Forums / Halo Channel / General Halo Channel Discussion

[Locked] Halo: Fall of Reach movie looks like plastic.

OP K27R

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
EDIT: Halo: Fall of Reach is an excellent movie. This message of this article, is not about the story, but the overall visual appearance of the film. I disapprove of it and like many would love to see better quality visuals.

Notes about the movie:

- Title is misguiding. This movie has nothing to do with the planet Reach or anything that impacts it. Events such as training took place on Reach but nothing in this movie indicates its fall. Instead, Harvest has a stronger presence of falling than Reach does by miles.

- After watching this I am strongly compelled to play any videogame 343 might create where you play as Young Master Chief. This movie introduces a lot of mixed feelings about characters, thongs you love and and things you hate, but ultimately John is a hero and it would be great to play as him fighting the Covenent during the early years if the war.

- Elites use Halo 5's artsyle. Practically brutes rather than slender.

- Final note, the first five minutes of the movie are hard to follow and difficult to understand, but the story finally picks up eventually. The end of the movie was awesome, however, the final words about Sam (chief's friend) were exaggerated. Sam did not pave the way etc, he did not teach any valuable lesson as Blue team supposedly makes out. All Sam did was sacrifice himself mainly because of a previous accident on board a Covenent cruiser. He did not do anything for blue team during his final minutes except prevent the Covenent from disarming the nuke. He is a hero for that only, but no ultimate lesson was actually taught or invoked. Not even Sam attempted to give a massage. He simply announced that he couldn't go with Blue Team and had to stay behind. He had no choice. For god sake that doesn't send a big message, it was merely circumstances.

Rating 8/10 movie.

Rating NOTE: If the movie had better visuals (such as anime, or blur, or had a much better and realistic 3D visuals and animations, 1 extra point is deserved. However this is not the case. The movie basically looks like plastic, and loses a score.

The movie also loses one score for the ending and the beginning. 80% of Blue Team's speech for Sam, their lost comrade, was untrue and - or pointless. It would've been beautiful to only acknowledge the friendship they once had with him, rather than make up stories where Sam paved the way to victory from the beginning (which is untrue). Blue team should've just been sad and that's it. No pretend stories would've made the ending perfect. The beginning with Dr Halsy and Keyes was also unclear. A stronger relationship or strong verbal communition was heavily needed.

Main Article: Just wanted to let 343 know that, I've only just put the Fall of Reach DVD in my Xbox, and surprisingly the story is going good so far. Actually, so far the story is excellent!

However, all these years, and even now, I disapprove of the artstyle they chose, the visuals (look, appeal) and animation. (Looks similar to terminal scenes). In fact Barbie movies, as horrible as they actually appear visually (way too 3D and unrealistic and have never improved over the decade), I've come to the conclusion that Barbie movies are more visually appealing than what we see in the Fall of Reach. Same with Nightfall for that matter.

Halo Legends was actually the coolest movie 343 ever made because it was pure cartoon and pure anime. (Except the last episode was similar to Barbie 3D).

I'm sure the entire Halo community agrees that we never want to see a movie with the same animation and visuals as Barbie ever again. We want Blur Studios to make Halo movies from now on. I'd also appreciate more anime movies too.

(Note: if this article is relocated don't blame me I couldn't find the correct section in the forums to post this, aka FoR)

Edit: wow the story is going great so far (still watching) very good and intense moments

Final Note: 343, please don't make movies that look like pastic
I'm a little bit confused as to why you were watching Barbie movies.
I'm a little bit confused as to why you were watching Barbie movies.
Who doesn't have a sister that watches Barbie?
I'm a little bit confused as to why you were watching Barbie movies.
^^ I don't really even see a relation due to that those are two diffrent movies using diffrent animations.
K27R wrote:
However, all these years, and even now, I disapprove of the artstyle they chose, the visuals (look, appeal) and animation. (Looks similar to terminal scenes). In fact Barbie movies, as horrible as they actually appear visually (way too 3D and unrealistic and have never improved over the decade), I've come to the conclusion that Barbie movies are more visually appealing than what we see in the Fall of Reach. Same with Nightfall for that matter.

Well, considering the fact that Nightfall is somewhat limited in terms of visual appearance due to it being live action and FoR being 100% animation, I don't see how that's a good comparison. Sure, the overall new art style may be uglier in terms of what we have before, but I also fail to see how it's even logical to compare this to this.
K27R wrote:
We want Blur Studios to make Halo movies from now on.
You mean YOU want them to do it. Just because you hold an opinion about a topic doesn't mean others do. I myself would be fine if they stopped doing them. Do I like them? Absolutely, they look wonderful, but I'm content with them just sticking to in-game models and previous styles used for cinematic scenes. And also, you know that is extremely unlikely to happen, right? I could at the very least see them doing the visuals one last time for Halo 6 (and any story DLC for HW2 should it come out), but it's not like they have a contract saying "you need to do the cutscenes for our games until we tell you not to". I'm 100% sure they have other projects they can and definitely should work on besides Halo.
K27R wrote:
I'm a little bit confused as to why you were watching Barbie movies.
Who doesn't have a sister that watches Barbie?
Well, let me think for a moment.... me. I have a brother.
K27R wrote:
I'm a little bit confused as to why you were watching Barbie movies.
Who doesn't have a sister that watches Barbie?
Well, let me think for a moment.... me. I have a brother.
Add me to the list cause I'm an only child. Only footage I've even seen of that stuff are TV ads and a segment in a Pyrocynical video.

...Don't ask.
Wraith0912 wrote:
K27R wrote:
However, all these years, and even now, I disapprove of the artstyle they chose, the visuals (look, appeal) and animation. (Looks similar to terminal scenes). In fact Barbie movies, as horrible as they actually appear visually (way too 3D and unrealistic and have never improved over the decade), I've come to the conclusion that Barbie movies are more visually appealing than what we see in the Fall of Reach. Same with Nightfall for that matter.

Well, considering the fact that Nightfall is somewhat limited in terms of visual appearance due to it being live action and FoR being 100% animation, I don't see how that's a good comparison. Sure, the overall new art style may be uglier in terms of what we have before, but I also fail to see how it's even logical to compare this to this.
K27R wrote:
We want Blur Studios to make Halo movies from now on.
You mean YOU want them to do it. Just because you hold an opinion about a topic doesn't mean others do. I myself would be fine if they stopped doing them. Do I like them? Absolutely, they look wonderful, but I'm content with them just sticking to in-game models and previous styles used for cinematic scenes. And also, you know that is extremely unlikely to happen, right? I could at the very least see them doing the visuals one last time for Halo 6 (and any story DLC for HW2 should it come out), but it's not like they have a contract saying "you need to do the cutscenes for our games until we tell you not to". I'm 100% sure they have other projects they can and definitely should work on besides Halo.
Once again, a seeker not of the best, but the least.
K27R wrote:
Wraith0912 wrote:
K27R wrote:
*snip*
Once again, a seeker not of the best, but the least.
Uhh...what? I don't understand the "Once again" part. Did you say that to someone else first or me first?

Ok, firstly I wouldn't say "a seeker not of the best, but the least", I'd say "a seeker not of the best, but the realistic". You have to understand that sometimes the quality of animations won't be good due to a plethora of things. Choice of animators, time constraints, technology, whatever. Sometimes it just won't be good. You have to make do with what you have, and realize that sometimes the best just isn't available. Like I said, It is very unlikely Blur will stick around to do the cutscenes for however long Halo goes to, either out of economic reasons, time/resource constraints, or interest in other projects. I just don't think it's that realistic. And like I said again, I do like the Blur scenes, but I would be fine with just standard ones if they can't do it.

Secondly, I would appreciate it if you can respond constructively and at least address some of the points I made. Saying I prefer low quality things doesn't really hold a lot of strength to it if you don't back it up. Just saying.
Wraith0912 wrote:
K27R wrote:
Wraith0912 wrote:
K27R wrote:
*snip*
Once again, a seeker not of the best, but the least.
Uhh...what? I don't understand the "Once again" part. Did you say that to someone else first or me first?

Ok, firstly I wouldn't say "a seeker not of the best, but the least", I'd say "a seeker not of the best, but the realistic". You have to understand that sometimes the quality of animations won't be good due to a plethora of things. Choice of animators, time constraints, technology, whatever. Sometimes it just won't be good. You have to make do with what you have, and realize that sometimes the best just isn't available. Like I said, It is very unlikely Blur will stick around to do the cutscenes for however long Halo goes to, either out of economic reasons, time/resource constraints, or interest in other projects. I just don't think it's that realistic. And like I said again, I do like the Blur scenes, but I would be fine with just standard ones if they can't do it.

Secondly, I would appreciate it if you can respond constructively and at least address some of the points I made. Saying I prefer low quality things doesn't really hold a lot of strength to it if you don't back it up. Just saying.
Most successful videogame franchise, being limited to only low quality development? I don't think that's a wise or believable idea. I think for most films and games 343 made, they were lazy in some area (not because of some resource restraint). Its unrealistic to believe any normal person could cone up with the best results sure but 343, Microsoft's most treasured company right now, earning millions upon millions? I super doubt they can't come up with the best results. Conclusion, its just laziness. Here's one example, good story, bad graphics. Or, bad story, good graphics (visuals etc). Doesn't take a genius to realise both story and visuals need to be excellent to make so.ething excellent.

btw I meant no disrespect but its hard to express ones opinion on Waypoint without extreme criticism. The motivation for cool ideas for example are frequently frowned upon. Plus my ideas are more appealing than a realistic thinker. Besides that, I'm a critic who does know what works.
K27R wrote:
Wraith0912 wrote:
K27R wrote:
Wraith0912 wrote:
K27R wrote:
*snip*
Once again, a seeker not of the best, but the least.
Uhh...what? I don't understand the "Once again" part. Did you say that to someone else first or me first?

Ok, firstly I wouldn't say "a seeker not of the best, but the least", I'd say "a seeker not of the best, but the realistic". You have to understand that sometimes the quality of animations won't be good due to a plethora of things. Choice of animators, time constraints, technology, whatever. Sometimes it just won't be good. You have to make do with what you have, and realize that sometimes the best just isn't available. Like I said, It is very unlikely Blur will stick around to do the cutscenes for however long Halo goes to, either out of economic reasons, time/resource constraints, or interest in other projects. I just don't think it's that realistic. And like I said again, I do like the Blur scenes, but I would be fine with just standard ones if they can't do it.

Secondly, I would appreciate it if you can respond constructively and at least address some of the points I made. Saying I prefer low quality things doesn't really hold a lot of strength to it if you don't back it up. Just saying.
Most successful videogame franchise, being limited to only low quality development? I don't think that's a wise or believable idea. I think for most films and games 343 made, they were lazy in some area (not because of some resource restraint). Its unrealistic to believe any normal person could cone up with the best results sure but 343, Microsoft's most treasured company right now, earning millions upon millions? I super doubt they can't come up with the best results. Conclusion, its just laziness. Here's one example, good story, bad graphics. Or, bad story, good graphics (visuals etc). Doesn't take a genius to realise both story and visuals need to be excellent to make so.ething excellent.

btw I meant no disrespect but its hard to express ones opinion on Waypoint without extreme criticism. The motivation for cool ideas for example are frequently frowned upon. Plus my ideas are more appealing than a realistic thinker. Besides that, I'm a critic who does know what works.
Umm, I wouldn't say that Halo hasn't really been successful in these recent years. I mean so far BF seems to be the king of FPS now (Or Overwatch I haven't played it.) But back to point, knowing that Halo 5 had the lowest marketing in the Halo franchise it would certainly hurt their budgets.
K27R wrote:
Wraith0912 wrote:
K27R wrote:
Wraith0912 wrote:
K27R wrote:
*snip*
Once again, a seeker not of the best, but the least.
Uhh...what? I don't understand the "Once again" part. Did you say that to someone else first or me first?

Ok, firstly I wouldn't say "a seeker not of the best, but the least", I'd say "a seeker not of the best, but the realistic". You have to understand that sometimes the quality of animations won't be good due to a plethora of things. Choice of animators, time constraints, technology, whatever. Sometimes it just won't be good. You have to make do with what you have, and realize that sometimes the best just isn't available. Like I said, It is very unlikely Blur will stick around to do the cutscenes for however long Halo goes to, either out of economic reasons, time/resource constraints, or interest in other projects. I just don't think it's that realistic. And like I said again, I do like the Blur scenes, but I would be fine with just standard ones if they can't do it.

Secondly, I would appreciate it if you can respond constructively and at least address some of the points I made. Saying I prefer low quality things doesn't really hold a lot of strength to it if you don't back it up. Just saying.
Most successful videogame franchise, being limited to only low quality development? I don't think that's a wise or believable idea. I think for most films and games 343 made, they were lazy in some area (not because of some resource restraint). Its unrealistic to believe any normal person could cone up with the best results sure but 343, Microsoft's most treasured company right now, earning millions upon millions? I super doubt they can't come up with the best results. Conclusion, its just laziness. Here's one example, good story, bad graphics. Or, bad story, good graphics (visuals etc). Doesn't take a genius to realise both story and visuals need to be excellent to make so.ething excellent.

btw I meant no disrespect but its hard to express ones opinion on Waypoint without extreme criticism. The motivation for cool ideas for example are frequently frowned upon. Plus my ideas are more appealing than a realistic thinker. Besides that, I'm a critic who does know what works.
Umm, I wouldn't say that Halo hasn't really been successful in these recent years. I mean so far BF seems to be the king of FPS now (Or Overwatch I haven't played it.) But back to point, knowing that Halo 5 had the lowest marketing in the Halo franchise it would certainly hurt their budgets.
REQ packs certainly compemsted millions. Amazing the fan base spent so much on that garbage. H5 is an exams of bad story (laziness, not lack of resources) but good visuals and cutscenes. Fall of Reach is a good example of Good story, but unappealing visuals.
I agree with the thread post title not the body of it. The movie looks plastic and was horrible. I would say 4/10 is maybe too generous. Did not connect with any characters and made young MC seem like a jerk. Halo Legends was far superior as far as animated Halo universe.
The Fall of Reach was the title of the three part series because it is an adaptation of the book with the same name. The visuals of this movie weren't the best but the story made up for that in my opinion. I've watched it twice now and enjoyed it both times.
ETE2001 wrote:
The Fall of Reach was the title of the three part series because it is an adaptation of the book with the same name. The visuals of this movie weren't the best but the story made up for that in my opinion. I've watched it twice now and enjoyed it both times.
Agree. Worth watching again soon myself. Story makes up for the visuals as you say
I liked the visuals and the story.
I think the story is what counts. It's honestly the best movie they've released to date compared to the others ones they've release *cough* nightfall *cough**cough*. The animation at first was a little weird on why they chose it but it doesn't really take away from the movie that much.
It's also the only one I've actually bought
I think the story is what counts. It's honestly the best movie they've released to date compared to the others ones they've release *cough* nightfall *cough**cough*. The animation at first was a little weird on why they chose it but it doesn't really take away from the movie that much.
Totally agree
K27R wrote:
EDIT: Halo: Fall of Reach is an excellent movie. This message of this article, is not about the story, but the overall visual appearance of the film. I disapprove of it and like many would love to see better quality visuals.

Notes about the movie:

- Title is misguiding. This movie has nothing to do with the planet Reach or anything that impacts it. Events such as training took place on Reach but nothing in this movie indicates its fall. Instead, Harvest has a stronger presence of falling than Reach does by miles.

- After watching this I am strongly compelled to play any videogame 343 might create where you play as Young Master Chief. This movie introduces a lot of mixed feelings about characters, thongs you love and and things you hate, but ultimately John is a hero and it would be great to play as him fighting the Covenent during the early years if the war.

- Elites use Halo 5's artsyle. Practically brutes rather than slender.

- Final note, the first five minutes of the movie are hard to follow and difficult to understand, but the story finally picks up eventually. The end of the movie was awesome, however, the final words about Sam (chief's friend) were exaggerated. Sam did not pave the way etc, he did not teach any valuable lesson as Blue team supposedly makes out. All Sam did was sacrifice himself mainly because of a previous accident on board a Covenent cruiser. He did not do anything for blue team during his final minutes except prevent the Covenent from disarming the nuke. He is a hero for that only, but no ultimate lesson was actually taught or invoked. Not even Sam attempted to give a massage. He simply announced that he couldn't go with Blue Team and had to stay behind. He had no choice. For god sake that doesn't send a big message, it was merely circumstances.

Rating 8/10 movie.

Rating NOTE: If the movie had better visuals (such as anime, or blur, or had a much better and realistic 3D visuals and animations, 1 extra point is deserved. However this is not the case. The movie basically looks like plastic, and loses a score.

The movie also loses one score for the ending and the beginning. 80% of Blue Team's speech for Sam, their lost comrade, was untrue and - or pointless. It would've been beautiful to only acknowledge the friendship they once had with him, rather than make up stories where Sam paved the way to victory from the beginning (which is untrue). Blue team should've just been sad and that's it. No pretend stories would've made the ending perfect. The beginning with Dr Halsy and Keyes was also unclear. A stronger relationship or strong verbal communition was heavily needed.

Main Article: Just wanted to let 343 know that, I've only just put the Fall of Reach DVD in my Xbox, and surprisingly the story is going good so far. Actually, so far the story is excellent!

However, all these years, and even now, I disapprove of the artstyle they chose, the visuals (look, appeal) and animation. (Looks similar to terminal scenes). In fact Barbie movies, as horrible as they actually appear visually (way too 3D and unrealistic and have never improved over the decade), I've come to the conclusion that Barbie movies are more visually appealing than what we see in the Fall of Reach. Same with Nightfall for that matter.

Halo Legends was actually the coolest movie 343 ever made because it was pure cartoon and pure anime. (Except the last episode was similar to Barbie 3D).

I'm sure the entire Halo community agrees that we never want to see a movie with the same animation and visuals as Barbie ever again. We want Blur Studios to make Halo movies from now on. I'd also appreciate more anime movies too.

(Note: if this article is relocated don't blame me I couldn't find the correct section in the forums to post this, aka FoR)

Edit: wow the story is going great so far (still watching) very good and intense moments

Final Note: 343, please don't make movies that look like pastic
The Movie is called The Fall of Reach because it's based off of the novel (with the same title). The art style is a little unique, but it wasn't exactly a big production so expectations shouldn't be too high.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2