Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

[Locked] 5 months later and still no patch tonnerf decimus?

OP chaosguy67

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
It's not just "Patching XML balance files" or "changing of numbers", it's quite a bit more than than. You can't just change a few numbers, wrap it up and throw it out at the community. Each change needs to be assessed on how it may affect other areas of the game, some changes may have a knock on effect and some might require other work to be looked at. Testing and QA play a bit part in this as well and all of that takes time.

"Just hire more employees" - in a perfect world, sure, but it's never as easy as that. Even for large companies there's a lot of work that needs to happen before you even start looking at doing that - budget management, job specs. Just because 343's parent cmpany is Microsoft doesn't mean that money is instantly available for them to throw around.
stckrboy wrote:
It's not just "Patching XML balance files" or "changing of numbers", it's quite a bit more than than. You can't just change a few numbers, wrap it up and throw it out at the community. Each change needs to be assessed on how it may affect other areas of the game, some changes may have a knock on effect and some might require other work to be looked at. Testing and QA play a bit part in this as well and all of that takes time.

"Just hire more employees" - in a perfect world, sure, but it's never as easy as that. Even for large companies there's a lot of work that needs to happen before you even start looking at doing that - budget management, job specs. Just because 343's parent cmpany is Microsoft doesn't mean that money is instantly available for them to throw around.
Well there's a lot of truth in your words but the first paragraph perfectly shows my biggest complaints with the current maintenance of HW2.
The game balance is omnipresent and immediately affects every single person that plays multiplayer matches in Halo Wars.

It is certainly not as shiny as releasing a new map that is hyped for a few days or even weeks but it has a significantly higher impact on the perceived "state" of the game.
You write that it's not just about "patching XML balance files" - well - it definitely SHOULD BE.
You already roll out balance patches without publishing a new build - so why cant you just iterate over the game balance once per month?
The impact of a not quite perfect balance change would be far less severe if it can simply be fixed in the next month as opposed to a 3-4 month cycle...

I'm pretty sure this boils down to the single question whether you consider A) monthly balance changes to be of equal value compared to B) a new custom map.
Seriously, I'm pretty sure a substantial part of the community would prefer A even it means that we don't see a new map.
x6767 wrote:
x6767 wrote:
It's a prioritization issue, nothing else.
And given that we don't have any information on what the time is spent instead, I wouldn't really call it "understandable".
We do know what he spends the rest of his time on, working on MCC which has a lot of those projects that 343 is trying to complete.

Unless you just want to call Wrensi lazy, then be my guest.
I'm not calling anyone lazy.
I'm just pointing out that balance changes cannot be that time consuming.
If Wrensi really had half a day per week where he could think about balance patches, then we would have already seen many more.
If anyone is to blame, its likely just his manager who decided that balance patches do not deserve that time.

=> Prioritization issue.
I hope It come next month
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not change content that has been edited by a moderator or flame or attack other members.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
chaosguy67 wrote:
The majority of the people on here know hes broken... i just cant believe its almost been 5 months since the last patch and still nothing on what they are going to even do to him...

Ive been hearing the "we are looking into him" for a while now.... a new map even game out before decimus could get patched...

Can we get any sort of info on his nerf?
Deci isn’t getting nerfed this patch
x6767 wrote:
stckrboy wrote:

Well there's a lot of truth in your words but the first paragraph perfectly shows my biggest complaints with the current maintenance of HW2.
The game balance is omnipresent and immediately affects every single person that plays multiplayer matches in Halo Wars.

It is certainly not as shiny as releasing a new map that is hyped for a few days or even weeks but it has a significantly higher impact on the perceived "state" of the game.
You write that it's not just about "patching XML balance files" - well - it definitely SHOULD BE.
You already roll out balance patches without publishing a new build - so why cant you just iterate over the game balance once per month?
The impact of a not quite perfect balance change would be far less severe if it can simply be fixed in the next month as opposed to a 3-4 month cycle...

I'm pretty sure this boils down to the single question whether you consider A) monthly balance changes to be of equal value compared to B) a new custom map.
Seriously, I'm pretty sure a substantial part of the community would prefer A even it means that we don't see a new map.
Based on my interpretation from well over a year of responses that I have reviewed across various social media outlets including HaloWaypoint.com the stack rank of what the players want most would be as follows.

#1 is New Maps
#2 is New Leaders
#3 is New Modes

Balance patches wasn't even in the top 5 for most wanted. Additionally I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think this threads understanding of how games are made is not on par with what actually goes into them from reading the responses. The additional matter of fact attitude on this and rudeness is unwarranted.

These ideas may hold true in the groups collective bubble sure, but from the entirety of the community it doesn't. We have listened to the entire community for quite some time on what they want and delivered when we can on those pieces. Sometimes a patch can be done quickly, sometimes it can't. There are other things that the team works on beyond Halo Wars 2 and some times they take precedence.

Should you have something constructive to add to the conversation, by all means add it. But this threads idea of how game development works and the "because I say so it's true" in an attempt to capture sentiment across the community on these topics is far from accurate. I have a lot of science on my side for this one and a LOT of feedback.

Cheers,
Postums
Considering that 343 has both explained that they're looking into nerfing Decimus and explained why he won't be nerfed in the coming patch I believe this thread has served its purpose.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2