Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

You accept Evil Cortana or Dead Cortana?

OP SectionUnity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Original Cortana personality taking over?
Special Chip to capture and fix her?
Only dead, please. Very, very dead. Extremely dead.

Spoiler:
Show
Dead.Permanently this time.
Dead. The very idea that Cortana should be brought back at all deserved to be confined to the cutting room floor, along with 90% of Halo 5's final product story.

It's also beyond me why people think that the Chief and Cortana love each other. They do, but it's more of a platonic relationship. Cortana shares Halsey's motherly love of her Spartans, and it's in that form she loves the Chief. That love is of course augmented by Chief's dedication to his mission: protecting her no matter what, not to mention his skills, talent, and luck.

The Chief does love Cortana. Not so much as a son, but because she was the only living being he could connect with. As quoted in Halo 4, Spartans suffered from sociopathic tendencies including difficulty with socializing. For all the time he was trained and modified to become a Spartan, John was denied the time to connect with his fellow cadets. Cortana provided him with that emotional and mental outlet, which is why her death should have been the moment Chief's character transformed completely. He lost the only person in the universe he ever really loved, and among her final words to him, she made him promise to figure out which one of them was the machine. That should have been the moment he became a man. Not fighting for the UNSC, the Covenant, the Insurrection or the Forerunners. He should have been carving his own path to ensuring peace in the galaxy. I imagine it would have been enthralling for the players to find out where Chief's journey took him. What his ultimate destiny was going to be, and the consequences of him going AWOL. ONI dispatching a hitman in Agent Locke to track him down, the Covenant still hostile to him, as well as Promethean forces loyal to the Didact. The possibilities were endless!
  • Evil Cortana takes the whole "Die as a hero or live long enough to see yourself as a Villain" quote out the window.. since she died and now a villain. But its not all bad. It leads Halo to a situation more dangerous than any other situation in previous games (Character wise, not like Halo rings).
  • Dead Cortana lays as the last character that dies in the Halo 1-3 trilogy and leaving Master chief alone in the the new Saga with new characters. It also allowed an opportunity of the quote "About being a machine" to mean something and truly change the perspective of Master Chief about being a soldier since childhood.
Ignoring the launch of Halo 5 or any plot-holes you can think of for each, and just generally lay down the thought of a ground scenario of Cortana creating a current situation as of right now (the future), which would you choose from?- For me, I choose dead Cortana. Master Chief entering a war with allies and being the only one coming back from it with a new perspective of himself leads a better situation of Master Chief becoming the enemy. As nice as an Evil Cortana may be and "being a machine" directs to herself, dead Cortana reflects off more of humanity and our main character Master Chief much better.
Same. H4 nailed it with her dead, can you imagine how impactful it would if "they'll pair you with another cortana model" actually happened? How the heck could she even be alive? She doesn't work as a villian, it destroys everything prior to Halo 5, and is a perfect example of abusing a character. Milking it.
I'm not gonna name names but someone that sounds a lot like Myron Lead really screwed the pooch with Halo 5's story.

It was touched upon above, but the only theory I can somewhat get behind is that at the end of Halo 4, the battle against the Didact split Cortana into multiple copies. The true, sane Cortana died from sealing Chief in the hardlight to protect him from the nuke (somehow). Then there were maybe another dozen rampant copies that all got incinerated or just died from rampancy, but one of them falls into the slipspace portal near the Composer and winds up on Genesis, where she is "healed" by the Domain, and goes on to raise the Guardians and cause all the problems in Halo 5.

Contrived as anything, but whatever. I don't even know what kind of resolution to give to this Cortana because no option seems right IMO. It needs to be established that she's not the same one from the earlier games, and then it would be easier to kill her. At the same time, maybe Chief gets a new AI, perhaps a new Cortana model or something, but you can't use Cortana's sister or any other AI's from Reach because they too would have faced rampancy and been preemptively shut down. Recall that it was proposed that Cortana is the only AI that can be saved because she was born as a clone of Dr. Halsey. (So maybe the Sister actually could happen now that I think of it.)

But bottom line, I don't see any resolution to this Cortana ordeal, ie how to stop the current one and how to give Chief a new AI companion without some serious stretches in storytelling. Its just not easy at this point.
You're close. Read tales from slipspace it actually explains it a little more. After the battle against the didact, she and her split copies did crash on genesis. It was there that all her copies ,including the evil Cortana (another fragment not the og), starting deteriorating due to no real way to stabilize themselfs. The copy then found the domain along with its gurdian, warden eternal. After a brief conversation and some trickery on Cortanas part the warden eventually offers to help Cortana, which had begun to use the domain to repair herself. All in all in previous lore it's been said that the domain is alive. So in my opinion I think the domain or something threw the domain is actually using this severally fragmented version of Cortana for it's on ends.
Dead Cortana. Although its sad, its the truth. The silly and beatiful cortana is gone. I just dont simply thing that Halo 5 is canon (I know Halo Infinite is a direct sequel to 5, but you can simply just dont count it) and Cortana is still dead. If Infinite gives us a miracle and bring the old Cortana back to chief, its going to be the best ending of a story of almost 20 years old
  • Evil Cortana takes the whole "Die as a hero or live long enough to see yourself as a Villain" quote out the window.. since she died and now a villain. But its not all bad. It leads Halo to a situation more dangerous than any other situation in previous games (Character wise, not like Halo rings).
  • Dead Cortana lays as the last character that dies in the Halo 1-3 trilogy and leaving Master chief alone in the the new Saga with new characters. It also allowed an opportunity of the quote "About being a machine" to mean something and truly change the perspective of Master Chief about being a soldier since childhood.
Ignoring the launch of Halo 5 or any plot-holes you can think of for each, and just generally lay down the thought of a ground scenario of Cortana creating a current situation as of right now (the future), which would you choose from?- For me, I choose dead Cortana. Master Chief entering a war with allies and being the only one coming back from it with a new perspective of himself leads a better situation of Master Chief becoming the enemy. As nice as an Evil Cortana may be and "being a machine" directs to herself, dead Cortana reflects off more of humanity and our main character Master Chief much better.
If those were the only 2 options, I would rather Dead Cortana. I don't think either is going to happen though. I think what we are going to get is a redeemed Cortana and that is my preferred method of dealing with Cortana.
I wonder if those of us wishing her dead are forgetting the feeling of clearing out entire compounds full of enemies while Cortana intelligently orchestrated our path? Her dialogue and guidance provide the perfect emotional/attitude balance to Chief’s stoicism. Some say Chief is better off without her, but the truth is Cortana is the other half of Chief’s world. Without her he is a great Spartan, but with her he is the Master Chief who protects humanity. They are a team and they need each other. Halo is by far my favorite story; let alone game, and it hurt me to see her corrupted, but I believe she and 117 can be a team again, that they MUST be a team again. I think Dr. Halsey is the key.
Some say Chief is better off without her, but the truth is Cortana is the other half of Chief’s world.
Since when? He has always been the same Sparta he has always been. Literally the only difference is that she provides tactical enhancement. Also factor in the time he hasn't been with her, which post-Halo 4 included, now exceeds the time he has been with her.
Quote:
Without her he is a great Spartan, but with her he is the Master Chief who protects humanity.
He is always the Master Chief who protects humanity whether she is there or not. I don't know why people want to act like he literally can't function unless she's there. People portray them as if they're both sides of the same coin. They aren't.
Quote:
They are a team and they need each other.
Not really.
Best solution Chief and Cortana both dead at infinite conclusion, as in a twisted sci fi version of Romeo and Juliet.
Some say Chief is better off without her, but the truth is Cortana is the other half of Chief’s world.
Since when? He has always been the same Sparta he has always been. Literally the only difference is that she provides tactical enhancement. Also factor in the time he hasn't been with her, which post-Halo 4 included, now exceeds the time he has been with her.
Quote:
Without her he is a great Spartan, but with her he is the Master Chief who protects humanity.
He is always the Master Chief who protects humanity whether she is there or not. I don't know why people want to act like he literally can't function unless she's there. People portray them as if they're both sides of the same coin. They aren't.
Quote:
They are a team and they need each other.
Not really.
If all Cortana provides is tactical enhancement, Chief would not have gone as far as he did to try to retrieve her. It is true that the story can continue without her; however, it will be a complete story if she and Chief are a team again. What makes Halo so special is the duality of intelligence (Dr. Halsey and Cortana) and violence (Chief). Duality is human. Without duality, it's just another game where a big guy kills stuff. If Cortana is completely gone, (not evolved or somehow fragmented and preserved) then the story falls apart because she is an extension of Dr. Halsey, who is the architect of humanity's victory. In short, without Cortana Chief has no purpose and without Chief Dr. Halsey has no one to execute the mission. Please remember that everything Chief has done as a Spartan has been based within the context of Dr. Halsey's design.

Evidence is present in the story's ultimate enemy-the Flood-which is the opposite of humanity. The flood only exists to consume (singularity). Humanity is the opposite (duality).

I speculate Dr. Halsey will decide to save and somehow restore Cortana in order to finally destroy the Flood. This doesn't mean we just forgive and forget what she did in Guardians; rather, it further complicates and progresses the story because now she may not be trusted or perhaps she will be ordered destroyed, but Halsey and Chief know she is needed to save humanity. This is, again, speculation; however, the point is the story is complex and interesting with Cortana in it.
If all Cortana provides is tactical enhancement, Chief would not have gone as far as he did to try to retrieve her.
It's in everyone's best interests to make sure that Cortana (or any AI) doesn't fall into the hands of the Covenant. You know, really important information and such.

In Halo 3, Cortana was under Flood territory and she's the one with the Activation Index.

Cortana and Chief were friends and great partners, but they weren't literally inseparable.

I wonder if those of us wishing her dead are forgetting the feeling of clearing out entire compounds full of enemies while Cortana intelligently orchestrated our path? Her dialogue and guidance provide the perfect emotional/attitude balance to Chief’s stoicism.
The player spends a decent chunk of time in CE, half of Halo 2, and most of Halo 3 without Cortana providing intelligence to them.

What makes Halo so special is the duality of intelligence (Dr. Halsey and Cortana) and violence (Chief). Duality is human. Without duality, it's just another game where a big guy kills stuff.
You do realize that Chief was intelligent and a character...without Cortana, right? He only had Cortana for less than half a year.

343i even went out of its way in the Halo 4 era to delve into Chief's individual character and plan to see what he is without Cortana.
If Cortana is completely gone, (not evolved or somehow fragmented and preserved) then the story falls apart because she is an extension of Dr. Halsey, who is the architect of humanity's victory. In short, without Cortana Chief has no purpose and without Chief Dr. Halsey has no one to execute the mission.
It's so sad how little faith people appear to have in Chief as an individual character. I personally blame the develoipers, as they are the ones who seem to have put this idea in the heads of fans that Chief is nothing without Cortana. Chief has a very clearly defined purpose - that purpose is to protect the human race. Whether that involves fighting off extra-terrestrial threats, defeating rebellions, lighting up rings, etc. the fact is Chief is a soldier first before anything else. None of that inherently involves Cortana in order to happen. Cortana is a supporting character, just like Blue Team were in Halo 5, or Noble Team or Alpha 9 were in Reach and ODST respectively. The only reason you think she is essential to Chief and the story so much is because she holds sentimental value to you, and thats fine. But lets stop pretending as if Master Chief can't exist without Cortana.

I speculate Dr. Halsey will decide to save and somehow restore Cortana in order to finally destroy the Flood. This doesn't mean we just forgive and forget what she did in Guardians; rather, it further complicates and progresses the story because now she may not be trusted or perhaps she will be ordered destroyed, but Halsey and Chief know she is needed to save humanity. This is, again, speculation; however, the point is the story is complex and interesting with Cortana in it.
Actually, it would have been far more interesting if she stayed dead. They were setting up a very interesting story in Halo 5, but they threw it away and went the safe and predictable route - likely because there was an over-abundance of fans like you who refused to entertain a story that didn't include Cortana front and centre, something that wasn't completely predictable and unimaginative.
If Cortana is completely gone, (not evolved or somehow fragmented and preserved) then the story falls apart because she is an extension of Dr. Halsey, who is the architect of humanity's victory. In short, without Cortana Chief has no purpose and without Chief Dr. Halsey has no one to execute the mission.
It's so sad how little faith people appear to have in Chief as an individual character. I personally blame the develoipers, as they are the ones who seem to have put this idea in the heads of fans that Chief is nothing without Cortana. Chief has a very clearly defined purpose - that purpose is to protect the human race. Whether that involves fighting off extra-terrestrial threats, defeating rebellions, lighting up rings, etc. the fact is Chief is a soldier first before anything else. None of that inherently involves Cortana in order to happen. Cortana is a supporting character, just like Blue Team were in Halo 5, or Noble Team or Alpha 9 were in Reach and ODST respectively. The only reason you think she is essential to Chief and the story so much is because she holds sentimental value to you, and thats fine. But lets stop pretending as if Master Chief can't exist without Cortana.

Actually, it would have been far more interesting if she stayed dead. They were setting up a very interesting story in Halo 5, but they threw it away and went the safe and predictable route - likely because there was an over-abundance of fans like you who refused to entertain a story that didn't include Cortana front and centre, something that wasn't completely predictable and unimaginative.
I think the core of my argument is this:

I have more fun playing Halo when Chief and Cortana are interacting. I like listening to Cortana give guidance and make clever, sarcastic quips. I like the balance of strong and stoic Chief and smart, delicate Cortana. I've been fine playing as Chief without her as long as it was temporary or I was trying to get her back. If the writers do decide to kill her, I really hope she dies a hero rather than a villain. I stand behind everything I said before. I think Chief is awesome as an individual character; but again, the whole Spartan program is Dr. Halsey's design. Cortana is an extension of her and serves as his direct connection to his purpose of fulfilling Dr. Halsey's mission. It's true many of us are sentimental; however, I am sentimental about nearly everything in the Halo story. I also like good changes. I like the way Cortana has become a villain because it creates something personal to lose and motivates me to save her. I haven't even mentioned yet that she has saved Chief's life many times. I like trying to make a happy ending out of this because happy endings are fun and rewarding; and I play Halo to have fun :)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3