Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Will there Be Ranked In Halo Infinite?

OP Tresor564

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I would guess that a portion of the matchmaking system will utilize some form of skill based ranking like seen in many of the previous Halo titles like Halo 3, 4 and MCC. There do also exist a subset of the Halo community who expects a competitive based portion of the multiplayer and it would probably not be a wise decision for 343 Industries to disappoint this subset of the Halo community.
Cody15x wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
Cody15x wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
1-50
IDK about that one chief, I liked the H5 rankings more actually I feel like I'm grinding for a level with 1-50 rather than a medal. Is this what others feel though?
I personaly enjoy having a rank that I know will be there next time I get back on. I played H3 to death getting 50s in different playlists. Why bother trying to rank up in H5 if next season I have to start over?
Not saying H5's system is bad. It just never held the same sort of weight to me.

You don’t really start all over though. You have to play 10 placement matches but your matchmaking rating carries over each season.
thats not true anymore now that 343 made it so the highest rank you can get after placement matches is diamond 3
But your MMR stays the same. It just takes some matches for your CSR to catch up.
thats why i quit ranked didn't want to waste my time time playing 100 games trying to get to champ
If there's a ranking system, it better be TrueSkill2. Not this ridiculous Halo 2 ranking system.

TrueSkill2 is undeniably one of the best (if not the best) ranking systems out there. It is very accurate and very fast. Why would you want anything less for a ranking system? It just sucks that game companies have to pay Microsoft to use it in their games, resulting in many games using TrueSkill2 knockoffs that aren't as good.

Ranking systems like Halo 2 (and even Destiny 2) just suck. It starts at the bottom, instead of in the middle and the better you are at the game, the longer it takes for you to reach your 'actual skill level'. Because of this, you're a lot more likely to have people in your game that claim to be your level but are higher than your 'actual skill level' because these people are still yet to reach their 'actual skill level'.

TL;DR:
A CSR 20 game consists of people that have a skill level of >= CSR 20 and it will take exponentially longer to reach your 'actual skill level'.
A Halo 5 Gold game consists of people that have a skill level of ~Gold.

It's just not fun to play a game where the enemy team is obviously above your skill level, and then you lose, and then you get deranked. And it's not even the player's fault, it's the game's.
If this was to ever happen in a TrueSkill2 game, it would either be because the enemies had a lucky game, your team had an unlucky game, or because the enemy team was abusing the algorithm (typically smurfing). Either way, it was not the game's fault.

And don't even make me mention the 'confidence level' that TrueSkill2 has. It's amazing. Essentially, the more games you play, the less the MMR change when you win/lose games as the algroithm becomes more confident that you are reaching your 'actual skill level'.
to this day, Halo 2s ranking system is my all time favorite system of any game.

id personally love to see 1-50 again (h2 style and not the much easier h3 style). But if i cant have that then id at least like an Overwatch model where i still get an exact number and not JUST a tier
To be honest:

I HATE that Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platin, Diamond ranking...

Know why?

Cause Gold used to be the highest thing you can get. Nowadays, looking on so many games, gold or even silver, whcih meant the 2nd place, are so underrated.

If they will continue with that I hope there will be NO diamond etc, I want Gold and Silver to be on the top again.
Also I prefer a ranking system, which grant you special ranks or symbols for your spartan template
ClRQUE wrote:
Cody15x wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
1-50
IDK about that one chief, I liked the H5 rankings more actually I feel like I'm grinding for a level with 1-50 rather than a medal. Is this what others feel though?
I personaly enjoy having a rank that I know will be there next time I get back on. I played H3 to death getting 50s in different playlists. Why bother trying to rank up in H5 if next season I have to start over?
Not saying H5's system is bad. It just never held the same sort of weight to me.

You don’t really start all over though. You have to play 10 placement matches but your matchmaking rating carries over each season.
thats not true anymore now that 343 made it so the highest rank you can get after placement matches is diamond 3
I think he meant you'd get around the same range that you got last time I remember my first season I place in plat 1 and I got to onyx pretty easily after that the lowest i would get ranked in Diamond 1
I wasn't the biggest fan of the Ranking system in Halo 5. To me it seemed really generic and bland... I am hoping for some hybrid type of ranking where there's an account Rank and a number rank for individual playlists. I'm always up for new systems too!
Tresor564 wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
Cody15x wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
1-50

I think he meant you'd get around the same range that you got last time I remember my first season I place in plat 1 and I got to onyx pretty easily after that the lowest i would get ranked in Diamond 1
Diamond 3 and champ are vet different things
ClRQUE wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
Cody15x wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
1-50

Usually Champs grind out early in the season though before there are any onyx's so you would only have to get past diamond 6 (which isn't that hard) to be champ if you start late then its a grind but only because others have been working towards their CSR
Tresor564 wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
Cody15x wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
1-50

Usually Champs grind out early in the season though before there are any onyx's so you would only have to get past diamond 6 (which isn't that hard) to be champ if you start late then its a grind but only because others have been working towards their CSR
My point is it was better when u could start as onyx cuz who wants to be diamond
ClRQUE wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
ClRQUE wrote:
Cody15x wrote:
Tresor564 wrote:
1-50

My point is it was better when u could start as onyx cuz who wants to be diamond
yeah I can understand that I don't agree with how grindy the made it post HCS it really turned a lot of my friends off from the game
But isn't this the exact situation that forced 343 to make Diamond 3 the maximum starting rank?

Players who would 'massage' the system and get an early high rank when the ranking population was low - and then sit on it for the rest of the season.

Surely there should be a grind to onyx and champ. We are talking about the top 2-3% of the rankings. It would be hard for any ranking system to quickly identify who really belongs in that section in a handful of games.

And isn't the journey (grind) part of the destination?

Full disclosure - I am a proud and passionate mid-platinum player (who gets really annoyed when teamed with higher ranked players, even diamonds, who are actually quite rubbish).

Personally I would only give people a 'preliminary' ranking after their 10 games - Bronze to Diamond (with no numbers shown). Then, after a set period of time (or number of games played) - unveil your actual division and then show which players are Onyx / Champion.
I'd be surprised if Halo Infinite didn't have ranked playlists. As far as actual ranking goes in the playlist, I would like to see Halo 5's ranking system take another form in Infinite, I really liked how it was structured in that game and the length of seasons near the end felt right (3 months each).
Profesnol wrote:
I'd be surprised if Halo Infinite didn't have ranked playlists. As far as actual ranking goes in the playlist, I would like to see Halo 5's ranking system take another form in Infinite, I really liked how it was structured in that game and the length of seasons near the end felt right (3 months each).
I agree! I think it's important to have seasons not be too long. You wan't your player base coming back for more!
definatly!
To be honest:

I HATE that Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platin, Diamond ranking...

Know why?

Cause Gold used to be the highest thing you can get. Nowadays, looking on so many games, gold or even silver, whcih meant the 2nd place, are so underrated.

If they will continue with that I hope there will be NO diamond etc, I want Gold and Silver to be on the top again.
Also I prefer a ranking system, which grant you special ranks or symbols for your spartan template
I hate the various ranks and the season resets. I'd prefer to see the Halo 3 ranking system come back where its based on true skill and EXP (wins). No rank resets, no fighting to hit a new tier that you'll likely be bumped out of, just a straight up highest rank in a playlist and wins.
To be honest, the dumbest thing about the halo 5 ranking system is the titles. I read on the forums here, a 343 employee explaining to people in the community how he helped invent the formula and tier naming system, and league of legends took it from him and then "it became the norm" in the gaming industry. He mentioned all this when was asked about why it was changed from 1-50 to the diamond gold onyx stupid crap. So basically did not explain why it was changed from 1-50 to the naming system, just explained that he was the one who came up with it when pressed about why they are copying whats popular in the industry instead of doing their own thing. Was it changed for the sake of just being changed? Probably. It was probably also changed due to ego's being involved, and more importantly, the trend of "doing what is popular" in todays day and age instead of just leaving something that worked perfectly fine and was easy to understand.

The fact that I have to google platinum, diamond, onyx, to see which order they are in, is ridiculous. And half the time I don't remember and get platinum and diamond confused.

Why anyone would have a naming system like that in which people have to learn and memorize, rather than using a number system that every halo player is already ACCUSTOMED TO and is capable of understanding without ANY explanation, is beyond me. But who knows. If they were smart, they would change it back to 1-50 for infinite. But I highly doubt it.
As long as TS2 is used they can call the tiers whatever they want. I honestly don't understand why people put the 1-50 on a pedestal when it was more basic (and less accurate).
To be honest, the dumbest thing about the halo 5 ranking system is the titles. I read on the forums here, a 343 employee explaining to people in the community how he helped invent the formula and tier naming system, and league of legends took it from him and then "it became the norm" in the gaming industry. He mentioned all this when was asked about why it was changed from 1-50 to the diamond gold onyx stupid crap. So basically did not explain why it was changed from 1-50 to the naming system, just explained that he was the one who came up with it when pressed about why they are copying whats popular in the industry instead of doing their own thing. Was it changed for the sake of just being changed? Probably. It was probably also changed due to ego's being involved, and more importantly, the trend of "doing what is popular" in todays day and age instead of just leaving something that worked perfectly fine and was easy to understand.

The fact that I have to google platinum, diamond, onyx, to see which order they are in, is ridiculous. And half the time I don't remember and get platinum and diamond confused.

Why anyone would have a naming system like that in which people have to learn and memorize, rather than using a number system that every halo player is already ACCUSTOMED TO and is capable of understanding without ANY explanation, is beyond me. But who knows. If they were smart, they would change it back to 1-50 for infinite. But I highly doubt it.
To be honest I liked the tier system better I never have been a fan of 1-50 because I feel like I'm just grinding for a level and I don't crave ranking up in any way on top of that I also liked the top 200 Champions It always gave me something I wanted to reach. My only complaint is that I can't see what rank the people are that I'm going up against prior to the game starting, that would honestly liven things up.
Ken Static wrote:
Knowing alot of online games with player vs player, ranking will most likely be implemented. I wouldn't mind ranking similar to how Halo 4 did it with 1 to 50 for CSR.
The ranking system that wasnt in game, where you had to login to waypoint just to see what rank you were? No thanks.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3