Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Will there be microtransactions?

OP Boss Sensai

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I liked the way 343 handled microtransactions with Halo 5.

You could unlock any armor pieces without spending real money. Could just grind through it. The only thing I remember being unable to grind for is the voice pack as it was purchase only, which wasn't even that great to begin with.

There were no map packs dlc's separating players (truly hated those). And I loved that about the game. Everyone got the newest warzone maps. Everyone got the chance to grind for the newest armor. Everyone got to enjoy the content updates.

The idea of microtransactions was handled well, because it didn't divide the remaining player base. And as long as they stick to that formula, I don't mind microtransactions being in Halo Infinite (which they most likely will).
Is this clickbait? You can't seriously be able to legitimately rationalise this.
Oh, of course not.

They should just provide you with new map packs, for free. Weapon skins? Free. New armor sets? All free.

Microtransactions in this game were fully optional, unless you wanted the voice pack. They supported devs while they pushed out new map packs, warzone modes, etc. Hell, you didn't even have to spend money on microt. on the game to get new updates stuff. Give them a break. Microtransactions are a part of most, if not all games now. As long as they don't stop you from progressing in the game, I don't see anything wrong with them.
Microtransaction created a pay to win lotery system that is becoming illegal in several countries. Somehow a smaller studio, Respawn entertainment, was able to give out free mps and dlc without loot boxes or a pay to win system. There's no reason 343 needs to use questionable predatory schemes to bring cash from its playerbase. People who support such kinds of possibly illegal behavior are part of the problem. I'd rather be part of the solution.
So enlighten us with a solution
Seriously, people are still so quick literally demonizing any forms of microtransaction
yet they always fail to provide a developer-productive yet consumer-friendly alternative,
an idea that would would be able to please both sides
H5G didn't innovate MT's but it handled them indeed pretty well, compared to a lot of other games
(SWBF2 being a good example here)Triple AAA Games keep getting more & more expensive for Developers and especially bigger companies
heavily rely on forthgoing sources of income to keep the price of newly released games as they are

INSxWrath is right, they found a pretty decent middleway with their way
I never had to spend real money yet I have been able to get a everything I wanted
and I also never have been handicaped in any Game Mode

So please, again, enlighten us and share you're wisdom with us, with the "part of the problem"
SMOK69KMK wrote:

You could unlock any armor pieces without spending real money. Could just grind through it. The only thing I remember being unable to grind for is the voice pack as it was purchase only, which wasn't even that great to begin with.

There were no map packs dlc's separating players (truly hated those). And I loved that about the game. Everyone got the newest warzone maps. Everyone got the chance to grind for the newest armor. Everyone got to enjoy the content updates.

The idea of microtransactions was handled well, because it didn't divide the remaining player base. And as long as they stick to that formula, I don't mind microtransactions being in Halo Infinite (which they most likely will).
Is this clickbait? You can't seriously be able to legitimately rationalise this.
Oh, of course not.

They should just provide you with new map packs, for free. Weapon skins? Free. New armor sets? All free.

Microtransactions in this game were fully optional, unless you wanted the voice pack. They supported devs while they pushed out new map packs, warzone modes, etc. Hell, you didn't even have to spend money on microt. on the game to get new updates stuff. Give them a break. Microtransactions are a part of most, if not all games now. As long as they don't stop you from progressing in the game, I don't see anything wrong with them.
Microtransaction created a pay to win lotery system that is becoming illegal in several countries. Somehow a smaller studio, Respawn entertainment, was able to give out free mps and dlc without loot boxes or a pay to win system. There's no reason 343 needs to use questionable predatory schemes to bring cash from its playerbase. People who support such kinds of possibly illegal behavior are part of the problem. I'd rather be part of the solution.
Seriously, people are still so quick literally demonizing any forms of microtransaction
yet they always fail to provide a developer-productive yet consumer-friendly alternative,
H5G didn't innovate MT's but it handled them indeed pretty well, compared to a lot of other games
(SWBF2 being a good example here)Triple AAA Games keep getting more & more expensive for Developers and especially bigger companies
heavily rely on forthgoing sources of income to keep the price of newly released games as they are

I never had to spend real money yet I have been able to get a everything I wanted

So please, again, enlighten us and share you're wisdom with us, with the "part of the problem"
I guess I mentioned Respawn entertainment, but forgot to mention the game. See titanfall 2. I'm not saying it wasn't without issues, because it did lack in maps and some options given by its predecessor. But there were no loot boxes in any fashion. There was no way to buy ANYTHING that affected gameplay. There was a limited amount of cosmetics available by purchase for those who want to support the devs. These were direct purchases, what you saw was what u get, not a loot box gambling system. There was absolutely no way to buy an advantage with money. And more importantly they too had free dlc. The added maps, and constantly put time and resources into tweaking the game and improving balance. All was for free.

If someone wants to throw money at the devs, that thier prerogative. They can buy cosmetics, I don't care. Just keep those cosmetics separate from those unlocked thru gameplay. Don't use gambling systems, loot boxes, or pay to win type microtransactions to prey on your playerbase. I'd rather have a full featured $60 AAA with no further updates than one that has withheld, missing, and overlooked content. Some of which content was soley withheld to be praised as free dlc later.
Anytime I hear micro transactions I cringe, just the way other games have implemented them as pay to win is frustrating. H5G did it better but it still felt frustrating openening up packs to to get what you truly wanted 113 levels ago :(
-Cheers
As people have said, there is no doubt there will be micro-transactions of some kind. We just don't know what it'll be yet and whether it'll be intrusive to the gameplay.
I understand 343 has a real passion for the franchise so I hope Microsoft especially doesn't get too greedy when it comes to figuring out how they make extra money off the game. Really, I believe they should be giving 343 as much freedom and support as they can to make this game the absolute best it can be (and perhaps they are) so it can become a convincing system seller!
SMOK69KMK wrote:

Oh, of course not.

INS did not factor in the fact that lootboxes strip value from every item in the game. Armour, Cosmetics, Assassinations, none have any value anymore, and Halo 5 provided a system where nothing means anything.
There was a system in place that had you move up the ladder from bronze to gold lootboxes but the sheer fact of the matter is, it is possible, has happened and continue TO happen that people will unlock rare and legendary items that people will ask them how they got, or ask themselves.
If the answer is "I got lucky" nothing is gained, nothing is worked for, nothing has value.

If you want a non predatory, non needed, non I-will-open-lootboxes-until-I-get-what-I-WANT system, look at Monster Hunter World!
Why is all the DLC, from the Deviljho, to the Kulve Taroth monthly event and all armour in between free?
No lootboxes? No forced armour buying sprees?
The game's armour is gained through the mechanics of the game, it's literally built within it's core.
All microtransactions are away from the consumer in the store where they can buy stuff when they want to, and aren't reminded of it's presence. That way, the game Is GOOD before it's a system that will allow you to buy more if you would so want.

Now, granted, Halo can't make a system where the very purpose of the game is made to get armour and weapons, granted.
However, you can try SO MUCH harder then to put all your armour into a system that makes it so that every cool looking person, every spartan wearing badass armour didn't work for it, so in turn you don't care about them, and vice versa, you don't care about yourself.

People don't need to suggest how to stop this cause Halo Reach did it almost 8 YEARS AGO.
How about have microtransactions IF YOU NEED THEM (which nobody needs them), in a store where you buy it, away from the action. Emotes, extra armour (on top of a gigantic library of armour), maybe some special assassinations, voice announcers, what have you.

No lootboxes, no loss of armour value, no blood-boiling corporate greed; Just a system where you earn everything upon your own achievement, and microtransactions don't bother you anywhere.
People shouldn't accept anything above this, Halo 5 provided content that should've been in the game to begin with, and they justified it as "Free DLC" and put microtransactions in the game so that people would defend them for "Free DLC" when in reality, they just released the game unfinished.
This way, they make a good game, and please everyone with a microtransactions system that is hard to find so as to not annoy consumers.

Cause, seriously, who here WANTS Microtransactions in any game?
It would seem people defend them because they feel sorry for 343, not because they actually want them. 343 should be making us happy, not the other way around, don't forget that.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3