First off I didn't grow up with Halo. Halo CE came out a while after I was out of high school. My gaming youth was spend with Mario and Streetfighter. So I've seen games evolve from early on the gaming market (we had an Atari playing Pac-man when kids now are starting on Minecraft). Games need change however H5 is excessive. I couldn't even guess how many hours, days, months, and years I've spent playing Halo. I'm not saying I'm one of the best halo players but over the years I've always been pretty decsent better than most randoms you run into. H5 is the first Halo game I've struggled with in playing matchmaking. A while ago playing a Slayer I was completely shut out twice. I had 2 games where I had 0 kills, never in all my years has this happened. I was in shock! I almost gave up on Halo Multiplayer until I started watching tips vidoes on youtube. I had to study just to play Halo? WTF!? I think this is the main reason Halo isn't drawing new players. I think theirs 2 main reasons and a few less imporant factors that would change that. So my wishlist is simple.
1. Thrusters would be ok as ONE of many Armor Ablities. If Thruster is the only Ability, we are forced to adopt a certain playstyle in order to play up to a certain standard. You are forced to MASTER when to use them or not. With other Armor Ablities in a game your skill with this would be more forgiving,and for most new comers this would be a welcome change. Mastery of the thrusters would still be there for those people with an aggresive playstyle and the dedication to acheive it.
Evade however would be a more natural defensive manuver. A roll across the ground to get behind cover. Having to be on the ground in order to even activate evade and not being able to shoot while in the manuver helps it be more situational/defensive. Also linking it to a double tap button like the hunter class in that bungie game, would keep a button free for Thrusters or additional Armor Abilities to return.
2. Give us a reason to walk, unlimited sprint is too much. This makes the game have the Battlefield feel. Spawn, Run--Die. Repeat. Break it up a little, give me a reason to walk besides to recharge my sheilds (please remove that or have it in ranked only. It may be competitive,but by making victims out of new players for the hardcore peolpe and they will loose interest). Take the Advanced Sensors form Warzone and make it so if we are walking we don't show on the radar. People could still hear the foot steps at that pace, but then if you crouch the footsteps fade out.
Those are my two big Asks, they would tone Halo down and make it a notch less sweaty and better for new players.
A few smaller tweaks:
1. Make plasma work similar to HCE. Repeated plasma shots cause the player to slowdown. Want to keep the sheilds from recharging while sprinting? Use plasma. I might just pick up a covenant weapon for a secondary if that was the case. Give us a reason to vary our guns otherwise its a BR-fest.
2. Loose Armor skins. If you gotta have them, stick with a simple theme. Imagine the Scarred variant in H5 as skins. For example there's the Mark VI that looks New and pristine. Then second is a slightly used variant of the Mark VI scuffed up, missing paint, dirty. Finally the Scarred variant missing chunks of armor, cracked visor, bent pieces?
3. Where's the Falcon? Make the vehicles tougher, and balance that with how many it takes to use vs how many people it takes to destory it. I've seen lone players take out warthogs with a BR. Why is that even possible?
4. Halo maps, to me anyway, seem to make more memorable moments on medium size maps. Maps with vehicles and open areas to use them. Where's the Zanzibar sized maps? On little rat maze maps every one wants to be the hero, the lone wolf badass. Which can still happen on larger maps but mid sized maps let others shine in different ways. Good at close quarters? Guard or assault the base. Good at driving or gunning vehicles? Hold the middle. Do you like to snipe? Good! breath a little with the space.
5. Elites and Invasion. Just do it, enough said.
6. The campaign. If it really takes place on a Halo ring? Please,after all DLC is released, please make the whole ring explorable. All the surface. Let's have desert, Tundra, Jungle, Underwater, Underground, every inch of the ring.
7. Spartan Ops. It doesn't need insane cinematics. Just a good story to play as our custom spartan. My Spartan is the Hero, not someone 343 gives me, not Locke, Buck, Or even the Cheif. Just me and my friends in a fireteam.
8. Armor Abilites are OP. Bring them back but tone how often we can use them. Make them situational something I'm gonna hold onto until the right moment. The dropsheild from Halo reach should take more damage but can only be used every 2-3 of 3-4 minutes. Jetpack? Use it 2-3 time and your out of fuel go get some more. These could be tweaked to be liked, not hated.