Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

30 FPS for X1X and 60 FPS for PC?

OP NeW YoRk LeGenD

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Can someone help me clear this up.

1)Does anyone know if the X1X can surpass 30 FPS?

2) Can a PC user hit 60 FPS?

I was under the assumption that HW2 code could only do 30 FPS. If this is not true and pc can achieve higher FPS then forget mouse and keyboard, that will be a huge advantage there. The reason I feel so strongly about this is because when I played halo wars DE on my console and then loaded it up on my PC you could feel how much smoother and more fluidity to the gameplay because I was getting better fps. I know nothing when it comes to actually coding a game So was just looking for some clarification. Might be a stupid question but someone had to ask!
"forget mouse and keyboard, that will be a huge advantage there."

While nice, I don't quite see how 60 FPS gives any tangible advantage over 30 FPS in an RTS.
The Xbox One X might be locked to 30 FPS just as the Xbox One is. PC can get 60 FPS, with the correct Hardware of course.
PC has amazing fluidity and undoubtedly makes macroing/microing a lot more responsive. Only reason to play on Xbox (if you have access to both) is to have an active solo war playlist.

While nice, I don't quite see how 60 FPS gives any tangible advantage over 30 FPS in an RTS.
Well explain to me why halo wars DE was sluggish on console and when I loaded it up on my pc my units moved faster took commands faster was just a lot smoother and better gameplay. If this theory is true then how could that not be an advantage especially in big engagements when ur sluggish and don’t know or feel it and a PC @ 60 FPS will micro your units with ease.

the game play from halo wars de on console vs pc was NIGHT and DAY.
I thought Xbox One X was supposed to be 60fps lol
CRISTIAMUZ wrote:
Well from everything I read halo wars 2 is targeting 30 FPS on CONSOLE . Halo 5 is 4k @ 60 FPS. Reason being is although I love my new Xbox one X , they have the same exact CPU as the Xbox one it’s just overclocked slightly. So the extra ram is great it makes the console super fast and load times. The better GPU is awesome we get 4k gaming. As for RTS GAMES they are driven by the cpu so I wish developers targeted 60fps over better graphics in this specific game . To be honest outside of the foliage and grass and slight shadows here and there the 1080p version of HW2 looks like same as on the X .

This doesn’t apply to other games like halo 5 and COD , they look amazing in 4k. They hit 60 FPS. So overall im pleased with my purchase of the X1X but wish HW2 hit 60 FPS on console.

EDIT: I found this video on YouTube. Check it out and lmk your thoughts . Here the Link
I wish they would just remove the cap. Let my game go to 45 or 60 frames I got the new 1 to push the boundaries not see leaves better. Lol
I wish they would just remove the cap. Let my game go to 45 or 60 frames I got the new 1 to push the boundaries not see leaves better. Lol
Yea I agree the target should have been 60 fps for the X (if possible) and during 3v3 engagements IF the cpu couldnt hit 60 fps then let it dip during big engagements to 45-30fps. This is the issue in general. Microsoft wanted all the Xbox’s to be able to play each other so this X1X was not a next gen console. Can’t have one Xbox (X1X) playing at 60 FPS and a reg Xbox (Xbox one, Xbox elite, Xbox one S) playing at 30fps that’s only acceptable when it’s console vs PC duhhhh lol.

Biggest issue is RTS games being heavily demanding on the CPU. The X1X has the same CPU as every other Xbox , it’s just upclocked. So I didn’t see huge improvements in HW2 but other games I did see a big improvement .
HW2 doesn't seem very demanding on a CPU in comparison to other RTS games I've played, but I guess if it's only an overclocked Xbox One CPU it would get bottlenecked. Adding in a better CPU might have made the Xbox One X a bit too pricey and the extra CPU power might have gone to waste in most games.

I would have liked an unlocked frame rate for HW2 on PC
CRISTIAMUZ wrote:
Well from everything I read halo wars 2 is targeting 30 FPS on CONSOLE . Halo 5 is 4k @ 60 FPS. Reason being is although I love my new Xbox one X , they have the same exact CPU as the Xbox one it’s just overclocked slightly. So the extra ram is great it makes the console super fast and load times. The better GPU is awesome we get 4k gaming. As for RTS GAMES they are driven by the cpu so I wish developers targeted 60fps over better graphics in this specific game . To be honest outside of the foliage and grass and slight shadows here and there the 1080p version of HW2 looks like same as on the X .

This doesn’t apply to other games like halo 5 and COD , they look amazing in 4k. They hit 60 FPS. So overall im pleased with my purchase of the X1X but wish HW2 hit 60 FPS on console.

EDIT: I found this video on YouTube. Check it out and lmk your thoughts . Here the Link
Sounds Interesting, I'm still hunting down a Scorpio edition and will black friday a 4k tv
CRISTIAMUZ wrote:
CRISTIAMUZ wrote:

Sounds Interesting, I'm still hunting down a Scorpio edition and will black friday a 4k tv
Does it have to be a Scorpio? Or just a an Xbox one X? I don’t think they are making anymore Scorpio editions .
HW2 doesn't seem very demanding on a CPU in comparison to other RTS games I've played, but I guess if it's only an overclocked Xbox One CPU it would get bottlenecked. Adding in a better CPU might have made the Xbox One X a bit too pricey and the extra CPU power might have gone to waste in most games.

I would have liked an unlocked frame rate for HW2 on PC
I believe they could have used a better CPU not just over clock the original. How much could it cost when your mass producing these units and besides they make all their profit on the software side and XBL subscriptions. Anyways that’s just my rant, my opinion.

Check out this Video on YouTube. I posted it up above but the guys shows you Xbox one S vs Xbox one X both at 30 FPS but towards the end of the video look at the PC version it’s 1080p @ 60 FPS. The graphics look the same as 4k X1X BUT look how fluid and smooth the gameplay is in big engagements at 60 FPS. They should have definitely shot for this 60 FPS target , you can see it and most definitely feel the difference when you play.
I want 60fps gameplay
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show

Well explain to me why halo wars DE was sluggish on console and when I loaded it up on my pc my units moved faster took commands faster was just a lot smoother and better gameplay. If this theory is true then how could that not be an advantage especially in big engagements when ur sluggish and don’t know or feel it and a PC @ 60 FPS will micro your units with ease.

Sluggishness isn’t a frame rate issue. More likely a CPU bottleneck or a response delay for whatever reason.

Units can still move and respond quickly with a lower frame rate (30). It just isn’t as visually smooth.
The two aren’t co-dependent.

Sluggishness isn’t a frame rate issue. More likely a CPU bottleneck or a response delay for whatever reason.

Units can still move and respond quickly with a lower frame rate (30). It just isn’t as visually smooth.
Watch the link above and you can clearly see when the pc @ 1080p and 60 FPS in a big engagement , the units move smoother and don’t stutter or doesn’t seem bottle necked. So your saying the pc has a better cpu which makes the game smoother during big engagements ? But console vs pc is still level playing ground ? I just know halo wars DE was night and difference gameplay from console to PC. So it all comes back to the CPU not being Able to handle the load as good as say my intel i7 cpu.

Watch the link above and you can clearly see when the pc @ 1080p and 60 FPS in a big engagement , the units move smoother and don’t stutter or doesn’t seem bottle necked. So your saying the pc has a better cpu which makes the game smoother during big engagements ? But console vs pc is still level playing ground ? I just know halo wars DE was night and difference gameplay from console to PC. So it all comes back to the CPU not being Able to handle the load as good as say my intel i7 cpu.
I’m saying that strictly 30 FPS versus 60 FPS won’t provide a tangible advantage. It will simply look a little smoother with 60.

If one user is experiencing a delay, choppiness, or sluggishness, then yes, that user will be at a disadvantage over someone not experiencing those issues, regardless of frame rates.

Typically, when experiencing these issues, the game is reaching and pushing the limits of the hardware. Different processes will tax it in different ways. RTS are more CPU intensive than GPU, as the varied and large armies require a ton of calculations. You may experience a frame rate drop (getting fewer frames than 30, when 30 is the norm) as the system becomes overburdened, and that can cause a disadvantage, but that’s a different matter.

This is the long and short of it - and somewhat bastardized - version of it.
Can someone help me clear this up.

1)Does anyone know if the X1X can surpass 30 FPS?

2) Can a PC user hit 60 FPS?

I was under the assumption that HW2 code could only do 30 FPS. If this is not true and pc can achieve higher FPS then forget mouse and keyboard, that will be a huge advantage there. The reason I feel so strongly about this is because when I played halo wars DE on my console and then loaded it up on my PC you could feel how much smoother and more fluidity to the gameplay because I was getting better fps. I know nothing when it comes to actually coding a game So was just looking for some clarification. Might be a stupid question but someone had to ask!
First of all 30 -> 60 fps on a rts is no big deal. Should you argue a 1.3 TFlop gpu vs my 18 TFlop gpu is fair. No

I’m saying that strictly 30 FPS versus 60 FPS won’t provide a tangible advantage. It will simply look a little smoother with 60.

If one user is experiencing a delay, choppiness, or sluggishness, then yes, that user will be at a disadvantage over someone not experiencing those issues, regardless of frame rates.

Typically, when experiencing these issues, the game is reaching and pushing the limits of the hardware. Different processes will tax it in different ways. RTS are more CPU intensive than GPU, as the varied and large armies require a ton of calculations. You may experience a frame rate drop (getting fewer frames than 30, when 30 is the norm) as the system becomes overburdened, and that can cause a disadvantage, but that’s a different matter.

This is the long and short of it - and somewhat bastardized - version of it.
There is noticeable delay, choppiness and sluggishness when playing on an xbox compared to PC.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2