Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

About Rushing...

OP A Sangheilli

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I've been noticing some people complaining about rushing, so I'm going to give my opinion on it. IMO, rushes require some skill to pull of, as it requires you to sacrifice a large amount of your economy and then hide your units to get the jump on your opponent. Fail to do so, your push is screwed. Then for the guy defending it, you need to scout early on. Be aware of what the enemy is doing. This I feel is why rushes can be so effective. Elimination is the result of ignorance. It's your mistake, do better next time.
I would also prefer to get rushed and lose than be stuck in a siege turtle on those maps that make it hard to break
I would also prefer to get rushed and lose than be stuck in a siege turtle on those maps that make it hard to break
Saw a guy post about a turtling Yapyap. It sounded like agony to break through the defenses Yap set up.
Rushing has its place, and I do feel most of it is somewhat balanced, but Colony's Goliaths are kind of a joke. They kill a base faster than just about any unit in the game, and are nearly impossible to kill with other tech 1 units. As for rushing as a whole, I do feel it should be a little more difficult to pull off considering you are trying to end the game in 5 minuted as opposed to 30+ in a regular game.
I will never understand the people who say rushing takes no skill. Apparently sitting in your base for 15 minutes doing nothing takes more skill than balancing your economy and microing your units in the early game.
I will never understand the people who say rushing takes no skill. Apparently sitting in your base for 15 minutes doing nothing takes more skill than balancing your economy and microing your units in the early game.
This man. This man right here. He RTS’s.
The worst part when you complete a rush by taking out 1 main base and you need “back up” but your other 2 ally’s are still figuring out if they should build more bases instead of sending out reinforcements or use leader powers loool which lets the other 2 opponents have a chance to make a come back
Anyone feel angry when someone says "You rushed. Git gud." I'm here to have fun, and if I want to rush, use anything to stop me. If you can't, then that's on you.
Silver ww wrote:
Rushing has its place, and I do feel most of it is somewhat balanced, but Colony's Goliaths are kind of a joke. They kill a base faster than just about any unit in the game, and are nearly impossible to kill with other tech 1 units. As for rushing as a whole, I do feel it should be a little more difficult to pull off considering you are trying to end the game in 5 minuted as opposed to 30+ in a regular game.
Maybe you could use a glassing beam? Or suis to kill Goliaths.
Silver ww wrote:
Ive had very good luck countering goliaths with either suis or snipers depending on which faction im playing as. The trick is to make sure you scout and to try and intercept the army before it reaches your base.
It's just text book projection, you hurt their feelings, they assume it's all your fault...

Also, spoiler alert, scouts wreck goliaths 😉
I never rushed until last season, for me it's a no brainer now, you need to pull out a significant amount of units at T1, the goal isn't necessarily to destroy enemy main base but have something to counter a rush and also control power nodes or the whole map.
Khimaros wrote:
It's just text book projection, you hurt their feelings, they assume it's all your fault...

Also, spoiler alert, scouts wreck goliaths 😉
Good thing I play Shippy then. Ghosts to suis.
Shawn96 wrote:
I never rushed until last season, for me it's a no brainer now, you need to pull out a significant amount of units at T1, the goal isn't necessarily to destroy enemy main base but have something to counter a rush and also control power nodes or the whole map.
This hits the nail on the head. I mostly play 3v3 and kept getting rushed so I tend to build an army of goliaths to protect my base and allies bases and collect the resources. Goliaths are animals I've held off a rush from two separate opponents with them and they're excellent for taking down bases too.
YUNG JeD1 wrote:
The worst part when you complete a rush by taking out 1 main base and you need “back up” but your other 2 ally’s are still figuring out if they should build more bases instead of sending out reinforcements or use leader powers loool which lets the other 2 opponents have a chance to make a come back
Maybe your team mates do it because they can't be -Yoinked!- in playing in a rush game. I played some multiplayer recently where my team mates rushed in and basically killed the game. It was tedious as hell and hence I stopped playing and waited for them to kill the game off in record time to satisfy their childlike attention span.

I really can't understand rushing. If you want a quick game that is over in under 5-10 minutes, why bother with Halo Wars 2? When they do rush, I just self destruct and wait for the game to tick out. If it's so important for you to improve your ranking rather than have a nourishing game, then I simply can't be -Yoinked!- with you. Some might say I should stay and fight but experience of playing this and Halo Wars before it is that if they rush and fail, they just quit.
For those of you who like rushing play team war with three decimuses on your team, immediately run up to an opponents base and lighting vortex their harvester and power extractor and destroy them. You can literally do it in the first 30 seconds of the game and you will get and instant win.
Its not necessarily about trying to end the game asap. Also I consider it an early attack, the only leader truly capable of rushing is barracks 1st colony, everyone else has to get some eco going first which is where the skill starts to come in.

Its a risk/reward situation, if they succeed or do enough to delay your tech level then it gives them a leg up in the mid game. However crush that rush, especially before it even starts or only gets half way across the map and you'll be in front. Because they'll have sunk their resources and have nothing to show for it. Also if they don't do it right it can be useless. There's nothing as hilarious as a 90% pop flamer army half way across the map as you've got hogs or hornets going to greet them because they mistimed it.
In my experience goliaths are wrecked by scouts, heros, snipers even mass marines. The trick is to find them before they get to your base. They are very expensive and putting resources into them can really leave you behind if it doesn't payoff.
YUNG JeD1 wrote:
Maybe your team mates do it because they can't be -Yoinked!- in playing in a rush game. I played some multiplayer recently where my team mates rushed in and basically killed the game. It was tedious as hell and hence I stopped playing and waited for them to kill the game off in record time to satisfy their childlike attention span.

I really can't understand rushing. If you want a quick game that is over in under 5-10 minutes, why bother with Halo Wars 2? When they do rush, I just self destruct and wait for the game to tick out. If it's so important for you to improve your ranking rather than have a nourishing game, then I simply can't be -Yoinked!- with you. some might say i should stay and fight but experience of playing this and Halo Wars before it is that if they rush and fail, they just quit.
The avg competitive RTS match time is around
10-15mins in my experience, HW2 is a little specal because of the large amounts of leader power's so a losing player will often stay around much longer in hopes they can reach a power spike in there leader power weel and maybe make a comeback, hour long or even half an hour long match is rare in a competitive RTS game.

Another thing worth mentioning in HW2 specifically, a rush is before 3:00-3:30 anything after that is to slow to be effective and the other player could be on T2 already.

More often then not Player-A will be playing the
T1 Game, building lost of core units and maybe a hero with at least 1 barracks/RaidCamp to counter there opponents T1 Build, while doing all of that Player-A is going to scout Player-B and realize that his opponent is playing SimCity3 where he will quickly rally all his units to his base, without any counter units or turrets Player-B is going to lose.

This all happnes anywhere from 4-10mins
And is the most common lose from casual player's
Who will blame The Game, The player, really anything else instead of themselves.

Long matchs are earned not given.
If you don't play the t1 your screwed tho… The new trend seems to be rushing only with jumpbrutes and nothing else impossible to defend if your not waiting at your base.
Shawn96 wrote:
If you don't play the t1 your screwed tho… The new trend seems to be rushing only with jumpbrutes and nothing else impossible to defend if your not waiting at your base.
Nope, that's not a new trend. Nor is it indefensible.
Shawn96 wrote:
Nope, that's not a new trend. Nor is it indefensible.
It's not indefensible but you need be near your base otherwise it's lethal. And I see it much more than before, in fact around season 5 I was champion and I didn't played T1 now pretty much everybody above diamonds do.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3