Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

343 Killed Halo Wars Series

OP HobbinGuy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
If you haven't seen it already, the latest community update makes it official: The Halo Wars Series is officially over (at least for the foreseeable future).

This is beyond upsetting, as I truly believe Halo Wars 2 was a terrific game, the best game on Xbox One. Four years later, I still play it and thoroughly enjoy it.

I get it, it didn't sell, but I still feel it's a mistake. There was talk of a Halo Wars 3 with space battles. What a terrific idea. Too bad that dream is dead.

While I thank 343 for giving Halo Wars a sequel in the first place -- and a game I can continue to enjoy -- what a tremendous downer that it ends this way.
Yea very sed for halo wars but this is how business works the game had low sales people were not really interested in it only the hardcore or fans of the series bassicaly. It didn’t make money so there was no reason to keep supporting it or add content I don’t see another halo wars game in the future if ever I think today the series died R.I.P.
What i think is funny is that HW2 servers went down right after that post, which is probably a coincidence, but a really bad coincidence.

At least we can say that MCC wouldn't have been as good as it is now, if it wasn't for most of the halo wars team going to MCC
surfer45 wrote:
What i think is funny is that HW2 servers went down right after that post, which is probably a coincidence, but a really bad coincidence.

At least we can say that MCC wouldn't have been as good as it is now, if it wasn't for most of the halo wars team going to MCC
I'm glad they fixed MCC. But the HW series was terrific. I wish it didn't die so ignominiously.
My most played game on the Xbox One. This game is fantastic. It's heartbreaking.

I still hope that Halo Wars 3 will happen. It's seems it's put on the ice for now but that it may change in the future.
HobbinGuy wrote:
If you haven't seen it already, the latest community update makes it official: The Halo Wars Series is officially over (at least for the foreseeable future).

This is beyond upsetting, as I truly believe Halo Wars 2 was a terrific game, the best game on Xbox One. Four years later, I still play it and thoroughly enjoy it.

I get it, it didn't sell, but I still feel it's a mistake. There was talk of a Halo Wars 3 with space battles. What a terrific idea. Too bad that dream is dead.

While I thank 343 for giving Halo Wars a sequel in the first place -- and a game I can continue to enjoy -- what a tremendous downer that it ends this way.
I hated to hear this. I really enjoyed both Halo Wars and Halo Wars 2. Both had good story and gameplay, and I liked to see the Halo universe expand into a new genre. Unfortunately, this isn't that surprising. It's no secret that HW2 didn't sell well, in spite of how good it was.

The truth is, Halo Wars only appealed to a narrow audience (Halo fans who are also RTS fans), which limited its commercial potential. Heck, the lack of posts being made about this announcement in this very forum is evidence of that (post something in the Halo Infinite forum however, and you'll have tons of people jump on it right away).

That said, I'll remember Halo Wars fondly. Like Captain Picard said: "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."
I thought they said a long time ago they were going to tweak Terminus Firefight. In the end, I guess they never did.
I'm fine with no more updates, but please for the love of god bring it to Steam. I hate using the Windows store.

And here's hoping that after Infinite that they maybe have a small team work on HW3
Very sad for halo wars but I guess their main focus now is for infinite since we are creeping up on its launch.
Personally I'm glad, 343 never put in the effort to properly balance the game or add new content that was worthwhile. Easier to just cut support than continue a broken and unfun game.
Its not that surprising, I just don't know what 343 ever expected. Wars was never going to hit massive sales/player base numbers because its an RTS on a console.
I just wish they would've had the decency to also release it on steam before they pulled the plug. I think I've played more HW1 on pc than I ever did on my 360 thanks to mods and a flat out better UI. As much as I'd like to play HW2 occasionally I'm not going to go dig out my xbone just to do it.
This is something that should be expected for any game. It should instead be surprising that Halo Wars 2 has been updated for so long as Halo Wars 1 stopped getting any major updates after 6 months.

In addition to that, the greatness of a videogame isn't only decided by the frequency of updates, there exist few other factors that have a much higher importance.
I can make the greatest rts ever made on console
They should’ve kept it going. I see no reason not to.
Halo wars was awesome the banished is a welcome addition to the franchise its sad to see that happen rip halo wars
It's not dead, just dormant
Maybe Halo Wars 3 can be released, this part of franchise is not dead
The bad thing is not that they stopped supporting this game after 4years. The bad thing is that they left the game at unfinished state. I would say that it is even worse than Halo mcc used to be. Servers in this game are worse than mcc had. Constantly being disconnected/frozed and desync errors in game are on daily basis. Even more it happens almost in every 3rd game or more... at least 1 of 6 players gets dropped of game because of server/connection/desync problems.Another problem is that this game should have more maps than the first one but in the end it had even less maps. Yes maybe it looks like it has more maps but it does not. They only made scaled version of maps. If you play 1v1 or 2v2 or 3v3 bedrock for example then you can see it is the same map only scaled for 1v1 or 2v2 or 3v3 and that leads to other thing that they could basicly make much more maps like they did fort Jordan(fort Deen HW1) but even that map is not finished and it is totally useless as it is glitched and not available in any multiplayer playlist... same goes for fissures(i know that map got out of competitive playlist because of 3rd player start base spawn location) but that spawn could be fixed just by relocating 3rd player to one of 2 bases near your 2 teammates . Or they could simply remade the map with the creator as they would reuse all the stuff they had when they were making the map.
The worse thing is that this game has huge potential but it never got used.They could make spearbraker leader (just make 3 more versions of spearbraker hero for upgrades) and use some units from blitz as special units for that leader. Make some competitive objective playlist in matchmaking game, some yapyap playlist and others. Basicly the playlist is same from launch with only difference of cross play with PC . They could add creator mode for creating simple maps and player could use stuff and scenery that is already in game for creating scenery and maps (similiar to age of empires) and they could make maps for multiplayer and make it available for it. That way we could have more maps for multiplayer and terminus firefight which has only 1 map -_-. And if the maps were tested to be fair they could go to competetive playlists. They could have basicly added 8-10 more updates that could be medium or huge :) if they only wanted to. But again they didnt even bother to fix server/connection and desync errors so here is that... They only wanted money and look how that turned. If they went back to this game like mcc with support and updates it could make similiar reasults like mcc. And they are earning money from it as you can see sales on PC .Bad thing is that this stuff is already in game but it is not used. Like spearbraker in campaign ,special units in blitz and playlist are Easy to make...the creator mode would be harder as it is only for devs but they could remake it even for players if they wanted to. Postums Postum could look into it and maybe suggest to do some stuff from this above. Maybe after mcc updates are done and hw team that is working on them right now could go back to hw2.As i said, this game has potential and it could bring many more players + making it with steam together like mcc did it could be really good.If they put as much effort in it as they did now with mcc it would be really good especially when in Halo Infinite main enemies are banished which are also in Halo wars 2 main ennemies.
As long as the characters live on in the story of Halo maybe appearing in Infinite I’ll be happy.
Daily reminder that if you spam air units, especially in 3v3, you're bad at the game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2