Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Would yall be mad if

OP BigWinkyy69

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
An overwhelming number of fans have been upset with the campaign since Halo 4. What makes a lot of people angry is that those campaigns are cannon now, and attached to the Halo lore. Would you guys be mad if Halo Infinite is master chief waking up from a terrible nightmare from Halo 4, and Halo 5 in cryosleep and he picks up where Halo 3 left off? I honestly don't think I would be mad about that. What do yall think?
yes because him having a terrible nightmare would be even worse writing than h5's campaign. Nobody would take halo serious anymore.
nekrulz wrote:
yes because him having a terrible nightmare would be even worse writing than h5's campaign. Nobody would take halo serious anymore.
Lol yeah but its really hard to erase the horrors of the previous 2 campaigns.
nekrulz wrote:
Halo 4 had a perfectly fine campaign, its h5 that's an abomination.

Your idea would also make a whole ton of books pointless too.
nekrulz wrote:
While Halo 5 has its issues, to retcon so much story would definitely cause a split in the community. An even larger one than there already is regarding story. 343 just needs to take the criticisms they have received and go forward trying to make improvements
nekrulz wrote:
halo 4 had a decent campaign. they should've made the didact the main antagonist for the whole trilogy.
I wouldnt really be mad about a retcon but I also think that a bad dream wouldn't be a suitable option to execute the retcon.
Personally? No, I wouldn't.
However it'd be a terrible solution.

Halo 4's story is regarded as good.
However I never found the gameplay of the campaign, captivating or fun.

Halo 5, well that's a number of its own.
So how to fix those two issues?

Remake Halo 4's campaign as story-DLC with better gameplay for Infinite.
Remake Halo 5's campaign as story-DLC with enough small retcons and story add-ons to make it work well, for Infinite.
An overwhelming number of fans have been upset with the campaign since Halo 4. What makes a lot of people angry is that those campaigns are cannon now, and attached to the Halo lore. Would you guys be mad if Halo Infinite is master chief waking up from a terrible nightmare from Halo 4, and Halo 5 in cryosleep and he picks up where Halo 3 left off? I honestly don't think I would be mad about that. What do yall think?
Although I would support retconning the Halo 4 and 5, although very barely, no one would take it seriously, and most people would not like it.
I wouldnt really be mad about a retcon but I also think that a bad dream wouldn't be a suitable option to execute the retcon.
What would be an acceptable one?
Naqser wrote:

Halo 4's story is regarded as good.
However I never found the gameplay of the campaign, captivating or fun.

Remake Halo 5's campaign as story-DLC with enough small retcons and story add-ons to make it work well, for Infinite.
I like that. But they are not going to spend time fixing the terrible campaign of Halo 5.
Although I would support retconning the Halo 4 and 5, although very barely, no one would take it seriously, and most people would not like it.
Having Halo 5 as canon is so devastating for the franchise already though lol.
What would be an acceptable one?
I dont really think there is much of in a canonical to retcon H4 -> in a canonical way that would include those particular installments.

So pretty much the only option for me would be pretty much a simple raw retcon with just the real life reasons to start over. No dreams or other shady business included, simply stating that whats done is beyond salvaging & that there will be another attempt.
Pull a Disney and just declare H4 and H5 as non canon.
I have posted ways you could "restart" the Halo story from 3 actually. I honestly think if done correctly, it could be pretty good and very plausible.

So to answer your question OP, no I wouldn't be mad. Halo 5 story, even halo 4 to a degree, is poorly written and told in my opinion. Players shouldn't need outside sources to understand everything. Which, in Halo 4 and 5, you need to know if you want too. 343I need to stop writing Halos story as if everyone has reads all the books and comics and what not.
Naqser wrote:

Halo 4's story is regarded as good.However I never found the gameplay of the campaign, captivating or fun.

Bold - I don't totally agree with that. I would say 75% of the time when I hear someone that says they like Halo 4 story they always say they liked the interaction and the story between Chief and Cortana, not so much everything else in Halo 4.

Sorry for not quoting this in my last post, I hit submit prematurely.
Having Halo 5 as canon is so devastating for the franchise already though lol.
Retconning it is even more devastating to the work they actually did put in.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Bold - I don't totally agree with that. I would say 75% of the time when I hear someone that says they like Halo 4 story they always say they liked the interaction and the story between Chief and Cortana, not so much everything else in Halo 4.
Chief and Cortana were kind of the main focus on the majority of levels, the Didact was just there to apply pressure be build up for a story they seem to have abandoned now, which isn't the game's fault.

Players shouldn't need outside sources to understand everything. Which, in Halo 4 and 5, you need to know if you want too. 343I need to stop writing Halos story as if everyone has reads all the books and comics and what not.
Halo 4 needing the books is honestly overblown. Everything for the context of the game is explained in the game, it just sort of lacks build up. Halo 5 is honestly worse with the books. Outside of Blue Team in 5 the problems are poor writing, not book reliance. Halo 5 is honestly worse if you've read the books as you realize just how much Halo 5 ruined.
nekrulz wrote:
Halo 4 had a perfectly fine campaign, its h5 that's an abomination.

Your idea would also make a whole ton of books pointless too.
Absolutely. Halo 4's story was good. The only issues were some level design for the campaign really lacking much beyond 'go here, push button'.

Even the Spartan Ops story was good (even if the levels also suffered from the above).

If anything it was only after H4 that the 'main' story went a bit off track (killing/composing the Didact in a comic, killing Jul 'Mdama off in a cutscene).

Halo 4's issues were much more about the MP, whereas 5 is the other way round entirely.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2