced they'll kill Chief and Cortana at the end of Infinite? After all that time and energy spent letting us know Infinite is a spiritual reboot and all about Chief, beginning to end? If they were going to kill him off, why would they spiritually reboot it? Don't you think they would have left the art style and everything alone if they were going to simply kill him? Because the fans will be furious if they finally gave them the art style they asked for just to end his life at the end lol. We already felt like we were stabbed in the back falling or 4 and 5. If they kill him after all of this next year, Halo's officially dead. Nothing against you man, but I don't understand. Hopefully I'm not coming off as rude, I just don't get it haha. Too many signs point to Chief's longevity in this series. They want future titles and they know this reboot and Chief sticking around is one way to make sure Halo doesn't get buried soon. They ditched the Reclaimer trilogy thing and now turned it into the Reclaimer saga. Chief is the Reclaimer.

Anyways, you're welcome to your opinions and speculations. You're right, we'll find out in 18 months. Halo's life is truly on the line.

After 2 main entry flops (not counting MCC), you legitimately believe you're convinced they'll kill Chief and Cortana at the end of Infinite? After all that time and energy spent letting us know Infinite is a spiritual reboot and all about Chief, beginning to end? If they were going to kill him off, why would they spiritually reboot it? Don't you think they would have left the art style and everything alone if they were going to simply kill him? Because the fans will be furious if they finally gave them the art style they asked for just to end his life at the end lol. We already felt like we were stabbed in the back falling or 4 and 5. If they kill him after all of this next year, Halo's officially dead. Nothing against you man, but I don't understand. Hopefully I'm not coming off as rude, I just don't get it haha. Too many signs point to Chief's longevity in this series. They want future titles and they know this reboot and Chief sticking around is one way to make sure Halo doesn't get buried soon. They ditched the Reclaimer trilogy thing and now turned it into the Reclaimer saga. Chief is the Reclaimer.

Anyways, you're welcome to your opinions and speculations. You're right, we'll find out in 18 months. Halo's life is truly on the line.
Here's how I arrived at my conclusion of the story ,
Mainline Halo has always been the adventures of chief and cortana with that premise in mindi I can only conclude A few possible outcomes for infinite .
1. Chief kills/contains cortana and saves humanity (again)
2 cortana is somehow healed/fixed and rejoins chief to save the day (again)
3 chief and cortana die at conclusion of story
4 cortana wins and kills/contains chief

One of the few people that doesn't act like a Super Soldier in his late 40's is ready to retire! I never understand why everyone looks at Chief and sees an old man on his last leg. I mean, I've heard of people 100+ still going strong as though they were in their 20's. 500 years into the future, humans live longer, healthier lives than we do, so I just don't understand it at all.

I do have to agree though; side games are great and tell their own story, but they always tie into Chief's legacy. So I can't see Chief dying quite so soon if ever. If Steve Downes ever does decide to throw in the towel and call it a life, they'll likely either rework things with Locke, Alpha Nine, or we'll end up carrying on the torch with his Spartan brother, Jerome.
But If it is spiritual reboot to the series then he is not going anywhere or maybe he will just die in infinite but comes back in next installment........ I would love to see a big betrayal to the chief
I can't see chief dying, ever. I can see them leaving it where he went AWOL one day and never came back, or in a similar fashion to how Bungie did it, where he was in cryo, waiting for someone to find him (something along those lines) but they won't kill him off just for shock value after all this. With the new engine, they'll give him at least a few more games before the idea of him risking it all to save everything pops up again.
OFC Cheif will die at some time in the Halo universe but not in Infinite, as it wouldn't make any sense they now understand what the community wants they have changed a lot of things for the community I doubt they will throw the legacy of chief away from that, but good point overall I love the forums these days.
Yes absolutely both he and cortana will die at the end of infinite. no question about it in my mind.
They wouldn't just kill chief of in Halo Infinite, it wouldn't make sense because this is the Halo game we have all been waiting for 343 to actual listen to us and our ideas and they just did that such as, Art style, Split screen and many more, so no I don't think chief will die maybe cortana but she is pretty much dead anyways.
I absolutely despise the sole idea of Chief dying in Halo Infinite, it's not time yet.

Halo Infinite is the Halo 4 I was waiting for since I finished Halo 3's campaign in 2008 and I can not accept for him to die until at least ""Halo 9"" -> and this is because Halo is about to resurrect as it was dead since 2012...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2