Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Will the Flood return in Halo Infinite?

OP AzureCryptum

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
We haven't fought the Flood in Halo since Halo 3 (unless you count the Halo Wars games) so do you think that they'll make a return in Infinite? I'd love to see them back because personally I always found them way more interesting to fight than the Prometheans, plus the fact that Infinite is returning to the setting of a Halo ring makes me think that we'll definitely be seeing them again. If they don't show up I think it'd be a huge missed opportunity on 343's part, but what do you think?
I've missed the Flood... strange considering how terrifying they actually are lol. But despite how much I miss them, I doubt they will be returning in Infinite. The 343 writers have so much they need to cram into this game. They've got Cortana and her forces, humanity, and the Banished. That's three factions fighting it out in Halo, and I don't see how 343 can cram in a fourth one without confusing everyone.
I've missed the Flood... strange considering how terrifying they actually are lol. But despite how much I miss them, I doubt they will be returning in Infinite. The 343 writers have so much they need to cram into this game. They've got Cortana and her forces, humanity, and the Banished. That's three factions fighting it out in Halo, and I don't see how 343 can cram in a fourth one without confusing everyone.
they dont need to cram all 3 in. They just need to tell a story regarding Escharum and have some tidbits sprinkled throughout that may hint at other things or allude to the over arching story with cortana. Then through story additions (cause its painfully obvious they are going to add story expansions to the game) they can introduce and or resolve the various factions. They dont need to all be in one story at launch
they dont need to cram all 3 in. They just need to tell a story regarding Escharum and have some tidbits sprinkled throughout that may hint at other things or allude to the over arching story with cortana. Then through story additions (cause its painfully obvious they are going to add story expansions to the game) they can introduce and or resolve the various factions. They dont need to all be in one story at launch
Yeah, if I’m honest I’d rather 343 just forget about Cortana and the Prometheans for Infinite, which would obviously solve the problem of having too many factions involved. I definitely think the most important thing is for them to get the Banished and Escharum right, but the Flood showing up would be a great addition IMO since we haven’t seen them for so long. But that’s just my opinion, I personally wasn’t a fan of the whole Cortana storyline in Halo 5 and didn’t enjoy fighting the Prometheans, but I’m sure that some people were and might like to see that storyline continued in Infinite too.
Yeah, if I’m honest I’d rather 343 just forget about Cortana and the Prometheans for Infinite, which would obviously solve the problem of having too many factions involved. I definitely think the most important thing is for them to get the Banished and Escharum right, but the Flood showing up would be a great addition IMO since we haven’t seen them for so long. But that’s just my opinion, I personally wasn’t a fan of the whole Cortana storyline in Halo 5 and didn’t enjoy fighting the Prometheans, but I’m sure that some people were and might like to see that storyline continued in Infinite too.
thats something they def should not do. There are ways to include and or mention the faction to instill a sense of presence without using them outright in the launch campaign (shadows of reach does this). Dismissing or getting rid of them entirely only hurts the macro-level story of halo.
thats something they def should not do. There are ways to include and or mention the faction to instill a sense of presence without using them outright in the launch campaign (shadows of reach does this). Dismissing or getting rid of them entirely only hurts the macro-level story of halo.
Yeah it's too late to just ignore that they exist. Cortana and her forces have been indirectly mentioned in a few books like Halo Envoy, and then directly appear in books like Bad Blood. They're too well integrated into the overall story to just be written off and never mentioned again. I didn't like H5's storyline either, and I don't particularly enjoy fighting Prometheans, but they exist now, so we have to address them.

I'm enjoying the way Shadows of Reach is handling the Created though. They're mentioned as a threat that the UNSC best not provoke. Could make for an interesting mechanic in Infinite. You can fight the Banished all day long, but you can't attract too much attention or Prometheans will show up that you'll have to deal with. Alternatively, if you're getting overwhelmed by the Banished, you could provoke a Promethean attack in order to distract the Banished forces.
There is a possibility, since they returned in Halo Wars 2, and the game officially takes place on Zeta Halo, I think it's very likely.
I think the Flood will return. Most likely in some DLC down the road though.
Reasons that the Flood will be in Halo Infinite:
- Gravemind's last words at the end of Halo 3 were along the lines of "You slowed down the Flood, but were not close to stopping the Flood." Major foreshadowing.
- The flood broke out in Halo Wars 2, so the Flood are still a possibility in the post-Bungie era.
- Halo Infinite is a spiritual reboot of Halo CE, and what better way to reboot the franchise than with landing on the ring, fighting aliens, and then unleashing the Flood?
- Halo Infinite is the last mainline game for 10 years. If the campaign is going to have updates or includes DLCs, I don't expect to be fighting only Banished and Prometheans for ten whole years. I expect some Flood.
- Zeta Halo is heavily related to the Flood.
- Reintroducing the Flood would create an interesting dynamic in the current state of the Halo Universe. The Created are pretty much uncontested, and I don't know how Chief could possibly destroy the Created if Cortana is as powerful as she was in Halo 5. The Banished surrendered themselves to the Created, so they aren't willing to take on the Created. Either the Flood are meant to destroy the Created, or I'm missing something.
Reasons that the Flood will be in Halo Infinite:
- Gravemind's last words at the end of Halo 3 were along the lines of "You slowed down the Flood, but were not close to stopping the Flood." Major foreshadowing.
- The flood broke out in Halo Wars 2, so the Flood are still a possibility in the post-Bungie era.
- Halo Infinite is a spiritual reboot of Halo CE, and what better way to reboot the franchise than with landing on the ring, fighting aliens, and then unleashing the Flood?
- Halo Infinite is the last mainline game for 10 years. If the campaign is going to have updates or includes DLCs, I don't expect to be fighting only Banished and Prometheans for ten whole years. I expect some Flood.
- Zeta Halo is heavily related to the Flood.
- Reintroducing the Flood would create an interesting dynamic in the current state of the Halo Universe. The Created are pretty much uncontested, and I don't know how Chief could possibly destroy the Created if Cortana is as powerful as she was in Halo 5. The Banished surrendered themselves to the Created, so they aren't willing to take on the Created. Either the Flood are meant to destroy the Created, or I'm missing something.
Seing more stuff like The Created or kinda Forerunner Versus Flood thing would be awesome.
For some reason, I really hope not. We've seen enough of the flood and even though I wonder what next gen can do with the flood, I'm tired of them. It would just be another silly old outbreak with high stakes thats already been done like 5 times. We just need fun covenant/forerunner enemies and it'll be fine. Maybe introduce new covenant species or different promethean builds. Or even insurrectionist humans. I just really don't want to see the flood for the sake of having the flood.
For some reason, I really hope not. We've seen enough of the flood and even though I wonder what next gen can do with the flood, I'm tired of them. It would just be another silly old outbreak with high stakes thats already been done like 5 times. We just need fun covenant/forerunner enemies and it'll be fine. Maybe introduce new covenant species or different promethean builds. Or even insurrectionist humans. I just really don't want to see the flood for the sake of having the flood.
I can understand that sentiment. I'd hate for the Flood to just be there for the sake of being there. But I think the Flood could work well. Each game the Flood has appeared in (CE-H3) has been a little different, both in game play and in narrative impact. In CE the Flood were little more than a parasitic lifeform that could be dealt with by destroying Installation 04. In H2 we got introduced to the Gravemind and learned that the Flood was a centralized hive-mind intelligence with a plan. In H3, the Flood became better understood and the variety of enemy units expanded somewhat.

So long as future Flood installments can continue to add something new to the dynamic, I think they could work as an interesting enemy faction.
fun covenant/forerunner enemies? Well yeah, I remember how much "fun" I had with the Prometheans in Halo 4 and of course Halo 5 - not. It's just an jumping, teleporting nightmare.

Also: I didn't had to read any comics or books for CE to unterstand the Flood - I always got much information about the flood - but the Prometheans? Well it#s totally complicated, not at last because the campaigns of Halo 4/5 was borfing af.

Seeing the flood in HW2 is a good sign.
It's possible considering Installation 07 has alot of flood related history but it's hard to say at this point. Considering the lack of serious attention they've gotten in the main titles of the reclaimer saga, it might not happen but at the same time, it seems 343 wants to be a little retro with this spiritual reboot so anything is possible. I'm personally fine with either/or at this point, they're definitely a good source of thrill fueled adrenaline in the games but I would understand if they don't appear.
I couldn't help but notice your comment and I remember once reading that 343 hired a writer who's known for integrating multiple factions so this could be a real "time will tell" situation.
I really hope so. I find the flood way more interesting than The Created.
I really hope so. I find the flood way more interesting than The Created.
Same, though I don't dislike the created inherently. I feel they could use a slight design and gameplay overhaul to make them a bit more interesting.
The lore Bungie built and later 343 expanded on with the flood is intriguing, but the likelihood of the flood returning or being the source of attention is slim. The biggest contention about the flood returning at launch is that nobody wants to be retold the same story from the previous saga and their inclusion could add further obstacles to the story writers as of right now. However, 343 could still expand further on their lore whether it could be the past or the present (Terminals, intels, etc) during the launch of the game without them being the spotlight of the game. The flood in Halo 1-2 may not have been very enjoyable to fight but I particularly admire how well they can add horror and mystery into the atmosphere of the game.
The floods return would definitely be very interesting.
Ken Static wrote:
It's possible considering Installation 07 has alot of flood related history but it's hard to say at this point. Considering the lack of serious attention they've gotten in the main titles of the reclaimer saga, it might not happen but at the same time, it seems 343 wants to be a little retro with this spiritual reboot so anything is possible. I'm personally fine with either/or at this point, they're definitely a good source of thrill fueled adrenaline in the games but I would understand if they don't appear.
I couldn't help but notice your comment and I remember once reading that 343 hired a writer who's known for integrating multiple factions so this could be a real "time will tell" situation.
I mean if they can get it done, then I'm all for it. It's just a tall order to include the Created subjugating the galaxy, the Prometheans fighting for her, the Banished causing problems for everyone, and the UNSC fighting on all fronts. Throwing in the Flood would go beyond chaotic for the narrative. I'm a pretty knowledgeable lore nerd, and my head is already spinning...

It reminds me of Star Wars Episode IX. That movie had so many issues to resolve that it became a jumbled mess of plot lines and themes. I'd rather Infinite just focus on one simple storyline to start, and then expand later (with this ten year plan thing) when they have a better footing.
Now since Halo Infinite is planned to be a decade long game, I expect to see more than three factions and the DLC's for Halo Infinite would most certainly of course add in new campaign levels.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2