Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Xbox one vs series x differences

OP pharoh dude

As we all know. Halo infinite is releasing in the current Xbox one family, the Xbox series x, and PC. So I was wondering what you all think the differences will be between the console versions.

The way I see it is that the series x will definitely have the graphics advantage over the Xbox one consoles. This is basically going to be 100% true. However, will there be any other differences other than graphics/frame rate.

Is it safe assuming core gameplay between consoles will be the same. I'm talking about physics, animations, and AI (for campaign and possibly firefight). Do you guys think this could be different between them. If they are different, wouldnt the balance in the sandbox change and the maps function differently as well.

Lastly the other thing I could thing about is gamemodes. Is it possible that there can be an exclusive game mode like maybe a 50v50 BTB for example that will be on the series x and not the Xbox one family.

What do you all think the differences will be between the console generations. Keep in mind that if cross play is a thing then gameplay will be identical but we don't know if cross play is a thing or not. If there is no cross play then they can differ more. So to wrap up, what do you see 343i doing to separate the two generations and get people to want a series x?
Its prob going to be mainly performance.
Maybe just overall better connectivity to networks, performance, but probably just better FPS, performance, and maybe some new features or something. I think if the xBox Series X is better than the xBox One, then 343 will make their game as balanced as they can for if they match with users that use both Series X and One. An alternate solution is match One players with One players and Series X players with Series X players. All depends on how the new xBox turns out, I can’t tell the future really so just do your research on the new xBox.
The Series X version willl be running at a higher resolution, and will have slightly better graphics. Everything else will be identical feature-wise.
More resolution, more power, more graphic
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I think it's just going to be graphics, specifically ray tracing. Maybe we'll see some difference in physics as well but I wouldn't expect anything too crazy because I'd think they want to keep the different versions closer. Then obviously it'll load faster because of the SSD.
I think there's a chance the series X version won't have loading screens for single player.
My guess is you'll get ray tracing, slightly better graphics, resolution set to stable 1080p with uncapped fps or upscaled 4k with more than 60fps and in general more stuff like fauna and particles on screen. The real time lightning is what's going to make the biggest change! Look at Metro Exodus, playing it with RTX on high feels like a much more vivid and real world!

>> Link example

I'm expecting similar results for Halo Infinite!^^
It’ll probably just be graphical differences. I doubt it’ll be performance differences because if the Xbox One can’t hit the same frames per second as the Series X then crossplay is out of the picture.
Chimera30 wrote:
It’ll probably just be graphical differences. I doubt it’ll be performance differences because if the Xbox One can’t hit the same frames per second as the Series X then crossplay is out of the picture.
Maybe in mp (got my doubts on that though), but certainly not in campaign. Spencer himself said a good while that they would focus a lot more on refresh-rates rather than just pushing more pixels on screen! :)
I expect the demanding modes of Infinite, meaning campaign, Warzone, BTB, big Forge maps, to run at 30 FPS on the Xbox One series of consoles with the S running at sub 1080p dynamic resolution and the One X running the game up to 4k. Arena competitive modes will be 60 FPS across the board.
Series X will run everything at minimum 60 FPS, maybe even 120 FPS for Arena at something close to 4k.

If the One S and One X run at 60, i expect some extremely aggressive "FPS lod" like the already implemented for Halo 5 with enemies getting rendered at lower resolution, but extended to the entire scene.
Thankfully they've already stated that neither system will be second class citizens durring development. That gives me a little peace of mind not needing to buy a whole new xbox, lol
Chimera30 wrote:
Why would frame rate disparities preclude crossplay between the different consoles?

PC gamers have been playing games on computers that vary massively in power (and thus frame rate) for decades. The PS4 pro and Xbox One X also offer enhanced frame rate options on some games over the "base" experience .

Higher frame rate, along with higher resolution and graphical fidelity, are logical areas to improve Infinite on the Series X over the Xbox One.
sniper945 wrote:
Thankfully they've already stated that neither system will be second class citizens durring development. That gives me a little peace of mind not needing to buy a whole new xbox, lol
Infinite will be worse on Xbox One vs. the Series X or PC. That's unavoidable.

It's an old console that wasn't particularly powerful even when it launched in 2013.

Even if 343i is dedicated to making the Xbox One experience as good as possible (which I'm sure it is), there's nothing the developers can do to make up for the very weak hardware in an Xbox One.
Chimera30 wrote:
Why would frame rate disparities preclude crossplay between the different consoles?

PC gamers have been playing games on computers that vary massively in power (and thus frame rate) for decades. The PS4 pro and Xbox One X also offer enhanced frame rate options on some games over the "base" experience .

Higher frame rate, along with higher resolution and graphical fidelity, are logical areas to improve Infinite on the Series X over the Xbox One.
Higher performance/FPS would mean advantages in multiplayer. I don’t think halo’s roots in equal start arena gameplay would like that. That coupled with input disparities could really put a hamper on parity between platforms that would foster healthy crossplay. It’s one thing for a single player game to have a performance mode option that increases frame rate, but in a game like halo where frame rate is tied to how the physics and other mechanics work, it should be the same across all platforms.
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:

Higher performance/FPS would mean advantages in multiplayer. I don’t think halo’s roots in equal start arena gameplay would like that. That coupled with input disparities could really put a hamper on parity between platforms that would foster healthy crossplay.
Higher performance/FPS between competitors in arena shooters was happening 20 years ago when I was playing Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena. Higher frame rates does give you a marginal advantage, but it's an unavoidable reality of gaming when not everyone has the same hardware. The Series X (announced today as having a 12 TFLOP RDNA 2 GPU and desktop grade CPU) is massively more powerful than a base Xbox One. The only way to achieve "parity" between these versions of Infinite is for Microsoft to simply ignore the majority of the horsepower that the Series X has to offer. Higher frame rates, resolution, graphical fidelity, etc. can all give you a slight advantage over a competitor but with Infinite being the flagship launch title for the Series X, 343i is going to do everything in its power to ensure the Series X version impresses potential customers.

The keyboard/mouse vs controller disparity is as bigger potential issue for truly "competitive" gaming, but it has seemed to work decently enough with the newest Modern Warfare. There are some top Apex streamers who use controllers on the PC version. If you play competitive games online, you either need to accept that some people have certain competitive advantages, or don't play at all.

This is why top gaming tournaments control for all of these variables. Competitors use the same hardware, the same monitors, the same headphones/audio setups, and are on LAN networks without host/speed advantages for certain people. But if you want the convenience of playing from your living room TV, the cost of admission is accepting that it's not a completely equal experience.
Xbox Series X will have 4 times the processing power vs the Xbox One. They are going to try to get 60fps at 1080p. No promises but, it'll definitely be a step up from the recent Xbox.
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:

Higher performance/FPS would mean advantages in multiplayer. I don’t think halo’s roots in equal start arena gameplay would like that. That coupled with input disparities could really put a hamper on parity between platforms that would foster healthy crossplay. It’s one thing for a single player game to have a performance mode option that increases frame rate, but in a game like halo where frame rate is tied to how the physics and other mechanics work, it should be the same across all platforms.
I would expect that one of the things 343i would seek to do is decouple game physics from the frame rate, seeing that Halo Infinite is aiming for PC, and the Xbox Series X is supposed to have variable refresh rate technology. It will be trivially easy to have a performance mode that anyone can use in that case.