Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Zoom Cancelling

OP swaggymcdudebro

What do yall think about the zoom dis-engage during fights in Halo 5? I recently started playing again and can say this is one mechanic I am not fond of. To be specific I am talking about when you are in a fight zoomed in shooting at someone and you get peppered by a few shots and immediately your zoom pulls out. I hope this doesn't come back. Thoughts?
The descope mechanic exists to give shorter range weapons a chance to fend off longer range weapons. For example, it enables a player with a BR/DMR to move against a faraway sniper without having the odds just completely stacked in favor of the sniper. It's a useful mechanic for sandbox balance. Halo 4 tried to get rid of it, people hated it, and now we're back to descope.

I can totally see why some people would dislike descope, especially if they're not used to it. I think everyone's made their fair share of mistakes with it. However, unless somebody can come up with an alternative that accomplishes what descope does while being less annoying, descope should stay.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not call out individuals. This includes forum members, moderators, administrators, and non-forum members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.

Spoiler:
Show
What do yall think about the zoom dis-engage during fights in Halo 5? I recently started playing again and can say this is one mechanic I am not fond of. To be specific I am talking about when you are in a fight zoomed in shooting at someone and you get peppered by a few shots and immediately your zoom pulls out. I hope this doesn't come back. Thoughts?
De-scope has been in literally every Halo game except for Halo 4 (which had flinch instead, a way worse mechanic IMO). It is there to balance out the range, and it needs to be present.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.

Spoiler:
Show
Most players don't even know what you're talking about. De-scope? So basically you shoot me in scope and I flinch? Can you specify? That's been happening since forever I thought. The last reticle issues were bloom in reach 11 years ago because people didn't like timing their shots.
CE fans? Literally fans of every game outside of 4 seem to get along fine with it. I don't think I have ever seen serious Halo 5 players call for the removal of descope before.

You literally say small maps don't need ADS, and then say you cant get a shot off because your ADS keeps getting cancelled.
iseeOwls wrote:
Most players don't even know what you're talking about. De-scope? So basically you shoot me in scope and I flinch? Can you specify? That's been happening since forever I thought. The last reticle issues were bloom in reach 11 years ago because people didn't like timing their shots.
That wasn't the issue, the problem was by perfectly timing your shots you would win a 1v1 the majority of the time, but you could still lose to someone spamming and being lucky.
They tried it in Halo 4, it was not received well.

Being kicked out of scope when damaged is apart of Halo.
What you're describing is called flinching. It's been there since the first game and it will definitely be a thing in Infinite.
there´s no way 343 can make everyone happy, the descope is not a big deal, or even remotely significant to call H5 a bad game, if its bad is for other things, but not descope.
It has been mentioned that autos can fend off precisions, but descope increases the skill ceiling in precision vs. precision as well. Once descoped, the better player will be able to rescope faster and deliver accurate shots that prevent the other player from scoping in.

Of course this mechanic is mainly controller specific due to the AA boost that you get scoped in. Particularly good for countering snipers.
No. The sniper will be too op. You would even be able to kill people across the map with a BR. When someone starts shooting you from across the map, simply shoot once at them, and find cover.
Plus one for descope.

Snipers already have the advantage. And weapons such as the DMR/BR would become too OP.

Sometimes you just have to switch to the AR and get your hands dirty. :)
I don't completely agree with this, the purpose of it is not just to limit YOUR fire, it also helps with awareness. Say you are on a ridge sniping people with your Sniper Rifle while zoomed in, you are so focused on blasting their lil heads off that you don't hear the guy who just showed up behind you, but due to fear of putting himself in a bad position by melee'ing you against your buddy right next to you he instead just tries to shoot you. Now if it was like in Halo 4, you would just get unloaded on without having a clue what was going on. With zoom canceling, you become aware of the attack with the first shot and are instantly ready to turn around and return fire without becoming disoriented. While zoom canceling is there partially for balancing purposes, its also there to help you out.