Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Would you like to see H5 thrusters make a return?

OP Cybernyde

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
If they returned, id hope theyd be a armor ability like in H4 instead of a permanent upgrade
Hopefully, sprint will be taken out for Infinite. At least the version that has plagued Halo since Reach that restricts gameplay.
I am fine with thrust staying if implemented well. I thought the Mythic Arena playlist was one of the best playlists I played in Halo 5 multiplayer, and thrust worked well in its gameplay.
If they returned, id hope theyd be a armor ability like in H4 instead of a permanent upgrade
The concept of armor abilities being different amongst players (outside of map pickups) needs to be put to rest. It was an awful mistake Bungie made with Reach, and was equally awful for 343 to carry it forward when H4 launched.

Equal starts is such an important part of Halo, and that's why the advanced abilities in H5 actually worked so well. Because EVERYONE had the SAME stuff. I hope the equal starts its really focused on for the Arena playlists (competitive and social).

I'm excited for BTB 2.0, but I'm worried that it's going to lean into the different loadouts setup a little too much like Warzone did.
The concept of armor abilities being different amongst players (outside of map pickups) needs to be put to rest. It was an awful mistake Bungie made with Reach, and was equally awful for 343 to carry it forward when H4 launched.

Equal starts is such an important part of Halo, and that's why the advanced abilities in H5 actually worked so well. Because EVERYONE had the SAME stuff. I hope the equal starts its really focused on for the Arena playlists (competitive and social).
We're already gonna have armor abilities like a power weapon it sounds like, instead of starting with them, which is i think more what i had in mind
Ok, I would like to see them in the campaign because I really add a different value to how a Spartan should be as we saw it in Halo Legends.
If he comes back I think it would be nice to see him as a strategic skill as a reference point on maps.

We're already gonna have armor abilities like a power weapon it sounds like, instead of starting with them, which is i think more what i had in mind
I know, you'd just suggested you want them to behave like H4. I just wanted to express my opinion that this would be a huge step back.
I liked them. I thought Halo 5 had solid gameplay that was mostly an evolution of the core gameplay. Take out spartan charge, slam, and aiming down sights and I would have thought the gameplay was near perfect
In terms of Advanced Movement, I feel very inclined to agree. However, the only feature introduced in H5 that I am opposed to is Spartan Charge. To me at least, ADS (Smart Link) didn't really change the core gameplay and there is enough of a skill gap with Ground Pound to warrant its existence.

In terms of Thrusters as a default ability, I think they are a good addition to Halo. I've seen lots of people saying that Thrusters act as a get-out-of-jail-free card but that simply isn't the case. Players will always make decisions based on the tools they have at their disposal.
Foombles wrote:
Cybernyde wrote:
Upon watching the Halo Infinite gameplay demo in July 2020, we all saw that sprint, clamber, and slide were making a return (at least in the campaign but therefore presumably also in multiplayer), but saw nothing about thrusters returning, which didn't quite make a whole lot of sense to me. In Halo 5, out of all the new movement mechanics, I thought thrusters were the best possible "advanced" movement mechanic they could have introduced to Halo as a franchise; however, in my opinion, clamber and slide seemed a bit too deviant from the Halo experience (and sprint will always be included from now on given it's prominence in the FPS genre as a whole, which as long as it doesn't detract from map design and the experience, it is what it is).

So, why do I hold thrusters in a higher regard, and think that out of all of H5's movement mechanics it should have been the one to return? In my opinion, compared to the other mechanics, thrusters actually make a contributing gameplay addition to Halo's golden triangle: guns, melee, and grenades. Thrusters provided an innate ability within all players to dodge a brief distance once every five seconds (on default settings). In a way, it was like jump-evading in previous games but more refined for horizontal movement. This puts each player at an even playing field right from the start for confrontations, but unlike clamber and slide, the key element would be player skill and timing with it's use, just as it is with guns, melee, and grenades. A player's judgement of when and how to use plus their skill at using those three core gameplay mechanics are ultimately what makes each confrontation in Halo so unique. With the addition of thrusters, each encounter then added a whole new layer of depth: you could dodge out of an enemy's line of fire or well-placed grenade, but if they're close to you, you can't dodge out of their melee until your thrusters cooldown. Then you have to make a smart decision as to when to use thrusters, and even outplay your opponent's use of thrusters themselves.

Thrusters added a whole new step to Halo's 30-second dance in Halo 5, one which I wish could return to Infinite as well. I wholeheartedly believe thrusters could find a place within Halo's golden triangle and in turn even potentially make it Halo's new golden square. That said, most of this does come down to my own personal enjoyment of the thrusters mechanic. Yet I've been playing a lot of MCC these days, as I'm sure many of you are as well, and I can certainly enjoy Halo without it. But I do think out of all the new mechanics introduced in Halo 5, thrusters are the one that can truly contribute the most to Halo's gameplay loop for examples I've given above. What do you think?
That's just it though the thrusters directly impact the Golden triangle, making it a silver square so to speak, the other elements have to exist on the fringe and be supplemental or you end up with an obtuse triangle that heavily favors fire arms or grenades, or melee over firearms, etc.
I feel like this was the overall initial impression of equipment when it was introduced in Halo 3, concern of how it would affect Halo's triangle. But like equipment, thrusters could, with intention, potentially interweave itself within the triangle and not detract from it, which is the reason equipment worked so well in Halo 3 (as explained by Ascend Hyperion in this video: https://youtu.be/RBkEpBpT_1Q?t=193). Thrusters intentionally added a new layer of depth to player confrontations, much like equipment did; although, you can't tell that someone has a certain piece of equipment equipped until they use it, where areas with thrusters you already know the other player shares that same ability with you, meaning you go into a confrontation already prepared with that knowledge that you and your opponent can both thrust and strategize accordingly, while with equipment it's more reactive given it's nature of only becoming known when played on the field. However equipment works because it intentionally changes the confrontation dynamic of guns, melee, and grenades whilst maintaining the balance that equipment works both ways, for it's user and the opponent. With thrusters, the balance is maintained as all players have the ability, and it's use can both be advantageous and detrimental to its user according to their use of it and skill in a given confrontation (like with equipment!) I think thrusters can interweave within Halo's golden triangle much the same way equipment did back in Halo 3.
I sort of like the feeling of doing it, but I understand how it totally screws with gunplay. Aim assist and bullet magnetism are cranked up because of thrust (and sprint). Because of this, it actually makes aiming and hitting your target easier in most cases, and AI more annoying to fight. If my answer has to be yes or no, I'd say it shouldn't return at all. Maybe as a custom game option/equipment/armor ability with longer recharge times, it MIGHT work, but never something you should have access to at all times or too frequently, because then gunplay has to be tied to it to balance it.
Clamber and slide is already enough for me. I wouldn't be opposed to it being a thing in say custom game options or being a piece of equipment you have to pick up but as a standard spartan ability you have right off the bat no.
I would personally like to see thrusters return as an equipment item, not a standard move feature. It would also be cool if using the d-pad perhaps you could angle the boost down instead of side-to-side, effectively enabling a double-jump.
Negative
Of all the Spartan abilities added into Halo 5, thrusters were the best one. If it carries into infinite, I’m fine with that. Ground pound and spartan charge were eh
First of all, if we’re getting all of this advanced movement again, go ahead and throw in thrusters. I absolutely loved those and hate to see em go. But if they removed spartan charge and the ground pound, that’d be great
Not a huge fan of thrusters but its really not make or break for me either way to be honest.
I think sprint and thrusters are fine mechanics individually but as soon as you have both of them it's a little too much in my opinion. So I'm going to say no since we already have sprint. At most I could see it as an equipment.
Cybernyde wrote:
Upon watching the Halo Infinite gameplay demo in July 2020, we all saw that sprint, clamber, and slide were making a return (at least in the campaign but therefore presumably also in multiplayer), but saw nothing about thrusters returning, which didn't quite make a whole lot of sense to me. In Halo 5, out of all the new movement mechanics, I thought thrusters were the best possible "advanced" movement mechanic they could have introduced to Halo as a franchise; however, in my opinion, clamber and slide seemed a bit too deviant from the Halo experience (and sprint will always be included from now on given it's prominence in the FPS genre as a whole, which as long as it doesn't detract from map design and the experience, it is what it is).

So, why do I hold thrusters in a higher regard, and think that out of all of H5's movement mechanics it should have been the one to return? In my opinion, compared to the other mechanics, thrusters actually make a contributing gameplay addition to Halo's golden triangle: guns, melee, and grenades. Thrusters provided an innate ability within all players to dodge a brief distance once every five seconds (on default settings). In a way, it was like jump-evading in previous games but more refined for horizontal movement. This puts each player at an even playing field right from the start for confrontations, but unlike clamber and slide, the key element would be player skill and timing with it's use, just as it is with guns, melee, and grenades. A player's judgement of when and how to use plus their skill at using those three core gameplay mechanics are ultimately what makes each confrontation in Halo so unique. With the addition of thrusters, each encounter then added a whole new layer of depth: you could dodge out of an enemy's line of fire or well-placed grenade, but if they're close to you, you can't dodge out of their melee until your thrusters cooldown. Then you have to make a smart decision as to when to use thrusters, and even outplay your opponent's use of thrusters themselves.

Thrusters added a whole new step to Halo's 30-second dance in Halo 5, one which I wish could return to Infinite as well. I wholeheartedly believe thrusters could find a place within Halo's golden triangle and in turn even potentially make it Halo's new golden square. That said, most of this does come down to my own personal enjoyment of the thrusters mechanic. Yet I've been playing a lot of MCC these days, as I'm sure many of you are as well, and I can certainly enjoy Halo without it. But I do think out of all the new mechanics introduced in Halo 5, thrusters are the one that can truly contribute the most to Halo's gameplay loop for examples I've given above. What do you think?
As much as I didn't mind thrusters in H5, I'm fine with them not returning. Slide is also meh to me but I can see why they have it.

I see the arguments for and against clamber to in regards of hitting those hard to make jumps but clamber slows those jumps down so I'm fine with it.

I absolutely hope they take out the Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, and Stabilizers when ADS. Those broke gameplay a little too much for me.

With an emphasis of a spiritual reboot, I don't anticipate thrusters returning. I think you make valid points OP but I would be fine without thrusters returning as well.
I'd imagine the only way 343 will manage to please everyone is to at least included them for certain game modes. I do like them as they feel a great extension but they are also frustrating at times in multiplayer. I do like them though so it's a tricky one. Part of the problem when you introduce new stuff of course first starting I guess most of all with Reach. I feel various things from Halo 5 should be included but I also understand the other side. Spartan Charge I'm confident wont be making it back unless they open increase the radar back to what it used to be
No thanks.
Personally I wouldn't like to see them return, To me it took some of the "feeling" Out of halo. Maybe because I grew up with just strafing and found it hard to adapt because i'm older lmao.
But the spartan charge/what ever that ground attack is called isn't my slice of cake, Neither is that hover mechanic. Feels way to "cod" like to me

It personally just doesn't feel like Halo to me.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3