Would yall be mad if

OP BigWinkyy69

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
MorseyBaby wrote:
nekrulz wrote:
yes because him having a terrible nightmare would be even worse writing than h5's campaign. Nobody would take halo serious anymore.
Lol yeah but its really hard to erase the horrors of the previous 2 campaigns.
Halo 4 had a perfectly fine campaign, its h5 that's an abomination.

Your idea would also make a whole ton of books pointless too.
Absolutely. Halo 4's story was good. The only issues were some level design for the campaign really lacking much beyond 'go here, push button'.

Even the Spartan Ops story was good (even if the levels also suffered from the above).

If anything it was only after H4 that the 'main' story went a bit off track (killing/composing the Didact in a comic, killing Jul 'Mdama off in a cutscene).

Halo 4's issues were much more about the MP, whereas 5 is the other way round entirely.
Yeah campaign gameplay was dry, and halo 4's sandbox and weapon placement were dreadful. I didn't find it enjoyable from a gameplay standpoint but that doesn't mean the story itself was bad. I didn't play spartan ops (no XBL) but the cutscenes were nice.

The didact and jul'mdama stuff I consider an h5 issue as they clearly decided to completely change course and just throw halo 4 (along with a lot of other canon) under the buss.
MorseyBaby wrote:
nekrulz wrote:
yes because him having a terrible nightmare would be even worse writing than h5's campaign. Nobody would take halo serious anymore.

Absolutely. Halo 4's story was good. The only issues were some level design for the campaign really lacking much beyond 'go here, push button'.

Even the Spartan Ops story was good (even if the levels also suffered from the above).

If anything it was only after H4 that the 'main' story went a bit off track (killing/composing the Didact in a comic, killing Jul 'Mdama off in a cutscene).

Halo 4's issues were much more about the MP, whereas 5 is the other way round entirely.
Yeah campaign gameplay was dry, and halo 4's sandbox and weapon placement were dreadful. I didn't find it enjoyable from a gameplay standpoint but that doesn't mean the story itself was bad. I didn't play spartan ops (no XBL) but the cutscenes were nice.

The didact and jul'mdama stuff I consider an h5 issue as they clearly decided to completely change course and just throw halo 4 (along with a lot of other canon) under the buss.
Disagree about the throwing canon under the bus, but entirely agree about changing direction. I still fundamentally believe the Halo 5 story was originally a much different story building on the awesome narrative being prepped in Hunt the Truth.

Reckon that they lost theit nerve about the possibility of Master Chief being seen too negatively for too long and the last minute rewrited wrecked the story. Feel like the concept was good but the execution was awful
Retcon'ing H4 and H5 would create some serious problems for the series... I mean there is some fantastic lore between H3 and H4 that would all go out the window, and even some truly amazing stuff that happened around H5 (Legacy of Onyx, Bad Blood, Envoy, and Renegades to name a few).

The good news I see is that H6 is supposedly going to take place a few years into the Created Uprising. So it wouldn't be too hard for 343 to create a story that glosses over some of the less-popular material from H4 and H5 and starts over fresh.
MorseyBaby wrote:
nekrulz wrote:

I have to agree here, I don't dislike the H5 story as much as some, it certainly wouldn't be one that I would look at again.

But I think in the end, 343 made H5, nothing can be done about that, it will always be here, I think now, 343 just needs to acknowledge the blunder and put in the hard yards to make sure Infinite isn't a repeat of H5
Oh it would make me furious. So much lore and content would have to be retconned. Halo Mythos entire ending would have to be scrapped, Halo Wars 2 would have to be considered non canon. All the books that take place before, during, and after would have to be thrown out plus a lot of characters that I like, like Lasky would either disappear or be different. So needless to say I would be soooo pissed if they retconned Halo 4 and 5.
MorseyBaby wrote:
nekrulz wrote:

I have to agree here, I don't dislike the H5 story as much as some, it certainly wouldn't be one that I would look at again.

But I think in the end, 343 made H5, nothing can be done about that, it will always be here, I think now, 343 just needs to acknowledge the blunder and put in the hard yards to make sure Infinite isn't a repeat of H5
I also think it is salvageable. Even though the reclaimer trilogy is now a saga I reckon some of Halo 5's problems come down to mid-Trilogy syndrome: hard to wrap the story up and set up for the next sequence (especially when a Halo 5.5 was originally planned but dropped, as we now know)
I don't care for H5 but yeah I'd be mad if they did that. What's happened so far is here to stay.
In the future, instead of posting multiple times in a row like this, please quote mulitple people in one post. Thanks!
While I'm not a fan of "it was all a dream" endings/retcons, if anything it should be Cortana's dream as she edges closer to Rampancy. She dreams of her Hero fighting for her life. Dying to protect him. Coming back to life. Achieving power that AIs can only dream of. And then going dark side pretty quick. Sounds like a decent rollercoaster ride for someone going insane/rampant.

But no. Just move on and try not to punch any new holes in it.
Yes, I'd be very mad if they just tossed Halo 4 and Halo 5 into the trash. I have no love for Halo 5, but ignoring it would only generate more problems for the story. Nobody who genuinely believes this would be a good idea has any merit saying Halo 4 or Halo 5 were poorly written when that's the best one can come up with. Halo 4's campaign is mostly solid and, really, no worse than any of the previous games. Nor does it really require you to read the books a ton, at least no more than previous games. Or are we going to ignore the whole reason we are fighting the Covenant is revealed until Halo: Contact Harvest? Or how Chief makes it back to Earth is in Halo: First Strike?
Nor does it really require you to read the books a ton, at least no more than previous games. Or are we going to ignore the whole reason we are fighting the Covenant is revealed until Halo: Contact Harvest? Or how Chief makes it back to Earth is in Halo: First Strike?
Tbh I feel like 'needing the books' has become a very overblown excuse in the community. I think it stems from the fact when people start to question what they just played, people who have read the books like to over explain and include information from the books, even if it really isn't necessary.

I think speculation based on book material has also caused this perception over time. I keep hearing people claim they need the books to understand the Warden Eternal, while as you know WE isn't in the books. I remember quite a few people speculating he might be the Warden AI, but beyond the name 'warden' they have nothing in common. He makes a small appearance in the comics but it doesnt really say anything h5 didn't say already, just re-confirming cortana is in complete control.

But I guess people find it easy to blame something they don't know.
Nor does it really require you to read the books a ton, at least no more than previous games. Or are we going to ignore the whole reason we are fighting the Covenant is revealed until Halo: Contact Harvest? Or how Chief makes it back to Earth is in Halo: First Strike?
Tbh I feel like 'needing the books' has become a very overblown excuse in the community. I think it stems from the fact when people start to question what they just played, people who have read the books like to over explain and include information from the books, even if it really isn't necessary.

I think speculation based on book material has also caused this perception over time. I keep hearing people claim they need the books to understand the Warden Eternal, while as you know WE isn't in the books. I remember quite a few people speculating he might be the Warden AI, but beyond the name 'warden' they have nothing in common. He makes a small appearance in the comics but it doesnt really say anything h5 didn't say already, just re-confirming cortana is in complete control.

But I guess people find it easy to blame something they don't know.
I think you hit on a lot of truth here. I do think sometimes people who love the lore are a bit too enthusiastic about it and forget their audience, but someones people see what they want. Like with Halo 4 apparently Chief and Cortana have a romance. They don't, but some folks have a hard time processing emotions for I assume various reasons. I know that's not really a book/lore related example, but you catch my drift.
Hahaha. I would leave Halo then and there if this was the case.
retconing H5 and H4 would be bad considering it would make a ton of books pointless it would also split the community like
One Will No Way
said even if halo 5's campaign is an abomination it shouldn't be retconed
This would be absolutely terrible. Halo 5 had the worst story in the games, however Halo 4 has hands-down the best story in all the games. To fully retcon them (no matter how bad 5 was) is such an awful decision. Doing the whole 'it was just a dream' method is one of the absolutely worst methods to writing a story. The best thing to do is write the best sequel possible.
MysticKami wrote:
While I'm not a fan of "it was all a dream" endings/retcons, if anything it should be Cortana's dream as she edges closer to Rampancy. She dreams of her Hero fighting for her life. Dying to protect him. Coming back to life. Achieving power that AIs can only dream of. And then going dark side pretty quick. Sounds like a decent rollercoaster ride for someone going insane/rampant.

But no. Just move on and try not to punch any new holes in it.
I really like that. Puts a good twist on it. Halo 5's campaign is almost unfixable though.
How would he have a dream that long? It would get all crazy, like having dreams about Cortana turning evil and trying to become a god.
Covering lazy writing more lazy writing wouldn't help, although adding in small DLC, as someone mentioned, could help alter it a little bit to make it salvageable in Infinite.
I wouldn't be very happy about that. From a narrative standpoint, I really enjoyed Halo 4. In terms of level design, the game could have done better, but it wasn't abysmal either so I still enjoyed it.

Halo 5's story wasn't great by many merits, but the sweeping it under the rug like it never happened just sounds beyond lazy. It was disappointing, but it can be addressed properly, and bad writing can still be reversed into something good. The story isn't just doomed off of that one game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2