Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Would you like to see H5 thrusters make a return?

OP Cybernyde

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Upon watching the Halo Infinite gameplay demo in July 2020, we all saw that sprint, clamber, and slide were making a return (at least in the campaign but therefore presumably also in multiplayer), but saw nothing about thrusters returning, which didn't quite make a whole lot of sense to me. In Halo 5, out of all the new movement mechanics, I thought thrusters were the best possible "advanced" movement mechanic they could have introduced to Halo as a franchise; however, in my opinion, clamber and slide seemed a bit too deviant from the Halo experience (and sprint will always be included from now on given it's prominence in the FPS genre as a whole, which as long as it doesn't detract from map design and the experience, it is what it is).

So, why do I hold thrusters in a higher regard, and think that out of all of H5's movement mechanics it should have been the one to return? In my opinion, compared to the other mechanics, thrusters actually make a contributing gameplay addition to Halo's golden triangle: guns, melee, and grenades. Thrusters provided an innate ability within all players to dodge a brief distance once every five seconds (on default settings). In a way, it was like jump-evading in previous games but more refined for horizontal movement. This puts each player at an even playing field right from the start for confrontations, but unlike clamber and slide, the key element would be player skill and timing with it's use, just as it is with guns, melee, and grenades. A player's judgement of when and how to use plus their skill at using those three core gameplay mechanics are ultimately what makes each confrontation in Halo so unique. With the addition of thrusters, each encounter then added a whole new layer of depth: you could dodge out of an enemy's line of fire or well-placed grenade, but if they're close to you, you can't dodge out of their melee until your thrusters cooldown. Then you have to make a smart decision as to when to use thrusters, and even outplay your opponent's use of thrusters themselves.

Thrusters added a whole new step to Halo's 30-second dance in Halo 5, one which I wish could return to Infinite as well. I wholeheartedly believe thrusters could find a place within Halo's golden triangle and in turn even potentially make it Halo's new golden square. That said, most of this does come down to my own personal enjoyment of the thrusters mechanic. Yet I've been playing a lot of MCC these days, as I'm sure many of you are as well, and I can certainly enjoy Halo without it. But I do think out of all the new mechanics introduced in Halo 5, thrusters are the one that can truly contribute the most to Halo's gameplay loop for examples I've given above. What do you think?

EDIT (pulled from my own reply to someone on this thread): Some of you might be concerned about the way it impacts Halo's triangle to begin with. I feel like this was the overall initial impression of equipment when it was introduced in Halo 3, concern of how it would affect Halo's triangle. But just like equipment, thrusters could, with intention, potentially interweave itself within the triangle and not detract from it, which is the reason equipment worked so well in Halo 3 (as explained by Ascend Hyperion in this video: https://youtu.be/RBkEpBpT_1Q?t=193). Thrusters intentionally added a new layer of depth to player confrontations, much like equipment did; although, you can't tell that someone has a certain piece of equipment equipped until they use it, where areas with thrusters you already know the other player shares that same ability with you, meaning you go into a confrontation already prepared with that knowledge that you and your opponent can both thrust and strategize accordingly, while with equipment it's more reactive given it's nature of only becoming known when played on the field. However equipment works because it intentionally changes the confrontation dynamic of guns, melee, and grenades whilst maintaining the balance that equipment works both ways, for it's user and the opponent. With thrusters, the balance is maintained as all players have the ability, and it's use can both be advantageous and detrimental to its user according to their use of it and skill in a given confrontation (like with equipment!) I think thrusters can interweave within Halo's golden triangle much the same way equipment did back in Halo 3.
No.

Absolutely not.
I really enjoyed the Thrusters in Halo5 and would love to see them return. Sprint, Clamber and Slide as well. I can do without Spartan Slam and Spartan Charge.
I feel opposite about slide and clamber, those felt more quality of life just like ads (most of the time), thrusters felt to game changing which made it have the use of a easy get out of jail free card or for faster movement with the sprint, slide, jump then thrust with the later being the cataclysm for the combo. I honestly don't think it should make a return
I think the Thrusters paired really well with the other abilities, allowing for insane map traversal techniques like the spring thrust.
Thrusters are easy to learn and hard to master, so they have a positive influence on the skill ceiling and skill gap. So I definitely hope they return.
No.

Absolutely not.
Ah yes, a very well thought out argument.
I feel opposite about slide and clamber, those felt more quality of life just like ads (most of the time), thrusters felt to game changing which made it have the use of a easy get out of jail free card or for faster movement with the sprint, slide, jump then thrust with the later being the cataclysm for the combo. I honestly don't think it should make a return
While it certainly helped players navigate the map with more ease (dodging a nade, getting into cover, not falling off the map) it also functioned as an essential mechanic in 1v1 gunfights. In these, a player can get shot first and not have to resign himself to death simply because he was caught unaware. It also raises the intensity level of individual fights due to the anticipation of the instantaneous thrust (good for spectators as well).

From what I can see, thrust makes it easier for a new player to navigate and correct small movement errors while also raising the skill ceiling for veterans. It is a win/win.
I definitely feel like thrusters added a cool nuance to Halo 5's gameplay that we hadn't seen before. I like thrusters for the added movement they gave you but I didn't really like that players could just change direction immediately in midair whenever they wanted to. I always felt that if a player was caught jumping in midair they should be somewhat vulnerable rather than simply being able to suddenly change trajectory, making aiming at them somewhat more difficult than it should be. Granted I guess that was the entire point of thruster to begin with but it just didn't really work for me.
Loved them in Halo 5, but no.
I mean they were interesting, but rather got back to Strafing
Loved the thrusters in Halo 5.

Really changed up the rules of engagement. Made it a little more about movement over initial positioning.

I could live with them being nerfed a little. Maybe not quite as quick, or as far. Longer cooldown.

Maybe change up the mechanic so you have an energy bar that slowly regenerates - using both thrusters to move forward or back uses more energy than going sideways (one thruster).

In regards to the maps... I agree that sprint + jump + forward thrust was overpowered and makes it very hard to control movement around the map. So maybe take out forward thrust and keep them to lateral movement only.

If you wanted to actually add to them... I'd love to be able to use them to turn around 180 degrees. You could then pull some Johnny Woo type manoeuvers... sprint, jump, and then turn around in mid-air.
It should be in customs
Cybernyde wrote:
Upon watching the Halo Infinite gameplay demo in July 2020, we all saw that sprint, clamber, and slide were making a return (at least in the campaign but therefore presumably also in multiplayer), but saw nothing about thrusters returning, which didn't quite make a whole lot of sense to me. In Halo 5, out of all the new movement mechanics, I thought thrusters were the best possible "advanced" movement mechanic they could have introduced to Halo as a franchise; however, in my opinion, clamber and slide seemed a bit too deviant from the Halo experience (and sprint will always be included from now on given it's prominence in the FPS genre as a whole, which as long as it doesn't detract from map design and the experience, it is what it is).

So, why do I hold thrusters in a higher regard, and think that out of all of H5's movement mechanics it should have been the one to return? In my opinion, compared to the other mechanics, thrusters actually make a contributing gameplay addition to Halo's golden triangle: guns, melee, and grenades. Thrusters provided an innate ability within all players to dodge a brief distance once every five seconds (on default settings). In a way, it was like jump-evading in previous games but more refined for horizontal movement. This puts each player at an even playing field right from the start for confrontations, but unlike clamber and slide, the key element would be player skill and timing with it's use, just as it is with guns, melee, and grenades. A player's judgement of when and how to use plus their skill at using those three core gameplay mechanics are ultimately what makes each confrontation in Halo so unique. With the addition of thrusters, each encounter then added a whole new layer of depth: you could dodge out of an enemy's line of fire or well-placed grenade, but if they're close to you, you can't dodge out of their melee until your thrusters cooldown. Then you have to make a smart decision as to when to use thrusters, and even outplay your opponent's use of thrusters themselves.

Thrusters added a whole new step to Halo's 30-second dance in Halo 5, one which I wish could return to Infinite as well. I wholeheartedly believe thrusters could find a place within Halo's golden triangle and in turn even potentially make it Halo's new golden square. That said, most of this does come down to my own personal enjoyment of the thrusters mechanic. Yet I've been playing a lot of MCC these days, as I'm sure many of you are as well, and I can certainly enjoy Halo without it. But I do think out of all the new mechanics introduced in Halo 5, thrusters are the one that can truly contribute the most to Halo's gameplay loop for examples I've given above. What do you think?
That's just it though the thrusters directly impact the Golden triangle, making it a silver square so to speak, the other elements have to exist on the fringe and be supplemental or you end up with an obtuse triangle that heavily favors fire arms or grenades, or melee over firearms, etc.
Foombles wrote:
That's just it though the thrusters directly impact the Golden triangle, making it a silver square so to speak.
Not saying that thrusters don't poke and prod at the golden triangle.

But more importantly they help break open the 'other' triangle of classic halo; (static) map control, weapon/power up hoarding, and spawn killing.
No.

Absolutely not.
Ah yes, a very well thought out argument.
While it certainly helped players navigate the map with more ease (dodging a nade, getting into cover, not falling off the map) it also functioned as an essential mechanic in 1v1 gunfights. In these, a player can get shot first and not have to resign himself to death simply because he was caught unaware. It also raises the intensity level of individual fights due to the anticipation of the instantaneous thrust (good for spectators as well).

From what I can see, thrust makes it easier for a new player to navigate and correct small movement errors while also raising the skill ceiling for veterans. It is a win/win.
The part were you mentioned thrust as a way to evade death if caught unaware is another reason I don't like it that much, if you're not paying attention to your surroundings and are caught unaware that's on you, which leads to learning which spots to be ready for or to be aware of your surroundings since there is no safety net to fall on.

It doesn't raise the intensity of a individual fight either, it just makes it last longer since it is a again a get out of jail free card stalling a fight from my experience going against someone who uses it and from playing H5.
For me anything that can add to skill based gameplay is worth it to me. My experience has been that I am able to use it to my advantage if my opponent uses it or if I use it with me getting in the extra shot. I would be ok without it though and I wouldn’t mind if another skill takes it’s place. Who knows like a crouch slide or something. Evasive maneuvering should still play a part.
I always thought that it was a weird mechanic... but it was definitely pretty clutch at times. But honestly, not really.
I loved em so yesssss

But if theu return they will probably return as equipment.
Limited use in multiplayer
Indefinitely in campaign
MysticKami wrote:
I really enjoyed the Thrusters in Halo5 and would love to see them return. Sprint, Clamber and Slide as well. I can do without Spartan Slam and Spartan Charge.
This exactly.
I liked them. I thought Halo 5 had solid gameplay that was mostly an evolution of the core gameplay. Take out spartan charge, slam, and aiming down sights and I would have thought the gameplay was near perfect
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3